Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992805 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3185 on: September 07, 2017, 02:55:55 PM

My guess is Delaware or South Dakota due to the favorable corporate laws in both states. 

Delaware would have the whole NE to draw employees from while many tech workers from Minnesota would be happy to move to SD with its lack of an income tax.

Their requirements include a city (assuming metro area) of over 1milliion.

And they are already incorporated in DE like probably 75% of the Fortune 500. This is for an office.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3186 on: September 07, 2017, 03:34:28 PM

the northeast only draws people who don't know how fucking shitty the northeast is

man

and it is shitty
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3187 on: September 07, 2017, 04:32:06 PM

Then I'll put in a good word for the Twin Cities metro area here in Minnesota.  Metro area over 3 million and more than the average of tech workers due to the large corporate and healthcare companies based here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:34:02 PM by Brolan »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3188 on: September 07, 2017, 04:52:13 PM

TOO. FUCKING. COLD.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3189 on: September 07, 2017, 05:41:47 PM

Yea fuck that
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3190 on: September 07, 2017, 06:39:48 PM

Cold yeah, BUT NO FUCKING HURRICANES!!!!
schild
Administrator

Reply #3191 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:51 PM

lol

unfortunately not really something that figures into things like this
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3192 on: September 07, 2017, 10:23:52 PM

while many tech workers from Minnesota would be happy to move to SD with its lack of an income tax.

That is not enough of an inducement to move to South Dakota.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3193 on: September 08, 2017, 06:25:13 AM

I do not know if I would want Amazon to open up something in the ATL or not.  It is a quandary.  Mostly because I do not believe I would want to work there.  However it could further tighten a job market that already favors the job seeker.  That would probably help me if I decided to move, but would be terrible for short-term hiring if I stay.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3194 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:01 AM

Speaking of changing jobs, are the Verizon locations all in Alpharetta?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #3195 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:50 AM

Too hard to get the people they need there in Detroit. There's only a handful of cities/areas in NA that could attract that many highly-skilled tech workers in a reasonable amount of time.

The powers that be here in Detroit just had an article published indicating they are going to put together a package. By "powers that be" I mean the business folks (esp Dan Gilbert). We've got the real estate, Amazon can suck UofM, State, Wane, etc. dry for qualified talent for years, and Amazon gets their pick of land in the city or the metro area.

We don't hit all their requirements, but who ever let that stop them from applying for a job? The talent question is a pretty big deal. Many of the engineers etc. that I worked with out west came from MI schools.

It's not a sure thing, but we don't have hurricanes, earthquakes, entire states full of burning, sharks, or whatnot. Thanks to climate change Detroit will soon be New Nashville for weather too! It's appealing.

Also, it's not as violent as you think. Unless you like hookers and drugs.

Oh hai?

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #3196 on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:38 AM

It's probably coming to Austin.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3197 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:33 AM

They mentioned they want a good mass transit system. Does Austin even have a bus system?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3198 on: September 08, 2017, 11:43:39 AM

Austin hits a ton of what they want.  CA has a ton of rules and pre-seployment required to mke a part time bot-job that everybody believes in.  In the end, its depends on how soon people want to leave that wastelad, rather than how pay pople want to lave, that drive shis character cratio.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:00:09 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3199 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:47 AM

That's a hell of a stroke. Might want to get it looked at.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3200 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:50 PM

They mentioned they want a good mass transit system. Does Austin even have a bus system?

We have a bus system and a light rail that goes from north to downtown.

Apparently the bus system is OK.

I wouldn't know. For reasons.

But that's really not that important. What is important is they just spent $14Bn on a business here that has a MASSIVE downtown headquarters already and enough property to build a second tower, on the bus line (if that really matters).

Also, half of America's biggest companies have their largest or second largest office here. Except Walmart, we fucking hate Walmart.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3201 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:39 PM

Speaking of changing jobs, are the Verizon locations all in Alpharetta?

No. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3202 on: September 10, 2017, 07:05:52 PM

That's a hell of a stroke. Might want to get it looked at.
lol, yeah.  I was trying to type that while having a conversation with somebody in the back of a car bumping badly down a shitty lao road late at night.  Wasn't even paying attention and apparently missed every key, heh.

I can't even make out what the fuck I was trying to type, so I'll just leave that up as is for comedy.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3203 on: September 19, 2017, 06:04:22 PM

This seems like the right thread.

So I (Senior Software Developer, MS in CS and 20 years experience) walk into work today and find out I'm getting fucked. There may be unfucking, but at the moment it looks like a handful of people are about to get offered a 10% effective pay cut by people who claim they're doing no such thing. And we have...little time...to decide if we want to keep our jobs. (Basically my job is changing companies, and if I'd like to remain employed, so am I).

Suffice it to say: I might be looking for a new job over the next few months, which gets me to my question: I've always sucked at writing my resume. I'm constitutionally incapable of lying on it, and get the nasty suspicion that a lot of people looking at my resume are thinking "20% of this is bullshit", so I'd like to pad that 20% back on. :)

Any tips or good resources? I'm giving management some time to come to their senses (there are some signs, and I think this whole thing had to do with a multi-company contractual clusterfuck that has resulted in said pay cut by people who don't think they're cutting our pay. Who have now been, loudly and at length by an angry room full of people, disabused of the notion. Quite a few close to irreplaceable people, in fact, though I wouldn't consider myself one) so no hurry, but....

If everyone lies on their resume, and I don't -- where should I be lying? :) I've primarily been a C/C++ coder  for scientific and engineering concerns. Which, given my location (Houston) means pitching to various NASA contractors or oil companies. I've got some old (more than 5 or 6 years ago) web development experience, and the usual raft of languages I've picked up. Anything I should toy with enough to fake knowing it? Areas to brush up on?

Which sucks -- I've been happy with my current, soon to be former, company and would have loved to keep working there. And I like my current job quite a bit. But not enough to accept bending over for this shit without looking around, you know?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3204 on: September 19, 2017, 06:18:00 PM

I would forgo doing it entirely and ask for recommendations for a good recruiter.  Anyone competent will have you working within a month probably for significantly more than you were making, and will help put it together for you.  You're more or less at the point in your career where jobs should be finding you, not vice versa.

Edit:  I really should give up trying to type on my phone.  Anyhow, none of that is meant as snark.  At this point, ask around for referrals, and maybe update your linkedin profile with the basics and flag yourself as looking as a start.  I'm generally in the same skill level and field as you, and you pretty much have two primary options outside working for yourself.  Find a recruiter and start taking high paying contracts until you find something you like, or figure out who you actually want to work for and apply directly.  The latter will require you get your resume in order, but the reality is that when someone with a lot of experience knocks directly on a door, they tend to at least get a courtesy call back pretty quick.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:39:45 PM by Ard »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3205 on: September 19, 2017, 06:36:56 PM

We're hiring Java and Angular devs for work-at-home positions if you (or anyone) is interested in that type of job.

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3206 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58:18 PM

If everyone lies on their resume, and I don't -- where should I be lying? :) I've primarily been a C/C++ coder  for scientific and engineering concerns. Which, given my location (Houston) means pitching to various NASA contractors or oil companies. I've got some old (more than 5 or 6 years ago) web development experience, and the usual raft of languages I've picked up. Anything I should toy with enough to fake knowing it? Areas to brush up on?

Which sucks -- I've been happy with my current, soon to be former, company and would have loved to keep working there. And I like my current job quite a bit. But not enough to accept bending over for this shit without looking around, you know?
All the cool kids don't have resumes and just use Github these days awesome, for real
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3207 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:59 PM

You can lie on your resume as long as it's not demonstrably false.  Like don't claim skills you don't have but you can inflate your level of expertise in skills you do.  Inflate your job duties but don't claim a title you don't have.

Of course if you go down this road then you have to remember your story and stick to it.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3208 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:34 PM

You know, or just don't inflate it at all, you have 20 years of experience.  Just create a short bullet list of things you did that you were proud of and can speak knowledgeably about.  It'll just get used as a list of things to grill you on anyhow, so you might as well lead the discussion in a direction that makes you look good.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3209 on: September 20, 2017, 06:41:53 AM

Thanks. We'll see how today's group conversation goes (the fucked employees versus high muckey mucks), but I've got a bit of a start. I simply haven't had to apply for a job in about 6 years (and that was an internal transfer). I'd claim I was rusty, but I've changed jobs so seldom since college that "rusty" implies I was once experienced at it.

What's pissing us all off is if we walked off the streets into their offices with our skillsets and experience, they would have offered a much higher salary. Given they don't actually have a reputation for screwing people (half my co-workers work for them), I think they've simply assumed our benefits were roughly equal to theirs and thus keeping our base salary and switching to their benefits would be basically a wash.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the information they have is basically our job codes and the hourly rate they pay out current company for our services. They may actually assume I get more of that hourly rate as salary than I do.

(Seriously, other than the fucking healthcare, my benefits are fucking fantastic. If they had a job opening anywhere else in my area, I'd be transferring instantly. I'm gonna miss them.)

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3210 on: September 20, 2017, 11:40:50 AM

If you stay at a place 2 years or more you've likely given up 50% of your eligible pay.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/

So switching jobs is something we should all be doing frequently.  We don't out of some misguided Gen-X loyalty instilled by our Grandparents and Parents.  It's bullshit. Companies are out for themselves, and we'd all be better off if we'd stop treating them as if they give a shit about us.

Even the kindest, most-giving employer will cut you loose before the company goes under and takes their livelihood with it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3211 on: September 20, 2017, 12:39:57 PM

Everything Ard said is right.

FWIW I was in a similar boat last year -- company started fucking people so I decided to get out.  I'd been at that company for close to two decades so looking for work was terrifying, but it turns out that two decades of industry experience makes you VERY desirable even if you have no idea what you're doing when it comes to job hunting.  I have no appetite for lying on a resume either, so I didn't.

Using a recruiter is where it's at, because actually searching for jobs and dealing with a bunch of individual (and largely incompetent) hiring coordinators is fucking exhausting, especially if you're still working full time.  The ones I went through pre-screened me with a coding test, gave me a little questionnaire about what I was looking for in my next job, and then came back with a list of positions and set me up with on-site interviews for the ones I was interested in (their pre-screening got me to qualify out of the usual phone screen stage).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3212 on: September 20, 2017, 01:09:46 PM

i hope more engineers/developers chime in because their interview experiences are NOTHING LIKE ANY OTHER JOBS ON THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET

the rest of you, lie through your fucking teeth
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3213 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:44 PM

My last job interview was basically "can you communicate without drooling on yourself?" and "can you get along with the other 10 people here?" in addition to minor technical questions.  Being an engineer responsible for overseeing other technicians and interacting with other departments to make projects succeed combined with a bit of "I can do the job, you just point me in the direction you think you want to go and I'll take it from here" elitism\attitude makes you extremely desirable as well.

I had a resume and yeah, I had stuff on it, but other than this one dick in 2009 I interviewed with people pretty much gave zero fucks about what it said other than "has college degree" and "has been in job force doing actual engineer stuff."
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3214 on: September 20, 2017, 04:48:46 PM

I just asked for a 10% to 20% raise. Almost 10% I can justify entirely on "This is benefits you're taking from me" (their package isn't bad, it's pretty industry standard) and the other 10% is "What other people here would pay me".

We'll see how that goes. (I realize offering a range basically says "Give me the bottom level" but we're actually doing the discussion tomorrow).

They made a point today that they routinely raise salaries to competitive area rates.  20% gets me to the top of that band.

We'll see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3215 on: September 20, 2017, 07:28:09 PM

I read one resume recently that actually didn't make me tired.  It was rather short with a nice two-column layout and used the phrase "long walks on the beach".  He starts in a week or so.

Perhaps related, we MAY be looking for scientific programmers.  We just hired some dude to basically do what his doctoral thesis was about (something to do with advanced uses of radar).  Naturally, we prefer a doctorate in meteorology (or related) with experience in gridded data formats, ability to program, and use tools like matlab or gridcalc.  But you never know until you look.

I've learned that these guys are very keen on hiring the right personality.  Which just deepens the mystery on how I was hired. Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3216 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:57 PM

i hope more engineers/developers chime in because their interview experiences are NOTHING LIKE ANY OTHER JOBS ON THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET

the rest of you, lie through your fucking teeth

In terms of engineers need to be able to put up or shut up?   awesome, for real You're probably not wrong.

I do a lot of coding interviews these days; when I was interviewing I thought it was annoying, but now that I've seen more of the spectrum of what's out there I can definitely see the value.  There is to some extent an element of being able to interview well vs being able to perform under more "normal" conditions, but given that in our line of work you occasionally need to be able to debug shit under pressure, if the stress of an interview situation makes you unable to do intro-to-CS-level coding, that's a pretty clear negative signal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3217 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:15 PM

If an engineer is qualified for a job, they know it before going in. More than that, an engineer should be interviewing the job more than vice versa. Can you tolerate that particular brand of bullshit, etc. I'd love for companies to let applicants sit in on meetings, for example.

Anyway, yes, engineers need to put up or shut up, because frankly, America churns them the fuck out and the average engineer is completely interchangeable with the next average engineer.

Everyone here is exceptional though. I love all of you.

But I'd only hire about six of you.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3218 on: September 20, 2017, 08:18:09 PM

Having interviewed a bunch of average engineers, I'd say that the average engineer is interchangeable with a paperweight.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3219 on: September 20, 2017, 09:11:19 PM

Having interviewed a bunch of average engineers, I'd say that the average engineer is interchangeable with a paperweight.

Nah, they have their place, otherwise how would any of these companies breach 25 employees (across all departments)?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: