Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 197799 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #805 on: December 06, 2010, 09:07:44 AM

Hurray! UW gets to go to a bowl.

To play Nebraska, who absolutely destroyed them in September.  ACK!

Welp.

Nebraska is suffering a bit lately.  I worry about UWs defense though. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #806 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:47 AM

UW v Neb & the travesty of a Fiesta Bowl are real fucking head scratchers.  I hate that Wisconsin isn't playing Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

I will tell you right now that every single Big Ten fan is nervous as fuck or they have been drinking too much kool aid.  This is it as close to settling it on the field as we're likely to get.  Four fucking bowl games with SEC v Big10 matchups and I don't think either league can complain too hard that they have worse match ups though we will see when the lines come out.

Speaking of lines I was looking around and some people claim you can get Northwestern at +17.5 versus Texas Tech, if I wasn't insanely deep in debt right now...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #807 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:52 AM

TCU and Connecticut have to play someone.  I guess they could play each other, but I would prefer to see TCU get trounced by Wisconsin so we can shut up about non AQ conferences.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: December 06, 2010, 12:25:54 PM

TCU and Connecticut will be playing in conference games every year soon enough anyway.

Over and out.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #809 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:12 PM

Anyway, I think Ingram will have a better season than you're expecting, Charmer.  

Bet you a game on steam that he ranks third on the team in number of carries by the end of the season ;)

Okay.  That's fair.  Under 15 bucks?

Edit:  To be clear-  he is #1 or #2, I win, #3 or worse you win.  And injury should nullify the bet. 

Ahem.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: December 07, 2010, 07:27:37 PM

Ahem.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Bastard!  Hehehehe, I was actually thinking about this the other day and got distracted by something.

Lemme know what game you want and the account to send it to.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #811 on: December 08, 2010, 01:07:01 PM

Looks like Urban Meyer will be stepping down again.  I'm not sure what his issue is.  I guess he realized that post Tebow wasn't as glorious as he thought it might be.  

Edit:  I suspect that he has in his sights a nice, cushy announcer's job.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:16:27 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #812 on: December 10, 2010, 07:54:58 AM

10 Sec teams in bowls. Lord. I will give a rundown on the match ups on Monday.

Also awesome, for real on Meyer. That's right, cry for Tebow. Life is not what you thought it would be?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #813 on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:46 PM

Looks like Urban Meyer will be stepping down again.  I'm not sure what his issue is.  I guess he realized that post Tebow wasn't as glorious as he thought it might be.  

Edit:  I suspect that he has in his sights a nice, cushy announcer's job.  

I hear Denver Broncos are looking for a coach  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #814 on: December 11, 2010, 07:38:23 PM

Wow.  Will Muschamp just left Texas to be the head coach at Florida.  I can't say I'm super sad to see the guy leave, but this is just a bit odd.  Mack is left with an empty house right now. 
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:33 PM

TCU and Connecticut will be playing in conference games every year soon enough anyway.

iknowrite? Strangeness.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #816 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:04 AM

So I said I would do a rundown on all the SEC Bowl matchups, and here it is. Let the mocking of my SEC Homerism begin!

1: Music City Bowl - North Carolina v. Tennessee

It's basically a home game for Tennessee fans who should show up in droves. They also should be thrilled they got to a bowl game at all, let alone one in their backyard after the clusterfuck of a season that it could have been. North Carolina has been dealing with nothing but problems all year long from their academic issues, and I just can't see their fans getting that jacked up to take the trip on a Thursday to Nashville. It's a straight up match where neither teams holds the statistical advantage, but the crowd makes the difference. WINNER: Tennessee

2: Liberty Bowl - Georgia v. UCF

As a Georgia fan, this is just pitiful to see. We're in a bowl against the conference USA champion? Whoopedeedo! The only thing worse than playing in this bowl is losing in this bowl, so Georgia will have to overcome the fact that nobody will show up, nobody will expect UCF to win, and nobody will care sine it's on New Year's Eve. It's totally mental, but I believe that Richt will get their heads right in time. Also, AJ Green is unstoppable. WINNER: Georgia

3: Chick-fil-A Bowl - South Carolina v. Florida State

Probably the first solid SEC matchup that fans will legitimately give a shit about. This bowl always fills up and both teams travel like madmen to these kinds of bowls. South Carolina got smoked by Arkansas and Auburn this year because they simply can't put up more than 35 a game against decent teams. Florida State couldn't defend against UNC or VA Tech, period. I consider those to be much lesser programs than what South Carolina strugged with. What it comes down to for me was how they both played Clemson. Florida State won 16-13, BARELY. The Gamecocks won 29-7 in a dominating fashion. WINNER: South Carolina

4: Outback Bowl - Florida v. Penn State

Total mismatch. Florida is god-awful, their coach is quitting, and their offense is pathetic. For some reason Florida is a 7 point favorite in this game. I have no idea what they are watching. I'm taking Penn State on the money line to win outright and never looking back. Florida couldn't put up more than 7 on a team like Florida State, and you really expect them to somehow get it going against a Big Ten defense? Don't let the fact that Penn State lost to Michigan State or Ohio State fool you. Those are decent teams, and Florida isn't. WINNER: Penn State

5: Capital One Bowl - Alabama v. Michigan State

Total mismatch again. Alabama's defense averages only 14 points a game given up. Michigan State can put up points, but they are capable of giving up quite a few to bad teams. Alabama is not a bad offense, and they will absolutely capitalize on stupid turnovers and penalties. Last time I checked, Michigan State was 91st in the nation in penalty discipline. Expect Sparty to make critical mistakes that cost them this game. WINNER: Alabama

6: Gator Bowl - Mississippi State v. Michigan

I like this matchup because it encompasses two programs going in completely different directions. Michigan is wandering lost in the frozen North still trying to figure out WTF happened to their program, and their coach is listening to Josh Groban to console himself. Mississippi State came out fighting in a division they had no business winning games in, and they managed to string together an impressive record. This is old and busted v. new hotness. I pick the program that isn't thinking about firing their head coach, but rather just trying to keep him. WINNER: Mississippi State

7: Sugar Bowl - Ohio State v. Arkansas

I hate to admit it, but this is a bad matchup. Both teams can put up points. Both teams can move the ball when they have to. Both teams have good leadership and solid QB play. Here's the difference: Arkansas has no...fucking...defense. ZERO. An SEC team with no defense is like a Scottish golf course with no wind. It's like the Colts without Peyton Manning. It's like the Catholic Church without the Pope. It's simply not an SEC team. All Ohio State has to do is control the ground game and run the clock. Game over. WINNER: Ohio State

8: Cotton Bowl - LSU v. Texas A&M

Um, who the fuck knows? Neither team has been remotely consistent this year. LSU is run by a functioning retard who doesn't know how to read his own watch. Texas A&M can beat OU and Nebraska convincingly through solid defense, but let teams like Missouri and Oklahoma State beat them with 30+. I have absolutely no clue which team will show up on either side. However, I know Les Miles has made a pact with the devil to let him win 4/5 bowl games over the last 5 years that he had no business winning. WINNER: LSU

9: Compass Bowl - Pittsburgh v. Kentucky

Is this a real bowl? I had to look it up. Apparently, yes, it used to be the Birmingham Bowl and has been run since 2006. Oh and it's at the delightful Legion Field, also known as "that shithole that even people in Alabama think is too ugly." How did Pittsburgh get a bowl invite? Did they find it in a box of Life Cereal? Oh no wait, they play in the Big East. One more win and they could have won that shitty conference. Nice to see the runner-up for that was Birmingham. I don't even need to know who they are playing to pick against Pitt. WINNER: Kentucky

10: National Championship - Oregon v. Auburn

SEC is 6-0 in these, and neither of these teams play any form of regular defense. If Auburn gets past the first quarter without spotting Oregon 21 points, they will win easily. If it's a shootout to the end, the first team with 3 defensive stops will win. Nothing is going to make me pick against a Heisman winner and the SEC champion in this game, but I don't think it will be anything but nail-bitingly close. WINNER: Auburn

So yeah, I have the SEC going 8-2 in their bowls. Suck on that!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #817 on: December 22, 2010, 01:32:35 PM

Should be a good bowl game tonight-  BSU versus Utah. 

Good luck, Abogadro!  I hope you kick the shit out of them (and I apologize in advance if I've cursed your team like at ND).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #818 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:31 PM

Heh. Should be a good game (please, please, please no TCU-like beat down). I had a ticket and hotel room all ready so I could head down to see it in person but circumstances intervened. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: December 22, 2010, 01:46:06 PM

Game tonight is streaming on ESPN3 for those (like me) who do not have a TV/cable.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #820 on: December 22, 2010, 01:56:16 PM

Heh. Should be a good game (please, please, please no TCU-like beat down). I had a ticket and hotel room all ready so I could head down to see it in person but circumstances intervened. 

Just get within 17 and I'll be happy.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: December 22, 2010, 05:29:20 PM

Wow this game is sloppy so far  ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: December 22, 2010, 05:44:58 PM

That illegal down field call was bullshit. Brooks was a yard off the LOS.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: December 22, 2010, 05:49:32 PM

That illegal down field call was bullshit. Brooks was a yard off the LOS.

He may have been technically where he was supposed to be, but the whole line was all sloppy. I am sure it was called because the tackle was farther off the line than he was.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: December 22, 2010, 05:58:00 PM

That happens in every game. No team lines up correctly these days.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #825 on: December 22, 2010, 07:18:34 PM

Utah's O-line is a little suspect. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:42 PM

Our whole offense is terrible. We are on our backup QB (he's actually pretty decent) but it just plain sucks and has for nearly 5 games.  We have talent but our scheme and play calling are atrocious.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #827 on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:55 PM

The whole game was terrible to watch. Seven total turnovers and 13 total penalties. Utah's defense played their asses off and got to watch the offense completely fuck them at every turn.

It was disgusting and I'm not even a fan.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #828 on: December 23, 2010, 05:48:32 AM

We are on our backup QB (he's actually pretty decent) but it just plain sucks and has for nearly 5 games.  We have talent but our scheme and play calling are atrocious.

Yeah, I saw flashes from him that might indicate he has some potential.  The sacks that I saw weren't really coverage sacks, but he could have gotten rid of the ball more quickly.  That will come with time.  Still, with a halfway decent O-Line he could have had just a little more time to be able to make that decision to chuck it out of bounds or run.  That would have made a world of difference.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #829 on: December 27, 2010, 04:02:53 PM

Air Force versus Georgia Tech. 

Gag. Heartbreak
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #830 on: December 28, 2010, 06:24:28 AM

The legend lives, Georgia Tech still sucks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Six straight bowl losses now. I don't think you can argue the triple option isn't a total worthless gimmick.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #831 on: December 28, 2010, 07:00:36 AM

Doesn't Air Force run a similar offense?  I couldn't watch that shit.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:04 AM

Yes, air force runs the triple option but it is of a slightly different variety I believe. It always drove the utes nuts.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #833 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:20 AM

Maybe it is the triple option where they throw the ball more than 5 times per game.  Nesbit actually had 4 (four!) passing attempts versus North Carolina this year and I believe last year had a game with only 2.  Scratch that-  he was 1-7 against Virginia Tech, which is still fucking ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:34:54 AM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #834 on: December 28, 2010, 12:25:22 PM

Air Force has a viable passing attack. They can run shotgun plays and know how to catch.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #835 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:54 PM

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2010/12/29/Sugar-Bowl-boss-backed-suspended-OSU-5/UPI-55191293645487/

CEO of the Sugar Bowl went to the NCAA and asked for the Ohio State players to be allowed to play in the Bowl Game.

But no, it's not about the money according to the NCAA

Ohhhhh, I see.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #836 on: December 29, 2010, 01:44:43 PM

At the same time, they can't really punish anyone this year after the whole Cam Newton fiasco.

NCAA has never looked worse to me than it does this season.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #837 on: December 30, 2010, 03:31:22 PM

If you're not watching Syracuse-KState it has been very, very good.  I hope this is a sign for the rest of the real bowl games. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #838 on: December 30, 2010, 03:37:45 PM

If you're not watching Syracuse-KState it has been very, very good.  I hope this is a sign for the rest of the real bowl games. 

K State got jobbed at the end. That's a bad call and I HATE that fucking penalty. The NCAA needs to get over itself and ban the celebration penalty from the books. They may not have converted a 2 pointer, but from 18 is just silly.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #839 on: December 30, 2010, 03:58:41 PM

No shit.  We're talking about a game in which you have to be completely psychologically "up" to play and yet the players are expected to show no emotion whatsoever.  Gimme a break.

Now is the time for North Carolina to break the legs off of every Tennessee player that made the trip to this bowl game.  I fucking hate Tennessee.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: