Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992810 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3255 on: October 09, 2017, 08:24:49 AM

That's the best term for it. Gig culture implies you'll actually see a project or two through to completion, but that hasn't been the case. Also, you always drop off in the middle of a project regardless of how long you've been around when you leave.

I've said for years I'm a mercenary and will go where the money is, and that's really how everyone needs to behave. You are human furniture to companies, disposed of when convenient or a better model comes out. So look out for yourself first, because the owners will always be doing the same.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3256 on: October 17, 2017, 08:41:28 AM

So for those of you who've had to do it - how much of a pain is it getting security clearance for a job? 

I had a phone interview yesterday for a project coordinator position that will require security clearance and the hiring manager told me the average length of time to get one is running 7-9 months, which blows my mind. Plus she's had people turn down positions once they realize what's all involved in the questionnaire.  I'm asking because I just got the email asking if I'm available for an in-person interview on Friday. Trying to find out some information ahead of time, just in case I get lucky.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3257 on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:14 AM

The level of clearance is needed determines the time and depth.  I recall folks here saying 7-9 months is pretty low-level. That top secret or higher requires a year plus and starts to get into asking your friends & family questions as well.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3258 on: October 17, 2017, 11:51:48 AM

If your clearance is less than a year to get it's not that difficult or high level. Most of the people I am around with them have the higher levels that are more of a pain in the butt. Getting one really isn't that big of a deal, you fill out the monster stack of papers being as honest as you can and unless you've done something illegal/wrong or have horrendous loads of debt they're pretty simple to get.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3259 on: October 17, 2017, 12:04:14 PM

If your clearance is less than a year to get it's not that difficult or high level. Most of the people I am around with them have the higher levels that are more of a pain in the butt. Getting one really isn't that big of a deal, you fill out the monster stack of papers being as honest as you can and unless you've done something illegal/wrong or have horrendous loads of debt they're pretty simple to get.

Wonder how they feel about bankruptcies?  Because I no longer have horrendous loads of debt anymore.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3260 on: October 17, 2017, 01:55:29 PM

Wonder how they feel about bankruptcies?
Depends on the distance in the past it was filed and how you're doing now. The main thing they are concerned about is if you have skeletons in your closet that someone could blackmail you over or if you're in trouble financially and willing to accept bribes. At least at the lower clearance level...
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3261 on: October 17, 2017, 03:49:34 PM

So for those of you who've had to do it - how much of a pain is it getting security clearance for a job? 

I had a phone interview yesterday for a project coordinator position that will require security clearance and the hiring manager told me the average length of time to get one is running 7-9 months, which blows my mind. Plus she's had people turn down positions once they realize what's all involved in the questionnaire.  I'm asking because I just got the email asking if I'm available for an in-person interview on Friday. Trying to find out some information ahead of time, just in case I get lucky.

If it's secret you will probably get an interim until it is approved.  TS/SCI can take years. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3262 on: October 18, 2017, 09:03:26 AM

I am somehow going to the Associated Builders and Contractors of Georgia chili cookoff.  Will be pretending I know anything about paint and industrial coatings.  See you there!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3263 on: October 18, 2017, 09:03:52 AM

My TS/SCI only took about 4-5 months, but that was 5 years ago (also, I'm a squeaky clean nerd).  Since then, they've cracked down harder and I hear it does take a lot longer, yeah.

But, as basically everybody said, depends on the how high of a clearance you need.  Secret should be a lot quicker.
Wonder how they feel about bankruptcies?  Because I no longer have horrendous loads of debt anymore.
Debt is the main thing they worry about, so you should be fine.  The reason being that you would be a lot more susceptible to bribes if you are way in debt.  Same reason they look into if you have a gambling habit.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3264 on: October 18, 2017, 12:35:57 PM

I am somehow going to the Associated Builders and Contractors of Georgia chili cookoff.  Will be pretending I know anything about paint and industrial coatings.  See you there!

Heh I didn't know that was going on tomorrow. It's my fiance's birthday otherwise I'd stop by and say hi. I at least know the financials of paint and industrial coatings. Not putting them on a wall.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3265 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:57 PM

Thanks for the info - Selby, Cheddar and Teleku.  I knew F13 wouldn't let me down!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kind of worried about the interview on Friday, mostly because it's been 7 years since I've done one.  And if it doesn't pan out, I'll just chalk it up to experience and keep half-assed looking around.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3266 on: October 18, 2017, 01:22:51 PM

Thanks for the info - Selby, Cheddar and Teleku.  I knew F13 wouldn't let me down!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kind of worried about the interview on Friday, mostly because it's been 7 years since I've done one.  And if it doesn't pan out, I'll just chalk it up to experience and keep half-assed looking around.

Short notice, but see if you can set up a practice interview tomorrow for a job you don't care about getting.

Last time I interviewed it was my first time on the job market in almost two decades so I was really stiff during my first interview.  Nailed the second one, though!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3267 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:39 AM

Heh I didn't know that was going on tomorrow. It's my fiance's birthday otherwise I'd stop by and say hi. I at least know the financials of paint and industrial coatings. Not putting them on a wall.

Interestingly, I'm taking the place of my wife's accountant.  He also is ignorant of the product.  Hopefully no one will ask me about accounting.

Since I only know of two painting companies large enough to have a CFO, I was hoping to see you as well and learn how a "real" company operates.  Maybe next time.

I'm going to be moving into 1001 Summit on Nov 6.  It is now called IBM Brookhaven and I suppose the other area offices may consolidate to it.

I also recommend practice interviews.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3268 on: October 19, 2017, 01:25:36 PM

Since I only know of two painting companies large enough to have a CFO, I was hoping to see you as well and learn how a "real" company operates.  Maybe next time.

It's just as slapdash as a smaller company, we just have fuckups that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of thousands of dollars.

I will say the one thing we do well is insurance and bonding. We're self-insured out of a captive in the Caymans, and I set up our 401k to be a captive group with the AGC. Basically we get the bonus of better rates by working together, but we don't see our funds go to anything but coverage we actually use.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3269 on: October 19, 2017, 03:04:23 PM

I love working in test.

Management: "Reproduce this flukey bug that people only seem to hit randomly and the developers have no idea on how you can increase your chances of success."

Me: "OK. It won't work and it'll take 100% of my available resources."

Management: "And get all the rest of the stuff done that we want you to do as well. There's some shit that no one's doing or no one wants to do. Plus they don't know how to do it."

Me: "Did you not just hear what I said? I'm going to be busy with the recreate."

Management: "Well, there's always the weekend."

Me:  Argh! Argh! Argh! Shaking fist

I really dislike crunchtime. I can't imagine how it is to work in game development.

The fuck is this.  I'd punch myself in the face before I made one of my employees do something like this.

Hell, I'd probably start yelling at the other managers if they even tried to push me to do something like this.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3270 on: October 20, 2017, 08:59:59 AM

It's just as slapdash as a smaller company, we just have fuckups that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of thousands of dollars.

I'm sure this is true, actually.  It was a good event, except for the part about being in Alpharetta.  Some good chili, some gross chili, and lots of alcohol.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3271 on: October 23, 2017, 01:10:34 PM

I got offered $200 for 30 minutes worth of phone consultation, which is easily the most I have ever and possibly will ever get paid for half an hour of work.  Said phone call is tomorrow morning.

They didn't tell me the exact reason for the consultation, but I connected some dots and am pretty sure I'm going to make some people have a bad day.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3272 on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

So, just regular consulting then? Ohhhhh, I see.

Actually it would be regular consulting if you parley that 30 minutes into three months.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3273 on: October 30, 2017, 09:24:50 AM

Latest resume mentions "MicroSoft".

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3274 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:21 PM

What the hell is wrong with this world.  I keep getting drawn towards north ATL. 

May just bite the bullet and head to Alpharetta.   this guy looks legit

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3275 on: October 30, 2017, 03:19:58 PM

Gross.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3276 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:26 PM

What the hell is wrong with this world.  I keep getting drawn towards north ATL. 

May just bite the bullet and head to Alpharetta.   this guy looks legit

Come on down. Everybody else is.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3277 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

Role change at the job; they finally realized that the pipeline for projects at my current position is too small. No surprise for multiple reasons, least of which is we're still acting like we make money selling software instead of services.

Wonder what it'll be. I was just informed at my 1pm meeting they were 'looking at it' and I now have a 3pm meeting with the guy who'll be my new boss. Back to billable hours. Joy.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3278 on: November 02, 2017, 11:35:49 AM

I keep getting drawn towards north ATL. 

It's been going around.  I'll be based in the new IBM Brookhaven location next week.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3279 on: November 02, 2017, 07:22:32 PM

Still looking for Java developers who want to work from anywhere in the country ... ... still looking ... looking ... (ok the pay may not be top tier, but no commuting!)

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #3280 on: November 02, 2017, 10:51:37 PM

Still looking for Java developers who want to work from anywhere in the country ... ... still looking ... looking ... (ok the pay may not be top tier, but no commuting!)

Just gonna throw this out there

Pay more
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3281 on: November 02, 2017, 11:51:56 PM

Try eastern Europe or South America. 

Seriously.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3282 on: November 03, 2017, 06:36:04 AM

It is definitely an employee's market.

Today is the last day of being in the Weather Channel building.  Monday will be the first day in the new IBM Brookhaven building.  My commute is still in question.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3283 on: November 03, 2017, 07:24:14 AM

I agree we should just pay more, but for some reason management thinks they can get away with low salaries and then wonders why we can't hire anyone !?!?

- Viin
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3284 on: November 03, 2017, 07:35:02 AM

Punch-out.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3285 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:21 AM

Why are you still developing in Java?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3286 on: November 03, 2017, 07:58:26 AM

A lot of enterprise systems are in Java. Especially ones that were first started in 2002.

- Viin
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3287 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:12 AM

If you're trying to get someone to work on legacy code AND you're paying low wages you're doubly fucking yourself, because all you're going to pick up on the cheap are kids who just got out of a Javascript bootcamp.

Mind you, I've been in the same boat of working for people who didn't understand that coders are not interchangeable and that certain skill sets cost more money.  I got the fuck out of there, though.   awesome, for real

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3288 on: November 03, 2017, 10:02:57 AM

A lot of enterprise systems are in Java. Especially ones that were first started in 2002.
There are a lot *new* enterprise systems written in Java too. *Sigh*
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3289 on: November 06, 2017, 06:43:19 AM

I agree we should just pay more, but for some reason management thinks they can get away with low salaries and then wonders why we can't hire anyone !?!?

Your management needs a lesson in supply and demand.

I've seen the labor market for painters crunch in the last 2 years extremely hard. As a result we're having to pay almost 20% higher wages to get regular painting staff, and then keep them for any extended period of time. And you know what we do? We adjust our pricing structure with the clients. We're not living in a vacuum, and other painters are in the same boat. If one of them is beating us on bids, we have to ask ourselves if we're lean enough in other areas to compete.

And guess where there's usually a ton of ineffective bloat? At middle management, supervisory, or project management level. Because you CAN get better people for more effective money there, where the technical markets are a lot more difficult to hire and keep.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: