Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA.  (Read 178664 times)
Boedha
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: February 15, 2011, 01:17:52 AM

Think of the US public sex laws as a test.  If you screwed surreptitiously enough to not get caught, you passed!  If you got caught, then you were too public, and probably oughtn't've been doing that there.

Homes aren't an inherent protection from public sex because if they were, you know some assholes would be doing a reverse cowgirl on the screen porch in plain view of the neighborhood and try to claim that it was in the privacy of their home.

Yes, because in countries with less strickt laws this happens all the time.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #316 on: February 15, 2011, 04:43:54 AM

That's the base stone on the Coliseum, btw...the marble was stripped centuries ago.

Look at this picture. What is that stuff which appears to be some sort of modern poured asphalt/concrete being used as a sort of repair?
Right in the center of the picture covering the slope.

Im no archaeologist so maybe Im wrong but it looked pretty modern to me.

It's Concrete, which the Romans perfected and we didn't rediscover until ~1756.

https://fp.auburn.edu/heinmic/ConcreteHistory/Pages/timeline.htm    (Note 82AD)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #317 on: February 15, 2011, 05:20:30 AM

Roma has many problems, and if you look at it from a certain perspective it can be an ugly city. I definitely can't see reasons to stay there too long other than visiting all the landmarks and spending a few nights out assuming you know where to go and what you look for.

But this...

Quote from: Sand
After seeing what appeared to be asphalt poured on the Coliseum and that Marcus Aurelius' tomb was being used as a trash receptacle I couldnt flee fast enough.

makes you sound like a clueless dumbass. And I'm no archaeologist either, but what and where exactly is Marcus Aurelius' tomb?

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: February 15, 2011, 06:03:17 AM

Not that there is something wrong with the reverse cowgirl.

But yes, the idea that people would be screwing in plain sight because they would be allowed to at home is somewhat ridiculous. Aren't there indecent exposure laws or something for that? You can't have lawful missionary sex with your wife on the front porch either!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #319 on: February 15, 2011, 06:17:14 AM

Indecent exposure laws also cover public nudity.. the event that started this thread in the first place.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #320 on: February 15, 2011, 07:29:25 AM

You can't have lawful missionary sex with your wife on the front porch either!
Sure you can - you just can't get caught doing it. Trust me, it's amazing the places you can get away with having sex. But you've got to be smart, and as we've said - the same rules don't apply to foreigners, since The Man hates you and your unwashed masses yearning to steal our freedoms.

Now I've got this picture in my head of batman trying to dispose of the bomb in that hilarious old movie, can't fuck here - NUNS!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #321 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:08 AM

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: February 15, 2011, 08:43:28 AM

makes you sound like a clueless dumbass. And I'm no archaeologist either, but what and where exactly is Marcus Aurelius' tomb?

My apologies, not Aurelius but Augustus. And its in Rome located on the Piazza Augusto Imperatore.
Here in this picture one can see the great height between the outer and inner walls of the tomb. Passers by were throwing their drink cups, and fast food wrappers into the tomb and generally using the thing as one large land fill for trash.
I was saddened to see a historical landmark treated in such a way.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #323 on: February 15, 2011, 09:43:43 AM

On average, a very high average, Italians and especially Romans are disgusting people. That's a sad truth. But it doesn't completely overshadow the monuments and the ruins, not for a few days. Or shouldn't.

EDIT: One thing that should not be forgotten though, is that tourists, nationals and internationals, play a big part in degrading the historical sites. Most recent story that comes to mind is from a few months ago, when I visited S. Callisto's Catacombs (don't miss it when you are around! A real dungeon!) and the guide showed everyone a few points where the 1500 years old wall had been severely nibbled away by tourists smuggling off tiny pieces. So, while I hate Romans, and they have huge responsibility for letting things go, there's more than just them using ruins as trashbins. The most historical parts of the city are walked through, for the most part, by tourists holding the said drink cups and fast food wrappers. Italians are not so used to eat or drink while walking. No kidding.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:13:17 AM by Falconeer »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: February 15, 2011, 11:21:58 AM

I went down to a public cave I had toured when I was a kid and was upset by how many of the stalactites had been broken off by tourists. You've really got to be a special kind of selfish asshole to deface a public attraction like that.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:22 PM

On average, a very high average, Italians and especially Romans are disgusting people. That's a sad truth.

Yes - I decided every 5th one of them didn't shower regularly.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #326 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:10 PM

Homes aren't an inherent protection from public sex because if they were, you know some assholes would be doing a reverse cowgirl on the screen porch in plain view of the neighborhood and try to claim that it was in the privacy of their home.

Sounds to me like you've specifically spoiled his specific plans with that example.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:47:42 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: February 15, 2011, 01:36:59 PM

Re: Ruins

1. Concrete is a Roman invention, it's both entirely possible that you're seeing original concrete, and in the case that it is new it is period accurate to use it as a restoration material.  People hurf blurf about the impossibility of shit like the dark age Celtic buildings made out of fused earth and stone, and other more well known constructions, but what is generally not realized is how horribly fucked over the western world was by the Dark Ages.

2. As was said, shit piling up in the tourist attractions is generally the fault of tourists, not the locals.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: February 15, 2011, 01:47:51 PM

what is generally not realized is how horribly fucked over the western world was by the Dark Ages.
This really needs to be remembered, not momentary shit like 9/11. Because creationists, Kansas schools, tea partiers and Glenn Beck lead directly to said Ages of Not Being Very Bright.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: February 15, 2011, 04:29:15 PM

Hey. Don't you DARE to insult my beloved Middle Ages like that.

(Actually the "Dark Ages" were not that "dark". At all.)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #330 on: February 15, 2011, 04:59:33 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: February 15, 2011, 07:31:54 PM

Re: Ruins

1. Concrete is a Roman invention, it's both entirely possible that you're seeing original concrete, and in the case that it is new it is period accurate to use it as a restoration material.  People hurf blurf about the impossibility of shit like the dark age Celtic buildings made out of fused earth and stone, and other more well known constructions, but what is generally not realized is how horribly fucked over the western world was by the Dark Ages.

2. As was said, shit piling up in the tourist attractions is generally the fault of tourists, not the locals.

Don't forget to mention they used volcanic ash in their concrete which makes it loss porous and therefor longer lasting as rain doesn't damage it near as much.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:19 AM

That's still done, however the modern solution is to use ash collected from the scrubbers of coal plants.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #333 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:10 AM

That's still done, however the modern solution is to use ash collected from the scrubbers of coal plants.

Theres some new stuff where they use little foam pellets instead of fly ash to achieve ~80% lighter weight while still retaining a bunch of strength.  Beat that you dirty fucking romans.

ETA: Dirty fucking romans isn't meant to be disparaging, it is a descriptor gathered from information gleaned in this thread.  If 1 of 5 romans actually shower, and they all apparently enjoy fucking in cars, in parks, fondling themselves on playgrounds, etc.  'Fucking' is something that is an important part of their culture that us puritanical American's can't understand.

So, Dirty, fucking, Romans.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:32:49 AM by Nerf »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #334 on: February 20, 2011, 12:17:07 PM

Rimshot

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA.  
Jump to: