Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPhone 4 press conf 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPhone 4 press conf  (Read 55245 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 05:57:00 AM

It's not running because it detects the iPod as an iPhone 4 and tries to load the high res textures, runs out of memory, and crashes.  There's apparently an update coming to make it use low res textures on the iPod so it'll stop crashing.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:47 AM

What's this Unreal game demo you're all referring to?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 10:22:36 AM

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:17 AM

I can't imagine that being any good for your battery life.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 02:09:46 PM

The new ipod showed up today, and true to advertising the doubling of the screen resolution does make a very noticeable improvement in the visual quality.  I wish I could test the new camera and whatnot, but the case I ordered is apparently delayed by a week  Ohhhhh, I see. so I'm using an older case without the cutout for the camera until it arrives.

And fun fact, Apple didn't bother putting in a cheap plastic dock adapter with the 4th generation ipods.  But don't worry, you can buy a three-pack from Apple for just nine dollars.  Stay classy, Apple.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:04 AM

swamp poop

I always wondered what the fuck that piece of plastic was for.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 14, 2010, 01:23:46 AM

It's to make the ass of your iDevice fit properly in generic docks so the dock-makers don't have to worry about newer iDevices not fitting.  Which isn't a bad idea.  It's just fucking tacky to stop including them and then make everyone purchase them in three-packs when not many people need more than one.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:17 AM

All I want in my iPod is more memory.

It's pretty lame how instead of getting a lot bigger iPods are getting a little bigger and adding a bunch of features I don't care about. I have a nano. I don't need to look at cover art, I don't need games, I don't need tilt controls. (LOL?) I like music and I like to burn things with a high bit rate. An 8 gig nano today costs about the same as a 4 gig one 4 years ago - double the size for the same price over 4 whole years.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:18 AM

The new ipod showed up today, and true to advertising the doubling of the screen resolution does make a very noticeable improvement in the visual quality.  I wish I could test the new camera and whatnot, but the case I ordered is apparently delayed by a week  Ohhhhh, I see. so I'm using an older case without the cutout for the camera until it arrives.

And fun fact, Apple didn't bother putting in a cheap plastic dock adapter with the 4th generation ipods.  But don't worry, you can buy a three-pack from Apple for just nine dollars.  Stay classy, Apple.

Err.. mine came with one.  I threw it out since the radio I bought for work also came with one.

The camera's a pretty fun little toy.  The videos aren't terrible but they're not great either.  It's better than nothing, plus some of the in-camera stuff (like Cyborg or "infared") are pretty fun to dick around with.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #79 on: January 01, 2011, 06:14:38 PM

Sorry for the necro, but my question seemed appropriate here:

Is there anything coming down the pike relatively soon that would make purchasing an iPhone 4 with ATT 2yr contract a poor decision right now?  (other than all of it, I'm sure some will say...)

I'm sick and tired of my HTC Hero and I'm considering early termination on it to go with a iPhone 4.  Too many missed calls, replaced the Hero 2 times, still doesn't work right.  I just want a phone that works - and my wife's iPhone 3GS just "works" all the time.  Faster than my Hero, more consistently. 

Just don't want to sign a 2year and next week some new awesome thing comes out....
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 01, 2011, 06:37:42 PM

Wait ~two months.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 01, 2011, 07:25:43 PM

Is that due to the possibility of Verizon offering service for iPhones?  Is it really expected to decrease the monthly bill by a significant amount?  Or is there some other reason?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #82 on: January 01, 2011, 07:35:45 PM

Sorry for the necro, but my question seemed appropriate here:

Is there anything coming down the pike relatively soon that would make purchasing an iPhone 4 with ATT 2yr contract a poor decision right now?  (other than all of it, I'm sure some will say...)

I'm sick and tired of my HTC Hero and I'm considering early termination on it to go with a iPhone 4.  Too many missed calls, replaced the Hero 2 times, still doesn't work right.  I just want a phone that works - and my wife's iPhone 3GS just "works" all the time.  Faster than my Hero, more consistently. 

Just don't want to sign a 2year and next week some new awesome thing comes out....

You'll want to do some research on how AT&T is in your area. AT&T in New York, for instance, is notorious for dropped calls. I have it in Seattle, and its fine.

But the bottom line is, its probably not your phone, but your service.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 01, 2011, 07:46:35 PM

ATT is decent here in Columbus, Ohio.  My wife has it on her work 3gs and there's no issues.  We're planning a move to the Seattle area mid to end-2011, so it's good to know the network is decent there, too.  Thanks!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #84 on: January 01, 2011, 08:48:55 PM

Is it really expected to decrease the monthly bill by a significant amount?
Your bill will never go down. Ever.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 01, 2011, 09:19:31 PM

Is there anything coming down the pike relatively soon that would make purchasing an iPhone 4 with ATT 2yr contract a poor decision right now?

From MacRumors' iPhone Buyer's Guide:

To date, the iPhone has been on a yearly update timeline, with a new model released each June. Each new model update has brought double the storage of the previous generation, typically at the same price point, along with other updates. If an update trend were to be extrapolated from the limited data available, it appears as though every other year brings about major hardware and internals updates (original 2G iPhone, 3G S), with the in-between years being more focused on adding some features and updating the cosmetics but based on the same hardware as the previous generation (3G, iPhone 4).

AT&T's exclusivity contract with Apple for the iPhone is set to expire in 2010, however AT&T is reportedly attempting to extend the contract. Recent rumors suggest that, due to the similarity of 4G cellular network technology plans by AT&T and Verizon, if the iPhone is expanded to Verizon (or other carriers), it most likely won't happen until these carriers have rolled out their 4G networks (assuming AT&T's exclusivity has expired by then). Verizon and AT&T have planned to roll out 4G beginning in 2011.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 01, 2011, 09:46:17 PM

Hmmm.  Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I don't really want to wait until June, so I think I'll pull the trigger soon.  Can't really see a reason not to, by this info.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 01, 2011, 10:00:08 PM

I assume you're with Sprint now if you have a Hero? How far are you into your contract?

I believe Sprint lets you upgrade once you are one year into your contract, at least they did for me. Pick up an EVO or Epic if you can upgrade and be a million times happier than you are with the Hero. You'd end up spending less money I'm sure since you wouldn't have to pay an early termination fee.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 02, 2011, 12:50:00 AM

Or be crazy and buy a phone from Virgin Mobile and pay $25 a month....

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:42 AM

I assume you're with Sprint now if you have a Hero? How far are you into your contract?

I believe Sprint lets you upgrade once you are one year into your contract, at least they did for me. Pick up an EVO or Epic if you can upgrade and be a million times happier than you are with the Hero. You'd end up spending less money I'm sure since you wouldn't have to pay an early termination fee.

It's a wash, really.  If I go with the iPhone, it's $130 early termination and $199 for the iPhone.  If I stay with Sprint I can upgrade in February by signing a new 2year contract and spending $250ish for the new phone.

I'm just at a point where I want a simple, easy to use phone.  I know the iPhone offers that, so I think that's what I really want.  The epic is a damn nice phone, but frankly I just don't trust Android phones after being burned on this Hero. 
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #90 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:34 AM

The Hero is a first gen Android phone and with anything that's first gen, there are problems. Every Android based phone I've played with since hasn't been such a pain, not to mention the technical limitations of that phone are pretty big.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #91 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:45 AM

Off topic but Hawkbit's avatar is  Heart

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 04, 2011, 03:59:44 PM

Thanks all for the tips.  I ended up getting the iPhone... it will cost me a bit more, but overall is just simpler to use than the Hero.  I'm already using it more than I ever used my Hero, simply because it works smoothly.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #93 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:21 PM

Any idea how service will compare between Verizon iPhone and AT&T iPhone?  I hear shit things about AT&T/iPhones in the bay area, but I've also heard that Verizon's network will be slower for the iPhone.  Any truth to this?  I currently use Verizon and like it quite a bit (I get good reception just about everywhere), so I'd like to stay, but if the phone takes a big performance hit for data....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: January 04, 2011, 05:06:17 PM

Any idea how service will compare between Verizon iPhone and AT&T iPhone?  I hear shit things about AT&T/iPhones in the bay area, but I've also heard that Verizon's network will be slower for the iPhone.  Any truth to this?  I currently use Verizon and like it quite a bit (I get good reception just about everywhere), so I'd like to stay, but if the phone takes a big performance hit for data....
Depends on where in the SF Bay Area.

For voice in San Francisco itself Verizon is probably better. Other places vary. E.g. in my old place on the Peninsula only AT&T has good reception cause the city doesn't allow others to build cell towers there. In my new place my AT&T reception is very poor. I haven't tried Verizon or Sprint at my new place to see how they compare here.

For data it's going to vary as well. You might want to borrow an iPhone from somebody and check signal strength and bandwidth speeds in the places where you use your phone a lot.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #95 on: January 04, 2011, 06:06:12 PM

In my experience with data networks, VZW > TMO > ATT, but as Trippy points out, it depends a *lot* on where you are, what the infrastructure is like there and what the network load is like there.  At the office, TMO has been better than ATT, but at my house ~5 miles away, ATT has been more solid.  VZW beats both of them in most places around here, in my experience.

Of course if iphone ships on VZW and several million disgruntled ATT users suddenly jump ship, who knows what that'll do to your data/call experience...  Maybe things on ATT will improve significantly ^^
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:02 PM

In my experience with data networks, VZW > TMO > ATT, but as Trippy points out, it depends a *lot* on where you are, what the infrastructure is like there and what the network load is like there.  At the office, TMO has been better than ATT, but at my house ~5 miles away, ATT has been more solid.  VZW beats both of them in most places around here, in my experience.

Of course if iphone ships on VZW and several million disgruntled ATT users suddenly jump ship, who knows what that'll do to your data/call experience...  Maybe things on ATT will improve significantly ^^

Is there any stats or metrics on carrier data volume? Like a while back, AT&T claimed that iPhone usage on the mobile network was a factor greater than any other phone or smartphone.

It's infuriating to me that the mobile data access is expensive, fee ridden, unreliable, spotty coverage, capped, etc.… I can deal with cost, but the others irk me, especially in a market that appears to be a competitive one, but it seems each carrier has pledged not to rise above a specified "ill service" mark.

In contrast to broadband at the home, where there is no competition but a fat pipe serving up the internet at a 99.9% clip.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:27 PM

Virgin mobile on the sprint network has a nice 25$ all you can eat plan with like 300 minutes.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #98 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:00 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #99 on: January 11, 2011, 08:24:30 AM

Counting down the days until my AT&T contract ends.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #100 on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:11 AM

Very tempting if I ever get a job again.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:11 AM

I'm assuming they are saving LTE for the iPhone 5 in june
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #102 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:47 AM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #103 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:50 AM

I'm assuming they are saving LTE for the iPhone 5 in june

I'd be surprised.  More likely 2012.  The LTE transition plan sucks (requiring both CDMA and LTE radios operating simultaneously, bad for power, bad for board space, bad for antenna designs) and if you don't do that (LTE-only) your coverage area is massively smaller, unless VZW steps up the roll-out significantly.  Would not blame Cupertino for skipping over that awkward transition phase at all and waiting until LTE coverage was complete to deploy an LTE-only device.

LTE iPad might make some sense though.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:45 AM

My contract is up in June, but I was hoping for iPhone 5 by then (still toting a 3Gs which has served well) - or maybe just dumping the cell phone altogether -- I love the iPhone, but it's pricy (paying almost $200 per month for Mrs. Naum and me, getting slammed on unlimited text message monthly fee which is robbery)…

…considering just swapping iPad for 3G iPad and using that as "emergency" phone.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPhone 4 press conf  
Jump to: