Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPhone 4 press conf 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPhone 4 press conf  (Read 55250 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:37 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/

Some precious quotes:

"The iPhone 4 is perhaps the best product we've ever made at Apple. We've sold well over 3 million since we launched it 3 weeks ago. It's been judged the number 1 smartphone..." Hey, Engadget!
- I thought Consumer Reports gave it a poor review...or was that a not recommend?

"It has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any iPhone and any smartphone out there."

"So we could have gone on and on. Most smartphones take a hit exactly the same way. These were all tested in areas of relatively weak signal strength. This is life in the smartphone world. Phones aren't perfect. It's a challenge for the whole industry. Every phone has weak spots."

"So what have we learned? Smartphones have weak spots -- this isn't just the iPhone 4, it's all phones. Next, some really interesting data from AppleCare, we looked at the statistics, we asked what's the percentage of all iPhone 4 users that have called AppleCare about the antenna or reception, or anything near reception problems. Because you would have thought 'Jesus, it must be a lot of users complaining about this' -- So what percentage have called AppleCare? 0.55% Just one half of one percent."

Oh wow... I am astounded by Steve arguments. I mean really astounded. Damage control, but the arguments are just weak.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:41:37 AM

Even the knobslobs at Twit are kinda balking. Kinda.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:19 AM

Schadenfreude at its best. I am enjoying the hell out of this shitstorm.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:24 AM

They're giving away free cases to fix the problem, along with giving people refunds.  That's decent enough, though they could have done so without acting like they were doing a grand favor to the plebeians.  And I haven't seen any mention that the free phone refunds are going to simultaneously let someone out of a new AT&T contract if they signed up for the phone.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:55 AM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:11:51 AM

30 day return policy on AT&T plans - I'd guess you'd pay the piper even though you get the refund from apple. Free bumper... great, can't fault them for doing something... but really? Basically what amounts to a free rubberband for your phone? So much for the sleek design.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:08 AM

This is still gonna bite them, I think.  Most of their conference was spent claiming that all cellphones lose reception when touched, that it's not an iphone thing.  And that's true.  But the testing data online so far shows the iphone taking a reception hit about three times greater than other phones.  So claiming that it's no different than other phones is, while not an outright lie, very dishonest in the way it was presented.  And everyone on the net who was tech savvy enough to find the antenna problem is going to be very very fast to point that fact out in the wake of this conference.
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:01 AM

Well when your product doesn't outperform the competition, compensate for it by making the competition look bad. Stay classy Jobs.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:33:14 AM

Yeah, the presser seemed to be the normal spin stuff. But, the full refunds through september 30th is nice, and supposedly ATT is backing them on this. Some interesting things was pointing out very much that they have a Verizon cell on campus, illustrating the frustraton for ATTs part in this mess.

There are reports that Apple may have slipstreamed a fix of sorts into production. PEople have managed to get newer iphone 4s after going to the store to complain that do not seem to have the issue, and seem to be flush wit the black "bumps" between antennas that may indicate a coating to help. September 30th may be the deadline for ramping that up.

I'm a mixed environment person. I have a macbook, work on Macs at work, but have a PC at home. I do love apple products, and I do like what Jobs has done for the company, but the arrogance does get old at times.

beer geek.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:48 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/

Some precious quotes:
"The iPhone 4 is perhaps the best product we've ever made at Apple. We've sold well over 3 million since we launched it 3 weeks ago. It's been judged the number 1 smartphone..." Hey, Engadget!
- I thought Consumer Reports gave it a poor review...or was that a not recommend?
No actually on the CR chart for reviewed smart phones the iPhone 4 had the highest overall ratings. They just wouldn't recommend it cause of the antenna issue.

http://www.examiner.com/x-39728-Tech-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m7d13-Consumer-Reports-rates-iPhone-4-top-despite-not-recommending
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:52 PM

Thanks for hunting that down. I got called to a meeting and and had to run before I could research it a bit.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:01 PM

Anyone who's gone out of their way to buy a phone on lolat&t sort of deserves to have a phone that doesn't work.  Even without antenna problems, AT&T phones don't get reception in half my city, so  awesome, for real  I am eager to see the new ipod generation, though.  As long as they don't fuck up and intentionally subtract features from it (like the missing camera and mic from the third gen) it's a must-buy for me.

Meanwhile, I'm busy downgrading my current ipod back to 3.1, as it's turned into a laggy crashy piece of shit with no battery life after the OS 4 'upgrade'.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:30:27 PM

I am lucky in that coverage is just fine here. Verizon isn't any better or worse either.

beer geek.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:37:14 PM

You know, after a lot of this stuff, and everyone paying attention to signal and stuff. I am starting to think that its the iPhone not AT&T that is at fault for a lot of the dropped calls from the previous generation of iPhone. If the new iPhone in a case can hold a steady signal in areas where the old iPhone would always drop calls, that seems to me its the phone and not a congested network.

I really want an iPhone 4, cause its great, everything except the reception issue. I just can't bring myself to buy the phone until this issue is fixed.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:14 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:49:15 PM

Their PR folks need some humility installed in them via gunpoint
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:11 PM

Their PR folks need some humility installed in them via gunpoint

swamp poop

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:58 PM

You know, after a lot of this stuff, and everyone paying attention to signal and stuff. I am starting to think that its the iPhone not AT&T that is at fault for a lot of the dropped calls from the previous generation of iPhone. If the new iPhone in a case can hold a steady signal in areas where the old iPhone would always drop calls, that seems to me its the phone and not a congested network.

I really want an iPhone 4, cause its great, everything except the reception issue. I just can't bring myself to buy the phone until this issue is fixed.

AT&T is pretty bad. It's definitely not just an iPhone thing. Hell, even Apple said there was an issue.... they just said other phones have similar issues. So, it's totally normal.  awesome, for real

beer geek.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

Just incase anyone wants to read it, here is the Anandtech article that proves Jobs is full of shit when he said the iPhone 4's antenna issue is the same as every other smartphone.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:41 PM

Just incase anyone wants to read it, here is the Anandtech article that proves Jobs is full of shit when he said the iPhone 4's antenna issue is the same as every other smartphone.
Actually that article proves his point.
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 04:12:51 PM

Jobs is the consummate sales person. Talk up the cutting edge, awesome and minimize the shortcomings by equating them to the rest of the flock... or just don't talk at all about it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:02 PM

The HTC Nexus One suffered a 10.7 dB signal loss when being held.
The iPhone 4 suffered a 19.8 dB signal loss.

The iPhone suffering 85% more signal loss than the competitors is somewhat the opposite of proving his point, which was 'oh golly gee, the iPhone's being unfairly singled out, this happens to everyone!'
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:38:18 PM

Free bumper cases for all!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 04:40:22 PM

Free bumper cases for all!

Am I doing it right?  why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 04:55:26 PM

The HTC Nexus One suffered a 10.7 dB signal loss when being held.
The iPhone 4 suffered a 19.8 dB signal loss.

The iPhone suffering 85% more signal loss than the competitors is somewhat the opposite of proving his point, which was 'oh golly gee, the iPhone's being unfairly singled out, this happens to everyone!'
He didn't say the signal drop was the same with the other smart phones he compared just that many of them have the same problem. And comparing signal drop without measuring the actual impact on call performance or download speeds is almost meaningless. E.g. in that same article they discussed anecdotally how the 4G antenna design seems to handle weaker signals better than the 3GS's. I.e. because of the design of the antenna it's likely it picks up weaker signals better. That doesn't mean it totally offsets the drop when held in certain ways but it makes comparing the drop between different phones difficult without some other sorts of measurements.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:53 PM

He didn't say the signal drop was the same with the other smart phones he compared just that many of them have the same problem. And comparing signal drop without measuring the actual impact on call performance or download speeds is almost meaningless. E.g. in that same article they discussed anecdotally how the 4G antenna design seems to handle weaker signals better than the 3GS's. I.e. because of the design of the antenna it's likely it picks up weaker signals better. That doesn't mean it totally offsets the drop when held in certain ways but it makes comparing the drop between different phones difficult without some other sorts of measurements.

All that you say is true.  However, I would point out that it took less than a day from the release of the new iphone for people to have noticed their calls and data connections being disrupted.  I am not yet aware of any group of people making similar claims for the Nexus One, what, six months after it came out now?  More?  If those 10.7 decibels were sufficient to meaningfully disrupt the Nexus One, I would suspect that there would have been some outcry from the Google nerds by now.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 09:50:52 AM

Probably because it's as much of a non-issue for the google nerds as this is for most 4 owners.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:19 AM

All that you say is true.  However, I would point out that it took less than a day from the release of the new iphone for people to have noticed their calls and data connections being disrupted.  I am not yet aware of any group of people making similar claims for the Nexus One, what, six months after it came out now?  More?  If those 10.7 decibels were sufficient to meaningfully disrupt the Nexus One, I would suspect that there would have been some outcry from the Google nerds by now.

Also if you look at the signal loss when held normally compared to the 3gs, which lost 1.9db.

My good friend has an iPhone 4, and the signal loss for him is totally brutal. To the point where he almost cant use it as a phone unless he is using a bluetooth ear piece, and he has to be very careful how he holds it when using data, or he will totally stop his data signal. I'm sure a lot of this is due to the fact he live in a low signal area, but still, it was never even an issue with the 3g and 3gs at his place.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 02:26:31 PM

I'm laughing at this whole situation. It's a "smart phone" that sucks as a phone. Lol.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 02:43:38 PM

I'm laughing at this whole situation. It's a "smart phone" that sucks as a phone. Lol.

Calling these things phones to begin with is kind of  awesome, for real  if they hadn't come from the mobile phone industry, it certainly wouldn't be the immediately obvious distinction.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 03:02:43 PM

What would you call it instead? A terrible gaming system? A shitty website reader? It's called the iPhone ffs, it should probably work as a phone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:06:21 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 04:28:26 PM

I read this thread and all i see is, "Haters gonna hate."

Get over it, if you don't want the phone don't get it.  It's existence isn't an affront to your personal universe..

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 07:37:50 PM

By his numbers that is 20,000 or so phones with a problem already.  Sounds like a high number to me. 

Also, you have to wonder how much of this is partially due to AT&T's shittiness. 
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 12:01:52 AM

I read this thread and all i see is, "Haters gonna hate."

Get over it, if you don't want the phone don't get it.  It's existence isn't an affront to your personal universe..

Yes, how dare people pay hundreds of dollars (thousands if you count the bundled service contract) for a product that has a design flaw and then be unhappy that the product they were so psyched to have isn't working right!  Why, when the company that routinely brags about the magical nature of their products puts out a revision that underperforms, they should get a pass.  Clearly anyone expecting that company to fulfill their lofty PR claims is a hater.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:35 AM

Oh Kitsune, its only the Phone part in iPhone that doesn't work right. The rest works great.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPhone 4 press conf  
Jump to: