Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340859 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4620 on: June 12, 2019, 07:15:34 AM

Fine, it was ATB or Turn Based.  I tried both ways.  Both imply a certain sense of "okay, it's this persons turn now, I have to enter a command", the main difference being how much urgency I had to have.  It is a far cry from what you see in, for example, FF15.  No matter how you spin it, the series has been going away from some sort of Turn Based combat and heading towards button mashing action.  A mistake, in my opinion.  I am the exact target demographic for a FFVII remake, and now I am wondering if I will even bother.
This, 100%. I'd buy the fucking collectors edition if the combat was the same.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4621 on: June 12, 2019, 09:35:16 AM

Same for me. I managed to enjoy FF 15 because I adored the visuals, flavour, setting, driving. But the combat is what prevented me from liking it so much more. That's not what I am looking for in a Final Fantasy main numbered title for fuck's sake.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4622 on: June 12, 2019, 10:58:38 AM

Remember Lost Ark? We are still not getting it, but in Korea they are releasing a huge weird dance-y update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIbB68jZfw

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4623 on: June 12, 2019, 01:34:59 PM

I so want that game.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #4624 on: June 12, 2019, 02:11:21 PM

sigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4625 on: June 13, 2019, 11:16:07 AM

Gloomhaven Digital is looking rather nice, which just fucking annoys me.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4626 on: June 13, 2019, 11:44:07 AM

On that note (tabletop ports), also interesting is the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds on Steam. Warhammer skirmish with deckbuilding.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022310/Warhammer_Underworlds_Online/

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4627 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:39 PM

Is Dark Souls 3 remastered worth it at the bargain basement sale price, or was it just shite ?

schild
Administrator

Reply #4628 on: June 13, 2019, 12:23:28 PM

here's my experience with dark souls 3

someone bought it for me because I didn't want to buy it and he was mega-hyped

i told him not to, I was already skilled at *Souls style games and didn't need more of them unless it was a Demon's Souls remake

he didn't believe me, so he bought it and told me to play in front of him

I breezed through the first area and he left the room

i uninstalled the game
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4629 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:49 PM

lol.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4630 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:35 PM

There is no remastered version of Dark Souls III. If you mean Dark Souls III rather than Dark Souls Remastered then it's a good game. It's more "twitchy" than Dark Souls as it inherited some of the faster gameplay style from Bloodborne (faster attack animations, better roll/dodge, less blocking). It also looks very nice. I think the general consensus is the series is ranked from best to worst: I, III, II. They are all good games, though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4631 on: June 13, 2019, 12:43:25 PM

No, sorry, I mean the Dark Souls Remastered with the 3 Engine.

I get confused since I stopped drinking.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4632 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:38 PM

I was under the impression you cannot legally be considered a Scot if you stop drinking.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4633 on: June 13, 2019, 12:59:55 PM

So any version of Dark Souls is/was a very good game *if* you like that style of combat and gameplay. On the PC many would say the original Prepare To Die Edition with DSfix is graphically better than Remastered because Remastered fucked up the lighting. Remastered does have some quality-of-life and gameplay improvements that the original doesn’t have unless you install mods (on the PC). The reason Remastered gets mixed reviews on Steam is because people are comparing it to PTDE with DSfix and the fact that they removed PTDE from sale when Remastered was released not because Dark Souls is a bad game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4634 on: June 13, 2019, 04:30:39 PM

Gameplay video of the Paranoia game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNCdoZIUXG8

I don't even know what I was looking for here, but I am unimpressed.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4635 on: June 13, 2019, 07:00:41 PM

Might be a good idea, IGN, when showing a gameplay vid that involves selecting things from dialog trees to at least let the trees sit on the screen long enough to fucking read them.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4636 on: June 13, 2019, 07:14:36 PM

Fine, it was ATB or Turn Based.  I tried both ways.  Both imply a certain sense of "okay, it's this persons turn now, I have to enter a command", the main difference being how much urgency I had to have.  It is a far cry from what you see in, for example, FF15.  No matter how you spin it, the series has been going away from some sort of Turn Based combat and heading towards button mashing action.  A mistake, in my opinion.  I am the exact target demographic for a FFVII remake, and now I am wondering if I will even bother.

Edit: better description of new combat system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iinhNS28ZXg&t=94s

Still ATB-based:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSiFuQ67xlM&t=66s
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:25:45 PM by Trippy »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4637 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:09 PM

Fine, it was ATB or Turn Based.  I tried both ways.  Both imply a certain sense of "okay, it's this persons turn now, I have to enter a command", the main difference being how much urgency I had to have.  It is a far cry from what you see in, for example, FF15.  No matter how you spin it, the series has been going away from some sort of Turn Based combat and heading towards button mashing action.  A mistake, in my opinion.  I am the exact target demographic for a FFVII remake, and now I am wondering if I will even bother.

Still ATB-based:

Looks complete shit. The 2nd video, the guys just sound like idiots. "It's bringing turned based into this generation" "It's not like Kingdom Hearts" No, fuck you, it's exactly like that. A halfass Devil May Cry button mashy combat and stupid cover mechanics, that also happens to be pausable to execute spells and some abilities. Fuck this.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4638 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57:39 PM

I don't think I had ever seen these original Diablo pitch docs before: https://imgur.com/gallery/5nHpA4r

Also, Brevik has a new game out on Steam but I haven't tried it yet. Looks like Terarria Diablo or something. https://store.steampowered.com/app/697550/It_Lurks_Below/
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4639 on: June 13, 2019, 10:15:48 PM

Still ATB-based:

Looks complete shit. The 2nd video, the guys just sound like idiots. "It's bringing turned based into this generation" "It's not like Kingdom Hearts" No, fuck you, it's exactly like that. A halfass Devil May Cry button mashy combat and stupid cover mechanics, that also happens to be pausable to execute spells and some abilities. Fuck this.

See the videos (mostly the first), I guess I am somewhere in the middle.  It doesn't look like ATB as I would define it, but it also doesn't look like the utter shit of FF15.  I can deal with a bit of tactical button mashing as long as it makes sense, flows well, and still gives a payoff in terms of big breaks, spells and/or summons thrown in.  Some optimism returned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4640 on: June 16, 2019, 09:34:05 AM

The FFVII Remake combat looks fine. It feels like a modernized version of Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story combat, minus the part-targeting.

I swear some things make you guys look like RPGCodex at times.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4641 on: June 16, 2019, 10:13:10 AM

I swear some things make you guys look like RPGCodex at times.

What a terrible comparison. RPG Codex is a nightmare.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4642 on: June 19, 2019, 03:33:29 PM

Uplay just launched (as far as I know) they Uplay+ subscription service. The first month is free though. 0 money to play lots of stuff for free. Worth it.

"Starting September 3". WTF? Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:43:36 PM by Falconeer »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4643 on: June 21, 2019, 08:19:50 AM

There any good videos of the combat changes? Just curious.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4644 on: June 22, 2019, 02:29:52 AM

There's a new dungeon crawler in the style of Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Legend of Grimrock and the likes. It's only available on Microsoft (for $1) and Epic but if you are into these games this is impossible to miss and worth installing the crap launchers.

It has all the things you would expect from this games, on top of the very good graphics (Unreal engine 4) with the extra bonus of being able to look around freely with the mouse while still moving around on a grid. It feels really good. The whole game is heavily narrated and while the voice work is obviously very cheesy I think it fits the 80s style perfectly and also reminds me of tabletop RPGing with friends.

I haven't advanced much but my first impressions are that this game is absolutely great.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTp_C2By3ww

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5GZo4vwlD0

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4645 on: June 22, 2019, 04:13:35 AM

Seems full price over here, otherwise I would have given it a go.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4646 on: June 22, 2019, 04:45:50 AM

There's a new dungeon crawler in the style of Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Legend of Grimrock and the likes. It's only available on Microsoft (for $1) and Epic but if you are into these games this is impossible to miss and worth installing the crap launchers.

It has all the things you would expect from this games, on top of the very good graphics (Unreal engine 4) with the extra bonus of being able to look around freely with the mouse while still moving around on a grid. It feels really good. The whole game is heavily narrated and while the voice work is obviously very cheesy I think it fits the 80s style perfectly and also reminds me of tabletop RPGing with friends.

I haven't advanced much but my first impressions are that this game is absolutely great.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTp_C2By3ww

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5GZo4vwlD0
Yep, I played that one when it was originally released (if only because the devs are Hungarian and I wanted to see if my country is capable of making a decent RPG lol).

Mini-review: it is a modernized puzzle-heavy Lands of Lore with great audiovisuals, Starcrawlers-like turn-based combat that's more attrition / resource management-based than one'd expect, some minor gameplay innovations, and a very folk tale-like feeling.

Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, though you may need to occasionally look for spoilers concerning the more obscure secrets and puzzles... the combat system is also relatively easy to break, especially if you play a mage and manage to surprise the enemies (unless they patched or balanced abilities since release).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4647 on: June 22, 2019, 06:24:20 AM

Seems full price over here, otherwise I would have given it a go.

The game is full price. The Microsoft pass thingie should be 1£/$/€ eveywhere for the first month.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4648 on: June 22, 2019, 09:20:00 AM

Operencia looks cool, but not cool enough to stop boycotting Epic. I'd rather have it on my Switch anyway.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4649 on: June 22, 2019, 10:53:49 AM

If you get it on Microsoft Pass you are as far as I know bypassing Epic though.

In other news Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - First Impact is coming to the West!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jHR4pRxyA

It's a Japanese story-driven earthquake simulator, with plot and characters. In fact, 60 characters are reported to be in the game for this fourth entry.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4650 on: June 22, 2019, 08:21:27 PM

I'm still on Win7 on my desktop.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4651 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:01 PM

Disaster Report on the switch will be great.

The Switch literally exists for me to play straight Japanese jank.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4652 on: June 24, 2019, 12:59:04 PM

Children of Morta will be released in September but it just had a Demo weekend. I think it's really nice. It's a pixelated Diablo like game except you don't really drop equip. That's a huge minus, but on the plus side there is the "Family" gimmick. Basically, you are a family of folks, including father, mother, uncles, grandma and children, and those are you classes. The plot is such that your family has been protecting the land for generation so you are all in this together. Each class relative is like a Diablo class, with skills, talents and builds, and that is a nice aspect if you care for the theme of your games. Also, it can be played coop and that's another pretty cool thing.

Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhx73nYEY8

schild
Administrator

Reply #4653 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:22 PM

if equipment doesn't drop it's not diablo and its bad

edit: legit, I don't know why anyone would make an isometric action RPG and not have endless loot, why even waste the development time (yes I'm aware of there being a few high profile games that have done this, and i hate them)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4654 on: June 24, 2019, 03:00:50 PM

Even bad loot is better than no loot; I'm not going to even consider an ARPG without any items.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: