Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Oscar Picks '05 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oscar Picks '05  (Read 19507 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: February 28, 2005, 10:02:45 AM

Beyonce and Jay-Z need to be shoved in a dark corner of the cultural closet of America and left there.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 28, 2005, 10:25:02 AM

Well, as for Chris Rock. I wasn't surprised that a big part of his comedy was about race. He is one of those black comedians who is totally hung up on the whole race thing. Too bad, he used to be pretty funny before he decided this was how to get laughs from his chosen crowd.

Now about Foxx, his acceptance speech was the best of the whole night. That man showed class and I loved his speech. I was terrified he'd get up their and pull a Halle Berry and try to make it out how it's so hard because he's black. Nope, he talked about his grandmother and came off as a very upright kinda guy. I liked him before and I was only further impressed by him last night. Good show Foxx!

I was kind of surprised by the Million Dollar Baby success, I like most expected a split, Scorcesee to get best director, Baby to get picture. Oh well. Guess they still love Clint.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 28, 2005, 10:27:10 AM

Now about Foxx, his acceptance speech was the best of the whole night. That man showed class and I loved his speech. I was terrified he'd get up their and pull a Halle Berry and try to make it out how it's so hard because he's black. Nope, he talked about his grandmother and came off as a very upright kinda guy. I liked him before and I was only further impressed by him last night. Good show Foxx!

Agreed.  I didn't like the shout-response thing in the beginning, but the rest was very good.

I liked Morgan Freeman's speech a lot, too.  Brief, classy, and not fame whoring.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 28, 2005, 10:31:20 AM

Chris Rock is black? Who knew.

What is that thing on the back of Foxx's head? A birthmark? A tattoo?

Um, never mind.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 28, 2005, 10:40:16 AM

It's a fake tatoo for some movie.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #75 on: February 28, 2005, 10:46:42 AM

Sideways sucked.

The writer had no story to write so he wrote an autobiographical story with him as the main character and the guy he wishes in his darkest moment he could be as his friend. Then he rides around talking about how ugly he is. Then he forces a character to like his and he has so much self loathing that he cant even write himself a happy ending.
AAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!

I think you might be too young to "get" Sideways

I get it you wish you weren't you. You're so caught up in your own neurosis that you can't even fantasize about a better life cause you don't deserve it. You have clinical depression, kill yourself or go get help.

Rex Pickett is a freak. I mean that literally he should be put on display for all of us. "Come see the amazing ego-less man! Come heap praise upon him, it will do nothing! To him we are all hideous reflections of his own failings and inadequacies."

Perhaps I connected with Sideways because I myself am a plump, divorced, failed novelist.
...who also cannot see beyond reflections of himself.  This movie isn't about you, neither is the criticism.  If however you 'see yourself in it', then get yourself a good shrink, really it will do wonders for you.

Now in due fairness, If pressed for a compliment for the movie I might go as far as to say this movie is a great way to diagnose depression. But Rorschach ain't no painter and Pickett ain't no novelist!

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 28, 2005, 10:47:06 AM

Sideways was a good film, but there was a bit too much about wine in it. I don't like wine at all and I really couldn't care less about it, so certain parts of the movie were quite boring.

Eternal Sunshine was the best movie I saw last year that was up for an award. (I don't watch many movies though) Shattered Glass was the best movie I saw last year overall though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: February 28, 2005, 10:49:46 AM

Shattered Glass was the best movie I saw last year overall though.

Is that a typo? I mean, it was a decent movie, but Hayden Christenson is one whiny piece of shit. He's the only reason that movie didn't do a LOT better. Peter Sarsgaard was money.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #78 on: February 28, 2005, 10:51:54 AM

Perhaps I connected with Sideways because I myself am a plump, divorced, failed novelist.
...who also cannot see beyond reflections of himself.  This movie isn't about you, neither is the criticism.  If however you 'see yourself in it', then get yourself a good shrink, really it will do wonders for you.

Now in due fairness, If pressed for a compliment for the movie I might go as far as to say this movie is a great way to diagnose depression. But Rorschach ain't no painter and Pickett ain't no novelist!

Woah there chief, I'm guessing you aren't a mental health pro because they wouldn't be stupid enough to diagnose people based on movie connections over the internet. So, let's keep the depression criticisms to yourself, eh?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: February 28, 2005, 10:54:06 AM

Seriously though, Sideways and American Splendor are nothing more than "praise the pitiable clever dork." MEH. Tis crap.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 28, 2005, 10:56:27 AM

I get it you wish you weren't you. You're so caught up in your own neurosis that you can't even fantasize about a better life cause you don't deserve it. You have clinical depression, kill yourself or go get help.

Wow, koboshi. That was a genuinely ugly thing to say. You do realize there are actual human beings reading your words, right?

If you're kidding, you're not funny. If you're not kidding, then I'm not the one who needs help.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: February 28, 2005, 10:57:36 AM

He's talking about the writer of the movie.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 28, 2005, 11:04:10 AM

He's talking about the writer of the movie.

If he is, he needs to make that more clear. He said that directly following a quote from me.

In any case, I'll just ignore it for the stream of stupid shit that it is.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:05:54 AM by Ardent »

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: February 28, 2005, 11:06:20 AM

He's my roommate from college. I can generally follow his bizarre logic. And I am 100% sure he is talking about the writer of the movie/the main character (who is the writer).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #84 on: February 28, 2005, 11:07:10 AM

If he was, I addressed it as well. It was poorly worded and out of line.

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: February 28, 2005, 11:11:38 AM

Poorly worded maybe. Out of line? Depends on how much you care for the movie. Paul Giamatti plays depressing characters. He is meant to be pitied. He does not care for your praise. He continually seems like he's on the brink of suicide. These things come from the writer of a movie. This type of character combined with the usual pretentiousness that comes with a wine-tasting trip results in quite the amount of rage-filled emotion I'd expect from any student of cinema. Koboshi's response is not surprising. I've no pity for him though and generally don't let writers - particularly when it's as obvious as this movie was - project themselves at me through puppet strings in their writing. Don't get hung up on what Koboshi wrote, discuss the movie - and if you took what he wrote personally, rethink it, it wasn't aimed at you.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #86 on: February 28, 2005, 11:18:43 AM

I only meant out of line in the sense of directing it at a poster. On the idea of talking about the writer's seeming depression influencing his medium, I believe he is correct.

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 28, 2005, 11:24:31 AM

Sideways is ultimately not a movie about depression, it's about hope. When depression hits, it's common to think that you are not worthy of love, that you do not deserve happiness. Sideways shows that despite the bleakness, it is possible to push your way through the darkness, allow yourself to understand that you ARE capable of love, you DO deserve empathy and understanding, and ultimately, there is humor and friendship even in the darkness.

That's what I got from the movie, and it hit me in a very deep place, for reasons you will never understand.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: February 28, 2005, 11:28:32 AM

Sideways is ultimately not a movie about depression, it's about hope. When depression hits, it's common to think that you are not worthy of love, that you do not deserve happiness. Sideways shows that despite the bleakness, it is possible to push your way through the darkness, allow yourself to understand that you ARE capable of love, you DO deserve empathy and understanding, and ultimately, there is humor and friendship even in the darkness.

Shawshank Redemption is a movie about hope. Sideways is a movie about the writer being a bitchass.

That's what I got from the movie, and it hit me in a very deep place, for reasons you will never understand.

That's about as pretentious as the movie seemed to me. Impressive. Animality!

Edit: Excuse the animality bit. I'm still hung up on episode 2 of Robot Chicken. Which, again, was brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:30:21 AM by schild »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #89 on: February 28, 2005, 11:34:57 AM

You could be a bigger ass here.  Really.  Sky's the limit.   Art faggery sometimes can go a bit too far and push you out in the realm of "crazy bastard that has it in for certain crap and sounds like a douche when discussing it".   I think it would be wise to thrown down some sort of soiled white flag and call it a day. 

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: February 28, 2005, 11:38:23 AM

You could be a bigger ass here.  Really.  Sky's the limit.   Art faggery sometimes can go a bit too far and push you out in the realm of "crazy bastard that has it in for certain crap and sounds like a douche when discussing it".   I think it would be wise to thrown down some sort of soiled white flag and call it a day.

Because a couple people think that Sideways is the greatest movie of last year? I don't think so. That fine award goes to about 10 other movies first. Then, maybe, I'll let the critical acclaim of Sideways squeek it into the top 20. As I can see it, people aren't talking about the quality of the movie but rather how it hit home. For some people Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo may have hit home. Doesn't make it a good movie.

I think I hit 11 on the art fag meter with this post. I'll go for 12 next time if you keep pushing me.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 28, 2005, 11:40:31 AM

I liked Morgan Freeman's speech a lot, too.  Brief, classy, and not fame whoring.

I agree. Then again I'd be shocked if Morgan Freeman didn't act classy. It'd be about as bizarro world
as  Bill Cosby calling a woman his ho and slapping her around. Or Bob Barker calling Adam Sandler a bit...
no wait, that actually happened.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #92 on: February 28, 2005, 11:41:15 AM

Schild,

I don't normally post stuff like this, but your avatar makes me want to do a little of that ultra-violence upside your head.

Sideways can stay on the sideline.  Agree there.  More credit for Morgan Freeman is always good in my book, I really enjoyed his visit on the Actor's Studio.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 28, 2005, 11:41:46 AM

That's about as pretentious as the movie seemed to me. Impressive. Animality!

Thanks for proving my point. You don't understand, and have no intention of having a rational discussion.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:38 AM

I have intention of discussing the MOVIE rationally. Not your personal life. I try to stay away from that. I've no need to understand how it hit you to discuss the low quality of a film. A lot of movies have hit home with me in a very serious way, but as movies it doesn't necessarily make them better.

By the way, you didn't make a point in your post, all you said was I'd never get how it effected you since I'm not you. Which is nothing more than a true statement.
Rasix

Reply #95 on: February 28, 2005, 11:48:34 AM

I thought it was a good flick? Best of year?  No, not really. For my dollar, Collateral was better but I didn't see any of the other nominated best picture movies.  Wanted to see Aviator, but I really don't like going to see movies I'm only moderately interested in that may run over 3 hours.  Shattered Glass was fucking boring IMO.  Friday Night Lights was also a good flick which I think got overlooked (fuck, Tim McGraw can act!).

The movie was well written.  It was funny.  It was depressing.  It had a glimmer of hope.  It had some interesting wine stuff which is more poignant if you've been to Napa recently or are somewhat knowledgeable about the subject (I still think it lended a lot to all aspects of the movie even if you knew zilch about wine). It was worth the price of admission.  I enjoyed myself and so did my wife who generally hates despressing movies.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #96 on: February 28, 2005, 11:50:21 AM

The movie was well written.  It was funny.  It was depressing.  It had a glimmer of hope.  It had some interesting wine stuff which is more poignant if you've been to Napa recently or are somewhat knowledgeable about the subject (I still think it lended a lot to all aspects of the movie even if you knew zilch about wine). It was worth the price of admission.  I enjoyed myself and so did my wife who generally hates despressing movies.

That was my problem with it. I know about wine. I made it a point to teach myself a lot about it. I got into the movie for free.

Still found it unbearable. This is after being excited by the trailers.
Rasix

Reply #97 on: February 28, 2005, 11:56:53 AM

I bet you drink Merlot.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #98 on: February 28, 2005, 11:58:29 AM

I bet you drink Merlot.

I bet a bunch of high-falutin shitheads who saw this movie would say the same thing. Like I said before: p-r-e-t-e-n-t-i-o-u-s.

Yes, I know you're making a funneh.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #99 on: February 28, 2005, 12:03:53 PM

I'm happy about the turn this thread took.

koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #100 on: February 28, 2005, 12:13:07 PM

first of all "you" was a reference to the fact that the writer, pickett, put himself in the book.
but since you mention it...

You said that before, and I, and anyone who has taken the time to read what you said about yourself and the movie, understand.
...who also cannot see beyond reflections of himself.  This movie isn't about you, neither is the criticism.  If however you 'see yourself in it', then get yourself a good shrink, really it will do wonders for you.
You think you have found a character on screen that you can project onto, and that if someone attacks them they are attacking you, and you think this is special. Wake up!  That is how movies work, you project onto the protagonist so when you see them win the great victory you feel that you have, "in a very deep place, for reasons you will never understand".  However this character, and as I see it this writer, have problems with depression.  Three of my direct family members have mild to serious depression issues and it can be a real problem.  Don't think for a moment I am dismissing the pain of a depressed person.  However they and everyone else I have met with Clinical Depression who gets treated gets better (not cured, but better).
The reason I attack this movie so dramatically is because people think, "Oh, I don't need to worry its normal to feel this way about yourself."  It's not, it's a mental defect, it's Clinical Depression and it can be life threatening.

Woah there chief, I'm guessing you aren't a mental health pro because they wouldn't be stupid enough to diagnose people based on movie connections over the internet. So, let's keep the depression criticisms to yourself, eh?

Fine you caught me I'm an armchair shrink at best. But am I right?

edit: PS: Now after talking about this movie for this long I feel dirty, I'm going to have to go bathe in the glory that is my "I [heart] Huckabees" 2 disk special edition.  I'll try not to remeber how it got absolutely snubbed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 12:21:26 PM by koboshi »

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 28, 2005, 12:17:10 PM

I know about wine. I made it a point to teach myself a lot about it.

Glad to know you're not afraid to get in touch with your inner pantywaist.
schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: February 28, 2005, 12:18:06 PM

I know about wine. I made it a point to teach myself a lot about it.

Glad to know you're not afraid to get in touch with your inner pantywaist.

Never said otherwise.  :-D
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 28, 2005, 12:18:26 PM

It had some interesting wine stuff which is more poignant if you've been to Napa recently or are somewhat knowledgeable about the subject (I still think it lended a lot to all aspects of the movie even if you knew zilch about wine).

Well, I'm over 30 years old, I live 45 minutes south of Napa Valley, I've travelled to the French wine country, I'm seriously into wine.  So I'll try not to be an art fag, but I just have to rant ...

I heard an interview on NPR with Rex Pickett, and came away thinking the guy was a huge prick precisely because of his "knowledge" about wine.  Words fail me to describe this guy's complete satisfaction with himself at every point in that interview.  An example:  The guy goes off on merlot claiming that its really for people with "indiscriminate" palates.  Presuming to categorize a varietal that is loved the world over in that way is the height of ego self-buggery.

So, after that interview, I decided to read the book.  I figure, what the heck.  I've been through fairly serious depression, maybe it will resonate.  It didn't.  The man's prickishness comes through with every arrogant thing his main character does.  This book reads like the author is trying to convince you that only he could write this book.  The reader is either too stupid or too "indiscriminate" to get the meaning.  Meh.

Then I decide I'll go see the movie.  The author's a jerk, the book was complete arrogant presumption, but I figure I'll give the movie a shot.  While the movie is marginally better than the book, that still didn't save it from being a craptastic depression-fest laced with dialogue that speaks down to the viewer at every turn.  I mean, I actually enjoyed  Episode One a little bit.  I'm not that hard a movie-goer to please.  My standards are low, yet Sideways managed to be one of the few movies I almost walked out on.

Neither Rex Pickett nor Sideways merits much more than a "Oh yeah, I think I've heard of that," and instead we have people fawning over both.  I just don't get it.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #104 on: February 28, 2005, 12:23:04 PM

Mmmm, Merlot. It's about the only alcohol I like.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Oscar Picks '05  
Jump to: