Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefall - Red 5  (Read 94849 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:14 AM

So, this is what Red 5 has been up to.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Beta signups on the site.

EDIT:

What we know - free to play, microtransaction-based. Jetpacks, power armor, vehicles. How MMO is it exactly? Unknown. No information on competitive stuff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:29:42 PM by Nonentity »

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00:12 AM

Looks cool.  One part Borderlands, one part Tabula Rasa, two parts Global Agenda.  I really like the thumper part of the gameplay video, not to mention it looks like the AI faction attacked their city.  Don't see that in games often. 
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:30 AM

The world looks great, gameplay not so much. Also pet peeve number one: why are scifi guns always so shit? A mob called "Titan" shoots a huge energy ball at mudbrick houses, a tiny explosion happens and nobody's impressed. Have some ambition people, that thing is less powerful than a 17th century mortar.

Fake edit: What's with the Starcraft font anyway?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:09:19 AM by jakonovski »
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:30 AM

Not sure how much 'MMO' is gonna be in this one - it's a persistent shooter with no monthly fee. It sounds like Borderlands with a more MMO slant.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:21 AM

One part Borderlands, one part Tabula Rasa, two parts Global Agenda.

+ Starship troopers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:01:20 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:40 AM

Fake edit: What's with the Starcraft font anyway?

Yeah, that needs a changeup. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:41:13 PM

The co-founders are all ex-Blizzard.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:16:33 PM

Looks like fun
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:35:35 PM

The world looks great, gameplay not so much. Also pet peeve number one: why are scifi guns always so shit? A mob called "Titan" shoots a huge energy ball at mudbrick houses, a tiny explosion happens and nobody's impressed. Have some ambition people, that thing is less powerful than a 17th century mortar.

Also lacking friendly fire from the bit of gameplay I watched at the end.  Gun games without FF always lose my interest.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:40:01 PM

Starship Troopers + HL2 antlions or ME1 rachni. Meh. Zero points for story originality.

Very nice landscape art. To my eye, though, the character art doesn't match it. People are noticeably more "drawn" looking than the environment. No, it's not just the artificial black outlining that makes me saythat.

Monster town invasions are fun.

Mouse-based shooter gameplay trumps keyboard-based DIKU gameplay.

Yeah, I'd try this.

EDIT: I think the most impressive thing about the landscape is the extraordinary richness of the color palatte. Even relatively monochromatic areas are interesting to look at.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:53:03 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:02:16 PM

The world also uses all three dimensions, which is pretty much a first. What makes it all come together is that it's seamless. Loading screens between zones are of the devil, and horribly lazy game design.   
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 02:29:07 PM

EDIT: I think the most impressive thing about the landscape is the extraordinary richness of the color palatte. Even relatively monochromatic areas are interesting to look at.

They somehow got their heightfields to make overhangs. That's pretty damn awesome.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 02:56:39 PM

Oh hell yeah!! 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 03:06:21 PM

wow
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 03:31:52 PM

I haven't seen much of it at PAX but what immediately struck me is how much it looked like a fusion between StarCraft and Phantasy Star in style. Logo screams StarCraft styling.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 03:47:14 PM

Gameplay video looks pretty great...

Also not noted anywhere on this thread is that this is going to be a free to play game.

Firefall will feature a free-to-play model that allows players to experience every detail of the vibrant world without having to pay a penny. Updates to the game, dynamic world events, and other content will also be offered without a price tag, while a marketplace will allow fans to purchase optional enhancements.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/Red-5-finally-announces-their-first-game---Firefall---now-taking-beta-pplications/Item19442.aspx
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:01 PM

I love power armor to an unhealthy degree.  I hope this game is worth a shit.  Seamless world looks cool, reminds me of planetside a little.  F2P, well guess we'll see how it gets put in.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 04:29:15 PM

Also lacking friendly fire from the bit of gameplay I watched at the end.  Gun games without FF always lose my interest.

We can't have nice things.  Online game + friendly fire = massive griefing.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:09 PM

I also saw a multi-user air ship (that I suspect wasn't 100% done as there was an inside but they did not climb in) and some motorbikes of some sort. That's just ...  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I wonder in what ways it will be MMGish.

We can't have nice things.  Online game + friendly fire = massive griefing.

Weapon lock system from PS was a good way of dealing with it I thought.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 06:19:56 PM

They somehow got their heightfields to make overhangs. That's pretty damn awesome.

Large static meshes?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 06:45:05 PM

I also saw a multi-user air ship (that I suspect wasn't 100% done as there was an inside but they did not climb in) and some motorbikes of some sort. That's just ...  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I wonder in what ways it will be MMGish.

We can't have nice things.  Online game + friendly fire = massive griefing.

Weapon lock system from PS was a good way of dealing with it I thought.

I wouldn't say good. It became acceptable. But still in any video game system with FF, you're going to have goony situations crop up. Speedbump players running in front of tanks, people in squads still blasting each other out of boredom. Etc.

Oh, the game? Hell, I'll try it. Looks interesting enough.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:53:28 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:32:58 PM

The current, not so obvious to find,  FAQ:

What is Firefall?

Firefall is a team-based action shooter combining deep character progression with an open-world cooperative campaign that can be shared with hundreds of other players. Firefall will also have a rich competitive multiplayer component incorporating built-in features such as clan support, ladders, tournaments and stats.

Firefall takes place on Earth, but it is an Earth transformed. The year is 2233. A highly efficient form of energy was discovered by utilizing the resource Crystite. The overuse of Crystite led to the disastrous arrival of the Melding, an energy storm that has engulfed the majority of the planet. You play as a surviving human in the eye of the Melding storm.

Recently, humanity has been fighting for survival against a race calling themselves the Chosen. They emerged from the Melding with only one known goal, the destruction of the human race.

When does the game come out?

We are planning to release Firefall at the end of 2011.

Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

How much will Firefall cost to play?

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?

Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

What are you showing at PAX?

We are demoing a portion of the open-world experience. You can check out the same demonstration (minus the awesome experience of meeting the dev team) by checking out the movies on http://www.firefallthegame.com

Are there any additional details regarding the competitive multiplayer?

For now, we are only discussing the open-world co-op experience. You can expect to see a lot more about the muliplayer experience at a later date.

What are battleframes?

Battleframes are sets of armor and weapons that denote your class in Firefall. You will customize these pieces of armor and weapons through modules and upgrades to create your own unique style of play. Battleframes can be switched out during gameplay at a battleframe station, giving you the option to change tactics on-the-fly.

How many battleframes will there be at launch?

For PAX, we are only talking about the Assault and Medic battleframes. Additional details will be released later.
Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 10:10:51 PM

That video was awesome, especially the city fight.

I can't wait to try it out.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 12:37:37 AM

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?

Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

My interest just went down a notch.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 04:47:38 AM

The Melding is one of the worst villain names I've seen.

Are we also going to have an argument over the practicality of that armour?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Looks good enough to give a shot.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 05:56:47 AM

Why exactly? Assuming they follow through with not letting the items ruin the skill based part of the game, I don't see an issue.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 06:16:29 AM

The Melding is one of the worst villain names I've seen.

Are we also going to have an argument over the practicality of that armour?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

That was my first grouse but I let it go because it was obvious that the intent was "Looks cool" not "looks probable."  Arm-mounted gun  awesome, for real  Lights all over your armor so you're a well-illuminated target.  Ohhhhh, I see.  Stilly bits that pop-up and move for no apparent reason..  why so serious?

On the FF, yeah I realize there's issues but as I said without it my interest always goes down.  Particularly in squad or team-based games because it just leads to more morons running in front and bunny hoppying all over like twits.  Then again my favorite multi-player shooter is still America's Army for it's one-hit kills, FF and severe penalties to jump & gun. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 08:43:31 AM

assless power armor

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 12:23:58 PM

Why exactly? Assuming they follow through with not letting the items ruin the skill based part of the game, I don't see an issue.

Considering their only income is going to be through the microtrans, I'm a little worried that they won't be willing or maybe even able to stick to that goal.

And partly, I do like to play dressup in RPGs. Often they save the really neat looking shit for paid points, and I'm an onery old coot who doesn't like fiddling with points and crap. Especially when I want one or two specific items, and it takes a lump sum to get the one purple bowtie or whateverthefuck I've got my eye one.

DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 02:31:13 PM

All hail the glory of impractical power armor!

I agree though, F2P does make me antsy.  I'd rather have a small sub fee, that gets everything as long as you're subscribed with a small points stipend, and the option to play it F2P.  We'll see if their content/gameplay could support that though, they may not have enough to do to legitimately support that sort of business model.

I think in my head this game is like planetside with PvE, because that's what I want.  I don't think that's going to happen though.
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 02:52:15 PM

This is not an MMO, right?
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 02:53:31 PM

Your sig is too big, fix it.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 04:23:57 PM

This is not an MMO, right?

It was originally intended to be. After Red 5 was bought out by a Chinese investor (The9, the guys Blizzard fired for mismanaging WoW China), it appears to have morphed into some smaller breed on online multiplayer game.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 06:19:13 PM

The combat reminds me a lot of borderlands, as does the cell shaded art style. The idea of having a dynamic battlefield with objectives and an active enemy was probably the best part of Tabula Rasa but it wasn't integrated all that well. Having a small town rather than TR's fortified bases does make that a bit more free flowing... though in TR you could lose bases. The backpack could do with being toned down to something global agenda size but at least the armor has personality.

That said, I expect they'll run US servers and it will be ping dependant and thus unplayable for Australian gamers. Like APB ... except I might actually care if the game is good.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 06:20:39 PM

I really like the graphics for the effects.

On the other hand the aiming seems weird. When you aren't zoomed in using sights it's really hard to see what the player is aiming at.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5  
Jump to: