Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien Swarm  (Read 45723 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #140 on: July 22, 2010, 03:57:34 PM

Is there a way to change the difficulty too?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 22, 2010, 04:13:20 PM

When you set up the "create game".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #142 on: July 22, 2010, 04:14:33 PM

Sorry MrB, Steam decided I wasn't connected to the internet any more halfway through that game and wouldn't reconnect.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:04 PM

Same here.

I thought it was just me. I spawned in, and just sat there making perdy fireballs, had to open the task manager to quit :/

Hit me up for round 2, its growing on me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:18:02 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:22 PM

Feel free to toss an invite if you guys want a 3rd.

Also, I'm trying asw_fast_reload_under_marine 1 but does anyone know how to increase the size of the hud? When it is moved under the marine it is tiny.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #145 on: July 22, 2010, 07:09:35 PM

When you set up the "create game".
OIC those are switches for an online game. I thought those were hacks to practice mode.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #146 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:45 AM

Similar to this thread that contains guides for each step?

Edit - there's even a guide for working with Hammer (I haven't checked it out and don't know how detailed/good it is, I just see that it is one of the parts of that thread).

Huh, I didn't catch that when I went looking. Time to get my learn on!

As for the Hammer tutorial, if it's the same one I went through with TF2, it can be a bit overwhelming.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 23, 2010, 10:52:41 AM

Hmm, major lag issues today - really needs a ping count when you are picking a game.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #148 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:45 PM

Hmm, major lag issues today - really needs a ping count when you are picking a game.

You can start the normal server browser from the console ("openserverbrowser") to see the ping just like TF2, but that one doesn't display the difficulty of the game you are joining. So you can measure either the ping or the difficulty of a server but not both at the same time... Sounds like they hired Dr. Heisenberg as a coder.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #149 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:29 PM

Finished my first Hard campaign. Moving fast and using the flame throwers and telsa cannons seemed to be the best strategy for our group. Both weapons seem somewhat overpowered given their "AoE control" abilities.
Telsa cannon got nerfed Ohhhhh, I see.
Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 24, 2010, 06:15:54 AM

I was in one game where everything had unlimited ammo.
Cargo Elevator + Inferno Mines, seemed OK to me in theory, till you realize its unlimited inferno mines, and you can't resist dropping more and more... and more.
It proved successful.

Until our entire team was engulfed in a wave of flames when they were almost all tripped at once. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 24, 2010, 09:59:25 AM

Is there any reason at all not to run every mission with 2 medics and 2 techs?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #152 on: July 24, 2010, 10:05:53 AM

er, nm.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #153 on: July 24, 2010, 10:08:01 AM

I got into a game with 2 idiots and one guy who was already level 25 the night after the game was released. He destroyed almost every area by himself with the chainsaw. Since I was the tech me and him basically duo-ed the entire campaign while the two idiots kept killing themselves.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 24, 2010, 01:00:20 PM

Anyone doing this in First Person? Was gonna post that link and console commands, but saw someone already did a page back that I hadn't read.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:04:29 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #155 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:34 PM

FPS mode actually looks like an improvement to me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #156 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:52 PM

I got into a game with 2 idiots and one guy who was already level 25 the night after the game was released. He destroyed almost every area by himself with the chainsaw. Since I was the tech me and him basically duo-ed the entire campaign while the two idiots kept killing themselves.
Yeah I played a game with that sort of person too. He was max level (as in 27 + max promotions) and played tech with flamethower and chainsaw. It was work just trying to keep up with him.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #157 on: July 24, 2010, 06:00:41 PM

As usual this game proves why I think forced coop is stupid and why I'm playing fewer and fewer games anymore.  I want to play and learn the game while enjoying myself.  Not spend 45 mins looking for a game where I don't get shot in the back by random_mouthbreather, votekicked because I chose Healer instead of DPS or votekicked because the 3 other idiots in the game say "Dude you stole our friends spot" because they're too stupid to create a private game.

Ohhhhh, I see.  I love the public.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 24, 2010, 06:47:16 PM

Normally I'm right there with you in this opinion, but that's honestly very different than my experience with this game so far (not to say I don't believe you, I was actually wondering where the scumbags were). Even when I first started people were pretty nice about it, and I've only had two assholes. My plans changed this weekend so I've played quite a bit too with the free time I've gained as a result, and still only two people that I wouldn't play with again.

If you want, look me up and I'll gladly play with you while you learn.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #159 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:40 PM

Is there any reason at all not to run every mission with 2 medics and 2 techs?

Try it on insane.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #160 on: July 24, 2010, 09:13:38 PM

As usual this game proves why I think forced coop is stupid and why I'm playing fewer and fewer games anymore.  I want to play and learn the game while enjoying myself.  Not spend 45 mins looking for a game where I don't get shot in the back by random_mouthbreather, votekicked because I chose Healer instead of DPS or votekicked because the 3 other idiots in the game say "Dude you stole our friends spot" because they're too stupid to create a private game.

Ohhhhh, I see.  I love the public.
My experience is similar to Segoris's so far. I've played with one griefer (wielded doors, trapping us behind) so far and a couple of "bossy" leaders telling people to get this or switch to that. One guy in particular irked me cause he didn't want me to take a telsa cannon or flamer on an egg level cause other people had them and they "didn't stack" (this was pre-telsa cannon nerf) Facepalm I heeded his wishes and of course we all died cause the other two people weren't using the AoE weapons as their primary weapons.

If you want to play by yourself and don't care about exp you can use the "asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1" console command lesion posted to play practice games on any map and any difficulty:

asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1

I would recommend leveling up to at least 13 so you have the flamethrower unlocked when playing practice games with the AI on the "egg" levels (the last 3 maps).

If you want to play online games by yourself use the "asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1" command:
asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1
Note that it's pretty challenging playing by yourself. You can level up this way but it's really slow compared to playing with others.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 25, 2010, 04:45:41 AM

The only annoying trend I've encountered is fuckers who host games and then quit if they get killed early in a mission, dropping everyone else as well. If you can't cope with having to watch your teammates play through then either don't host or make sure you don't die. The last one was especially annoying because the fucker killed himself flinging a grenade while surrounded by swarm. Mostly though people have been pretty nice, not many griefers just a few idiots.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #162 on: July 25, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Should we start a "Bad Groups" thread for Alien Swarm ala the thread in WoW?  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:04 AM

or votekicked because the 3 other idiots in the game say "Dude you stole our friends spot" because they're too stupid to create a private game.

Yeah, I got this a couple of times.  Retarded.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #164 on: July 26, 2010, 04:58:34 PM

Oh good, I was beginning to think it was just me.  Now I know they just hate those of of UK ancestry.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Alien Swarm  
Jump to: