Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Oscar Picks '05 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oscar Picks '05  (Read 19508 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #140 on: February 28, 2005, 05:01:37 PM

Very few can film action scenes like Woo can, but that's where my praise stops. The action may be good, but a John Woo film in it's entirety is almost always an unwatchable piece of shit. He should be a choreographer or stunt coordinator, not a filmmaker.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 28, 2005, 05:27:28 PM

I'm the resident John Woo fanboi. I own Hard Boiled, The Killer, MI-2 , and probably a better tomorrow. I love his early stuff. The part that kills me is you guys bitching he can only do one thing must have never read an interview with him. He's tired of his "thing" as well, however, when he gets hired, he gets hired to do a John Woo movie and is usually told to put those elements in. See: Paycheck for an example.

Sean Penn is kind of creepy, but it's an honest creepy. I'd rather have dinner with him than Chris Rock any day. Rock would be trying to hard and Sean Penn would be like "I don't give a fuck if you like me or not."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #142 on: February 28, 2005, 06:19:02 PM

The day I give a shit about Japanese cinema is the day I let him pick my film on movie night.

Look, Schild doesn't know shit about movies.  He without fail picks some navel gazing, faux existentialist piece of shit as the epitome of "art".  In short, he's a douche.  That, however, doesn't mean that Japanese movies are crap.  Particularly, Kurosawa is a fucking genius.  Of course, a lot of the reason he appeals to us so much is because he was obsessed with western culture and literature, so you've got a lot of those themes in his movies.  If you want to see the best film version of King Lear ever made, check out Ran.  Awesome movie.

Of course, we get into weirdness where Kurosawa is interpreting western themes, and then westerners reinterpret his movies and remake them:  Seven Samurai --> Magnificent Seven,  Hidden Fortress --> Star Wars.  You start getting into interpretations of interpretations.

Did you get that in 5 cents in late fees at the local library? Don't sum up Kurosawa's career in what you'll find in the kiddy section of the newspaper. And don't shit on me for picking films you'll never understand at their most base level. It's a cute party trick to discuss Kurosawa's influence on modern film. I could do it when I was eight years old. Read this, take two tylenol, sleep on it, and then come back and talk about Kurosawa before I run circles around you. Other cinematic geniuses from Japan? Yasujiro Ozu, Takashi Miike, Kinji Fukusaki - do I need to go on or have I already lost you? We can do any other country you want as well. France, Italy, Russia, Britain, Canada, Mexico, China, Hong Kong, etc. Seriously, you don't want to step on my ability to injest everything I read and regurgitate it out. You don't know shit about me and you arent about to pin me as *phile of any country. I'm a fan of CINEMA - whether that be from b-rate directors on the Troma ticket or the most art faggy thing to come out of the Netherlands from last spring.

I'd like you to find somewhere that I picked a "faux existentialist piece of shit" for anything. Because, sorry bucko, you're barking up the wrong tree if you think Huckabees was just that. You should step out of your world of the Washington Post movie reviews section.

Stray, there's a japanese movie where they eat humans, call it monkey and then there's a guy on a hill eating his own shit. Castrating themselves is the least of my worries.

Riggswolfe, being an early John Woo fanatic, I have to agree, The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 are quite good. The latter two probably being his most cohesive story. He's goddamn bad at staying on track and completely bit ass  since he set foot on US soil. If you're looking for movies with the depth of his films - minus the doves - go rent Infernal Affairs, they pitched it as a cop movie with hot chicks in America, but it's so much more.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #143 on: February 28, 2005, 06:42:55 PM

If you're looking for movies with the depth of his films - minus the doves - go rent Infernal Affairs, they pitched it as a cop movie with hot chicks in America, but it's so much more.

Holy shit, he did that? I always thought Shakespeare wrote it.

That's a good one though. I agree.

As for Japanese Cinema, I don't completely hate it. Like I said: I just wish they'd get their balls back (Miike just doesn't do it for me). I'm a big action flick guy, so I simply can not ingest most of the weird shit that comes out of Japan these days.

The only highlight for recent Japanese cinema for me is Tetsuo. Not only does that film have balls -- It's got big steel ones.

Don't even get me started on Tetsuo though. It's unspeakable.
schild
Administrator

Reply #144 on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:21 PM

No, I don't recall the name of the Infernal Affairs guy atm.

Japan's latest pure action/sci-fi outting, Casshern, was utter shit. Avoid at all costs or watch it muted.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 28, 2005, 08:22:18 PM

I'd like you to find somewhere that I picked a "faux existentialist piece of shit" for anything. Because, sorry bucko, you're barking up the wrong tree if you think Huckabees was just that. You should step out of your world of the Washington Post movie reviews section.

See, this tells me everything about you that I need to know; you're a fan of self-indulgent wankery.  No need to get all defensive about it, pookie bear.
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: February 28, 2005, 08:29:09 PM

Big Gulp, I expect more from you than blatent trolling.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #147 on: February 28, 2005, 08:54:02 PM

Sheesh... what do you want, schild?  He called you Pookie Bear!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #148 on: February 28, 2005, 09:14:21 PM

He wants respect, dammit! Too bad the internet is severely lacking in that category.

As for films, people's knowledge of film generally turns them into self-important jackasses the more they learn about it. Because, in reality, it's a form of art. People judge art, and they criticize art, but it's a very subjective medium. Take the movie High Fidelity. You see men who have such a broad knowledge of the field of music that they become snobs to people who like what they consider to be pedestrian. Is it true though, that better knowledge breeds better taste? I would argue against that. Better knowledge just gives you more options to define your own particular style. When people get overly vehement that their style is the best style and therefor the best that the entire medium has to offer, that is where I take issue.

And birds go tweet.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #149 on: February 28, 2005, 09:37:48 PM

Well said, man.
schild
Administrator

Reply #150 on: February 28, 2005, 09:38:35 PM

I don't think, by any means, that my style if the best style. Some movies just suck so much ass, I don't know how people can like them. But then, some people don't think either.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 28, 2005, 11:17:05 PM

I don't think, by any means, that my style if the best style. Some movies just suck so much ass, I don't know how people can like them. But then, some people don't think either.

Please send me a list of movies deemed objectively worthy of schild, otherwise I will be incapable of thought.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #152 on: February 28, 2005, 11:22:18 PM

Here, let me give you an example:

Maria Full of Grace.

Unless for some reason, you have empathy for mules - this movie is a piece of shit. Yet it got a cockslobbering from the entire industry.

Another one that falls into this category, is Sideways. Now Ardent, you've done nothing other than assault me and defend YOUR REACTION to the movie. You haven't even discussed the movie itself. Are we going to get to that? Or am I just going to have to deal with insults and childish roundabout?
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: March 01, 2005, 07:18:27 AM

EDIT: I agree with Paelos, I'm as tired of this shit as everyone else. If I'm not mistaken, we're supposed to be discussing the Oscars here.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:02:24 AM by Ardent »

Um, never mind.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #154 on: March 01, 2005, 07:20:05 AM

Get a room, you two.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #155 on: March 01, 2005, 08:14:31 AM

Big birds go TWEET.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #156 on: March 01, 2005, 08:19:57 AM

The Killer was a good movie. The problem with John Woo is that he can only really do one thing, so it gets old after a while. White doves anyone?

His best US film is probably...Hard Target?

I think Face/Off was his best US film. Hard Target had Van Dummbe, Broken Arrow was decent if a little too heavy on the helicopters crashing, Paycheck was unspectacular and had too many doves, and both Windtalkers and Mission Impossible 2 were just ass flappings on film.

EDIT: We pretty much stopped discussing the Oscars because the Ocars are self-fellation of the Hollywood El33t. Fuck the Oscars.

As for Japanese cinema, I saw Tetsuo a few years ago and am STILL goddamn scarred. Should I ever go to Japan, I will be afraid to drink the fucking water. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:23:59 AM by HaemishM »

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: March 01, 2005, 08:32:07 AM

A person's reaction to a piece of art depends on the progression of their life. Childhood, education, prejudice, maturity, death, relationships ... all of these factors merge to form how a human being filters their reaction to a film, and whether it entertains or annoys.

Understanding this, different people are going to have very different reactions to all kinds of art. Chris Rock's little piece on the Oscars about black people not caring about "white" movies is a crude illustration of this.

However, despite any accolades or jeers a piece of art may receive, no matter how many Oscars or other meaningless marketing hooks are draped around a film, ultimately any reaction to a film is opinion. Art must pass through the filters of experience, and how it is deposited on the other side of that filter is different for everybody.

The Academy people who cast their votes for Million Dollar Baby were touched by something, whether it was the film itself or the marketing campaign that begged for Oscars, those people felt strongly enough about their opinion to use their influence to honor it. I can choose to accept their decision or not, and my choice might make me unpopular or pigheaded, but I'm not wrong because of what side I choose.

That's why I have a hard time when someone presents their opinion as objective fact. That person is not taking into account that their experiences form a strong perspective in their own mind, but since those experiences are not shared by anyone else other than themself, something that brought out a strong reaction (whether rapturous or repellent) may meet with utter indifference in others.

Some people might classify The Godfather as an objectively brilliant movie, one of the best ever made, and I would agree with that ... yet I have a very intelligent friend who hated it. I despised Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, yet I've seen it praised on this very discussion board. I understand that my opinion is just that, and I am not going to call someone wrong for expressing the ideas they formulated through their filter of life experience, just because it differs from mine.

Um, never mind.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #158 on: March 01, 2005, 08:44:26 AM

Yes, but I think we can objectively all agree that this film REALLY SUCKED MONKEY COCK.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #159 on: March 01, 2005, 10:30:35 AM

It's no "Glitter"

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 01, 2005, 11:27:00 AM

Did you get that in 5 cents in late fees at the local library? Don't sum up Kurosawa's career in what you'll find in the kiddy section of the newspaper. And don't shit on me for picking films you'll never understand at their most base level. It's a cute party trick to discuss Kurosawa's influence on modern film. I could do it when I was eight years old. Read this, take two tylenol, sleep on it, and then come back and talk about Kurosawa before I run circles around you. Other cinematic geniuses from Japan? Yasujiro Ozu, Takashi Miike, Kinji Fukusaki - do I need to go on or have I already lost you? We can do any other country you want as well. France, Italy, Russia, Britain, Canada, Mexico, China, Hong Kong, etc. Seriously, you don't want to step on my ability to injest everything I read and regurgitate it out. You don't know shit about me and you arent about to pin me as *phile of any country. I'm a fan of CINEMA - whether that be from b-rate directors on the Troma ticket or the most art faggy thing to come out of the Netherlands from last spring.

This was a lot funnier the first time I saw it in Good Will Hunting - You should have added the "How do you like them apples" bit. That was the funny part.

schild
Administrator

Reply #161 on: March 01, 2005, 11:34:15 AM

Only the first sentence was from Hunting. You're the second person who grafted the whole thing to that scene. Also, I thought the first sentence was apropos. The first thing anyone learns about Kurosawa is his influence on a certain handful of movies. After that, they think they know something other people don't. It's common fucking knowledge and should be treated as such.

Edit: Words are hard.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #162 on: March 01, 2005, 11:42:41 AM

So sayeth Riki Tiki Tavi w/ the 30.06:

Kurosawa is now common knowledge.

Which means my knowledge just got a lot less common.

schild
Administrator

Reply #163 on: March 01, 2005, 11:48:51 AM

So sayeth Riki Tiki Tavi w/ the 30.06:

Kurosawa is now common knowledge.

Which means my knowledge just got a lot less common.

I hate people putting spin on my shit. I did NOT say Kurosawa was common knowledge, I said this was:

Quote from: Big Gulp
Of course, a lot of the reason he appeals to us so much is because he was obsessed with western culture and literature, so you've got a lot of those themes in his movies.  If you want to see the best film version of King Lear ever made, check out Ran.  Awesome movie.

Of course, we get into weirdness where Kurosawa is interpreting western themes, and then westerners reinterpret his movies and remake them:  Seven Samurai --> Magnificent Seven,  Hidden Fortress --> Star Wars.  You start getting into interpretations of interpretations.

If there's ANYTHING people know about him, besides what movies he made, it's the stuff in quotes above.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #164 on: March 01, 2005, 01:46:34 PM

Yes, but I think we can objectively all agree that this film REALLY SUCKED MONKEY COCK.

My god, you actually made a concious decision to watch that movie.  I know you do the pain for the review thing, but that is masocism brother.  Seek help.

Schild, I really want to shoot your avatar.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #165 on: March 01, 2005, 02:14:18 PM

No, that was one movie I could determine the suckiness of without having to watch it.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #166 on: March 01, 2005, 03:00:28 PM

No, that was one movie I could determine the suckiness of without having to watch it.

Watch it, Glitter, and Crossroads in the same day.  Then write a review on life.

But please remove all sharp utensils from the immediate vicinity.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 01, 2005, 03:35:19 PM

When I watched Ran in Japanese class in highschool I thought it was about a sheet smuggling ring. It's actaully not that good of a movie that way.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Oscar Picks '05  
Jump to: