Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 ** 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 **  (Read 163249 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:55 PM

Finally, I am sorry Lamaros, no idea about your overheating and never heard anyone lamenting that problem specifically with Blood Bowl.

Looks like it might be an issue with my laptop. I will see what I can do to make it better before the 11th. Really annoying. Especially now that it is summer here...
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:51 PM

I... I think I like high elves. I feel dirty.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #107 on: January 02, 2011, 05:14:49 AM

I hear ya. I have a fling going on with Pro Elves.

Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 02, 2011, 12:06:42 PM

Hi,

I was busy during last season, but sign me up for this one!

Haven't decided on which team yet, as I need to play a bit around with all the new ones.

Leaning towards Necromantic, but it might end up with anything.

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 02, 2011, 12:50:55 PM

Awesome, Scadente. Do you have Legendary Edition? Regular Edition (the one we used for Season #1) doesn't work anymore. And follow the steps listed to sign up, mail, pm, steam, etc. Welcome back, veteran.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #110 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:56 PM

I bought the Legendary Edition. Downloading it from Steam now. I'd like to be in on this season.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 02, 2011, 12:56:12 PM

And we have 29, if Xuri confirms.

EDIT: I pushed AndyDavo, someone I met in game and I personally invited for many reasons but has no involvement with f13, at the bottom of the list. This way we have 28 confirmed players, Scadente and Haemish are both in, and if Xuri bails we take AnyDavo who is now officially in the waiting list. We need to get to 32 to be able to accept more players.

Glad you made it, Haem.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:04:59 PM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: January 02, 2011, 02:43:54 PM

This should have been the conclusion of the Season #2 thread but to prevent extreme bumping, I am putting it here. It has the double purpose of celebrating S#2 heroes, and to give new coaches an idea of the big names they are going to face in S#3. Remember, this is not just for show: the players you see here are actually the most experienced at what they do, have good SP, skills, and are the lucky charms of their coaches, meaning they will always be the focus of an action, and they would cause emotional distress if injured or killed. So while these guys and girls are getting an acknowledgement today, they are officially reserving themselves a spot in anyone's crosshair. Watch out for these true badasses.

* Season #2 Individual Awards *

Most Experienced Player: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)

Sowarg is the only player in Season #2 that reached level 4, and as a consequence will be the ONLY player starting Season #3 at level 4. He's a werewolf with Strip Ball, Dodge and Block, he scored 6 TD (best in the League) and injured 2 players. He's easily the League MVP, just one step ahead of the amazing Calvin & Hobbes duo from the League runner up Alive Not Dead team.

Best Scorer: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)

Again, Sowarg Whitmane ruled this category. It's fair to say that he got the most of his TD in a lucky game where he scored 4, but his overall class has only be held behind by his team, not always on par with his performances and unable to snag a place in the playoffs. Calvin and Hobbes are here too, hell of a pair, but the underdog hero is Mal'sila, a wood elf wardancer that managed to score 5 TD (and 3 receptions) in what has been a very hard season for his team. She's only level 2, but definitely a player to keep your eyes on.

Most Violent: Brian the Tyrant (Necco Waivers, Coach Avaia)

Brian is a true enforcer. He's a level 2 wight who didn't score, didn't run, didn't do much other than crippling opponents. He sent 6 (in 7 games) to an emergency visit with the apothecary, an unparalleled feat which earned him the title of Most Violent Player of S#2. He has the Frenzy skill, and apparently he made good use of it. The runner up is As the Mad, Strazos' heroic lineman who injured 5 players (in 8 games).

Best Killer: Calvin the Menace (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)

Finally an award for what has probably been the best player all around in Season #2, outclassed only by the crazy achievements of Avaia's Sowarg, and by a weak post-season. Calvin is a level 3 werewolf with Block and Dodge, he scored 5 TD (in 7 games), injured 4 players, received one pass, ran 118 yards and most important of all is the only player in the whole League who killed 2 opponents. His impact on every game is just terrific and a few points short of level 4 only Nuffle knows what this player will be able to achieve in S#3. Definitely one of the best 3 players in the whole League.

Best Runner: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)

Again, Sowarg Whiteman snags it. With 206 yards ran in 7 games (29.4 per game), 14 more than Hobbes the Tiger's 192 (in 9 games, 21.3) he's the unstoppable king of running. Werewolves are the best at this, it's a known fact, but Sowarg set a new standard for the role. Will the new coaches be able to deal with such a powerhouse, and will the strategies change in S#3 to try and contain the dominating running game of the Werewolves? Sowarg gets his 3rd award and leaves everyone else to worry about it.

Best Thrower: Naeltor (Hazardous Hippies, Coach Teleku)

It's not a surprise that a Wood Elf gets the Best Thrower award, but Naeltor is only level 2 and his extra skill is just Leader. And it has to be this true leadership spirit that led him to deliver 8 passes, 2 more than the High Elf runner-up Daugorathion Lanlynnsel, and his inconsistent team to get a few points to close the regular season with a honourable 5th place in Group A. And that's not all, cause Naeltor got the next and way more important award too...

Best Thrower (Yards): Naeltor (Hazardous Hippies, Coach Teleku)

Everyone can throw a football, but not many can connect for 128 yards in 6 games. It's 21.3 yards passed per game, which is even more amazing if you think that the runner up, Amazon throweress Sylvia Plath, threw nothing more than 11.3 per games (for a total of 68). Naeltor is the king of the passing game, and if he will be supported by some good receivers he could turn the tide of a League which has been so far ruled by running teams.

Best Receiver: Ivan A Bitealot (Morsel, Coach Megrim)

We all know Vampires can cover pretty much any role effectively, and this one decided that he loved to receive passes from anyone on his team. 6 receptions in 8 games are better than any elf, high, wood, pro or whatever, could even dream. Ivan is an awesome player all around though, he's level 3, has Block and a nifty +1 Movement Allowance and in S#2 he managed to score 3 TD (9th overall), injure 3 players (9th overall), knock out 7, pass for 28 yards and run for 178 (3rd overall). In short, he's a beast.
Runner up is the High Elf Veassen Malyatinu, a catcher from Pointy Hat Squad, which got 5, while his teammate and other catcher Lanlaithion Norosume' got 4. 9 receptions for this pair didn't save the High Elf team from a disappointing season, but both these catchers are experienced enough to be a thorn in the side of any defense in S#3.

Best Interceptor: Rhasscaeon Augdirdar (Pointy Hat Squad, Coach Proudft)

Interceptors didn't shine at all in S#2, so the award goes to the only player who was at the right place at the right time, High Elf Thrower Rhasscaeon Augdirdar took one for the team, and one for himself. Good job, buddy.

Summary:

Most Experienced Player: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)
Runner up: Hobbes the Tiger (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)

Best Scorer: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)
Runner up: Calvin the Menace (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)

Most Violent: Brian the Tyrant (Necco Waivers, Coach Avaia)
Runner up: As the Mad (Diplomatic Immunity, Coach Strazos)

Best Killer: Calvin the Menace (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)
Runner up: no one

Best Runner: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, coach Avaia)
Runner up: Hobbes the Tiger (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)

Best Thrower: Naeltor (Hazardous Hippies, Coach Teleku)
Runner up: Daugorathion Lanlynnsel (Pointy Hat Squad, Coach Proudft)

Best Thrower (Yards): Naeltor (Hazardous Hippies, Coach Teleku)
Runner up: Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar Utd., Coach Falconeer)

Best Receiver: Ivan A Bitealot (Morsel, Coach Megrim)
Runner up: Veassen Malyatinu (Pointy Hat Squad, Coach Proudft)

Best Interceptor: Rhasscaeon Augdirdar (Pointy Hat Squad, Coach Proudft)
Runner up: no one

** Season #2 Overall MVP: Sowarg Whitmane (Necco Waivers, Coach Avaia)

Runner up: Calvin the Menace, (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)
2nd Runner up (ex-aequo): Ivan A Bitealot (Morsel, Coach Megrim) - Hobbes the Tiger (Alive not Dead, Coach Llyse)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:51:36 PM by Falconeer »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 02, 2011, 04:30:24 PM

God I love you for doing the player write ups.

So carry over from Season 2 to Season 3 is a go then?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 05:28:23 PM

And we have 29, if Xuri confirms.

EDIT: I pushed AndyDavo, someone I met in game and I personally invited for many reasons but has no involvement with f13, at the bottom of the list. This way we have 28 confirmed players, Scadente and Haemish are both in, and if Xuri bails we take AnyDavo who is now officially in the waiting list. We need to get to 32 to be able to accept more players.

Glad you made it, Haem.

Is 28 any good to us though? 7 groups of 4 (too few matches), or 2 of 14 (too many)?

I'd be inclined to form the main season of either 5 groups of 6 or 4 groups of 8 and fill the spaces with bye teams if the goblin plan doesn't work.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:22 PM

There may be an option to go 7 groups of 4 but play each person in your division twice, which would not be terrible.

EDIT: I just fiddled with it. You can go 7 groups of 4 and set it to 6 games, meaning you play each person in your division twice. BUT you can't stick playoffs on the end for some dumb reason. Playoffs only show on either 1 or 2 divisions. We could figure the eight teams (or whatever) at the top and bring them into a second division set up as playoffs or just bite the bullet and do the 2 divisions of 14 each.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:36:05 PM by Modern Angel »
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #116 on: January 02, 2011, 06:49:29 PM

Six feels a little short to me if one is playing the same teams twice.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:25 PM

2 groups is not enough for this size of league.

Just bite the bullet and set the playoffs up as a new league when the season ends. Run the league section as a championship.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #118 on: January 02, 2011, 07:57:17 PM

I think 6-8 games is the sweet spot any more and it takes too damn long and the coaches with bad teams have their faces rubbed in the mud a few too many times. Five may be on the low side but I'd prefer 5 to 10.

If we're setting up playoffs as their own competition does that mean we get to do division leaders + wildcard teams because that would be fairly awesome.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #119 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:31 PM

Whatever just make it work, my Norse need to pound some faces!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #120 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:06 PM

I'm fine with 6-8 games.  I'd just prefer them to be against different opponents if the season is going to be that length.  Otherwise it seems like too much would depend upon the seeding of the different divisions.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #121 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:09 PM

Yeah double round robin could be good or it could be really bad and considering some teams have a big head start it feels like very bad is more likely.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:49 PM

Personally I think we should be ambitious and try 2 divisions of 14 teams. 13 games are less than an NFL season, it would last about three months, which is not too long, and would give all teams a chance to develop with lots of points and skills, which is often more involving and addictive than winning. I agree that coaches who are behind might face a loss of interest, but as Season #2 proved the game is random enough to leave room for surprises up to the very end. I'm playing

Finally, with 14 teams for division, we could totally go for a playoff that involves the first 8 (16 out of 28 total), meaning there would probably be plenty of reasons to stay involved. One thing I missed in Season #1 and #2 were more matches, it doesn't feel real enough with just 6 or 7 to me.

With the 7 groups solution each coach only faces 3 other coaches/team/races unless he gets to the playoff. That's pretty lame if you ask me.

All of that said, if we can get to 30 we can run 3 divisions, setting up playoffs as a separate League, pick the best 16 teams for the playoffs and have a more balanced 9 games for Regular Season. But I still think 13 games is kind of cool. As I said, I think Blood Bowl has the weird quality of being quite addictive when you lose too, for it gives you the feeling that 'at least I am getting SPs'. Maybe it's just me.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #123 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:25 PM

I certainly won't argue with that; it's the optimal solution to me.  I'd love to have a long season.

I would want to set the TV cap at 2000 for spiralling expenses though if we went that way simply because it would give teams more room to grow even if their chances at a post-season were minimal in order to keep them interested.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:37 AM

Personally I think we should be ambitious and try 2 divisions of 14 teams. 13 games are less than an NFL season, it would last about three months, which is not too long, and would give all teams a chance to develop with lots of points and skills, which is often more involving and addictive than winning. I agree that coaches who are behind might face a loss of interest, but as Season #2 proved the game is random enough to leave room for surprises up to the very end. I'm playing

Finally, with 14 teams for division, we could totally go for a playoff that involves the first 8 (16 out of 28 total), meaning there would probably be plenty of reasons to stay involved. One thing I missed in Season #1 and #2 were more matches, it doesn't feel real enough with just 6 or 7 to me.

With the 7 groups solution each coach only faces 3 other coaches/team/races unless he gets to the playoff. That's pretty lame if you ask me.

All of that said, if we can get to 30 we can run 3 divisions, setting up playoffs as a separate League, pick the best 16 teams for the playoffs and have a more balanced 9 games for Regular Season. But I still think 13 games is kind of cool. As I said, I think Blood Bowl has the weird quality of being quite addictive when you lose too, for it gives you the feeling that 'at least I am getting SPs'. Maybe it's just me.

A long season with a longish finals isn't my idea of ideal. I think 10 games normal season is the longest it should be really. It's more exciting knowing you can start fresh sooner/make a new team than it is to play another game and build CP if you're not doing well. But that's just my view.

If anyone wants to play games please add me as a steam friend. I am sick of playing randoms, but I don't want to message any of you out of the blue and annoy you either, so I invite you to solicit me if you see me online.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:36:27 AM by lamaros »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:41 AM

F*** it.  I'm In.  I'll probably get my ass handed to me on a regular basis but every league needs its L.A. Clippers. ACK!  I was thinking of going Dwarf or Undead, haven't decided yet.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:46 AM

If we have another in then go with 30 teams and set up a dummy team if it's needed. Five divisions of 6. In ANYTHING except 1 or 2 divisions (maybe 4 works but I don't think so) you will have to set up playoffs as a small competition separate from the regular season. This is completely and totally fine. I am completely not opposed to 2 divisions, though, because I like playing lots of Blood Bowl.

I agree with setting the spiraling limit to 2000 if you go long season.

Playoffs can go with division champions and wild cards. Yes, that is awesome. Yes, BB needs more creative league set up in terms of numbers.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:37 AM

If Xuri confirms we already are 30. If he doesn't, we need one more. If we get to 30, we'll do 3 divisions. First 5 of each division will get to the Playoffs plus the best 6th overall as a wild card. If we get to 32, 4 divisions of 8 teams.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:52 AM

If you get to 32 then you don't have to make separate playoffs, I don't think. I'd shoot for 32 even if you need to cook up some dummy teams. I'd also basically cap it at 32...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 03, 2011, 07:15:11 AM

I am strongly against the dummy teams. I hated the in-game rankings being fucked up in last season. Not to mention money and fun factor bugs.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #130 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:48 AM

If anyone wants to play games please add me as a steam friend. I am sick of playing randoms, but I don't want to message any of you out of the blue and annoy you either, so I invite you to solicit me if you see me online.

I message people out of the blue every day for games. Then again I'm from the pre facebook myspace sms school of its fine to ignore me it wont hurt my feelings which works well because most of the time I get no response. I hope I'm not bothering anybody by doing that but I much prefer playing against non randoms to randoms.

-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #131 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:18 AM

No, Hoax. It's cool. You reminded me I needed to print out those pdfs and read through them :)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #132 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:14 AM

Will do.  Hoax and I have been having some exciting games, and I'd love to play with more f13ers.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: January 03, 2011, 09:27:10 AM

I am strongly against the dummy teams. I hated the in-game rankings being fucked up in last season. Not to mention money and fun factor bugs.

I don't think anyone is a fan of it, but if the alternative is leaving people out or sub-optimal division sizes I'd take dummy teams.

Another idea to avoid dummy teams...

Set up 2 leagues "f13 season 3 - Trammel conference" and "f13 season 3 - Felucca conference". Each has 16 teams, 2x8 groups + playoffs; once each conference has a winner you set up a one off super bowl match to finish the season. As you've split it into two conferences, volunteers can take a goblin/halfling/ogre team in the opposite conference to their primary team in order to fill spaces and avoid dummy teams.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:33:30 AM by eldaec »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:33 AM

Trammel conference ... Felucca conference

That would force me to rig the divisions randomizer. There's no way I am gonna play in a Trammel anything.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:00 AM

Qeynos Conference/Freeport Conference if you'd prefer?  ACK!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #136 on: January 03, 2011, 11:09:42 AM

Ever since this thread got stickied I forget to read it, somehow that section of the forum just doesn't exist when I look at it.

Anyway, my preference would be for a shorter rather than longer season. A season that takes 3 months to play with 30 players is just asking for games to be missed as people have vacations, lose interest, etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:08 AM

Ive updated my steam name to match my f13 name now. I don't mind playing a long season, I have more fun growing teams/players then winning games.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #138 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:38 AM

Your name, it bodes well for you.

edit: I'd lean toward whatever mixes up the opponents more and leads to more character development. I'd like to get attached to a few guys, if I was ever lucky enough to get a star ranked player in a season, it would be cool to get a mini of that character and paint it, imo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:00:06 PM by Sky »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 03, 2011, 12:09:47 PM

I had a practice game last night and I actually managed to get the ball one square into the opponents half for the first time!!!  Yahoo!

*sobs*

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 **  
Jump to: