Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992860 times)
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3500 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:50 AM

Unions had solid statistics on all sorts of positions and only thing I did was mentioning those statistics when we ended up talking about payment. It gave a span and I got the low end of the scale which I expected. Same statistics also states the reasons why to be higher or lower than the scale and that's what I used when renegotiating my contract a year later and got a two part raise that will put me slightly above average.

If you have experience in the field don't start asking for less than market value. It creates questions whether you are as good as you claim to be. Leave yourself open that you might not get as much as you ask for but make sure you know how low you are willing to go.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3501 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:57 AM

I am bad at negotiating, but learned during career counseling that the first one to mention a number loses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3502 on: January 15, 2019, 09:48:25 AM

Met my new 2nd line. He's like a sentient management AI with better hair.

Maybe I'm just turning into the crusty, old tech guy with disdain for management. We have a few of them here. It seems like everyone in my department is borderline scared of any management higher than their first line and afraid to ask any question that may paint them as somewhat unsatisfied in how things are done. Other than IT tool questions. Boy we like to talk about those (rightfully, they suck).

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3503 on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:46 AM

Maybe I'm just turning into the crusty, old tech guy with disdain for management.

I've been that guy since my mid-20s.  That's what happens when you start as a teenager.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3504 on: January 15, 2019, 02:46:06 PM

It's not really old and crusty, in my case at least, so much as old and disillusioned, and realizing the people above you never actually knew what they were doing and don't have the answers.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3505 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:59 PM

I work for a property management company now:  RV, manfuactured housing, and campground.  It's way different than Publix.  Something, something affordable living.

I suppose a five-year check-in is a thing here.  :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3506 on: January 16, 2019, 12:00:04 PM

I got an interview next week with a company that is a mile from my house. I cannot tell you all enough how excited I am for the possibility of a 15 minute walk to work instead of a 60-75 minute bus ride.
If you haven't gone in for it yet, let me just underscore the fact that a great deal of my quality of life comes from living a 3 minute drive from work. Just going home for lunch is amazing. This one simple thing is worth a solid half of my pay disparity with pretty much everyone here (the other half being the pension).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3507 on: January 16, 2019, 02:22:08 PM

There's an interesting thing there that while working close to where you live is great, moving to live close to where you work isn't necessarily.  I used to have the 3 minute commute but didn't really like living in the town my work was in because there was nothing to do in my free time.   My quality of life went up when I moved half an hour away from the office.

However, I would absolutely take a significant pay cut if I could work in a nice office that was walking distance from where I live now.  (On the other hand, one of the things I like about my neighborhood is that there aren't any tech offices, so maybe it's better this way.)

Speaking of quality of life, after my severe annoyance at pre-Christmas deadlines I'm giving more and more serious thought to going back to doing high-tier customer support.  My job satisfaction was way higher when I was solving urgent customer problems directly rather than building products with the sole purpose of creating a marketing moment that will boost the quarterly numbers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3508 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:38 AM

I suppose a five-year check-in is a thing here.  :)

Seems about right.

I still work for many layers of meteorologists. It's nice. The GM isn't technically a meteorologist but he's been with TWC long enough. One of the guys reporting to my manager is also not a meteorologist, but he has been with the company* for 40 years. He wrote or helped write OOS: Our Operating System. Apparently we have some things which run on a OOS emulator somewhere in Andover. Very fun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3509 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:47 PM

Been a whirlwind week- have had 2 phone interviews, with one followup in person interview. Followup is at a managed solutions place less than 5 miles away, so my commute would be glorious. Should hear back from them by next week- 3rd interview would be a lab/test to make sure I actually know how to do some of the things I claim  Ohhhhh, I see.
Other one is in Fremont, which would be  shitty commute but a good neighborhood to work in. Also got a voice mail as I was headed to the interview from the local school district about a year long paid internship which would be based about 2 miles away. If I could somehow stay that close to home and earn a living I would be overjoyed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3510 on: January 24, 2019, 08:30:47 AM

Is Fremont where that piece of the Berlin Wall is? I'll take your word for it being a nice neighborhood.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3511 on: January 24, 2019, 09:21:52 AM

Fremont is where that giant bridge troll lives.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3512 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:50 AM

Seems like I'd have remembered that.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3513 on: January 25, 2019, 07:05:54 AM

Speaking of quality of life, after my severe annoyance at pre-Christmas deadlines I'm giving more and more serious thought to going back to doing high-tier customer support.  My job satisfaction was way higher when I was solving urgent customer problems directly rather than building products with the sole purpose of creating a marketing moment that will boost the quarterly numbers.

Do what you enjoy, however you can.

Is my legal defence shortly.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3514 on: January 25, 2019, 07:09:07 AM

I do enjoy appending ", Your Honor." to people's defenses of their actions.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3515 on: January 25, 2019, 07:14:48 AM

In fairness, last day at this shitpit next Thursday and new start at a totally separate shit pit the Monday after.

So, do what you enjoy, however you can.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3516 on: January 25, 2019, 07:17:19 AM

I'm not criticizing your motto. My own version is "If it feels good, do it."

That line doesn't capture the implied "try to think long-term" part, but I'm not here to parent everyone.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3517 on: January 25, 2019, 08:17:16 AM

my personal motto is "personal mottos are for chumps, don't be a chump"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3518 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:02 AM

Would fit on t-shirt. Nice.

In thread-related news:
We hired a guy. Looks like a great fit. Thanks for playing.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3519 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:16 AM

Tanked my 3rd interview/lab test, got hired anyway. I suspect the lab was a stress test rather than an indication of what I can actually do. The laptop they loaned me was recycled as I walked out the door...it was basically useless.

Salary is dismal, but it is located exactly 4 miles from my front door, has a built in advancement position for me that pays A LOT more money, and will give me some experience to point to that should get me making some decent money in a year or two.

I haven't worked since July 1, 2016. I completed full time classes in June 2018. I spent the past few months completing certifications, tutoring, looking for work, and part time school. Had TONS of time on my hands, especially during the day after the kids left for school. I get hired for a new position, and what do I get in the mail today before I even start?

I mean, really?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3520 on: January 30, 2019, 02:05:30 AM

Amazing.  Though usually you can defer it once or twice, right?

What were you studying full time till 2018?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3521 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:05 AM

King County is really good about deferments, provided you haven't deferred in the past. I deferred the first 2-3 years I lived here because of a heavy work/school schedule and got mandatory summoned for the exact weekend I was heading out of town for my college graduation. That took a letter to a judge explaining the circumstances, but the judge put it off a few weeks until I got back.

Also, Congrats and good luck on the new gig! You'll do great. 

I also got a contract today with a really good chance of going full time in 90 days. They wanted to make sure I was a good fit before hiring me directly. It's the place I mentioned a few weeks ago that is a 15-20min walk from my house, I'm so jazzed about that.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3522 on: January 30, 2019, 07:36:46 AM

Congrats on jury duty WAP!

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3523 on: January 30, 2019, 07:41:25 AM

Congrats WAP and Hawkbit!  I'd love to work so close to home.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3524 on: January 30, 2019, 12:38:00 PM

Amazing.  Though usually you can defer it once or twice, right?

What were you studying full time till 2018?

Networking and Computer Systems. Got a bunch of certs (CCNA, A+ Network+, Security+, etc) and a basic AA, have 1 more math class after this quarter for the NSCOM AA and entrance to the bachelor program.

Hawkbit- glad you landed gig you wanted. I make less money than I did before (at least for now), but I will spend 90 minutes less in my car every day. That is worth a lot. Although it is going to make keeping current on all my podcasts a bitch.

Rasix

Reply #3525 on: February 01, 2019, 01:36:09 PM

I love finding a serious bug (in released code) at 2pm on a Friday. I've never seen so many developers set their status to away at the same time before.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3526 on: February 01, 2019, 01:58:20 PM

I really hope this wasn't code that was released today.
Rasix

Reply #3527 on: February 01, 2019, 03:49:24 PM

I really hope this wasn't code that was released today.

You're safe. This has been in the wild for at least a month.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3528 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:48 PM

Good thing our arrays can't be updated then I guess, thanks for the info Rasix!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #3529 on: February 07, 2019, 11:54:53 AM

Maybe I'm just turning into the crusty, old tech guy with disdain for management. We have a few of them here. It seems like everyone in my department is borderline scared of any management higher than their first line and afraid to ask any question that may paint them as somewhat unsatisfied in how things are done. Other than IT tool questions. Boy we like to talk about those (rightfully, they suck).

OK. 2nd line just confirmed in a skip level meeting that I'm the department asshole. Some of my peers were "mortified" when I answered an asked questions in a department meeting. I am to only voice "complaints" (you asked the damn question, dude) in private 1 on 1 meetings.

His idea for job growth is "we'll find you something challenging. You fuck up, and you're back whatever needs warm bodies." Super. Way to confirm my first reading of you.

This is fine.

-Rasix
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3530 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:12 PM

OK. 2nd line just confirmed in a skip level meeting that I'm the department asshole. Some of my peers were "mortified" when I answered an asked questions in a department meeting. I am to only voice "complaints" (you asked the damn question, dude) in private 1 on 1 meetings.

His idea for job growth is "we'll find you something challenging. You fuck up, and you're back whatever needs warm bodies." Super. Way to confirm my first reading of you.

This is fine.

In all seriousness, managers like this never change.  They don't grow or improve.  This is what I have done and it works well.

1) Never speak in a team meeting again unless the question is directed directly to you.
2) If a question is directed to you, your answer should always be "I'm not sure, do you have any thoughts or opinions on this"

These will put on on survival mode while you work on step 3.
3) Find a new job.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:30:33 PM by slog »

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3531 on: February 07, 2019, 12:36:34 PM

Unemployment numbers are way too low to put up with horseshit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3532 on: February 07, 2019, 02:19:53 PM

1 Week into the new job and I honestly can't tell the difference between this and my old place.

Except the money is better, I guess.

But this isn't going to last.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3533 on: February 07, 2019, 03:03:49 PM

1 Week into the new job and I honestly can't tell the difference between this and my old place.

Except the money is better, I guess.

But this isn't going to last.

Isn't that how life works in general?

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3534 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:54 PM

1) Never speak in a team meeting again unless the question is directed directly to you.
2) If a question is directed to you, your answer should always be "I'm not sure, do you have any thoughts or opinions on this"
My boss has been chastising us for about 18 months now and everyone on the team decided this is the strategy we're following. Staff meetings consist of him talking, asking us questions, and no one saying anything. He visibly gets frustrated and annoyed with it.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: