Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA.  (Read 178641 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #105 on: November 03, 2010, 10:31:14 AM

That would be me.

Man, I would be *awesome* at that game.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #106 on: November 03, 2010, 02:18:03 PM

To be fair I wouldn't hire a lawyer at this stage either, he's a Euro guilty of nothing more than being near some boobs.
Or more precisely, that's what he was. He's now got a warrant and in contempt, yeah? Could be padded with giving a false name, too, depending on if he Nerfs it up too much. And fleeing the country.

I guess I was being incredibly naive about the most likely result of his depraved activities.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #107 on: November 03, 2010, 03:05:17 PM

<cowboyhat>

So, lemme get this straight...we got ourselves an I-Talian transdingaling queer as a steer hiding in the bushes while takin' pichurs of american boobies? Off to Gitmo.

</cowboyhat>

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #108 on: November 03, 2010, 03:28:33 PM

Sky said what I was going to on the topic.. so..

That would be me.

Man, I would be *awesome* at that game.

I never played it, but someone who did once relayed one of the rules to me.  If you, as a player, show too much knowledge about the rules, your PC is instantly killed.   Sounded like a really fun game.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #109 on: November 04, 2010, 06:35:49 AM

I think I still have all the paranoia rulebooks.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #110 on: November 04, 2010, 07:00:41 AM

Lesser sentence offer for one of the models: "Disorderly person, 6 months probation, community service at a jail, court fees."

EDIT: She refused, and hence the "Trial by jury".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:13:32 AM by Falconeer »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #111 on: November 04, 2010, 07:12:49 AM

I don't think a naked model doing community service at a jail is getting off with a slap on the wrist.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #112 on: November 04, 2010, 07:17:01 AM

This really sounds like one of those things that would have been helped with rule #1:

Don't talk to cops. Ever.

Don't admit you were anywhere, don't admit you were doing anything. Don't tell them where you're going, what you where doing wherever you are. You didn't see anything.  If you aren't sure what your rights are, you can always ask before answering "Is that a command or a request?". If it's a request, politely decline. Obviously, traffic stops are different.

The US court system is an utter mess, and the best thing you can do is to try and stay out of it. Sadly, it sounds like everyone involved has discovered this first hand. Let this be a lesson to all of the rest. If everyone had kept their mouth shut on the way back, I suspect everyone would be in a much better position right now, if anyone was even charged at all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:26:40 AM by bhodi »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:01 AM

And here's the video that goes with what Bhodi says, that everyone in the US should watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 04, 2010, 09:49:42 AM

Heh.

I really didn't talk to them. They asked simple questions like "what were you doing, huh?", and the girls and the photographer briefly answered, admitting what we were doing. I remembered a thread or a series of posts from here on f13 about not talking to cops, so I didn't! Not much changed, other than they completely failed to read my address from my Italian ID, resulting in them sending the summon to a completely made up address. Oh yes, called the courthouse again yesterday and managed to get the address where they supposedly sent my summon: to my surprise, I never heard such address before, It is an Ann Arbor one but definitely not my girlfriend's place (and certainly not what's written on my ID!).

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:55 AM

and the girls and the photographer briefly answered, admitting what we were doing.
And, there's the problem. It probably won't affect you, but it's going to force that girl to plea bargain for community service in a prison plus likely thousands of bucks in court fees since she and the photographer have already admitted guilt for public nudity to the police. If she hadn't admitted what she was doing, they may not have even had cause to cite you. You weren't on scene and it seemed like they were too far away to reliably pinpoint that it was you; they were fishing and your friends leaped onto the hook. You should forward that to them :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:04:34 AM by bhodi »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:31 AM

What exactly is community service in a prison? And are we really talking about thousands of bucks in court fees?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #117 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:05 AM

What exactly is community service in a prison? And are we really talking about thousands of bucks in court fees?

Lesser sentence offer for one of the models: "Disorderly person, 6 months probation, community service at a jail, court fees."

Um, I was quoting you? Court fees + lawyer could easily come to thousands of dollars. Sorry that I said prison and not jail. Trial by jury is expensive, and they pass those savings on!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:08:39 AM by bhodi »
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:29 AM

And are we really talking about thousands of bucks in court fees?
Depending on how much it dragged on, yes.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #119 on: November 04, 2010, 10:10:06 AM

Seriously dude, get a lawyer and stop calling people yourself.  It's one thing for me to play armchair lawyer when it's just me vs. some asshole, but the repercussions of this are a whole lot more daunting than a few thousand bucks of security deposit.

Our justice system is not just, and you won't get anywhere at all trying to do anything yourself - it's a system designed by lawyers and for lawyers, so hire one.  You shouldn't talk to anyone except your counsel.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:30 AM

Heh, no bhodi my question wasn't about jail or prison. It was about.. what exactly do they expect you to do at the prison/jail? We have nothing like community service in Italy (that I know of), so I have no idea.

And Nerf, yes I'll get a lawyer at some point, but I want that point to be as late as possible. I am not in a strong position with my case, but at least I can afford "not to care", from where I stand. Yes, I do want to be able to travel to the US again, but worst case scenario, really, I just won't. Or I will in a distant future, when I'll be able to afford a lawyer without risking thousands of bucks that I really don't have.

I am not saying I won't hire a lawyer or I'll just evade this whole thing. I am only saying that I want to hire a lawyer as late as possible. If that will hurt my cause even more, well, be it. I really can't afford getting a lawyer to do extra stuff for me, like finding out the few infos I got so far by myself, and I think the letter I sent to the judge is reasonable (court clerk advised me to do so on the phone). It would have been so much easier if someone I know pointed me to a trusted lawyer, but this didn't happen so at the moment, protected by the ocean, and stuck with random internet lawyers, I prefer to probe, wait and see.

And consulate said there's no extradition for the crime of watching naked girls in the park.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 04, 2010, 11:01:49 AM

It's not going to cost you thousands of dollars right now, there's a good chance a lawyer can get your case dismissed and all you'll have to pay are his fees. If you don't sort out the fact that you didn't appear, while I don't know exactly what will happen, will probably be a lot worse and possibly turn into you being found at least in contempt of court or something similar. Easiest and cheapest way to deal with this would probably be get a lawyer to turn up, explain that the court screwed up which is why you didn't appear and if they don't have any real evidence beyond you being in the company of people who did something bad they'll probably be able to get your case dismissed.

If you leave this then you either won't be travelling to the US or may have some real headaches and cost before you ever manage to do so again. Seriously talk to someone even if it's your friend's lawyer and your going to be paying them. Ideally talk to someone in Italy or your Foreign Office about it.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:15 AM

And here's the video that goes with what Bhodi says, that everyone in the US should watch.

Aye, that was good.  He sure can talk fast though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #123 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:45 AM

Or, you know, contact the legal aid group that serves Ann Arbor. The one I linked. If they can't/won't help you, I would imagine they have a solid referral list.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #124 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:21 PM

Don't do that. Continue to do little-to-nothing and post about it daily on an internet forum. Above all, don't get a lawyer. They might fix it and then this thread would die.
 why so serious?

Seriously man, be sensible. Do you want to be flagged as a sex offender by international law enforcement and "detained" when you try to catch a plane or drive across (even European) borders down the line? Even fucking Nerf has seen that you need to talk to a lawyer. Now.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #125 on: November 04, 2010, 12:59:28 PM

Nerf was ready to go to court over a lawn. Then possibly unleash his batshit crazy pooch.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #126 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:34 PM

Aye, that was good.  He sure can talk fast though.

35 seconds into part 2 has the cop state how lucky everyone is to deal with the US legal system as opposed places like ........ Italy, which I thought was kinda funny.
WayAbvPar

Reply #127 on: November 04, 2010, 01:19:36 PM

And Nerf, yes I'll get a lawyer at some point, but I want that point to be as late as possible. I am not in a strong position with my case, but at least I can afford "not to care", from where I stand.

I am almost to the point of actively hoping you get shafted at this point. You really need to wake the fuck up and start caring, or fuck off and never visit the US again.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #128 on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:42 PM

It is hard to be a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer and not be flaky.

I have never played WoW.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #129 on: November 04, 2010, 02:03:18 PM

Falconeer, was the photographer Harvey Drouillard?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 04, 2010, 02:05:25 PM

Why are Americans so afraid of nudity?  It cracks me up. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #131 on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:27 PM

Somebody explained it on the comments on the link I gave above.

I had been wondering about the cause of teenage pregnancies. I's all because of photographer, Harvey. Shame on him.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 04, 2010, 02:15:08 PM

No he was not, but this is funny. Cause Harvey Drouillard and that action the article is talking about is part of why everyone was so cool right after the accident: "I mean, fucking Harvey Drouillard did it on Liberty Street! You are all gonna get away with nothing, don't worreee..."  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:17:03 PM by Falconeer »

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 04, 2010, 02:34:19 PM

Trial by jury for having your fucking tits out. Only in Amerikkka!

And Michigan's not even in the godforsaken bible belt!

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:40 PM

I don't think it makes any difference, but it wasn't just tits since the girls were completely naked. Still, boy scouts were 150 feet away, across a river, and we were partially hidden by trees. So what they saw from that distance is... little skin coloured silhouettes?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:09:45 PM by Falconeer »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 04, 2010, 03:17:14 PM

Those boy scouts are probably already pregnant! ACK!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 04, 2010, 03:25:15 PM

Eh, the whole 'right to a trial by a jury of your peers' thing is sorta a big deal for us. She requested it -- she can always waive it, and take a judge's decision, or make a deal with the prosecutor. But it's her right to take it, if she wants it.

And like someone noted upthread -- a lot of the times they'll just drop it rather than go through the hassle.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:51 PM

Eh, the whole 'right to a trial by a jury of your peers' thing is sorta a big deal for us.
Doesn't exist.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #138 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:49 PM

If this warrant shows up on your record, I can promise that you will be denied at a port of entry on your next trip, or your visa application will be flat-out denied.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 04, 2010, 07:26:47 PM

There's probably a lurker here that is getting ready at your door to haul your ass to gitmo...

Cause, getting nude in public is pretty close to terrorism for most us Americans.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Bench warrants, and how an Italian citizen got in trouble in the USA.  
Jump to: