Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to?  (Read 108755 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: September 03, 2010, 10:06:17 AM

It may be okay since a lot of people give up on the PvP if they're always out-numbered.  I started giving up on it for the reverse, even.  Some servers may devolve into 10 on 10 matches though.  We'll have to see.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:44 AM

Reading your talk about captures and all of this stuff makes it sound so exciting to play WoW, but man everytime I have tried I couldn't stand the game and I don't know why.  I couldn't even enjoy the newbie stuff and that usually is the 2nd to best stuff.

Is raiding still an important thing in WoW?  Because I don't mind a limited amount, but raiding can get too time consuming at times.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:21 AM

Reading your talk about captures and all of this stuff makes it sound so exciting to play WoW, but man everytime I have tried I couldn't stand the game and I don't know why.  I couldn't even enjoy the newbie stuff and that usually is the 2nd to best stuff.

Is raiding still an important thing in WoW?  Because I don't mind a limited amount, but raiding can get too time consuming at times.
Nah. It never was really important in the sense that it was in some games. I did Molten Core mostly just for getting a feel to raiding, and since then Blizzard has worked to make it easier to raid.

With changing stuff to badge-drops, if you just do a daily random dungeon at cap -- then random heroics as soon as you can -- you can gear up easily and quickly, as groups form pretty fast although you have the usual PuG problems if you get a crap tank or whatnot.

I've not really raided, just haven't had the urge to. I still haven't seen Halls of Reflection yet, and that's the end-dungeon prior to the Icecrown raids, if I understand right. (I can do it -- I'm keyed, which meant I simply did Pit of Sauron dungeon). I just haven't pulled it as a random heroic.

As for not liking hte game - if you run through the Dranaei or the Blood Elf starting zones, and don't like the game...you won't like the game. Those are pretty damn well done (the original races, no so much) so it's a pretty good idea of what the game is like.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #353 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:37 AM

I'm sort of dreading Cataclysm PVP-wise. I forsee a lot of...

[2. Trade] [leeroylol]: LF2M for rated WSG, need healers, 8k gearscore or GTFO!

Followed by...

"You cannot join the Battle of Tol Barad at this time, because Alliance is overpopulated on this server. You could go BG, but since Unrated are worthless now and Rated only give points for winning, Alliance is shit out of luck. FACTION TRANSFER ASSHOLE, DO IT! GIVE US OUR $25 ALREADY!"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 03, 2010, 11:39:24 AM

... ...

As for not liking hte game - if you run through the Dranaei or the Blood Elf starting zones, and don't like the game...you won't like the game. Those are pretty damn well done (the original races, no so much) so it's a pretty good idea of what the game is like.

I may give it a shot then after I've messed around with Darkfall and finished my hours on APB.  I have done the starting area for Orc and Undead.  Neither really did much for me.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: September 03, 2010, 11:53:21 AM

I may give it a shot then after I've messed around with Darkfall and finished my hours on APB.  I have done the starting area for Orc and Undead.  Neither really did much for me.
They've made some changes. The Dranaei and Blood Elf areas are more representative of what Outland and Northend are like. However, you should probably just wait until Cataclysm hits, since part of that is nuking the old starting areas and bringing the old world up to speed.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: September 03, 2010, 12:59:13 PM

1. The Orc / Tauren / Troll zones are so fucking ridiculously huge they're subdividing them in the next expansion.
2. The Undead zones tend to be extremely tightly packed with mobs and tend to over-aggro and overwhelm lowbies.  This also should be getting fixed.
3. 60% speed increase mounts are now purchasable at level 20 for a pittance.
4. Queue anywhere for battlegrounds/dungeons.  Free teleport to the instance when the group is full.  Free teleport back to where you left off when it's done.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:49 PM

They're doing better, but I'll be honest and say the only two reasons I stuck around for as long as I did are because there are people whom I enjoyed the chance to chat and play with and Draenei.

There's still areas where they need improvement, and there are others which are conscious design decisions which are complete turn-offs.  It's okay if WoW isn't your cup of tea.

WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:18 PM

They might've been making it easier to raid but they certainly didn't make the raids much easier. As for raiding not reallly being important... I don't really get why you say that. It's kinda the point of reaching the llevel cap, unless you just want to go for non-dungeon achievements (not my thing).
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #359 on: September 03, 2010, 06:34:36 PM

Nah, it's not THE POINT of reaching the level cap nearly as much as it used to be, in vanilla there was fuck all to do aside from raid and wait in six hour battleground queues (and lo, it is the only time period I've actually cancelled my account). At the same time, they've made it so much more accessable, a lot more people do it these days than they used to.

God Save the Horn Players
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #360 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:47 PM

To an extent the point is what you make of it. I've just come back to the game after near 2 years away and I'm quite content gearing myself up with random heroic dungeons, and northrend quests that I han't done. I'm also spending some of the badges from the forementioned dungeons to buy heirloom gear for my alts, since I figure that stuff is always going to potentially be useful.

I've got no intention of raiding.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: September 04, 2010, 07:48:38 AM

They also don't track movement at all, so its best to shoot things that are stationary, or shoot in the direction of where the target SHOULD be once the rpg lands.

The only things I can realistically hit are vehicles.  Those they do seem to track.
WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:06 AM

He did say it was never really important, not just now. Of course there are other things to do, but I honestly hate questing when I can do something else, and at some point you have all the heirlooms and leveling alts gets old for me (that depends on the degree of altitis though). Raiding is the fun of being max level for me, and whatever the point of being 80 is to other people, the object of the game is to defeat the Lich King before he destroys the world!  awesome, for real Even if he's already been defeated a billion times.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:00 AM

People are different.  In the year and half I played the last time I upped, I did one wing of Naxx and one VoA for my raids.  Raiding simply held no interest for me.

WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:32 PM

Of course. Raiding isn't for everyone, for a number of reasons. I was just saying it's the ultimate object of the game to slay the big bad guy of whatever expansion is current.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: September 04, 2010, 12:24:57 PM

The only reason I raid is because I like the group of people I raid with.  PUG raids make me stabby and I'd likely have many more 80's than the current 9ish if I didn't raid at all.  Although I'd probably play less if I didn't have a good guild on either side to play with too ;-)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #366 on: September 04, 2010, 05:09:40 PM

He did say it was never really important, not just now. Of course there are other things to do, but I honestly hate questing when I can do something else, and at some point you have all the heirlooms and leveling alts gets old for me (that depends on the degree of altitis though). Raiding is the fun of being max level for me, and whatever the point of being 80 is to other people, the object of the game is to defeat the Lich King before he destroys the world!  awesome, for real Even if he's already been defeated a billion times.

One could just as easily say at some point you have all the upgrades from Icecrown you want, and doing the same fights over and over and over and over gets really old. In fact, it DOES get old.

My point was simply Back in the Day, you could raid, or you could ... hope to PvP but rarely get to do so because the queues were so terrible and even when you got in you would get completely outclassed by some raiding asshat who had access to vastly superior equipment than you. Now you can completely ignore raiding and still have multiple things to do, which means raiding as "the point" has lessened a great deal. The storyline aside, although seriously almost no one is raiding because the story says so, otherwise they'd go kill the Lich King once and move on with their lives.

God Save the Horn Players
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #367 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:30 PM

Of course. Raiding isn't for everyone, for a number of reasons. I was just saying it's the ultimate object of the game to slay the big bad guy of whatever expansion is current.

Kind of-sort of. It was originally, when WOW was EQ 2.1. They've since realised that the larger proportion of their payerbase are not EQ1-style raiding catasses, and so there have been a lot of alternative objectives and attempts to give alternative objectives to the game. Most people won't ever slay the bigbad of each expansion, so they need to (and have) designed other objectives for those people.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: September 05, 2010, 10:48:15 AM

There's a lot to do at 80 without raiding.  If you like to raid, you can raid with a guild or pug raid.  If you don't (I don't), you can do battlegrounds, quest anywhere you haven't already (it's darned easy to hit 80 without even seeing some Northrend zones), do heroics, gather or tradeskill, daily quests, make an alt, play Wintergrasp every 2 hours, go for reputation (Argent Tournament), and I'm sure things I haven't thought of.  There's a lot more in the game now than ever before for non-raiders.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #369 on: September 05, 2010, 11:13:13 AM

Kind of-sort of. It was originally, when WOW was EQ 2.1. They've since realised that the larger proportion of their payerbase are not EQ1-style raiding catasses, and so there have been a lot of alternative objectives and attempts to give alternative objectives to the game. Most people won't ever slay the bigbad of each expansion, so they need to (and have) designed other objectives for those people.

It's become a larger segment of the population with each expansion, though.  Part of the credit for that has been their willingness to open that part of the game up to the non-catass types.  Realizing that the first raids in BC were too hard, for instance, means everyone who wanted to has seen Naxx and probably Ulduar and most of ToC by this point.  Ditto at least up through the beginnings of ICC.  PUG raids may be fail for getting geared, but they're great for just seeing the content and experiencing it.   

I expect we'll see even more folks in the Cata raids, since there won't be the "Oh you do 10 mans, here's your crap loot table" divide anymore.  Yeah, 25s will gear you significantly faster with their "3x the loot" carrot but you run into far more personality and scheduling conflicts with them.  10s have always been easier to throw together (in my experience) and will give the same loot, now making them much, much more attractive.  Not to mention, who cares how fast you gear-up. If you finish out the instance in 3 weeks and then do nothing but farm that just means 4-5 months waiting on the next one.   Pretty boring, IMO.

Anecdotal, but I know, but having helped run a 40 man, then a 25 man guild I know it's a PITA to find those #'s consistently across all time zones. Not to mention the problem of 8pm is a decent time to start and get things done for your EST/ CST players but means that your PST have to be people whose jobs get them home at 5pm.   Start it at 9 or 10 EST and you run into the midnight wall for the EST/ CST players who have to get up 5-6 hours from then. Smaller raids means a smaller pool and more convenient times for everyone, opening things up even more.  Hell, I know enough players to fill a 10 man in one or two time zones on my own, with no recruiting and no chances of pulling in a drama player. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #370 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:36 PM

Watched three Horde run around the roof of one of the Wintergrasp keep vehicle shops just now, while one or two keep guns and three or four catapults blazed away at them until everyone realized they were never going to die and ran off to be more useful elsewhere.

Vehicles are worthless for attacking players. Worthless.

Edit: With the added benefit of not being able to tell you apart from an enemy vehicle on my map. That isn't a big wave of sieges coming at us, it's three of our assholes in sieges clumsily trying to chase one Horde catapult. Whoops, wish I hadn't run all the way over here. And called out incoming in chat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:31:56 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31:49 PM

They really need to add an ability with a 4 minute cooldown to the vehicles of Wintergrasp (say only the Demolishers if it would be an issue of griefing with it) that causes a Bigass knockback (maybe equal to Shaman Thunderstorm) that can be targeted and dropped at range.  Want to be a fucking asshat warlock with 20 stacks of tenacity dotting people to death on the roof of a building where absolutely no one can get to you? enjoy getting blasted off relatively soon.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: September 06, 2010, 08:07:03 AM

Log onto Wintergrasp, and some fucker is running a macro that insta-kicks everyone out of the Raid, then spams the battleground with "if you're not in a raid, it's because you suck".

Apparently he's fucking notorious for doing this -- and other shit -- on our server. What I want to know is how the fuck can he have managed to pull raid leader enough to get a reputation for this?

It's amazing how fucked-up the situation got.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #373 on: September 06, 2010, 09:32:29 AM

I thought they changed WG so that you were insta-raided and couldn't be booted, like other BGs.  It's just an insta-raid? That's fucked.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: September 06, 2010, 11:36:00 AM

Raid lead isn't given out randomly, it goes to whoever clicks "Join Battle" first.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: September 30, 2010, 06:45:30 PM

Sigh, I'm jonesing to play a MMO hard and I keep thinking of playing WoW again (last time I played it was release for about 5 months)

I know I should probably wait for the new x-pac before I even try to play again because I'd just make a new character on a new realm.

This game isn't that fun anymore, right? ....right?  undecided
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #376 on: September 30, 2010, 07:01:46 PM

Currently, no it's not fun. After the expansion when all the people come back though...

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: September 30, 2010, 07:05:45 PM

Depends even then.  I'd let things shake out for a few months since balance is still suspect and they're introducing a world of changes.  At that point there should at least be enough feedback to know if it'll be your thing or not.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #378 on: September 30, 2010, 07:07:16 PM

Depends where you're at. I've just come back after 2 years off and I'm having a great time, but that's because I already had max level characters and I can jump into stuff. If you're like Paelos and have played pretty much nonstop for that period, he's in a "seen it all, done it all" phase, so it's boring.

If you're wanting to start a fresh character, I say jump in. Blood Elves and Dranei have pretty good and fun starting zones, and the levelling experience is also faster than before. Get someone to use a scroll of resurrection promo on you though so you can try it all out - you'll get 10? days free. I''m happy to do it if you like, just PM me.

edit - most of the gripes are about the game at max leve;. Not going to be an issue for someone starting fresh at L1.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:15 PM

I'm with Azazel; if you're looking to just start a new character, go ahead. You'll get to experience the world and all the events leading up to the Cataclysm, then see the aftermath when the expansion actually hits.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #380 on: September 30, 2010, 10:35:53 PM

If you can find some friends to play with too it'll be a lot more fun. I'm sure someone from here would welcome you onto their server (although they all sound slightly insane)  why so serious?

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:00 AM

There's a bunch of people who post here who have Alliance characters on Doomhammer.  They seem to listen to my great ideas for making fights awesome though, which is usually a bad idea and should not be done.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to?  
Jump to: