Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Give & Get Sale + Wishlist Promotion (Big savings!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give & Get Sale + Wishlist Promotion (Big savings!)  (Read 23449 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 07:08:26 PM

Honestly, if not for the sale, I wouldn't have looked twice at AaAaaaAAAa! or however you spell that, and I"m glad I did.  It's easily the best $2.50 I've ever spent on a game.  It's like someone took one look at Mirror's Edge, realized the game mostly sucked, and distilled it down to falling through neat looking environments, since that's the bulk of what I ever did in Mirror's Edge, at least.

Weird, I had kind of the opposite experience.  Figured I'd try it for $2.50, played it a bit, got the treasure hunt achievement and probably won't play it again.  Decided if I want to jump off buildings and stuff I'd rather just play Mirror's Edge.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 14, 2010, 01:35:21 PM

None of you have excuses anymore.  Just Cause 2 is $7.50, and easily worth $60.  Go play the demo if you don't believe me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:53 PM

I did.  I still don't believe you.

However, $7.50 is pretty cheap.  Maybe I can stomach the voice acting and plot for that. 

I'll make my lunch one day this week so I can feel better about spending the money.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 01:42:08 PM

I don't need plot or voice acting to enjoy tethering people to cars and dragging them around or to propane tanks to send them flying into the air.  I like to think that this game is someone's physics experiment gone horribly wrong, hijacked by an asshole with a gun and no morals.
Rasix

Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:53 PM

I don't need plot or voice acting to enjoy tethering people to cars and dragging them around or to propane tanks to send them flying into the air.  

No, but you do need a halfway decent control scheme.

Maybe it works better on the PC, but it was tortuous on the PS3.

-Rasix
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 14, 2010, 01:52:44 PM

Well, return with a trip report and all that.  I had no real control issues with the ps3 version personally. My personal taste in games is already suspect though, but I'm not the one that bought a game he didn't like twice.   Tinfoil Hat

I'm half tempted to buy the pc version for the mods though, but I think it's probably best if I don't.  I already own too many games as is without replaying a long ass sandbox game I've mostly beaten.
Rasix

Reply #76 on: December 14, 2010, 01:57:38 PM

My personal taste in games is already suspect though, but I'm not the one that bought a game he didn't like twice.   Tinfoil Hat

Hmm, who did this?  (I just played the demo on the PS3).

This might be a good stresser for my new build.  Explosions are good for that. 

I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm sure you'll be dying to hear it.  awesome, for real   But for $7.50, this game just has to be amusing for a few hours.

-Rasix
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 14, 2010, 02:27:45 PM

Ah, sorry, thought you meant you'd already picked up the ps3 version.  Heh, I'm not dying to hear anything, I already know the game is awesome.   Grin

It's about sharing the love at this point, and making sure the developer stays in business.  That and I'm really, really bored at work today.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 14, 2010, 02:34:21 PM

Do any of the mods for it let me play as a female?  The demo I watched over Vu's shoulder looked interesting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #79 on: December 14, 2010, 02:42:18 PM

Do any of the mods for it let me play as a female?  The demo I watched over Vu's shoulder looked interesting.
Apparently. Here's one hack:

http://actualgameplay.com/playing-just-cause-2-with-the-female-character-bolo-santosi-wearing-a-skirt/

Note: I haven't tried this so use it at your own risk.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 02:45:18 PM

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:49 PM

I think they may technically be running afoul of game and prize law. 

How so? Tons of contests require you to buy in for the best chances and those who stick with the "No Purchase Necessary" side of it get the minimal amount of entries.

Because it doesn't look like you can qualify for the Grand prize without buying shit.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:50 PM

You just send in the cards. How can you not get the grand prize?
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:10 PM

I think they may technically be running afoul of game and prize law. 

How so? Tons of contests require you to buy in for the best chances and those who stick with the "No Purchase Necessary" side of it get the minimal amount of entries.

Because it doesn't look like you can qualify for the Grand prize without buying shit.

You need have sent in at least ten postcards for individual entries and then another one for the grand prize.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #84 on: December 15, 2010, 09:31:36 AM

Even some of the 'freebie' ones are purchase, there was a day I got zero because it was 'gift a game'. Which was the same day I stopped caring about the dumb promotion.

On Just Cause 2 at $7.50, we'll see what the xmas sale brings. If not, there's always next year. I still haven't played JC1, heh.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 15, 2010, 09:40:05 AM

I bought two indie packs and wasn't really all that sucked in by any of the games.  Then again, I've never liked platform games either.  I think I'll stick to sim/RPG games from now on.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 15, 2010, 10:40:19 AM

I like the indie games they are promoting, I had a good time with Beat Hazard last night and was definitely worth the $2.50. JC2 was on my wish-list anyways so at $7.50 I've found it to be worth it, I don't know if I'd say it is worth full price yet or not, but definitely a decent time at $7.50

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 15, 2010, 04:19:00 PM

Football Manager 2011 is $27.99 until Dec 20th.  At this price, I couldn't resist.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 15, 2010, 04:39:30 PM

I like the indie games they are promoting, I had a good time with Beat Hazard last night and was definitely worth the $2.50.

I'm having the opposite reaction.  Shatter and Beat Hazard were sitting on my list unplayed until this contest, and I'm probably never playing either of them again after this.  I mean, it's basically Asteroids/Breakout, you can't make it more EXXXXXTREME or whatever by wobbling the camera around and making everything neon, it just makes it frustrating when I can't see what the hell is going on because I apparently haven't slammed enough Mountian Dew to be able to differentiate enemy bullets from the goddamn orgy of random flashing sparkly shit that fills the screen.

It would be one thing if the objectives were something like "mess around with this game for an hour," but no, they're all like "get a score of X in survival mode" where getting a score of X is generally taking me an hour or more of playing the same goddamn level over and over again.  Having to reach some kind of cumulative score or something I could cope with, but this stuff is all "aww, missed it by three points, go back to the beginning and start AGAIN" which is a great way to turn what could be a fun time killer into a frustrating tooth-gnasher.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #89 on: December 15, 2010, 05:34:08 PM

Try using different music?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:52 AM

I like the indie games they are promoting, I had a good time with Beat Hazard last night and was definitely worth the $2.50.

I'm having the opposite reaction.  Shatter and Beat Hazard were sitting on my list unplayed until this contest, and I'm probably never playing either of them again after this.  I mean, it's basically Asteroids/Breakout, you can't make it more EXXXXXTREME or whatever by wobbling the camera around and making everything neon, it just makes it frustrating when I can't see what the hell is going on because I apparently haven't slammed enough Mountian Dew to be able to differentiate enemy bullets from the goddamn orgy of random flashing sparkly shit that fills the screen.

It would be one thing if the objectives were something like "mess around with this game for an hour," but no, they're all like "get a score of X in survival mode" where getting a score of X is generally taking me an hour or more of playing the same goddamn level over and over again.  Having to reach some kind of cumulative score or something I could cope with, but this stuff is all "aww, missed it by three points, go back to the beginning and start AGAIN" which is a great way to turn what could be a fun time killer into a frustrating tooth-gnasher.

They certainly are seizure-inducing milestones.  I found droplitz and Beat Hazard challenges relatively easy.  Beat Hazard is frustrating at first until you rank up a bit.  Once you level up you will get more lives, bombs, increased multipliers, etc.  I made the mistake of using a mixture of Led Zeppelin I and II instead of some techno tune.  Lots of pauses in Zeppelin that make you ineffective for extended periods of time.

Shatter on the other hand took me at least a couple of hours.  Very challenging, and many complaints on the challenge.  Apparently they have admitted that it may be a bit high.  I turned my resolution way down and it seemed to help a bit, but it mostly came down to luck.  I felt like rage quitting a couple of times on this one - except I was stuck staring at the flashy lights like hypno-toad.

Sitting at 8/10 with two more challenge days left.  Shouldn't be an issue.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 06:11:15 AM

They certainly are seizure-inducing milestones.  I found droplitz and Beat Hazard challenges relatively easy.  Beat Hazard is frustrating at first until you rank up a bit.  Once you level up you will get more lives, bombs, increased multipliers, etc.  I made the mistake of using a mixture of Led Zeppelin I and II instead of some techno tune.  Lots of pauses in Zeppelin that make you ineffective for extended periods of time.

Shatter on the other hand took me at least a couple of hours.  Very challenging, and many complaints on the challenge.  Apparently they have admitted that it may be a bit high.  I turned my resolution way down and it seemed to help a bit, but it mostly came down to luck.  I felt like rage quitting a couple of times on this one - except I was stuck staring at the flashy lights like hypno-toad.

Sitting at 8/10 with two more challenge days left.  Shouldn't be an issue.

I'm having the opposite issue, I got the Shatter challenge no problem first try but I'm struggling with the Beat Hazard challenge.  But knowing that it will get easier if I level up some will probably help.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 06:44:06 AM

Bandit pretty much said what I would have said in response to Kail on this.

Also, yeah, Beat Hazard gets very easy once you get a few ranks.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 16, 2010, 07:08:23 AM

I'm having the opposite issue, I got the Shatter challenge no problem first try but I'm struggling with the Beat Hazard challenge.  But knowing that it will get easier if I level up some will probably help.

Wow, first try on Shatter? Impressive - the first thought that came to my head was "Deaf, Dumb, and Blind; Sure plays a mean pinball"

Basically as you rank up in Beat Hazard you will start with full Beat Hazard and the ability to quickly get to the maximum 200x multiplier.  Best strategy just seems to be to not attack anything and build your multiplier to at least 100x and use bombs when you get in shit.  Then when you get to that point just go ape-shit destroying everything.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:31:00 AM by Bandit »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:56 AM

I finished with 11,100,000 points instead of 11,200,000 my first try on Shatter, and then proceeded to get worse scores my next 3 tries.

Got it the 5th try though!   awesome, for real
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 16, 2010, 08:10:40 AM

Wow, first try on Shatter? Impressive - the first thought that came to my head was "Deaf, Dumb, and Blind; Sure plays a mean pinball"

Sounds about right, I had to try the AAAHHHHH! challange probably a dozen times before I got it and it seems its going to be the same with Beat Hazard.  Also ironcily that song was in one of the challanges I did on RB3 last night. =P

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #96 on: December 16, 2010, 08:35:26 AM

Shatter in an awesome game, don't know how any of you couldn't enjoy it.   cry

Missed the Shatter challenge by 200 points on my first try, got it on the second try.  Though it didn't take very long.  All you do is select the Bonus level challenge, and then it has you play those three stages in a row (all of which go pretty damn fast).  If the score of those 3 together is higher, you got it.  Took me only a few minutes to to get it.

I'm currently sitting at 11 objectives met (I already owned several of the games they put up).  Must get 15 for the new hat...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:27 AM

I'm currently sitting at 11 objectives met (I already owned several of the games they put up).  Must get 15 for the new hat...

That's how I am also. I'm at 11 or 12 right now. Damn Steam and their hats.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:45 AM

I'm at 6/10 thanks to already having the L4D2 achieve.  I'm guessing I won't be getting 10.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #99 on: December 16, 2010, 09:26:43 AM

That's how I am also. I'm at 11 or 12 right now. Damn Steam and their hats.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Yeah, I'll get the 12th once I actually get around to playing Metro 2033.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 16, 2010, 10:49:53 AM

Valve has turned steam into an MMO and their shop into the item store -_-
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:52 AM

You have to admire the sheer evil genius of it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 16, 2010, 11:11:47 AM

Yeah, I'll get the 12th once I actually get around to playing Metro 2033.

Haha, I was trying to avoid reinstalling Metro 2033 and avoiding that objective as well.

Valve has turned steam into an MMO and their shop into the item store -_-

Best MMO in years Ohhhhh, I see.

You have to admire the sheer evil genius of it.

I do. My wallet does not.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 16, 2010, 02:46:55 PM

Whoot, Civ V on sale, knew it was coming.  I even planned at least one Christmas gift on it going on sale.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:53:14 PM by Thrawn »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 16, 2010, 03:49:18 PM

We should all post links to pictures/information MrB has bloodworthed on his steam profile for the smack talker achievement today why so serious?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Give & Get Sale + Wishlist Promotion (Big savings!)  
Jump to: