Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1350823 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4655 on: June 25, 2019, 07:10:53 AM

Samurai Shodown releases today on PS4. It's a reboot, 26 years after the original and 10 years since the last entry in the series, and this is actually awesome. I know pretty much no one on f13 cares about fighting games, but this is a big deal, and it's great, and I love to talk about it. Should anyone feel like slicing each other up, feel free to add me on PSN: Falconeer97

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zLzgGd0Yc

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:12:33 AM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #4656 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:30 AM

this is dope and exciting but turning on my ps4 sounds like effort
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4657 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:38 AM

Yeah, I agree. I had to get it now, but this is coming to Steam and PC in November.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4658 on: June 25, 2019, 11:09:01 AM

Capcom is working and kind of stealth releasing a card game using all their IPs. Project Battle is the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWagj3ufwZg

schild
Administrator

Reply #4659 on: June 25, 2019, 11:41:47 AM

this looks unique, which is dope

but in its uniqueness, it looks stupid
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4660 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:22 AM

Is dope a new word for you?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4661 on: June 27, 2019, 06:35:28 AM

No, it's just a quick one to type.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #4662 on: June 28, 2019, 06:57:12 AM

Word
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4663 on: June 28, 2019, 12:21:09 PM

rad
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4664 on: June 29, 2019, 06:57:45 PM

Last year a really cool lesser known sci-fi movie called Prospect ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F96wbQ698Z0 - WATCH IT) with Pedro Pascal was released. I thought I was the only one who watched but that clearly wasn't the case as a weird game called The Cycle is now in beta and it's clearly the competitive videogame version of it.

Here's the game:

- 20 people land on a planet. Either in squads of 4, or alone.
- The planet is about to be destroyed by some anomaly, in exactly 20 minutes.
- The players have been hired by some corporation and they have 20 minutes to complete some quests for the corp. Quests range from mining minerals to killing some mobs to downloading some abandoned facility data.
- The point of the game is: complete as many of the assigned contracts you can in the 20 minutes. Make money. Get out of the planet alive to collect your completed contracts's paychecks.

The problem? Other prospectors, meaning other players. But this is the beauty of the game because you might want to kill them (and vice versa) but you do NOT have to kill them, this is not a survival game or a battle royale. You do NOT have to, in fact you can just hit T whenever you see another player and offer an instant hard-coded alliance. But you can more easily complete your contracts if you get rid of competitors, and you can make sure you won't be backstabbed when the evac ship comes at the end of the 20 minutes to get everyone out of the planet before the explosion.

So in short, this game captures wonderfully the theme of the movie (depressed mood aside, unfortunately) where the prospectors are risking their lives on a dying planet to squeeze every last credit out of it, and of course they work together but don't really trust each other. And generally renders very well the idea that the players are not killers, just hardened space prospectors who would do anything to protect their contracts but where the main goal is to leave alive and with the money.

I have not heard of this at all before today, I downloaded the beta thinking it was crap (the trailer is crap) but after playing a while I am quite impressed. It's a really original, unique, and potentially addictive take on competitive multiplayer arenas because for the first time you can potentially win without shooting and just by completing quests. They call it "a competitive match-based first person quester" and it makes sense.

EDIT: I just noticed that this is being made by Yager, those behind Spec Ops: The Line.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:59:28 AM by Falconeer »

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4665 on: June 30, 2019, 04:23:06 PM

I think I'd rather drink poison than play this horrible sounding game. awesome, for real  I mean sheesh. There was nothing forcing you to kill other players in UO either but it was still a sucky gankfest for its first few years.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4666 on: June 30, 2019, 05:18:21 PM

It's not Baldur's Gate, it's a multiplayer FPS for god's sake, and "ganking" is why the genre was invented. The twist here is that attacking other players is *sometimes* not the most viable strategy. At the end of the match there is one winner and if you die you are out, but leaving the planet alive even if not in 1st place still gives rewards so there's a point in trying to get on the evac ship alive instead of just shooting at everything as if it was a battle royale.
Regardless, it's 20 minutes slices of "emergent" shit. If it's not your genre then it's not your genre, but this looks good.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4667 on: June 30, 2019, 06:20:09 PM

Look at this guy, thinking it's not going to become a complete murderfest.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4668 on: June 30, 2019, 08:01:25 PM

Bunch of hawks waiting for the newbs to log in and get owned. I know that routine.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4669 on: July 01, 2019, 01:55:44 AM

I want a T-Shirt with "Trinsic West Gate since 1997" printed on it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4670 on: July 01, 2019, 05:39:46 AM

Since you are caught up on the carebear shit, I'll let you have it. Here's a new description of the game:

"Hey, a new Battle Royale (It is not a Battle Royale game) FPS game is coming out from the people who made Spec Ops The Line. In this obvious murderfest though you have 20 minutes to complete as many contracts as you can through randomly assigned quests, which is new for the genre, and leave the planet alive to count the money. It's pretty cool if you enjoy games where gamers can shoot at each other, but there's more than that going on".

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4671 on: July 01, 2019, 06:45:15 AM

Are we really using carebear in 2019?

That said, I get what you're saying, Falc. It's a competitive pvp game that's trying not to force you into violent resolution every time. I like the idea and wish there was more of that in general in our murderous psychopathic hobby.

But nothing will ever stop people from being shitbags online. NOTHING. Because people are, in general, shitbags.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4672 on: July 01, 2019, 07:48:32 AM

It's always weird how sensitive reds are to being called murderers.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4673 on: July 01, 2019, 09:12:21 AM

Haha. After 15 years on f13 you still don't know that I love Felucca and PvP with reds but I've never been a red player in any game ever? I guess that doesn't fit your two-bit narrative.

Anyway, this is not a MMORPG, I probably misrepresented it in my first post and a misunderstanding spawned the above nonsense. This is a competitive fucking shooter arena made of twenty minutes matches. The bonus here is that it is centered around quests and surviving instead of *just* shooting and placing first.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4674 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:09 AM

i like the idea of this unfortunately

"Sign up to play on Epic Games Store."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4675 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:40 AM

Ironically, I'm currently jonesing for something new to distract me this month until the new Madden fix comes along...and the Steam recommendation AI method is failing me entirely. You've got my games list that can easily be weighted by playtime...

First five games were all multiplayer-centric.

Closed window, looks like the Browns will go on to an 11th Superbowl this summer.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4676 on: July 01, 2019, 05:44:17 PM

Haha. After 15 years on f13 you still don't know that I love Felucca and PvP with reds but I've never been a red player in any game ever? I guess that doesn't fit your two-bit narrative.

Anyway, this is not a MMORPG, I probably misrepresented it in my first post and a misunderstanding spawned the above nonsense. This is a competitive fucking shooter arena made of twenty minutes matches. The bonus here is that it is centered around quests and surviving instead of *just* shooting and placing first.

Is there some kind of persistence between matches? In a regular FPS, you win to say that you won. In this, it sounds like you do "better" if you complete some of your quests and live but don't "win", and I'm not sure what the appeal of coming in 2nd place is if there isn't some sort of carrot that carries over beyond twenty minute matches.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4677 on: July 01, 2019, 07:16:56 PM

Yes there is. There are three factions. Before every match you pick your employer. Based on your performance, you get more or less XP to climb the faction ranks which provide different blueprints for better weapons, gadgets, cosmetics.
Also persistent are the crafting materials. In order to craft the stuff out of the blueprints you need materials which you harvest during the match either as loot from the mobs or by gathering it.

The carrot is not huge but it's there. In many ways the game is more like a race than a Last Man Standing. A race at questing better, faster and smarter than your opponents. It's not like you stop racing when you realize you won't be first. This is why they call it a "competitive quester".
There are three ways a match can end for you, as opposed to the usual two of most fps arena games:

1) Best reward: you made it out alive and in 1st place. And this doesn't even mean you killed anybody. You can theoretically win the match without ever shooting a player. Which is not rare if you rack up lots of money early and are the first one to run to the landing pad. You get the
2) Worst reward: you died.
3) Decent rewards, based on your placement: you made it out alive in any other place other than 1st.

Anyway, dying sucks. When the 20 minutes are about to expire and the whole planet is about to blow, the weather goes crazy and thunder and lightning suddenly hammering the ground and the dropship pilot keeps barking at you to get on the landing pad or you'll be left behind, the sense of urgency takes you regardless of the ranking. Game-wise, you don't want to die. Carrot-wise, systems are in place. Enough? We'll see.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4678 on: July 01, 2019, 07:52:23 PM

Sounds pretty interesting. Don't think I like FPS enough in general to get it from Epic, but hopefully someone else knocks it off.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4679 on: July 05, 2019, 05:43:50 AM

Capcom is working and kind of stealth releasing a card game using all their IPs. Project Battle is the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWagj3ufwZg
This is out now for iOS and Android. It’s called TEPPEN.

https://teppenthegame.com/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4680 on: July 05, 2019, 08:47:26 AM

PC or  Mob

Anyway, trying Android.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4681 on: July 05, 2019, 08:49:09 AM

i would like them to make one with more mass market appeal

they can call it TEPPENYAKI
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4682 on: July 05, 2019, 09:14:44 AM

Or maybe a born to be wild version called TEPPENWOLF
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4683 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:39 AM

This is Clash Royale more than it is a card game. And so far I think it's mostly garbage, but I'll try to explore it a bit more just for the sake of Chun Li.f

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4684 on: July 09, 2019, 09:00:21 AM

Gloomhaven gameplay video just came out. I think I want this more than I want the table top version. Sure, the box and the pieces look great, but it always felt a bit like they wanted me to play from a box something that was videogame native.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFw_CBYWN4A

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4685 on: July 09, 2019, 09:39:08 AM

It says victory only goes to the most daring players with the sharpest minds, so I guess I'm out.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4686 on: July 09, 2019, 06:34:48 PM

I have the Gloomhaven box and I slowly slog through it solo. I'm thinking I might just shelve it permanently and wait for this to be fully fleshed out. I like the cell shaded art and really, the rules pretty much already feel like a video game, right down to cards that act as functions.

They won't likely do it, but the only 'upgrade' they should add is a better overworld system than the box game has.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4687 on: July 12, 2019, 06:22:55 AM

Pffffftt the game comes out next Wednesday for 25 money but it's Early Access so... no coop and won't be in until 2020. What's the point?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4688 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:57 AM

Harvesting the low hanging fruit?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4689 on: July 12, 2019, 12:08:49 PM

Kind of a cool nostalgia trip, 7 Days alpha 1 revisit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiBf8aqwmSI&list=PLYL9eL_H8WdFtMFahVBTGLL4LmU9gUYsp&index=4

I came into it at alpha 10 in 2015  why so serious? I'll actually be a little sad when it's "done" because each alpha release has been great to play through.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: