Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:36:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 194018 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #105 on: August 05, 2010, 02:09:44 PM

The solution is to let Ty Willingham take over the big programs for a few years each. By the time he is done, those tomato cans on the early schedule start to look like dangerous opponents.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #106 on: August 06, 2010, 07:44:40 AM

Preseason AP poll is out. Let the WTF begin on some of the teams in the top 25!

1. Alabama (55) 14-0 1,469 1
2. Ohio State (4) 11-2 1,392 5
3. Florida 13-1 1,245 3
4. Texas  13-1 1,240 2
5. Boise State  14-0 1,215 4
6. Virginia Tech 10-3 1,052 10
7. TCU 12-1 1,051 6
8. Oklahoma 8-5 1,035 NR
9. Nebraska 10-4 1,001 14
10. Iowa 11-2 952 7
11. Oregon 10-3 940 11
12. Wisconsin 10-3 778 16
13. Miami (Fla.) 9-4 728 19
14. Penn State 11-2 508 8
15. Pittsburgh 10-3 492 15
16. LSU 9-4 476 17
17. Georgia Tech 11-3 455 13
18. North Carolina 8-5 445 NR
19. Arkansas 8-5 438 NR
20. Florida State 7-6 374 NR
21. Georgia 8-5 312 NR
22. Oregon State 8-5 263 NR
23. Auburn 8-5 260 NR
24t. Utah 10-3 169 18
24t. West Virginia 9-4 169 22

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #107 on: August 06, 2010, 07:46:27 AM

I'll go first:

8. Oklahoma 8-5 1,035 NR

WTF?  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #108 on: August 06, 2010, 08:19:46 AM

That was the most glaring one on my list. The second was Virginia Tech at #6. Really? Are we actually going to pretend that the ACC is that relevant in the national scale? Part of me hopes they get trounced by Boise State. The other part of me realizes that if Boise wins that game, they won't shut up about belonging in the national title game when they rout the rest of their pussy conference.

Also, Oregon at 11 is a joke. They have no QB. The entire PAC-10 will get no respect this year, and the rankings bear that out so far.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #109 on: August 06, 2010, 02:04:15 PM

That's actually the USA Today coaches poll rather than the AP poll.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #110 on: August 06, 2010, 02:34:43 PM

Yeah, good point, I typed the wrong name. The AP poll will probably be the same with a few shifts.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #111 on: August 06, 2010, 04:54:53 PM

Oklahoma has a lot of talent.  That doesn't surprise me.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #112 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:12 PM

OU doesn't impress me. Their QB Landry Jones padded his stats against shitty teams as a freshman, but he was a question mark lots of games. Losing 10-3 to Nebraska? Getting blown out by Texas Tech? Losses to Miami and BYU didn't show much either. They have two real threats, Demarco Murray as a dual run/catch threat at RB, and Ryan Broyles. A good defensive team will key on the run, put their best corners on Broyles, and force them to become a one-dimensional passing team while bringing the heat.

Nebraska was a good example. They keyed on Murray and took him completely out of the game, forcing Jones to pass. I think they have a shot against Texas if their defense and special teams step up, but in a slog, I would count on OU blinking first.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #113 on: August 07, 2010, 06:40:52 AM

I'm not saying they are the best team in the country.  I do think OU is a top ten team though. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 07, 2010, 07:08:23 AM

Now that Pitt has shown its actually viable again, Joe Pa needs to reinstate the rivalry game again. Especially with both teams sitting at 14 and 15.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #115 on: August 07, 2010, 08:11:26 AM

I'm not saying they are the best team in the country.  I do think OU is a top ten team though.  

Perhaps, but I would have moved them down near Wisconsin. I think they a fairly similar chance to win their conference, except Wisconsin had a better finish to the last season. I think OU could be dangerous if they can sort out their inconsistencies. Time will tell.

As for the rest of the field, my predictions for conference champion go as follows:

SEC : Likely winner - Alabama, Dark Horse - Arkansas
ACC : Likely winner - Miami, Dark Horse - Florida State
Big 12: Likely winner - Texas, Dark Horse - Oklahoma State
PAC 10 - Likely winner - Oregon State, Dark Horse - Stanford
Big 10 - Likely winner - Ohio State, Dark Horse - Iowa

Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:47 AM

Oh I think you put too much faith in Miami. I see them falling fast this year. Now I say this as a huge Hurricanes fan...but I just don't see it. ACC I would put more stock into Va Tech with the Tarheels being a dark horse. Fla St maybe...only if they can gel without Bowden.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #117 on: August 07, 2010, 02:17:37 PM

Va Tech is too easy of a choice, and I don't like their QB. Tyrod Taylor just has to be good enough to get out of the way, and hope that Ryan Williams can grind down the opponent. Miami can handle that better this year because the suck-ass players from last year on D-line are gone, and the freshman playing on D-line are now sophomores with a year under their belt. They are young, but it can't get worse.

Also, Jacory Harris is the real deal, and probably the best QB in the ACC. He's had time to mature, and will get even more time before he has to face a real conference test against Clemson in October. Let's face it, their schedule was murderously hard early on last year, with 4 games against top 25 opponents in a row, and they still only dropped one of those games to Va Tech. This year, they play Va Tech in November at home.

I don't believe for a second Miami will be undefeated, in fact I expect them to lose to Ohio State and have a hard-fought match with Pitt. However, I do believe they can go 7-1 in conference play and get a shot at the title game.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #118 on: August 08, 2010, 03:26:06 PM

Don't rule out Florida.  That Brantley kid they have coming in at QB is a stud and has a great line protecting him.  Brantley may even prove to be a better QB for the team than Tebow was, as he offers more of a passing threat. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #119 on: August 09, 2010, 07:03:40 AM

The question for Florida is, who is Brantley throwing to and who is running between the tackles? Nobody has done any kind of interior running on that team except for Tebow. Hernandez and Cooper are gone, and I would be amazed if anybody outside of the Florida program or sports announcer could name both starting wide receivers, let alone the fact that none of their TE's have ever taken a snap in a college game.

They are severely overranked at #3, and hell I'm giving them credit that they CAN replace most of their defense.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 10:21:36 AM

The question for Florida is, who is Brantley throwing to and who is running between the tackles? Nobody has done any kind of interior running on that team except for Tebow. Hernandez and Cooper are gone, and I would be amazed if anybody outside of the Florida program or sports announcer could name both starting wide receivers, let alone the fact that none of their TE's have ever taken a snap in a college game.

They are severely overranked at #3, and hell I'm giving them credit that they CAN replace most of their defense.

Florida's backfield is stacked.  We have the fastest man in college football in Jeff Demps, an experienced JR; we have red shirt senior Emmanuel Moody, a very experienced and talented back that has been plagued by injuries, but looks to be fit this year; the explosive sophomore Mike Gillislee (had brilliant runs every chance he got to touch the ball last year); a highly rated freshman in Mack Brown who we will have to see about; and then we still have JR Chris Rainey who has moved to slot receiver, but is an experienced back and nearly as fast as Demps.  On top of all that we have slot receiver Andre Debose who was one of our most heralded recruits last season (figured to replace Percy Harvin) that sat out last season because of injury, but is healthy now.  You can expect both Rainey and Debose to get some carries out of the back.

Rainey and Debose will be stand outs at receiver and they'll have a strong supporting cast behind them.  I won't argue they'll need to prove themselves though.

Jordan Reed and Desmond Parks will be stand outs at TE.  Jordan Reed was a dual threat QB in high school so expect to see some shenanigans from him (sliding over to QB for some spread option plays) and probably some trick plays here and there running and/or passing out of the backfield.  As you said, they and the other TEs are all Freshmen, so won't argue that they'll need to prove themselves as well.

The Defense still has some solid players/leaders returning and some ridiculous new talent coming in, but it is definitely the biggest question mark.  How they come together over the course of the season will be a big factor in how successful the team is.

I think Florida is a solid #3, but of course I'm biased!  GO GATORS!

most often known as Drevik
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 11:25:31 AM

I think one national title spot will be sewed up by Florida versus Alabama in the SEC title game, just like last year.  I think Florida may even improve a little on offense, compared to Tebow.  Tebowball had gotten stale.  People could predict what he was going to do to easily.  That didn't mean they could stop him, but it was much tougher on him as he finished his career. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 10, 2010, 11:44:04 AM

As for Florida, I think their ranking is a bit high. 

The offensive line will have a tough job in replacing Maurkice Pouncey.  This problem is compounded by the fact that the line already gave up 30 sacks in 2009.

The defense should remain strong but could take a hit with the losses of defensive leaders Joe Haden and Brandon Spikes.

I grant you that Florida will be a very talented team in 2010, but it will also be full of inexperience.  This inexperience could cost them as many as 3 or 4 games while having to face more experienced squads such as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida State. 

Florida will still be one of the better teams in the nation, but a number three ranking seems like a bit of a stretch for such an unproven quantity.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #123 on: August 10, 2010, 11:59:07 AM

The offensive line will have a tough job in replacing Maurkice Pouncey.  This problem is compounded by the fact that the line already gave up 30 sacks in 2009.

True.  However, defenses had absolutely no fear of Tebow throwing the ball by the time he was a senior.  That pumped that sack number up. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:04 PM

True.  However, defenses had absolutely no fear of Tebow throwing the ball by the time he was a senior.  That pumped that sack number up. 

Good point.  To be honest, I'm just a Florida hater and tried to disguise it by being semi-objective.  I similarly think that Ohio State is overrated, but like the potential that they have.  Ohio State will have a tough time with the other 3 high quality teams in the Big 10 (though I think Wisconsin is also a tad overrated as well). 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #125 on: August 10, 2010, 12:19:25 PM

Oh, I absolutely despise Florida, but I don't kid myself about how good they could be.  I'm thinking tOSU may have a breakout year, if Tressel can get his head out of his ass and play Pryor the way he ought to be played.  My wife's sister and her husband are huge OSU fans, and they drive me absolutely bonkers.  I just like good college football.  There's nothing else like it. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #126 on: August 10, 2010, 02:20:26 PM

Florida could be good, but let's not kid ourselves. Their entire ranking is based off last year's success and the potential they have in their recruits. Nobody really knows anything about any of their skill positions on offense. You're talking about brand new QB, RBs, WRs, and TEs, not to mention replacements on the line.

Would any other team in the nation get that kind of respect when they were wholesale replacing their entire offense? Hell no.

EDIT: Well maybe Notre Dame.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 13, 2010, 12:08:32 PM

Interesting little blurb about agents in College Football:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/08/urban-meyer-loved-conference-call-with-coaches-nfl-commish-about-agents/1

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer said after Friday's morning practice that he came away pleased with a conference call he recently participated in, involving NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Alabama coach Nick Saban, Oklahoma's Bobby Stoops, Ohio State's Jim Tressel, Mack Brown of Texas and several agents plus NFLPA representatives.

The conversation was set up to discuss a growing problem with agents that escalated this summer with several star players around the country involved. Florida's Maurkice Pouncey has been accused of taking $100,000 from an agent while still in college, which the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2010 first-round pick denies.

"I loved it,'' Meyer said of the conference call. "I loved the fact that you have everybody involved and everybody wanting to do right. There were actually some agents on the phone and NFLPA on the phone, there was the commissioner and some college football coaches. And it was about as positive as you can get because everybody wants to do right. The cool thing is that you get stereotyped, the agents, the coaches, the players. At the end of the day obviously there are people who don't want to do right but the majority I would say want to do it right.''

Meyer didn't give specific details about what changes coaches want.

"I think, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure this thing out now, I mean you want to stop some kind of unethical, illegal activity,'' he said. "How do you do it, you punish them. And the players get punished and you want to stop the other side too because one (side) is going to get punished and deservedly so. And then the other side (agents need to) get punished. If there's no threat, it's almost like in recruiting, if there's no threat of a punishment go have at it. I mean there are certain people with integrity who do it the right way anyways. But a good chunk of them won't, because if there's no punishment have at it.

"So I think there's two . . . in recruiting there are some things going on too and then also this agents relations. So there are a lot of positives going around for the good of college football. We can't lose college football. We just can't lose college football.''

-- David Jones, Florida Today

It's encouraging that there's at least some talks going on.

most often known as Drevik
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #128 on: August 13, 2010, 09:57:45 PM

My lord Meyer sounds like a total mouthbreather in that quote.

Good on them for talking, but I don't see how the NFL ownership has anything to gain by punishing kids who deal with agents. Still, I'd think the players union would be hugely in favor of punishing them.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #129 on: August 14, 2010, 06:17:56 AM

My lord Meyer sounds like a total mouthbreather in that quote.

Good on them for talking, but I don't see how the NFL ownership has anything to gain by punishing kids who deal with agents. Still, I'd think the players union would be hugely in favor of punishing them.

Holy crap, did he ever. 

Why would the players Union care?  I don't see why it would matter to them, either.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 14, 2010, 09:15:39 PM

Rogue agents cause problems for them in their collective bargaining.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #131 on: August 14, 2010, 10:15:11 PM

Rogue agents cause problems for them in their collective bargaining.

Bingo.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:54 PM

I don't know if this is getting much play out there in the larger universe but there are serious lulz afoot concerning BYU and the MWC and WAC.

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:51 AM

12 days 5 hours 33 minutes

No way in hell Bama repeats.  I'm not even sure we get back to the SEC Championship. 

Defense is going to be shaky as there's no way in hell you can replace 13 major contributors and expect the kind of defense we had last year; I don't care how well Saban and Co recruited.  Offense is back, but it's not like it was a stellar offense last year to begin with, despite Ingam winning the Heisman.  To top it off?  Both the place kicker and punter are gone. 

We won't get the breaks we got last year that's necessary to have that kind of run.  Will be lucky to go 9-4. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #134 on: August 23, 2010, 10:46:44 AM

12 days 5 hours 33 minutes
Will be lucky to go 9-4. 

I realize you are playing the role of the fan here, but that is just crazy talk.  I think 1-2 losses at most for this Bama team. 

That being said, I think Arkansas will surprise some folks this year.  They have a top notch quarterback and a coach that is going to use him appropriately.  Auburn is overrated by most (Herbstreit said they would win the division, guffaw) and that is really the only competition Bama has for the division, in my opinion.  The Florida game will be tough, but it is in Tuscaloosa.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 23, 2010, 11:03:50 AM

I honestly see a loss to Arkansas, Florida, and (gasp) Auburn, plus one other along the way (or maybe the bowl game).  Defense and special teams are the weak points.  The offense showed a tendency to go into the tank a few times last year only to be saved by the aforementioned decimated defense and special teams.  Their road schedule has them at Arkasas, South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU.  And every single SEC team has a bye week before playing Bama (except maybe one).  Arkansas isn't exactly a brutal place to play, but SC, UT, and LSU are definately hostile places to play.  They've got a tough road ahead of them.

Arkansas is going to light some people up this year.
Florida is going to surprise EVERYONE.
Auburn is coming on really freaking strong.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #136 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:32 AM

Don't underestimate Saban.  The guy is a hell of a coach.   I'm sure special teams and defense will be fine. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #137 on: August 23, 2010, 11:22:48 AM

I'm just glad my Bulldogs don't play Bama this year. We actually have a very cupcake schedule. The hard games are going to be SC on the road, Arkansas at home, Florida on the road, and Auburn on the road. We don't have to face LSU or Alabama, we don't have to worry too much about a decimated Tennessee team at home (unless we are really shitty, and if that's the case, who cares about the rest of the matchups), and the rest of our road games are against sub-25 opponents (Colorado, Miss State, Kentucky).

Win against South Carolina and Arkansas, and Georgia will be a guaranteed 5-0 in time for the Tennessee home game. If we're rolling past Tennessee at 6-0, it's a guaranteed 8-0 in time for Florida. If that's the case, that game decides the division. I can only dream about being 8-0 at that point, but we'll see.  awesome, for real

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 23, 2010, 12:21:00 PM

Win against South Carolina and Arkansas, and Georgia will be a guaranteed 5-0 in time for the Tennessee home game.

I'm guessing this is a typo? The bulldogs can't play themselves.  I also expect Arkansas to be better than their ranking suggests if the new QB from Michigan turns out to be as good as my sources tell me.

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #139 on: August 23, 2010, 01:04:05 PM

Just backwards wording. We will be undefeated 5-0 if we beat Arkansas and South Carolina. The other teams are pushovers.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: