Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:39:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to?  (Read 109745 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

on: July 19, 2010, 11:58:18 AM

First off, I only played Vanilla. I stopped well before TBC. I was on my 3rd Guild (I left one because of poor leadership, another fell apart, and then the 3rd one also fell apart.)

I was max level (for the time) Paladin in mostly Molten Core gear.

So, I missed out on Burning Crusade and Lich King. Is the game worth going back to? Especially if I've lost interest in raiding in general? And have no guild to go back to?

Edit: I was in Asa Tru on Icecrown, I left it because it was poorly run at the time though I am pleased to see that it still exists, while the 2 raiding guilds I went to self destructed.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:59:56 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:00 PM

Sure. Between daily quests, flying mounts, dual spec, random dungeon finder, endless class revamps, blah blah and so forth, it's basically a whole new game compared to what you played. Go for it.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:54 PM

If you're on the fence and not interested in raiding, I'd say wait until Cataclysm when they revamp the game from the ground up. You'll probably have a much better time then than now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:04:02 PM

Yeah, the main question is should you wait for Cataclysm to come out or not. It depends how much you think you'd hate going 1-60 in the content you already saw before, although it goes pretty fast now, and you can make 1-20 different at least by playing a draenei or blood elf.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:04:41 PM

If you're on the fence and not interested in raiding, I'd say wait until Cataclysm when they revamp the game from the ground up. You'll probably have a much better time then than now.

It takes a long time to get to 85.  It might be worth starting a new toon and leveling it up to see what's changed.  By the time you're 80 Cataclysm will be out. 
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:54 PM

I might have to totally redo a character. I went to look at my account and it seems unaccessible unless I have a battlenet password but it says a battlenet account doesn't exist for my email address which is B.S. because I played geeze....months and months of Diablo 2 a few years ago and I had this same email account back then.

Part of why I was wondering is my wife was complaining the other night she never got to try WOW because by the time she met me I was done with it and she doesn't want to play alone.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:08:37 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:10:02 PM

Diablo 2 B.net account != new WoW/SC2 B.net account, you've gotta make a new one.

That aside, if the two of you are going to play together I'd say go for it, and make sure to RAF. You'll get through the old content you've done already faster, and can get to the new shiny (BC and WotLK) faster.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:21:24 PM

If you're starting from scratch I'd say wait for Cataclysm, because they are going to rehaul the entire levelling experience for you. Win-win.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:22:42 PM

On the other hand, if you're introducing your wife to it as well, she might have somewhat more appreciation for Cataclysm when it hits for having seen what it was like before. Choices!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:52:29 PM

If you're starting from scratch I'd say wait for Cataclysm, because they are going to rehaul the entire levelling experience for you. Win-win.

Yeah, I'd definitely wait for Cataclysm if you're starting fresh.  If you want to check out the new stuff though, your Paladin can jump right into Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King stuff.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:58:50 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely wait for Cataclysm if you're starting fresh.  If you want to check out the new stuff though, your Paladin can jump right into Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King stuff.

He's...hmmm..level 60 or 65. Whatever the max was back in the day. Of course, if I want to play with the wife playing a level 60ish character with her might not be a good idea anyway. :)

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:29:11 PM

If my wife was actually suggesting playing together, I'd jump in with both feet now!  YMMV

Even if you both get chars to 80 and have to still wait for Cata to come out, you can do it again with new races in a differrent class to get the new newbie experience.  Like said before, you can then compare the two experiences first hand.  The newbie differences in Cata will not be near as impactful to somebody starting completely new after it launches.

Even while waiting, there is plenty of opportunity to do instances together at anytime and quickly.  If you do raid, the systems are much easier now than vanilla.  Not sure if you like PvP, but that's very easy to jump in and out of anytime you feel like it too.

If you create a tank/healer combo of some kind, you'll have no issues at all.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:35 PM

Tank/healer combo is hysterical.   All those kill 15 boars quests?  Two pulls.   The only real limiting factor is how dense the monsters are.   Tired of quests?  You can instant queue dungeons whenever you want and get plenty of training in dealing with moronic dps.   Feel like being saucy?  Kill Durn by yourselves at level 66, just because YOU CAN.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:26:24 PM

The current game is vastly improved from what you did in Vanilla, but the Cata expansion will make the current game seem old and busted.

The only reason to level someone new up right now, would be a sight seeing tour before Cata blows it all up.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 03:49:30 PM

Level, shmevel.  Create the new b.net account then merge it with your old wow account.. if it hasn't been hacked by now.

Then make a DK.  Choose which of you is the tank and which is the healer. Transfer the pally to the healer's new WoW account and go merrily along having skipped the whole vanilla thing with your Plate/Plate Tank/ Healer duo or Dual DPS badasses.    60-80 in BC and LK is all you really need to do to get a feel for the game and the experience is much better than the old vanilla zones with their useless quest rewards for classes that are 5 years out of date. (And weren't of much use when they WERE up-to-date.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:41 PM

Level, shmevel.  Create the new b.net account then merge it with your old wow account.. if it hasn't been hacked by now.

Then make a DK.  Choose which of you is the tank and which is the healer. Transfer the pally to the healer's new WoW account and go merrily along having skipped the whole vanilla thing with your Plate/Plate Tank/ Healer duo or Dual DPS badasses.    60-80 in BC and LK is all you really need to do to get a feel for the game and the experience is much better than the old vanilla zones with their useless quest rewards for classes that are 5 years out of date. (And weren't of much use when they WERE up-to-date.)

This idea is genius.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 05:14:55 PM

Ask your wife if she will care about seeing the world pre-explosion or not. If she will, start now and start from scratch. I wouldn't even RAF unless you wanted the two seater rocket thing, if you don't want to raid there's no reason to sprint to level 80. There IS stuff to do for non-raiding 80's, but for someone BRAND NEW to the game like your wife, there is ALSO plenty to see/enjoy before then, so why rush?

Anyway, if she DOESN'T care, Merusk's idea is a pretty good one, or just wait for Cataclysm to come out. If you go the Merusk route, you might want your wife to be the DK, simply because it is designed to be jumped into at 55, your paladin isn't ... and your paladin might be a bit overwhelming for someone new to the game. :P

God Save the Horn Players
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 05:14:04 AM

Tank/healer combo is hysterical.   All those kill 15 boars quests?  Two pulls.   The only real limiting factor is how dense the monsters are.   Tired of quests?  You can instant queue dungeons whenever you want and get plenty of training in dealing with moronic dps.   Feel like being saucy?  Kill Durn by yourselves at level 66, just because YOU CAN.

Which one is Durn?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:58:53 AM

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:13 AM

With the changes I would say cata release would be a great time to give it a try. They are revamping talents so playing a new character and leveling up in the revamped old world should be a lot more amusing. Also with every expansion there is pretty much a gear reset and you would see tons of brand new worgen/goblins out there so there will be lots of folks across level ranges to group with.

If you have the itch the new expansion would be a good time to jump back in.

Oh forgot to note one thing you won't need to buy cata for 90% of the new 1-60 stuff that is being updated to everybody so you can see a lot of the new stuff when that gets pumped out without having to pay anything extra for a new expansion.

First off, I only played Vanilla. I stopped well before TBC. I was on my 3rd Guild (I left one because of poor leadership, another fell apart, and then the 3rd one also fell apart.)

I was max level (for the time) Paladin in mostly Molten Core gear.

So, I missed out on Burning Crusade and Lich King. Is the game worth going back to? Especially if I've lost interest in raiding in general? And have no guild to go back to?

Edit: I was in Asa Tru on Icecrown, I left it because it was poorly run at the time though I am pleased to see that it still exists, while the 2 raiding guilds I went to self destructed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:26:51 AM by kaid »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:05 AM

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 02:02:03 PM

Ok. I sprung for the game for us. Gamestop had it on sale for $30 for the battlechest and $30 for Lichking which made it roughly the price of a console game. It'll probably take something like forever to get it installed. I'm on Icecrown and apparently my old account is still there. I figure I may just use my level 60 Pally and group with my wife and keep her buffed and stuff assuming I won't screw up her XPs by doing that.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 02:05:29 PM

Ok. I sprung for the game for us. Gamestop had it on sale for $30 for the battlechest and $30 for Lichking which made it roughly the price of a console game. It'll probably take something like forever to get it installed. I'm on Icecrown and apparently my old account is still there. I figure I may just use my level 60 Pally and group with my wife and keep her buffed and stuff assuming I won't screw up her XPs by doing that.

If you havent opened her box yet, you should consider doing the refer a friend thing for your wife. It comes with a bunch of bonuses and benefits for both of you.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 02:10:59 PM

If you're going that route, you might as well RAF her and level up a new guy while you're at it.  Your pally won't be able to help much.  You could park him in town or something and buff, but pally buffs of that level are short, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.  And you will royally fuck up her XP in or out of her group if you help at all.

AKA Gyoza
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 02:12:04 PM

If you havent opened her box yet, you should consider ...

Must not go there, must not go there!!!

I'm WEAK! 

If he hasn't opened her box yet, the "refer a friend" deal is the least of his worries.

whew! I feel so much better!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:22 PM

If you havent opened her box yet, you should consider ...

Must not go there, must not go there!!!

I'm WEAK! 

If he hasn't opened her box yet, the "refer a friend" deal is the least of his worries.

whew! I feel so much better!

What are we like 12 today?

Ohhhhh, I see.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:59 PM

You asked the addicts in the WoW forum, who play WoW all the time, whether you should play WoW.

They were always going to say yes. Did you really want an answer?

NO, it's not worth going back to. It's six years old and it's the same old shit. Mess with PS3 games or something, until an exciting MMO appears.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:19 PM

It's too late, we've already lured him back into the fold. He's even brought fresh meat with him. The masters will be pleased.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 03:27:34 PM

If you havent opened her box yet, you should consider doing the refer a friend thing for your wife. It comes with a bunch of bonuses and benefits for both of you.

I did. Lol. I had today off so I sent her a RAF and will tell her she HAS to click on it before opening her box.

I logged on and realized I might as well start over. My Pally is in good shape but it has been Soooo long since I played the game I couldn't remember...well....anything. I felt like a total noob again.

If I know her, and I do, she'll make a night elf hunter. I just need to figure out what I am going to make.

Edit: And I'm sooo going to make a Death Knight just because. I'm disappointed to learn that you don't make your old char into a DK and have to make a new one from scratch. That kind of sucks.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:37 PM

It's not so much that the game has changed that's confusing you as the Pally class has had, um.. 4 different revamps since you last played.   Yeah, they've made some changes to play and interface, etc over the years but nothing you couldn't get a handle on quickly.   The only class that's changed as much as the Pally (other than quality of life changes) is probably the Druid.   They're actually enjoyable to play while leveling up now I hear.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 03:42:09 PM

If my wife makes a night elf hunter what would be a good class to go along with her? I'm thinking of just making a 2nd Pally since I have armor and healing and blessings to keep her alive.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 03:44:30 PM

Honestly I'd say another ranged dps or maybe a healer; if you played the pally as Holy that would work okay. Prot would probably work too, as you could gather tons of mobs for her to AoE down. The only thing hunters don't play well with is melee dps: by the time you get to the mob, she'll have killed it.

Bonus points if you go tank or heals: faster /lfd queues.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 03:52:03 PM

Druid.  You'll have versatility out the yin-yang (Ranged DPS, Tank/ Melee DPS or heals.. what's your taste today?) and can start in the same area without running around for an hour and a half.   Just play as a female since the male NEs look almost as bad as male BEs.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 03:54:35 PM

I second the druid thing. Don't listen to Merusk about having to play a girl NE, though. Unless you're into being a mangina, of course. Even if you don't like the way the boy NEs look, you are hardly ever looking at them as a druid.

Also the boy blood elves are  Heart so he has no taste anyway.

God Save the Horn Players
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 04:03:03 PM

Druid.  You'll have versatility out the yin-yang (Ranged DPS, Tank/ Melee DPS or heals.. what's your taste today?) and can start in the same area without running around for an hour and a half.   Just play as a female since the male NEs look almost as bad as male BEs.

Well, with the RAF we can summon each other apparently.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: So, is WOW worth going back to?  
Jump to: