Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien Swarm  (Read 46105 times)
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 08:44:07 AM

It was a little choppy for me, but setting everything to medium made it smooth as silk and it still looks great.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:55 AM

You can spam out invites to anyone on your list when you make a game. Can't tell how well it works yet, also if you have a chat window up with someone it will leave the soso has joined alien swarm - click here to join same as TF2 does.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:49 AM

Is there any way to sort the games in the matchmaking lobby?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 09:50:11 AM

I'm on fire oh god put me out put me out

Oh god I'm infected get it off get it off

Megrim, Vaiti, Gets and I went halfway through a campaign. Matchmaking was simple and effortless, fun was had by all. This is one free game I'd probably have payed a bit of money for.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:00:03 AM by bhodi »
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:58 AM

(tries to hide the flamethrower)

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 10:06:30 AM

Thanks, downloading now!

Seems that at least one of the achievements awards a hat for TF2

So help me god if it's a facehugger...

It is!
More like scalphugger.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 10:23:49 AM

This is fun as hell.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 11:15:27 AM

Made it about 1/2 way through the campaign last night (stupid facehuggers shut us down cold).
This game is excellent.  I want pay DLC just to reward them for being awesome.

The charts at the end are easily one of the best features of the game.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:09 AM

I could drag the little time slider all day to watch the dots. Way more entertaining than it has any right to be. Make sure to checkout out the pages they have on the Steam community site. They track and display and impressive number of stats.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:06 PM

This game should not be free.  awesome, for real

Played 3 games at lunch with some random guys who didn't seem that bad. Died twice to infection both times, and put a lot of friendly fire up. Don't run through the fire, you will go up in flames. Also, don't run in front of me, I WILL shoot you. Going to take some getting used to, but once I get aim down, I think this will be way too fun. They really should take advantage of the DLC channel to make some money off of this, because it's too good a game not to.

Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 12:45:54 PM

About the only thing I don't like about the game is the auto aim on certain weapons, and the fact that if your tech(s) die; FiSSION MAILED START OVER.

It reminds me a bit of my early days of online gaming with Infantry Online.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:50:39 PM by Nightblade »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 12:56:32 PM

About the only thing I don't like about the game is the auto aim on certain weapons, and the fact that if your tech(s) die; FiSSION MAILED START OVER.

It reminds me a bit of my early days of online gaming with Infantry Online.

Eh, the tech thing doesn't bother me. It creates scenarios of "COVER HIS ASS OR FAIL!" Which, from what I experienced, are intense.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:08 PM

Ah I was wondering why some missions kept ending even though not everybody was dead.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #83 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:22 PM

Does anyone know if its better practice to constantly push forward and fight as you move, or to try and completely kill the waves of aliens before moving forward?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #84 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:13 PM

Does anyone know if its better practice to constantly push forward and fight as you move, or to try and completely kill the waves of aliens before moving forward?

Depends on the mission.  Some of them pretty much continuously spawn behind you, I think, in which case turtling up may be a losing strategy.  Of course rushing ahead faster than you can safely clear a path has risks too.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #85 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:58 PM

Netcode needs a lot of work.

Also, what's the order of maps in the campaign? Landing Bay, Cargo Elevator, ... ?
lesion

Reply #86 on: July 20, 2010, 01:36:35 PM

Landing Bay, Cargo Elevator, Deima, Rydberg, Residential, Sewer Junction, Timor Station

steam|a grue \[T]/
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:01 PM

I haven't seen a lot of people taking time to deliberately weld doors shut behind them yet, I'd like to see more of that, especially on hard difficulty.  You can really cut down the amount of enemies that you have to fight.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 20, 2010, 01:50:27 PM

I haven't seen a lot of people taking time to deliberately weld doors shut behind them yet, I'd like to see more of that, especially on hard difficulty.  You can really cut down the amount of enemies that you have to fight.

I only had time for a couple of offline practices (hoping to get in some regular games today) but I found welding doors to be fast and well worth it. It only takes 1 person to do it and the benefits of delaying enemies was worth it. Of course that may be different in coop, but I can't see it being much different.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 20, 2010, 01:53:00 PM

I also welded a door in my offline practice, was amused to see that they will eventually beat the door down (not quickly on the practice map though).
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 20, 2010, 01:54:25 PM

I only had time for a couple of offline practices (hoping to get in some regular games today) but I found welding doors to be fast and well worth it. It only takes 1 person to do it and the benefits of delaying enemies was worth it. Of course that may be different in coop, but I can't see it being much different.

I think part of the issue is that if you are playing with randoms people don't like to wait, and if you get left behind you can easily be killed if you are separated.   People are impatient, and while its worth it, it does require the group to pause for 10-15 seconds, which isn't always possible with an team of ADDs.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 20, 2010, 02:26:05 PM

Yeah, if it's 10-15 seconds then that is pretty different from offline mode which takes 3-5 seconds or so, iirc.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #92 on: July 20, 2010, 02:43:30 PM

How do you throw a grenade? Ohhhhh, I see.

This game really needs a manual...took me a while to figure out how to hack the bomb, I was looking at the lights on the right side (just ignore them).

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:16 PM

How do you throw a grenade? Ohhhhh, I see.

This game really needs a manual...took me a while to figure out how to hack the bomb, I was looking at the lights on the right side (just ignore them).

Default is middle mouse.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:56 PM

If your weapon has a grenade alt-fire, it's mouse3 to use it.  I had to figure that one out by trial and error.

Press 1 to use the thing in your alternate inventory slot or whatever that's called.  I dunno if you can put grenades in there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56:16 PM

Cool thanks I'll give it a try next game.
lesion

Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 03:04:52 PM

Yeah, if it's 10-15 seconds then that is pretty different from offline mode which takes 3-5 seconds or so, iirc.
Out of the two techs, Vegas is the fastest. Everyone else is painfully slow at welding.

steam|a grue \[T]/
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:51 PM

yeah, In my limited experience so far, I have found that changing up teammates from mission to mission can really improve your odds.  Having someone with Faith as teh medic really helps with infestors in the last  couple of missions for example.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:26 PM

Oooh the Vindicator (shotgun) grenades are fun awesome, for real
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 05:47:56 PM

The rail gun is fun

Hard seems doable even with uncoordinated rushing. I haven't tried Insane yet. Getting levelled up so people have access to some of the more interesting unlocks makes for some nice combos. Turret + Freeze Turret + Damage Amp makes for a nice camp. So far though I do think adrenaline is the most useful addon, particularly for dealing with infestors in the tunnels.

Also, joining random games at the start and doing random missions was far inferior to doing a (mostly) complete campaign with some competent people. The story is actually pretty fun, and the commentary from the dropship guy is actually quite funny at times. It offers a lot of promise for future campaigns I think.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 20, 2010, 06:20:18 PM

I've only played on Insane (which is what all the Penny-Arcade forum group people play on, which is kinda frustrating), and welding doors shut on Insane is pretty much the difference between beating a mission with a comfortable wiggle room of health and ammo and beating a mission with two marines dead, two critically injured, and one guy reduced to smashing bugs over the head with a medkit.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:23 PM

Maybe my pc is dying but I can play tons of other games fine but this one constantly stutters on me and will freeze up.  Any ideas/suggestions?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 20, 2010, 08:03:52 PM

I've only played on Insane (which is what all the Penny-Arcade forum group people play on, which is kinda frustrating), and welding doors shut on Insane is pretty much the difference between beating a mission with a comfortable wiggle room of health and ammo and beating a mission with two marines dead, two critically injured, and one guy reduced to smashing bugs over the head with a medkit.

I wound up doing a mission on insane where my medic took only medical supplies (okay, I can see that..), and the other tech took two turrets he never put down.

So basically, insane with only two armed marines involved. >< It was messy, especially since the unarmed people insisted on charging ahead and gumming up the line of fire.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #103 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:48 PM

Game is sweet. Do want to find folks to play with.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #104 on: July 20, 2010, 10:05:16 PM

I've just spammed invites out to people on my friendslist, right now EVERYONE is playing this game so I haven't had a problem finding games w/out random net dwellers.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm  
Jump to: