Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1338624 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3745 on: August 07, 2017, 07:43:38 PM

So of course the Shadows of Mordor sequel is going to not only have cash microtransactions, but basically microtransactions you have to buy if you don't want to play through a fuckton of padding and bloat that no one will enjoy.

This industry is really broken.

"Hi, the movie you're going to see today has some terrible long scenes that no one in the test audiences liked, but if you want to pay $10 more you can see the one that's tightly edited and fun!" Though when I think on it, that is a bit like Jackson's Hobbit movies....
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3746 on: August 07, 2017, 09:57:44 PM

It put the game from guaranteed first day purchase to wait and see how this all shakes out for me. I had the same realization about Fortnite after playing for a week. Such a good game that is covered in shameless attempts to milk the player.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3747 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:32 PM

Shame, that was a day one purchase. Loot boxes are fine in multiplayer primary games. This, not so much. I'm sure it'll do wonders for the immersion and atmosphere of the game as well.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3748 on: August 08, 2017, 04:49:08 AM

"Look, these people have read the Silmarillion, for god's sake, they're fine with long, dull, somewhat repetitive content..."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3749 on: August 08, 2017, 11:06:42 AM

Hey, need an advice: I took (admittedly) a superficial look at Titanfall 2, The Division, Warframe and Destiny 2. Now, I'll keep reading, but can someone please explain what are the main differences and if any of them is worth it? Thanks :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3750 on: August 08, 2017, 01:39:06 PM

Warframe is free, start there. It's also the most different, as it's faster gameplay, parkour guns and swords.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3751 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:06 PM

Shame, that was a day one purchase. Loot boxes are fine in multiplayer primary games.

I hate them in pretty much every game, but in free to play games at least they're a necessary evil.  Coming out of a box I already paid for, they can fuck right off (looking at you, Overwatch).  I'd rather pay an extra $10 upfront if it meant not having to deal with this carrot-on-a-stick crap constantly, but of course THAT'S not an option because then you can't wring thousands out of the 1% of your player base that is willing to pay.

But yeah, this moved the game from "day 1 buy" to "oh, right, Warner Brothers, I forgot... I'll get it in 6 months when it's $10 with all the DLC packed in and the inevitable launch fiasco has been patched"
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #3752 on: August 11, 2017, 02:34:47 AM

Superbunnyhop touches on a rarely discussed topic, How game companies benefit from tax evasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKnv1YzI3k

He brings up some interesting facts such as one of the chief architects for Netherlands existing rules, Alexander Hent has been working for Activision Blizzard for awhile. He also brings up some interesting implications that many game companies aren't making fewer games simply because of the huge risk in making new IP but in addition they are gaining so much more revenue and mildly steadily decreasing costs by relying more on microtransactions.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3753 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:51 PM

Shame, that was a day one purchase. Loot boxes are fine in multiplayer primary games. This, not so much. I'm sure it'll do wonders for the immersion and atmosphere of the game as well.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Jim Sterling has a good take on this calling it Shadow of More Dollars awesome, for real.  Best and most accurate line about micro transactions "Invent a problem, sell a solution".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXWdyrqFP8
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3754 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:59 AM

Didn't think it needed it's own thread, but for those that care...

Secret of Mana remake (for the PS4, Vita, and Steam/PC) gameplay footage looks pretty tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKbqzL1YN6Y

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #3755 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:17 AM

I have a huge amount of Secret of Mana nostalgia, I'd love to go through it again.  It's probably one of the games I played the most on my SNES.  That said, $40 is pretty high for a graphical remaster.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3756 on: September 05, 2017, 12:00:00 PM

I'd pay MORE for the original style than I would for a graphical remaster.  I don't know why Square insists on fucking with these old titles... the new graphics for FF5 and 6 are worse than the originals, and FF3 and 4 are done in this weird "originally developed for the 3DS" polygon style which doesn't look HORRIBLE but definitely doesn't look cutting edge on the PC.

I guess they are hoping to bank on something other than nostalgia, but at least give us the OPTION to look at the old, "outdated" graphics if we want, like the Lucasarts adventure game remakes.  Or, if you're going to say "fuck nostalgia" at least make the graphics look good on their own, not done in this weird half modern, half nostalgia, weak compromise style that pleases nobody.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3757 on: September 05, 2017, 03:46:59 PM

$40 is a bit much, but I'm hopeful that being a remake means they'll retouch the godawful controls and combat.

I don't mind the graphics.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #3758 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:18 AM

I mostly agree on the graphics, FF3 and 4 remakes were totally unplayable for me.  The 2.5D thing is just really off putting, it doesn't even feel like the same game.  I just go back and played the PS1 versions instead.  Those versions are still great and have little added features that make them slightly better than playing the originals.  The FF6 remake I did get used to and it was fine.  It was a little odd at first but it kind of works and everything outside of the character art is mostly the same.  I went though FF5 one time and don't ever plan on doing it again so I skipped that remake.

I haven't seen enough of the new Mana to judge yet but the little I saw it at least looked ok.  If they want to redo all of the art I'm fine with it as long as the style is similar and feels like it honors the original (not like FF3/4).  A toggle for the new/old style sprites seems like the ideal version though.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3759 on: September 06, 2017, 06:51:06 AM

Agreed on that awful 3DS graphical style; I don't like it on 3DS and it has no place on PC.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3760 on: September 06, 2017, 05:16:51 PM

Ok, who wants a PAX exclusive LOL Sivir (whatever that is) skin code? Someone that actually plays and will use it please.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3761 on: September 06, 2017, 05:33:14 PM

If you send it to me I'll give it to my friend that is still hardcore. Won't use it myself though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3762 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:49 AM

I still play though I don't necessarily play Sivir much.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3763 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:40 PM

Walking Dead season 1 free at Humble Store for the next 34 hours or so.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3764 on: September 10, 2017, 06:58:53 PM

PewDiePie is a casual racist. Which is probably the best fucking news I've heard in gaming in five years.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3765 on: September 10, 2017, 09:36:02 PM

I don't know -- it sounds like his Nazi stuff was decidedly non-casual.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3766 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:11 PM

PewDiePie is a casual racist. Which is probably the best fucking news I've heard in gaming in five years.

I'm not really seeing cause for celebration here.  Last I saw, he was the most popular channel on all of Youtube, they're not going to kick him off or fuck with his revenue stream in any way since they'd lose money on it too.  His fans are probably mostly going to paint him as a brave rebel standing up to those accursed SJWs, just like what happened with JonTron.  It's not like this is the first time PewDiePie has said some dumb shit.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3767 on: September 11, 2017, 05:32:14 PM

Not sure if you're aware, but YouTube ad revenue is in the toilet nowadays due to YT kowtowing to advertisers and de-monetizing anything that YT doesn't consider advertiser-friendly enough.

He's still worth millions, but his revenue stream's probably taken as big of a hit as everyone else has.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3768 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:44 PM

So, random question -- I'm feeling a bit of the football bug, so if I wanted to pick up a football (the American type) game, what's out there (PS4 wise) worth playing? I'll even take Madden, although unless the "current" iteration has some amazing new feature, frankly I'd buy last years or the year befores version.

I really don't have to have the current lineup, nor really want it.

Honestly, I'd prefer one where I set lineups, plays, etc and left the actual "catching and running and throwing" bits to the PS4 because I suck at it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3769 on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:11 PM

There isn't really an NFL game that does the manager/coaching part and leaves off the actual playing. I bought Madden 2017 (last year's version) used when I bought my PS4 recently and it's good. It's still Madden, which means it's a bit arcade-y (though not as much as the last version I played 3-5 years ago), it puts way too much emphasis on presentation but at least it lets you skip through a lot of the talking head pre-game, halftime and post-game that it tries to shove down your throat. The Ultimate Team game is basically football where you draft a team by buying micro-transaction booster packs like Magic The Gathering (though you don't have to pay real money, that's the only way to get the best players without playing a shitton with shitty players) and it's definitely OCD gamer collector itch scratcher.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3770 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:37 AM

I believe the 2k franchise mode could do that. Run the team, set up playbooks, sim the games themselves.

Fucking EA.

And I'm finally coming around to buying a console for Madden, after all these years. The least they could do would be releasing a current-engine/roster PC version ffs. I'd even buy it on Origin. I wonder about the supposed cross-platforminess of XBoneX but I have a feeling that's going to be 1st party titles only.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3771 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:57 AM

I still can't figure out why EA won't release a PC version of Madden. They do it for FIFA and in some cases, the PC version of FIFA isn't a port, it's almost a different game entirely. FFS, they make Madden on the goddamn phones and tablets now.

The 2K football games were just the fucking tits. 2k3 is still one of the greatest football games I've ever played, with that first-person mode. That one game mode was the most incredible experience (though the 2k4 version wasn't quite as good) in a sports game I've ever had. I would shank a bitch to see that on my PS4.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3772 on: September 12, 2017, 08:09:01 AM

Not sure if you're aware, but YouTube ad revenue is in the toilet nowadays due to YT kowtowing to advertisers and de-monetizing anything that YT doesn't consider advertiser-friendly enough.

I wasn't aware.  Is this bad news for my planned-but-unexecuted GoPro Cooking Show?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3773 on: September 12, 2017, 09:18:40 AM

2k3 is still one of the greatest football games I've ever played, with that first-person mode. That one game mode was the most incredible experience (though the 2k4 version wasn't quite as good) in a sports game I've ever had. I would shank a bitch to see that on my PS4.
I think if they can sort out movement some day, VR football would be pretty amazing.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3774 on: September 12, 2017, 11:30:04 AM

2k3 is still one of the greatest football games I've ever played, with that first-person mode. That one game mode was the most incredible experience (though the 2k4 version wasn't quite as good) in a sports game I've ever had. I would shank a bitch to see that on my PS4.
I think if they can sort out movement some day, VR football would be pretty amazing.

It's there for more stationary roles (Quarterback).

Also - there's a real fun game where you do headers in soccer.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3775 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:22 AM

I would play the shit out of a pure (american) football management sim; do you  think that the potential gaming audience would be THAT lower (numerically) and less profitable compared to FM or Out of the Park (baseball) ? Infact, it's strange that no software house tried to build one, yet.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3776 on: September 12, 2017, 12:12:10 PM

There actually IS a football management sim on the PC. Front Office Football Seven is one of them (I think the Front Page Sports Football has one as well). They just aren't affiliated with the NFL because of EA's monopoly shit and I can't tell you if they are any good or not. I haven't been brave enough to try them. They look more like OOTP than FM - spreadsheet game without the personality of FM.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3777 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:56 PM

There actually IS a football management sim on the PC. Front Office Football Seven is one of them (I think the Front Page Sports Football has one as well). They just aren't affiliated with the NFL because of EA's monopoly shit and I can't tell you if they are any good or not. I haven't been brave enough to try them. They look more like OOTP than FM - spreadsheet game without the personality of FM.

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned that because I actually know of its existence: I think the seventh chapter is more of a roster update of the earlier games (first one came out in 1998, I think). Anyway, last November a new one came out (Office Eight):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/547900/Front_Office_Football_Eight/

From what I read, tho, it's more..."abstract" (in terms of micromanagement and realism) than OOTP or FM and the text only match commentary doesn't help (the text commentary of the earlier CM games was another thing). So yeah, I'll wait for a bit more "flashy" sim, or at least with a 2D engine.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3778 on: September 13, 2017, 04:47:56 PM

I would play the shit out of a pure (american) football management sim; do you  think that the potential gaming audience would be THAT lower (numerically) and less profitable compared to FM or Out of the Park (baseball) ? Infact, it's strange that no software house tried to build one, yet.
It Out of the Park any good?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3779 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:50 PM

It Out of the Park any good?

Aspects of it, yes.  If you're a fan of Bill James, you'll really enjoy OOTP.  It's a great spreadsheet sim of baseball in a digestible package.  The only suggestion I'd give is that you have to have enough self discipline to avoid the parts of the game that are exploitable (ex: trades).  If you can do that, it's a very fun game with a lot of replay value.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: