Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Transformers: Dark of the Moon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transformers: Dark of the Moon  (Read 43934 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:42 PM

Like there's this one guy who writes utterly serious, dark fiction about silly shit like Gilligan's Island and Fat Albert. The funny/shocking/fascinating part is that it's also really good. If he just changed the names and a few minor details he'd have good original stories about island castaways slowly turning on each other, or a fat guy trying to make it in the hood, or whatever, that no one would think to connect to those shows.

I think I may have read one by this guy. It was creepy but really well written. If memory serves the skipper ended up making Maryann and Ginger his sex slaves and Gilligan became his sort of cackling insane Igor stand-in. The professor was one of the last sane ones left and it ended with a sort of cat and mouse hunt across the island between the professor and the skipper after everyone else was dead.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #211 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:31 PM

Yeah that sounds like the one. I'll just link it for good measure.

Anyway, on topic, there's no such thing as a "guilty pleasure" really. There are only pleasures. If you feel guilty it's because you wish you had better taste than you do, and that's really just your problem.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 01, 2011, 02:04:37 PM

This is one of those movies you have to turn off your brain before watching and just enjoy the eye candy of explosions and giant smashing robots.

Caught a showing last night -- it was entertaining, but I was not expecting _Tree of Life_ or even _Inception_ (or _The Matrix_).

My assessment definitely nowhere near as harsh as this dude:

And who is Michael Bay now? _The Rock_. _Armageddon_. _Pearl Harbor_. _Bad Boys II_. And finally, the _Transformers_ trilogy, his magnum opus – perhaps not only for him but for every man-child, the long expectant Second Coming of Lost Time, as once more we can all be children at play, building things and blowing them up. Going back to that old Strickler review, it's amazing to see how far the critical community has come around on Bay. He is now the antichrist, and not without qualifications. The flirtations between Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler in _Armageddon_, the idiot take on history in _Pearl Habor_, and simply the erotic fetishizing of violence in everything…Michael Bay makes movies for our worst impulses, making the idiot in his collective audience purr. Attending one of his movies is like being caught masturbating – except everyone else in the room is masturbating also. It is –_fantasy_ as _form_. He's succeeded in creating a treasured aesthetic, as the sensibility of 1990s music videos have now become commonplace in action films. Films don't breathe today, so much as they glide down a runway, bullets firing away at the same time. To complete the formula, Bay puts in his sitcom humor, something the folks in the suburbs will find very delightful. Explosions, cheeky laughs, Oscar-nominated actors….more explosions…as the movies are the epitome of glossy fashion, user-friendly models downloadable for fulfillment.

Eek!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 02, 2011, 04:12:24 AM

While it doesn't totally invalidate his criticisms of Bay, that reviewer is a fucking awful writer.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #214 on: July 02, 2011, 12:16:38 PM

Was it the copious underscores that gave it away?  why so serious?

That said, he could probably script write for Michael Bay and instantly improve the Baysplosions.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 03, 2011, 01:05:49 PM

This is one of those movies you have to turn off your brain before watching and just enjoy the eye candy of explosions and giant smashing robots.

Bay can't even get the explosions and giant smashing robots right. The only thing I can figure about these movies sucesses is that the Nazis didn't go far enough. Make theaters with poision gas vents, advertise "Transformers 3!" and halfway through the movies, start up the gas pumps.

Anyone dumb enough to go see one of these things should be put down before they breed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:10:06 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #216 on: July 03, 2011, 01:33:09 PM

Bay can't even get the explosions and giant smashing robots right. The only thing I can figure about these movies sucesses is that the Nazis didn't go far enough. Make theaters with poision gas vents, advertise "Transformers 3!" and halfway through the movies, start up the gas pumps.

Anyone dumb enough to go see one of these things should be put down before they breed.
What?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #217 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:53 PM

That's a really offensive post for absolutely zero reason.  Even for a stand alone movie that comment is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, but it's the third movie in a series, how about maybe avoiding them?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #218 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:23 PM

$372 million worldwide on a budget of $195 million, and the holiday weekend isn't even over yet in the US.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:53 PM

Facepalm

Hic sunt dracones.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: July 03, 2011, 03:32:19 PM

I thought it was fun.  The plot was meh, but the action sequences were pretty good.  I mean you don't go see Michael Bay films for plot... geez.   why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #221 on: July 03, 2011, 11:51:38 PM

$372 million worldwide on a budget of $195 million, and the holiday weekend isn't even over yet in the US.

Did anyone, anywhere, at anytime, including me who thinks the movies have been ultimate shit, ever think that a Transformers sequel WOULDN'T make obscene wodges of cash?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #222 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:39 AM

It's down in attendance although the 3D enhanced ticket prices is making up the difference.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:11 AM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: July 04, 2011, 12:55:27 AM

Oh noes! This must be the first time in the history of EVER that footage from one film has been used in another.

Facepalm

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: July 04, 2011, 09:39:06 AM

Yeah, next you will be accusing them of using the same Bird of Prey blowing up animation from Star Trek 6 in Star Trek 7.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:00 PM

That's a really offensive post for absolutely zero reason.  Even for a stand alone movie that comment is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, but it's the third movie in a series, how about maybe avoiding them?

I'm frustrated that the bar for action movies has gone from Die-Hard to Retard. It means less movies that I want to go see. (and I love movies)

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #227 on: July 04, 2011, 03:52:49 PM

Well, I absolutely hated the first one, and only made it about 10 minutes into the 2nd one before killing it.  However, I've heard good things about this one from a great number of people I know, so it might actually be a lot better than the other two abortions.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: July 04, 2011, 03:57:34 PM

ackbar.jpg

if at last you do succeed, never try again
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #229 on: July 04, 2011, 10:20:51 PM

I'm frustrated that the bar for action movies has gone from Die-Hard to Retard. It means less movies that I want to go see. (and I love movies)

We've gone from Die Hard to Die Hard 4.0 in that time.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:59 AM

Well, I absolutely hated the first one, and only made it about 10 minutes into the 2nd one before killing it.  However, I've heard good things about this one from a great number of people I know, so it might actually be a lot better than the other two abortions.

It's not.

It's loud, obnoxious and WAAAY too long. But I do have to admit, it is by FAR the best application of 3D I have seen in a live action film. Mock Bay's little memo, but the colours were really good and bright and the action was fairly easy to follow and I have had a lot of trouble with that with other 3D movies (or action movies in general lately).

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #231 on: July 31, 2011, 06:07:36 PM

Not as terrible as I expected, but still left me hollow when it was over. The criticism of Bay fucking "Carlie" with the camera? Totally valid.  I got uncomfortable a few times and thought, "Shit, this is a kid's movie?"

Ironhide needs to avoid appearing in movies with Lenoard Nimoy.  Fucker.

Prime kicks ass, but can't fly for shit.  Decent way to waste half an afternoon if it's on the tube.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: August 11, 2011, 11:27:09 PM

This movie was uniformly terrible.

It took too long to start, spent too much time on what'shisname's personal life, girlfriend, and efforts to get a job.  The action was passable, but there wasn't enough to make up for the entirely long setup that preceded it.

Bleh.  100% regret seeing it.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: August 12, 2011, 02:12:05 AM

My sisters one of the best chemistry students in her school, a grad student, and not a video games/cartoons./anime nerd and she enjoyed this movie ACK! I hated this movie and my brain really hurts after watching it.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:24 PM

Final score: Over 1 billion dollars.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: August 22, 2011, 10:28:04 PM

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #236 on: August 23, 2011, 12:58:19 AM

Friend of mine said the movie was awesome in a 3D cinema, so I decided to take a peek. It gave me a reminder why I generally don't watch action movies anymore. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: August 23, 2011, 07:55:04 AM

You people are broken.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 07, 2011, 10:14:02 PM

Finally broke down and got this on DVD.

I made it as far as the Autobots returning to help the humans, and had to turn it off. I was able to finish Revenge of the Fallen, and that movie was crap. Which I guess makes Dark of the Moon subcrap? If this movie was a meal, I would have stuck my finger down my throat to puke up what I swallowed.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Transformers: Dark of the Moon  
Jump to: