Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992807 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3290 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:39 AM

And guess where there's usually a ton of ineffective bloat? At middle management, supervisory, or project management level. Because you CAN get better people for more effective money there, where the technical markets are a lot more difficult to hire and keep.
Shhh don't be telling people that!  why so serious?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3291 on: November 08, 2017, 03:42:06 PM

One key to hiring good painters is don't hire the sober ones.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3292 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:47 AM

One key to hiring good painters is don't hire the sober ones.

Obviously. And the ones that can't go out of town unless they get a cash advance because the money is already gone.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3293 on: November 10, 2017, 12:54:07 AM

Rant:
Company has problems retaining their R&D talent. Company has problems getting new R&D talent (90+ positions available). Said company has a kind of major fuckup in IT infrastructure with bad but not too bad effect on bottom line. Company in affect fires people lawnmower style, R&D hit hard. And as with every other stupid fucking fire wave, they realize those people were actually important and due to being understaffed took irreplaceable knowledge with them. So they have to hire new people to said positions which they can't (Glassdoor reviews really matter...). Cherry on the shit cake - people not fired start looking for jobs and leave on their own accord due to shitty HR management.

Edit: We're hiring. Virtually everything remotely tech available. Message if interested  why so serious?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
schild
Administrator

Reply #3294 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:38 PM

Name the company, chuckles.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3295 on: November 11, 2017, 07:53:25 PM

Been doing web dev at a fortune 500 for the last 3 months, holy fuck just shoot me now.  It is like they adopted all the mechanics of agile and yet cling to the spirit of waterfall like it was their mothers tit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3296 on: November 12, 2017, 05:08:47 PM

Still in the Austin area?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3297 on: November 12, 2017, 05:59:29 PM

Been doing web dev at a fortune 500 for the last 3 months, holy fuck just shoot me now.  It is like they adopted all the mechanics of agile and yet cling to the spirit of waterfall like it was their mothers tit.

Yep. It's tough to move beyond 'hey lets do 2 week sprints!' when management doesn't get it and there isn't a strong leader to champion it.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3298 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:53 AM

Rant:
Company has problems retaining their R&D talent. Company has problems getting new R&D talent (90+ positions available). Said company has a kind of major fuckup in IT infrastructure with bad but not too bad effect on bottom line. Company in affect fires people lawnmower style, R&D hit hard. And as with every other stupid fucking fire wave, they realize those people were actually important and due to being understaffed took irreplaceable knowledge with them. So they have to hire new people to said positions which they can't (Glassdoor reviews really matter...). Cherry on the shit cake - people not fired start looking for jobs and leave on their own accord due to shitty HR management.

Edit: We're hiring. Virtually everything remotely tech available. Message if interested  why so serious?

LOL ?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3299 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:53 AM

Headline: Eager old C programmer learns Chef, writes lots of conflicting execute resources.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #3300 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:57 PM

Yep. It's tough to move beyond 'hey lets do 2 week sprints!' when management doesn't get it and there isn't a strong leader to champion it.
My experience at big companies has been that the success of agile is inversely proportional to the square of the number of managers involved.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3301 on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:57 AM

Rant:
LOL ?

Want the real LOL?
My desk neighbor got fired. The next day they asked him if he'd like to apply for one of the 10 or so openings they couldn't fill for 6 months that have the exact same job description as what he was already doing.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3302 on: November 15, 2017, 07:15:44 AM

Seriously?  That's all sorts of messed up.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3303 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59:28 AM

The real LOL would be if they offered it to him at a higher salary to be competitive with market rates.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3304 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:25 AM

The real LOL would be if they offered it to him at a higher salary to be competitive with market rates.

I'm pretty certain they'll pay him more but it's all still pending.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3305 on: November 15, 2017, 03:51:40 PM

Hire me for a remote position

Sounds like it'll take them about a year to realize I'm doing exactly dick
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3306 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:53 AM

Had a similar thought.

Programmer question: how many Atom windows could I have open before I have a Molecule?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3307 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:09 AM

Two or three, if your definition of Molecule is a hardcrash from system resources being used up. I like Atom but it’s a damn hog.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3308 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:49 AM

Unless someone came up with programming languages called 'O' or 'H', you gotta go with carbon structures... hope you like C.

On the plus side, you may end up with some graphene! Or diamond if you really push the envelope.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3309 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:00 PM

Today at work they announced they are doubling parking fees.  But they will reimburse us by day for those times we take “alternative transport” into work.  They did not mention if they are going to increase the quantity and coverage of company assisted transport (shuttles).  So, kind of fucked if you need to be somewhere like pick up your kids (carseats).  Unless you take company prescribed transport, which may or may not be available.  Or just pay more for parking.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3310 on: November 16, 2017, 04:40:56 PM

Aaaand I'm job hunting, not by choice this time.

I came into work and saw our VP in from NYC without notice today, I knew something was up. Ah well, I hate the job search but I intensely disliked what I was doing. Not sure what to do next.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #3311 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:02 PM

I have seen Agile done properly at big Fortune 500 companies exactly zero times in 25 years.

It's like they are wondering why 2 week sprints fall apart when there are 5,691 Senior VP's that need to come in and provide their input after each iteration: why can't they iterate quickly, they ask?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3312 on: November 16, 2017, 05:12:11 PM

Parking fees at the office sound like some company-store level horseshit. Wtf.

Sorry to hear about it, Hawkbit. May the search be fruitful and quick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3313 on: November 16, 2017, 05:44:34 PM

Parking fees at the office sound like some company-store level horseshit. Wtf.

That's pretty standard in downtown SF and I'd assume other dense areas where space is at a premium.  Most companies don't own their own parking lots, but they'll have a block of reserved spots in one of the commercial lots (that you have to pay for, but at least it's reserved for the company so you're guaranteed to be able to get a spot).  In our case we lease a parking garage that has a couple hundred spaces (for more than a thousand employees) and individual employees can pay for a monthly parking pass for a few hundred bucks a month (which doesn't fully cover the cost of leasing the garage but helps keep it from filling up).  Even in the 90s before SF was as crowded or expensive as it is now I remember my mom paying $30 per day to park at her downtown law office.

Of course you'd hope that areas like that have workable public transit...

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3314 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:38 PM

I have seen Agile done properly at big Fortune 500 companies exactly zero times in 25 years.

It's like they are wondering why 2 week sprints fall apart when there are 5,691 Senior VP's that need to come in and provide their input after each iteration: why can't they iterate quickly, they ask?

Yeah I could see that for sure. Getting execs to stop meddling in day-to-day priorities and work can be a hard thing to do. I left a company because of that and it was only 200 employees big.
If you need an Agile consultant to slap some execs around, just let me know!  awesome, for real

- Viin
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3315 on: November 16, 2017, 10:25:04 PM

Or on the other side of things: I work at a 10-person startup with a total of 3 people who can be used for programming work. The current dev goal is to create and deploy some serious large-scale web apps to support the workflow. Only, of the 3 people, one of them is an inexperienced intern who is working on his BSc thesis a lot, one of them is a web dev who is pretty competent - if inexperienced with the technologies we're using - but is constantly harried by marketing / sales / management to make various changes and fixes to the company webpage, and the last one is yours truly, who's only done R&D so far (proof-of-concept prototypes are just one commit away from production-quality code, right guys?!) and is wearing like 4 other hats -- each of them ostensibly just as important as development.

The management's answer to the "um, maybe we need more developers" query is, obviously, "just use scrum and it'll solve everything!" awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:11:54 AM by Zetor »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3316 on: November 17, 2017, 08:40:42 AM

Yes.  "Scrum is free." and "Do better."

Decisions were made today where, due to the new office location, that I'll be going in less frequently and when I do, I'll be out by 2:30.

Atlanta has no mass transit to speak of.  We don't have to pay for parking in the new building, but it's also not full.  In fact I believe there is quite a lot of open space in the building even after IBM took 90k across 4 floors.  Probably because no one wants to drive to this fucking place.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3317 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:04 PM

I need to change industries.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3318 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:17 PM

Don't.  Everything else is being deprecated/automated.  Dev/Ops work will get there, but not before most other things are denigrated  improved.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3319 on: December 01, 2017, 06:22:45 AM

But I hate computers so much.

If only I could get paid doing something else.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3320 on: December 01, 2017, 06:52:49 AM

You could become a painter. How's your drinking these days?  why so serious?
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #3321 on: December 01, 2017, 03:37:46 PM

That certainly explains the large mound of beer cans around our house when it was repainted... wink

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3322 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:21 PM

If anyone is in the Northeast area and has sales experience we are hiring. Includes a fair amount of travel but pays >100k

You would be selling software to Realtors (brokers actually)

Professional Forum Lurker.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3323 on: December 21, 2017, 07:57:52 AM

Its two years and three weeks since my last temporary job position ended. The aftermath was my tinnitus going from bad to becoming extremely volatile, I was extremely noise sensitive for months. For someone that only have had temporary jobs, mostly industrial jobs and my CV has been like a really expensive cheese, gigantic holes in between my jobs. Only to face reality and figuring out that my life needed a change in direction.

Since mid may I started a job education in accounting, in early november I started an internship which was a part of the education. Three weeks ago I got information on a possible job on the company in the same office as I did the internship, two weeks ago I had a job offer for a temporary job at the education that I had just completed, 9 days ago I got a phonecall for a full time job and today I signed the contract for that last job.

Pretty crazy to go from being pretty much dead on the job market for exactly two years and the last 3 weeks everyone suddenly wants me.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3324 on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:59 AM

Nice work! Hopefully that works out for you, transitions like that can be tough but now you are at the rewarding part!

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: