Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefall - Red 5  (Read 94038 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:51 PM

Wow, cell-shaded TR.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 09:50:49 AM

Nah.  TR wasn't a shooter.

AKA Gyoza
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:46 AM

It was if you used the shotgun awesome, for real
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:10 PM

Nah.  TR wasn't a shooter.

Depends on which patch you played with.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 01:38:29 PM

I'm down for some of that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:04 AM

Firefall Gameplay Trailer - DigiChina

New game play trailer, some reused footage, but it does have some environment and game play shots.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 07:04:27 AM

That does look like some good fun, though the lack of a reticule makes me sad. Also, StarCraft logo.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 07:25:43 AM

That does look like some good fun, though the lack of a reticule makes me sad. Also, StarCraft logo.

I see a reticule. Granted, hard to track as an observer and with so much going on. Looks like its different per gun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 07:31:21 AM

That game looks fun as hell.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 11:16:28 AM

I'm holding out for Tribes Universe myself.  This could get played a bit though if its half way decent.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:42 PM

That game looks fun as hell.

Yeah it does. It seems too perfect though, something has to go terribly wrong.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 02:13:06 PM

That video does look shit hot. This is an actual shooter with PVP? None of that TR sort of shooter bullets can bend shit?

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:01 PM

With PVP?

Quote from: FAQ
Firefall is a team-based action shooter combining deep character progression with an open-world cooperative campaign that can be shared with hundreds of other players. Firefall will also have a rich competitive multiplayer component incorporating built-in features such as clan support, ladders, tournaments and stats.

Are there any additional details regarding the competitive multiplayer?

For now, we are only discussing the open-world co-op experience. You can expect to see a lot more about the muliplayer experience at a later date.

So, with tournaments. "Built-in" but maybe more like bolted-on.

- FAQ
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 12:21:06 PM

Firefall: PAX East Overview

Firefall is an odd beast.  An odd, but so far exciting and fun beast.  It’s part TF2, and part MMO.  Like Global Agenda before it, Firefall seems to be pushing the envelope in a lot of ways that should make fans of both online games and shooters very excited.  At this year’s PAX East, I had the chance to meet up with Scott Youngblood of Red 5 Studios and dive headfirst into one of the game’s many competitive PvP maps.  For those not familiar with the title since its debut at last year’s PAX Prime, Firefall is aiming to blur the line between MMO and FPS (or TPS really) and it plans on doing so completely free of charge with both fully-featured PvE and PvP modes.  That’s right: Firefall is going to be free to both download and play.  Read on to see how I fared in the death-match combat and what Scott Youngblood had to say about Firefall.
 advertisement

As our own Garrett Fuller hopped onto the machine and began to fire his way through one of the ongoing PvP matches that were running at the show, I had a chance to speak to Scott Youngblood about what I was watching.  The booth was set up to have multiple 5v5 games running, and Garrett had just hopped in on the Blue Team playing as an Assault character (aptly named AngryPigeon) in one of the game’s many team-based PvP maps.  Scott told me that there was definitely plenty of PvE content in the game where you can group up with your Army (guild/clan) mates, do missions, gather loot and resources, and advance your character and gear as well as that of your Army.  And then from there you’ll take all that you’ve earned into the PvP areas of the game and put them to use for all to see and (hopefully) fear your Army.

The game will sport a familiar match-making system that allows players to queue as an individual or an Army into one of many different modes.  What was being shown at PAX was a good ol’ fashioned team death-match where the sole purpose is to kill the other guys as much as possible.  Scott was quick to point out that each Army will be able to design their own logos, pick their own colors, and so forth.  During the show, the game’s built-in spectator camera was up and running demonstrating a feature that many shooter fans have come to love in an e-sport sort of way.  I asked Scott if the team was targeting the e-sport side of things and he nodded and said they most definitely were hoping as much.  Basically the team’s split the game into two halves.  There’s plenty to do for those who want a co-op experience, and then there’s the whole competitive team-based and Army-based side, and no matter what you do you’ll be progressing your character and helping your Army.

I asked Scott if this meant that Firefall was going to have two different sets of gear for players to chase after, noting that it’s often contentious that players have to straddle two different games in essence.  He quickly said that this won’t be a problem in Firefall.  Everything you do in either part of the game will help you perform better in either the PvE side or the PvP.  That said, Scott did say that players will want to obtain multiple types of gear, as the weapons and upgrades in Firefall aren’t about stats, but about functionality.  It’s a skill-based game, with no dice rolls performing the hits and misses.  It’s a shooter and action game, but one that includes character progression through the different types of functions your character can perform.  Some such items drop in the open world, some will be crafted, and even more are from completing missions.  Again, items in Firefall aren’t about boosting stats, but rather about boosting the types of things your character and Army is capable of doing in battle.  Scott went on to tell me that Firefall is a lot like the kind of game he always wanted to make when he was Lead Designer on Tribes 1 and 2, but was never able to because of tech and resources.

The game has three announced frameworks (classes) to choose from, with more to come: the assault, the medic, and the recon.  I took my turn behind the controls, and was quickly hit with the opposing Recon’s “Resonating Shot”.  Resonating Shot is one of the Recon class’ modifications (skills).  Basically it’s a bullet that sticks to the player, can be stacked with multiple hits, and after a short few seconds of beeping blows up with a satisfying effect.  I was lucky enough to only have one shot on me, so I didn’t die from the hit, but one can easily see how a good sharpshooting Recon would be a team’s worst nightmare.  

But I got back on my feet after a few seconds, spawning in our team’s safe house and charged back into the fray.  As my team’s main damage dealing heavy, I quickly learned that the modification known as “Crater” is a force to be reckoned with.  I charged into a group of unsuspecting opposing players and pressed the corresponding key only to watch my character launch himself high into the air and come back down with a resounding force that killed one player and sent the other two sprawling.  They’d been hunkered down behind some terrain and this little action gave my more fragile teammates time to come in and finish off the stragglers.

The game’s UI is fairly straightforward; your health is displayed along the bottom of the screen, along with your equipped modifications.  Right now it seems like players will be able to have three mods at any one time, so obviously picking and choosing those which work best in situations will be of the utmost importance.  I had another that acted as a buff to my damage and another that launched me in the direction I was aiming at a high velocity.  If I connected with the latter, I could send the enemy flailing and do some fantastic damage to boot.  Like Tribes and Global Agenda, players all have jetpacks and can satisfyingly hover and cover large distances by jumping with the spacebar and holding it to glide until the pack’s out of power.  It recharges quickly, but the short time you have is obviously intended to make sure the game doesn’t all take place in the air.

I asked Scott if he was worried about the amount of importance placed on skill, since they were hoping to attract a wide audience with the game.  Would casual gamers be too afraid to step into the competitive nature, and so on?  He said their goal is to make sure that each Framework gives something for players to feel competent in doing.  He noted Team Fortress 2 as a game that allowed casual shooter fans in on the fun, by not making it so that everyone needed to of high twitch capability.  He noted that he was very optimistic that Firefall’s blend of co-op and PvP would go a long way towards attracting many kinds of shooter and MMO fans.

I then asked the loaded question: when’s it coming out and what’s the revenue model going to be like?  Expecting a dodge instead of a full-frontal assault, my eyes popped open when Scott said Firefall will be releasing in Q4 of 2011 and it will be completely free to download and play for as long as you like.  Obviously learning from some of the hurdles of other MMOFPS, Red 5 Studios wants their flagship title to send a message of value to players.  The main revenue for the game will be coming from cosmetic and convenience purchases, like war-paint, and different boosts or upgrades but nothing that players won’t already be able to get from just playing the game.  In short, the purchasable items will simply be a way for those with less time or less drive to keep up with their Army.  I asked if there were any plans to charge for additional content like maps and so forth, and Scott told me that their goal is to never segment the game’s population in terms of content.  If they start to make some new maps or content exclusive to paying players, then it’s only going to split the population.  Take that for what it’s worth, but it sounds like Red 5 is committed to adding content post-launch without picking the wallets of its players.

In the end, I left impressed by the studio’s vision and addicted to the action of the game.  I’m still not 100% sure how Firefall’s PvE and PvP will blend, as I’ve not yet experienced the co-op side of things for myself.  But if what Mr. Youngblood says rings true, Firefall is bound to be one of online gaming’s more ambitious F2P experiments.  I barely had time with the title, but I can tell there’s focus on polish and playability.  It plays remarkably smooth and really looks fantastic at this early stage.  But I’m curious to see how the MMO side of things plays out, and how the whole PvE experience factors in.  It’s a very fun game, but there’s still a lot left to explore.  Still, with beta nearing it won’t be long before we know more about Red 5 Studios’ freshman release.

Linky.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:58 PM

I just signed up for beta.

I liked GA, but there wasn't enough PvE for me. (I know GA isn't supposed to be a PvE game...)

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 12:34:03 PM

I liked GA, but there wasn't enough PvE for me. (I know GA isn't supposed to be a PvE game...)

Its both, but thats nether here nor there.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:16 AM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 06:09:06 AM

That was the main lesson of GA I think. If you want a persistent shooter there still needs to be a "surrounding" for when you are short of time, just want to blow off some steam, practice or are waiting for a scheduled match. And some PvE content can supply that and keep people online so that you get communities forming.

I do look forward to how this one plays out. I love the idea of a MMOFPS (even Tabula Rasa had its moments of fun because shooting things in the face is fun).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 10:01:36 AM

I never even picked up GA because I heard they have 16 player tops per match (or is it 32 now?)- I not gonna play MP shooter nowdays with less than 32 players.Period. And if its in MP shooter category it has to compete with TF2 ,CS and BF2. 

So its either mp shooter either massive multiplayer one (256 players+). GA was neither
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:50 AM

The game looks great.  Love the jet/flight packs and vehicales.  I read "medic" and "sniper" and despair.

Philosophically, I'm willing to admit that there is a non-zero possibility that a game dev might release a medic class that isn't required and/or is fun to play.  I'll also admit that, in theory, it's possible that a game dev might release a sniper class that wasn't either stupidly overpowered or completely useless.

I'm just not willing to spend time and/or money to find out.  Bummer.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:31 AM

The game looks great.  Love the jet/flight packs and vehicales.  I read "medic" and "sniper" and despair.

Philosophically, I'm willing to admit that there is a non-zero possibility that a game dev might release a medic class that isn't required and/or is fun to play.  I'll also admit that, in theory, it's possible that a game dev might release a sniper class that wasn't either stupidly overpowered or completely useless.

I'm just not willing to spend time and/or money to find out.  Bummer.

Hmm did you play TF2? If so why medic/sniper there do not qualify?
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 05:34:00 PM

Didn't play TF2
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 05:49:08 PM

Didn't play TF2

If you like FPS at all you should. It an example of a brilliant design in so many aspects that  it should be thought in schools.   - It manages to balance wide variety of interesting classes within a framework of FPS shooter. Being accessible to people of wide range of skill levels without sacrificing skill element itself. Really MMO designers could learn quite a bit about class design from TF2 imho.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 06:26:01 PM

I never did get a chance to demo this at PAX, but it looked interesting enough. Visually reminded me of Halo in TF2's engine. I'm really curious to see if they can stick with their "cosmetics and convenience purchases" business model though. That could work with enough marketing getting this into enough hands to monetize the 3-5% that'll pay for it. But they'll be up against the usual Q4 big budgets and those that "accidentally" slip into Q1 as a result :)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:43 PM

I saw the medic/heavy combo going strong in the latest PvP video. Saw this posted on the official site too:

Next Friday, May 6th at 6pm PDT we will be doing the first ever live broadcast of Firefall to the world on Justin.tv. We’ve invited a group of e-Sports broadcasters to the studio to not only provide their insights into the game and help us tune the competitive side of Firefall, but they will also be broadcasting an internal dev match live. Be sure to join us at http://justin.tv/r5studios

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:48 AM

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:09:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:19 PM

There will be no gays in the Firefall universe as a result, I suspect.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 03, 2011, 05:38:58 AM

Haha, excellent! Overrated writer who happens to be a religious zealot and psychopath!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 12:32:15 AM

And his daughter!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 07:39:13 AM

I am confused. Does this mean we should play the game but ignore the content, or not play the game at all?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 04, 2011, 08:05:15 AM

Haha, excellent! Overrated writer who happens to be a religious zealot and psychopath!

And who wrote the insults in Secret of Monkey Island.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 09:27:30 AM

Screw you, I thought Ender's Game was great!

Will be keeping my eye on this game...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 09:32:03 AM

Read the Ender's Shadow series and get back to me.  Or hell, just anything non-Ender related.  I hope you love your Mormon mythos, because here it comes!

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 30, 2011, 08:48:38 AM

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 30, 2011, 10:24:43 AM

Wayabvbpar can have pink armor....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5  
Jump to: