Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien Swarm  (Read 46108 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 02:30:16 PM

To be honest it's not very common for a subgenre to be directly based on one movie.

Plenty of games in this subgenre (top down shooters) have been not based on Aliens. But, I mean, you may as well say the same about FPS games.

Finally manged to cnnect for download! Hope I can just migrate the files afterwards to install on other PCs!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 02:42:47 PM

My download speed has crashed through the floor, it's slower than dial-up now... I'm guessing Valve's servers are getting hammered right now, or do you think switching download location again (now that I have it started) could help?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 02:59:00 PM

My download speed has crashed through the floor, it's slower than dial-up now... I'm guessing Valve's servers are getting hammered right now, or do you think switching download location again (now that I have it started) could help?

Mine is set to Chicago and I got a good speed on it, but I did get it just about as soon as it went up.  I have that problem with downloads a lot though, I usually just grit my teeth and do something else until it finishes. 
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 03:04:09 PM

Connecting to multiplayer games is.. terrible. NAT issues per usual, but no way to filter games you try to join. One bad NAT host in the pool, and goodbye matchmaking.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:57 PM

I wonder why they didn't allow pre-loading?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 03:16:27 PM

I wonder why they didn't allow pre-loading?
Or unlock it at a time when people on the East coast aren't just now getting out of work.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 03:20:21 PM

Looks like a top down Left 4 Dead game with unlocks. I tried to download it but the servers are getting skullfucked right now. My buddy at work managed to get it downloaded and played it for a few with me looking over his shoulder. Looks interesting.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:27 PM

FWIW, I'm getting good speeds on the Detroit servers (Chicago ones are pretty hammered now as I couldn't even start the download there).

I'm going to be downloading this as soon as it goes live, look for SnuggleZhenya on the f13 steam group list I'll try to get a game up for f13 folks.

Who has the invite privledges for the F13 steam group? Posting in the community ID thread didn't get an invite and I'd like to join in the F13 games if a spot's open. Steam = Segoris.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 03:48:42 PM

Who has the invite privledges for the F13 steam group? Posting in the community ID thread didn't get an invite and I'd like to join in the F13 games if a spot's open. Steam = Segoris.

Schild does.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 03:53:13 PM

Thanks
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 04:34:32 PM

There's a lot of awesome implementations in here. From the usage of welding doors to keep more from coming behind to the way you unlock/hack items. Ammo is a rarity though. I did a game of offline practice and ran out on two characters (the first one I was a tech with a turret so no secondary weapon, the other was out of ammo on his main gun when I switched to him and only had his secondary to use). Second game was much better, I brought along an ammo deploy and knew that reloading loses any ammo you had when you reloaded saved me quite a bit as well. Overall, lots of fun to be had. It's pretty damn awesome that it's free too.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 06:23:57 PM

Fun game, played a round with Aez and some other guy.

Then I tried to restart to get my mic working.

Now I can't even log back into steam.

Sorry Aez.

Gonna call it a night, its 3am over here.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:55 PM

I'll be firing this up tonight for the TF2 hat.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 06:52:58 PM

Yep, was fun.  I'm not sure but it seems they're not scaling the difficulty.  We were fine with 3 but it was almost impossible with 2.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 07:41:32 PM

Played a random game, wasn;t great because most of the people spent the whole time running in different directions and dying. Then hooked up with Malakii and a grue and had fun sticking together and dying, although we were playing on hard, as a three.  awesome, for real

The game is definitely fun, and hectic. I think it will definitely improve as people get the hang of aiming and what different unlocks do, and also learn the levels. I'm looking forward to playing some more sophisticated loadouts, currently just running with the heavy armour seems like the best equipment, but in a practise game I know the damage amp and sentry gun were really cool. I'm also looking forward to some more tactical play. I'll be looking for some more games tomorrow I'm sure.

PS: The tech default weapon seems pretty crap, and the leader shotgun, while powerful, is an arse to aim wel; the healgun on the other hand seemed to be doing a great job in our last gamel. Also I have no clue what half the stats do, I'm sure it will come out in time.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 07:51:29 PM

You can hover over them...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 07:55:12 PM

Played some with Nix, then Morfiend, and with a Grue the whole time.  This game is quite awesome when playing with a group that is at least trying to work together (though we must've failed on that one level a good 5-6 times!).  Hard mode is thrilling but...,hard as you might expect.

I thought I would have some fun with this, but its even better than I expected, by a fairly wide margin.  Very polished, and with the dev tools included, I think we can expect more maps, which should help it stay fresh.  Definitely going to play some of this nightly for a while, hopefully with f13 folks.

See you in game.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 07:58:32 PM

I like the default tech autogun. It's just the normal autogun + a bit of autoaim. Crappy on big things, great for wasting facehuggers and whatnot small swarmers.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 08:12:20 PM

If anyone is looking for this I'm getting 1.5MB/s from Sacramento cloud servers.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:04 PM

I played a training game. Looks like it could be pretty fun, and that I will be the shittiest player on earth.

Guess I should join the f13 steam community at some point...

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:58 PM

I am supremely bad at this game.  Fun though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 08:44:04 PM

Basically, I feel like this is what Left 4 Dead should have been.  It has that survival/horror feel, and I think does a better job encouraging team work (though the reliance on team work my be bad if you don't have a good group Ohhhhh, I see.).  I think the lack of vs. mode will make the game better, I alway sthought co-op was the best part of L4D but people were so enthralled with playing zombies that it turned into a lulzy PvP game with lame crap like closet camping.  I know some of those issues were fixed in L4D2 but I think game just does co-op really well, and I am a total sucker for a fun co-op game.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:17 PM

Holy crap, this is fantastic fun, and it's free on Steam.

http://www.alienswarm.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Get it installed, grab three friends, and do some bug hunting.

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

* Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
    * Complete game code and mod tools
    * Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
    * Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
    * 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
    * Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
    * 64 achievements
    * Tile-based map generation tool