Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 192732 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:09 AM

You'd probably need the Big 10 to go as well, but yeah. If the two biggest money making conferences told the NCAA to go fuck itself, that would cause it's downfall.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 01:10:05 PM

Big 10 or old Big 12?  Seems to me that Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and whoever else would be worth more than Ohio State and whoever else is in their conference.

Anyway, the ace in the SEC's pocket is the ESPN contract worth gazillions of dollars.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 01:54:59 PM

Big 10 or old Big 12?  Seems to me that Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and whoever else would be worth more than Ohio State and whoever else is in their conference.

Anyway, the ace in the SEC's pocket is the ESPN contract worth gazillions of dollars.

Big 12 (UT & OU) doesn't draw the TV dollars that the Big 10 does. It's not even close. The Big 10 made 3x the TV money in 2009 that the Big 12 made. You just don't think about it because they play a brand of football that puts most fans to sleep, but they eat that shit up in the North.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:08 PM

Yeah, the Big Ten is a huge gorilla compared to the Big 12, which is funny because you're right-  the Ohio State plus 11 league doesn't seem as if it would be that powerful when you compare to the Okie/Texas/Aggy triangle of evil.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:33 PM

Dismissing Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska as "plus 11" is pretty  swamp poop.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 02:15:33 PM

Frankly, I think they should just say forget the whole college thing and make it a minor leagues for football, keep playing on saturdays.  Thats all it is anyway, and we can stop the charade of the "student athlete."   Then we could do away with worrying about the joke that are all these violations anyway, we all know its all about the money to begin with.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 02:20:38 PM

Frankly, I think they should just say forget the whole college thing and make it a minor leagues for football, keep playing on saturdays.  Thats all it is anyway, and we can stop the charade of the "student athlete."   Then we could do away with worrying about the joke that are all these violations anyway, we all know its all about the money to begin with.

Most of the money ultimately comes from people who are into it precisely BECAUSE it is associated with their colleges, though. I'd certainly stop paying attention instantly if you took the Cal out of Cal Football. You'd lose a lot of traditions and trappings that are really important to people.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:32 PM

Also, the reason they can't do it is because the majority of atheletes do use their scholarships to get an education, and most of that money is funded by the football program in many major state schools. I know friends and members of my family got a free ride to their universities for other sports, and have parlayed that into successful careers. Sports like baseball, soccer, hockey, volleyball, track, swimming, gymnastics actually do produce the mythical "student athelete."

It's just that football doesn't because it's such a cash cow. Frankly, the way it is right now is a win-win for people that couldn't get by on intelligence but are great at football, and the thousands of other atheletes in less-popular sports who get to go to college that maybe couldn't afford it. The only downside is that not all the money gets distributed like that, and the schools themselves siphon it off to other bullshit projects, let alone the merchandizing whores making a killing off of kid's names that can't get a dime for it legally.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 03:00:11 PM

Even football does, honestly. Most of the guys on those teams don't go anywhere in the NFL or even play much in college and are just like that gymast or swimmer. Even sometimes the guys your school catches flak for over bringing them with bad academics or whatever turn out well, like Russell White did for us.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 06:51:34 AM

Dismissing Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska as "plus 11" is pretty  swamp poop.

Well, to be fair, Michigan and Penn State have been a bit of an afterthought lately in the polls and Nebraska hasn't existed in the Big Ten until now.  But my point wasn't to down the Big Ten, but more to show surprise at the relative lack of power that the Big 12 has. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:56 AM

The Big 12 has two nationally marketable teams. Texas and Oklahoma. That's it. When they play each other, it's a freaking showcase. When they play Baylor, Colorado State, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, or Missouri, nobody on the national scale gives a shit. Texas playing A&M is a big game because it's rivalry, just like OU and OKSt. Texas Tech was relevant for a couple years, and now they aren't, but the vestiges of that relevence are worth something until they really go tits up in the rankings. Nebraska left. So lets run down the games that actually mean something in the Big 12:

1 - Texas v. OU - almost always decides the South Champion.
2 - Texas v. A&M - rivalry week
3 - OU v. OK St. - rivalry week
4 - Texas v. Texas Tech - shootout factor / previous losses
5 - OU v. Texas Tech - has been big for tiebreaker purposes

That's five games in the entire season you could show on TV that would post a national appeal and/or have a major effect on the Big 12 championship. You simply can't sell the rest of the conference like you can the SEC or the Big 12 matchups given the rabid territory and national product.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:29 AM

For fucks sake...

Alabama's Marcell Dareus, he of the awesome spin move stiff arm touchdown scoring goodness in the BCS game, is under investigation by UA's compliance staff for attending a party this summer put on by an agent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 08:38:46 AM

Welp.

One of the guys I tagged for a breakout season just got kicked off the team. All the talent in the world, but too fucking stupid and immature to take advantage of it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 09:50:24 AM

Was this one of those Ricky Williams type situations where he was incredibly talented but just couldn't stop smoking dope constantly?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 09:52:33 AM

But coach, they tied the bong to my head with duct tape.  I couldn't get away!   why so serious?
WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:45 AM

He has been in battling for playing time his whole career even though he is obviously the most athletically gifted TE on the roster, so his motivation has been in question. This is the first I have heard about drugs, but it doesn't surprise me, I guess.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:55 AM

It sucks, but I doubt this hurts Washington in a real place where they needed production. With their QB and receiving core, the only question should be whether the defense can hang. If they can hold teams to 21 a game, they will win the conference hands down.

WayAbvPar

Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 10:59:16 AM

God I hope so. Seattle sports needs a winner like you can't believe.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 11:15:14 AM

Cleveland much?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

At least you guys were in the running a few years back.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 11:23:39 AM

Come now, you still have the Marin...oh wait. Well, it's almost football season. There's no way the Cardinals can win that division again without Warner.

WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:47 PM

Cleveland much?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

At least you guys were in the running a few years back.

Cleveland lost LeBron. We lost an entire NBA franchise  ACK!

Of course, Cleveland also had Modell fuck off to Baltimore and win a Super Bowl, so they definitely deserve some sympathy.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:17 AM

Mike Slive on the offensive.

Slive

"Slive's call for new ideas includes at least a discussion of simply deregulating the agent situation and allowing players to have agents while in college. He did not endorse the idea, but endorsed discussing it."

This is probably the best action.  They'll never be able to regulate things the way it is set up now.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 10:19:25 AM

All that does is move the problem further up the line. Instead of having agents pestering kids in college, you'll have them pestering kids in high school.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 01:13:25 PM

Slive may be right, though.  It may not be tenable to try to prevent these kids from dealing with agents.  So make it a free for all.  It will be a self-limiting market as there's only so much money to go around.  Let the parents police it.  Or let the law enforcement agencies police it, where it is illegal.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:26 PM

Slive may be right, though.  It may not be tenable to try to prevent these kids from dealing with agents.  So make it a free for all.  It will be a self-limiting market as there's only so much money to go around.  Let the parents police it.  Or let the law enforcement agencies police it, where it is illegal.

The simple truth is that there are too many agents and too few kids with real talent. The agents are 80% of the problem, and the NFL doesn't seem to care. The parents are the other 20%, because a lot of times this kid is their meal-ticket. Until the NFL decides to establish a code of conduct for agents dealing with these kids and enforces it, all the NCAA rules won't matter.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 01:31:51 PM

Right.  Which is why the NCAA should just wash their hands of it and let whatever happens happen.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:23 PM

That could potentially work if the state and/or federal law enforcement gets involved to make it illegal.  Saban, when he was at LSU, was able to help get a law pushed through that made it illegal for agents to have contact with athletes.  There's one on the books for the state of Alabama, but in so far hasn't been pushed yet.  If you make it illegal and punishable by law, and actually enforce it, some good may come.  You have to hit these agents where it hurts ($$$).  Take away their ability to do business legitimately, and you'll see progress.   The problem is, most agents use runners to distance themselves from the athletes - in which case you then need the runner to turncoat on the agents themselves.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #62 on: July 23, 2010, 06:21:50 AM

The main problem for me is that these kids are essentially endentured servants for a few years while coaches and universities make these highly publicized amounts of money off their play, and then criticize them for considering taking any money in return. But they get this mystical education that will somehow benefit them greatly in the NFL.

Kids that are great should be paid, I'm to the point where I just say let the chips fall where they may as well. Even though I know there's a huge downside to that.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #63 on: July 23, 2010, 07:16:40 AM

The only rule I think should be in place to prevent a player from taking money is from a signed marketing deal with a company, say Coke or Nike.  If an agent or booster wants to give money to a player then let them have at it.  It wouldn't be too much different from the '70s and '80s, which produced a lot of good football and not a lot of problems. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: July 23, 2010, 07:23:38 AM

What gets me is when you go to games and you see Georgia Jerseys with David Pollack's name on it. The kid was a stud defensive player for 4 years, got a deal in the NFL, broke his neck, and that was it. He's never going to see dime one from all the copious amounts of cash they made off of him because it happened under the guise of student athlete.

I think it's unethical to attach a person's name to something, sell it for a profit, and then think it's totally ok to completely cut them out of the deal. It happens in other places besides college athletics, but rarely do the offenders try to rationalize it like they are doing the victim a favor.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 10:14:13 AM

I forgot about Pollack.  That was a shame.  He was a good guy.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 10:17:57 AM

I forgot about Pollack.  That was a shame.  He was a good guy.

Don't feel too bad for him, he hosts a radio show on sports talk here in Atlanta, and he does numerous real estate developments with other UGA players. He isn't going to go hungry and pretty much jokes about the injury. He's married, fully mobile, happy, and doesn't seem to give a damn. Still, it could have made a lot of folks pretty bitter about the situation.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:01 AM

The only rule I think should be in place to prevent a player from taking money is from a signed marketing deal with a company, say Coke or Nike.  If an agent or booster wants to give money to a player then let them have at it.  It wouldn't be too much different from the '70s and '80s, which produced a lot of good football and not a lot of problems. 

Um, Miami.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #68 on: July 24, 2010, 05:28:41 PM

Hey, I loved watching Miami in the 80s  why so serious?

Also Oklahoma in the 70s and 80s.  

Edit:  In other news, Lame Kiffin is a huge douche
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:04:57 PM by ghost »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:22 PM

Most college football players are already paid thousands of dollars a year in the form of a free education.

Over and out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: