Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien Swarm  (Read 46127 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #105 on: July 21, 2010, 03:23:55 AM

Thanks, downloading now!

Seems that at least one of the achievements awards a hat for TF2
So help me god if it's a facehugger...
It is!
More like scalphugger.
On the Pyro it actually is like a face hugger (except turned around). On the rest it is more like a top of head hugger.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #106 on: July 21, 2010, 03:33:42 AM

Does anyone know if its better practice to constantly push forward and fight as you move, or to try and completely kill the waves of aliens before moving forward?
Finished my first Hard campaign. Moving fast and using the flame throwers and telsa cannons seemed to be the best strategy for our group. Both weapons seem somewhat overpowered given their "AoE control" abilities.

I ran as a pure support medic (heal gun + heal beacon) for all of the missions. I find it difficult to actually heal teammates with the heal gun especially if they are moving at all. Flame thrower/tesla cannon + electric armor helps cut down on infections which made my life easier. We actually had more infections on our Normal run through (same group).
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 21, 2010, 06:05:32 AM

People are already hard at work creating engaging new levels for this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwtFuQ_gA1E
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #108 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33:39 AM

So my little group got to the "kill the eggs and biomass" level on hard last night. We had an amazing good time, but that level just shut us down. I was playing as my male medic, and infestation just destroyed us. I could basically heal one, maybe two before being totally out of juice with the heal gun.

We had a good time.

If anyone wants to play, just add me to your friends, I am in the f13 group as Morfiend.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:31 AM

So my little group got to the "kill the eggs and biomass" level on hard last night. We had an amazing good time, but that level just shut us down. I was playing as my male medic, and infestation just destroyed us. I could basically heal one, maybe two before being totally out of juice with the heal gun.

We had a good time.

If anyone wants to play, just add me to your friends, I am in the f13 group as Morfiend.

Yeah, taking the female medic on that level is key, she heals infestation better than the male medic,.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #110 on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:33 AM

To be cheezy, try 3 tesla 3 medic 1 tech w/ tesla.

There is a bug right now; If there is an alien nearby, the tesla will arc to and kill any infestor even if he's on a person.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #111 on: July 21, 2010, 11:16:31 AM

Alternatively have one person take flamethrower + flashlight and let him deal with every egg area while you stay the fuck away from them.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 11:21:24 AM

I made it a good chunk of the way through last night on hard. I hope Valve makes more maps and does some bug fixing on this. It's a great way to spend an hour.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:53 PM

To be cheezy, try 3 tesla 3 medic 1 tech w/ tesla.

There is a bug right now; If there is an alien nearby, the tesla will arc to and kill any infestor even if he's on a person.

eh, you can't do 3 of the same class  Head scratch

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:51 PM

Why are you being pedantic, clearly he means 1.5 tesla, 1.5 medic and 1 tech, which gives the maximum 4 people.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #115 on: July 21, 2010, 02:44:43 PM

I did the OFFLINE PRACTICE and uh. It seems fun! I like punching the aliens to death though, that's probably bad.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #116 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:01 PM

I did the OFFLINE PRACTICE and uh. It seems fun! I like punching the aliens to death though, that's probably bad.
No actually that's good, especially if you decide to be a medic*. On the easier difficulties I'm disappointed if I don't punch/kick 30 - 40 aliens each mission.

Edit: that's punch/kick *to death* DRILLING AND MANLINESS ... there's even an achievement for 20 melee kills

Edit 2: * to clarify one way to setup a medic is with two heal items in your "weapon" slots (2x heal beacons, 2x heal guns, or one of each) and so you have no gun to shoot aliens with.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:05:52 PM by Trippy »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 21, 2010, 03:05:19 PM

Just trying this out, seems like something I might not be terrible at once I'm used to it. An invite for ezrast to the f13 group would be nice.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #118 on: July 21, 2010, 03:07:12 PM

I'm working on getting admin rights to our f13 Steam group (<poke>schild</poke>) and then I'll invite people.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:09 PM

They really do need a "request invite" option for groups in Steam, that would be handy for private groups.

Anyways, I'm on as Segoris. I'll be sending out  friend invites to people with this game to get some games going as I'm not in the f13 group as of now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #120 on: July 21, 2010, 08:31:16 PM

Did anyone else have the game flip out on them tonight? I was in a PUG tearing through one of the tougher early missions (the one where you have to stay in the gunship's spotlights) and my connection dies. Get in another game and it's lagged to fuck and the camera just spins and spins around at the worst times. Decided that was a time to leave.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #121 on: July 21, 2010, 08:38:39 PM

Yes I've had that before with the freaked out camera and you "move" by jumping around on the screen. That's what precipitated my "netcode needs work" comment above.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 21, 2010, 08:43:54 PM

I roll my medic with a gun, but mostly because most of my teammates can't shoot or protect a medic to save their lives. So hug my beacons or die, bastards.

My usual way to deal with infectors would be a flamer or a smartgun. Or if you see the nests, put a rifle grenade in them.

Also: Freeze Grenades are hi-larious, as is the mini tesla sentry.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #123 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:15 PM

I don't have the medigun unlocked yet and I didn't want to ONLY be able to punch, so my medic had a gun/heal beacons. We failed that biomass/egg mission. I blame myself. :(

I got the "punch aliens to death" achievement though!  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #124 on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:39 PM

That mission is a problem because it's not as linear as some of the others so it's very easy for the team to get split up. Even if people stay together curing infections takes some practice since you need to be able to judge very quickly how many beacons you need to drop to keep somebody from dying from an infection. If it's just a single parasite and you, as Faith, are nearby, then only a single beacon is needed if they started at or near full health. If they have more than one, however, you'll need at least 2 beacons and you have to do it really quickly cause their health will drop like a rock. That's why pre-heal gun I would "double-fist" heal beacons on the egg levels just to be on the safe side.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:55 PM

Couple things I noticed:

No lag/fps drop, but I do bounce around a bit as described above. That got annoying but was rare enough to not be a bother.

The heal gun switches targets a little too fast when someone comes next to the person you're healing, otherwise playing a medic is a good time. I had 3 teammate deaths tonight, the first was when we found out aliens can knock you off edges/cliffs, the second was due to people being infested while split up and made it impossible to save both (argh, pugs ><), the third was at the end of the last level (I wish I was kidding here) as the last person was walking onto the ship he got killed.

I used the charged armor while I was infested and it didn't remove it, so either something was messed up and it's supposed to, or it's only supposed to be a preemptive prevention of stuns/infestation.

For the welding door shut topic from before, I finally got around to testing that out in online play and it's 5 seconds for Crash, 3 for Vegas, and about 10 for anyone else. So having a tech have their accessory as a torch is worth it, anyone else....not so much.

Also, duo'ing is good fun and makes for a nice challenge. Special weapons + tech and we were able to do the first 4 missions before time became an issue. 2 of those levels came down to one of us being less then 20% health and on our last clip of ammo when we finished.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #126 on: July 21, 2010, 10:39:57 PM

I used the charged armor while I was infested and it didn't remove it, so either something was messed up and it's supposed to, or it's only supposed to be a preemptive prevention of stuns/infestation.
I had that problem the first time i tried it too. You have to activate it with "1" and there are limited number of charges.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #127 on: July 21, 2010, 10:44:18 PM

Insane is insane ACK!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 21, 2010, 11:16:45 PM

Did anyone else have the game flip out on them tonight?

Something was definitely screwy tonight, I couldn't get anything to run for a while for some reason.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 21, 2010, 11:47:00 PM

Play Alien Swarm in first person

Seems like it could be fairly awesome.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #130 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Did anyone else have the game flip out on them tonight? I was in a PUG tearing through one of the tougher early missions (the one where you have to stay in the gunship's spotlights) and my connection dies. Get in another game and it's lagged to fuck and the camera just spins and spins around at the worst times. Decided that was a time to leave.

In console, asw_camera_shake 0 or something.

Also, read stuff here.

Shock armour takes about three ticks to knock a facehugger off you. So if you start on 10% health, lolno.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:43:58 AM by Megrim »

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:43 AM

Alternatively have one person take flamethrower + flashlight and let him deal with every egg area while you stay the fuck away from them.

I did a few missions with the flashlight last night. I expected it to be useless, but it proved very useful in a few situations where spotting infestors quickly is useful (Residential and Timor Station in particular).

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:59 AM

I had that problem the first time i tried it too. You have to activate it with "1" and there are limited number of charges.

I did activate it, didn't seem like it worked at all though. I'll try again tonight.

Shock armour takes about three ticks to knock a facehugger off you.

I'll watch for this as well when I try it out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #133 on: July 22, 2010, 07:31:59 AM

Seems like a decent enough game. I didn't care for the controls and then the game crashed on me in offline practice. It was a diverting 0.2 hours.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 22, 2010, 07:45:21 AM

Also, read stuff here.

Nice link, thanks for that. Some really useful ones imo (that aren't directly effecting gameplay):

Move the reload bar under the marine:

Change color of flares:

Bind emotes/calls for help to different keys:

Edit: Game Bug List that is pretty helpful. Some of it may have been fixed in the last patch, but otherwise there some helpful info here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:09:03 AM by Segoris »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #135 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:48 PM

Can't wait for resources to pop up on creating maps. I suck with Hammer, but I'd try again for this.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: July 22, 2010, 12:38:12 PM

Similar to this thread that contains guides for each step?

Edit - there's even a guide for working with Hammer (I haven't checked it out and don't know how detailed/good it is, I just see that it is one of the parts of that thread).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:39:46 PM by Segoris »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 22, 2010, 03:17:59 PM

I don't think I'm a fan of this shooting system. With all the stuff flying everywhere, I seem to end up killing my team mates a lot.

Perhaps I need to play with other players.

EDIT: Why does it keep making me do the same level over and over?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:22:27 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #138 on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:42 PM

Practice mode is just the first two missions combined -- you can't do the full campaign that way.
lesion

Reply #139 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:30 PM

Howevercomma you can use these console variables to run the full campaign with bots or solo online:

asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1
asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1

steam|a grue \[T]/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm  
Jump to: