Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 398889 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: July 08, 2010, 08:39:03 AM

Hmmm.

Blizzard's not really a gaming company anymore. At least, not primarily. Service company that makes games seems like.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: July 08, 2010, 08:40:11 AM

Already had one guild member say if it gets implemented they'll be canceling. If this information is available from in-game tools (you can sort of opt-out of the forums) I can't say I blame him. I also can't see any advantage to gamers from their implementation. Having a system so you can link your wow user name to your facebook is fine, it's a feature. Making it so you have to leak personal information, given to them for the exclusive purposes of billing, just to play the game is flat out retarded.

I can't tell if it's Blizzard getting fat and stupid from lack of competition, Activision running out of new ways to be evil or some horrific merge of both.

My old guild already had multiple cancellations, and it hasn't even gone live as a change yet.  As for myself, Catacylsm is out, and so are any future Blizzard titles.  On the plus side, Torchlight is probably going to get a lot of new fans.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #387 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:36 AM

Dude.  Do you realize how ironic your post is?

Anyway.  It's not really hyperbole.  They're going to sell you shit on Facebook.  Plan on it.

No, I don't.  I mean, I see why you THINK it is.  But it's not.

Edit:  They've been selling shit on B.net for years.  Note the huge ad banner on top.

Nice.  That banner doesn't have any personal information, and neither does your old handle on B.net.  Facebook does.  It's not simply a matter of not posting on forums.  There's more.  If this works for Blizzard, then what's to stop every swinging dick from using Facebook as a login platform for their games.  Think of the ease at which they'll be able to moderate their forums!  That's not what this is about, guy. 

OH.  But think of how awesome it will be to live in a world where everyone's video game achievements are spammed on their Facebook accounts.  It will force everyone to look at us deviant gamers in a different light when they realize just how many of us there are.  But yea, I can opt out still, I guess.  When I whack a foozle and the Facebook window comes up and asks me if I'd like to share this glorious achievement with everyone I know, I can just click no.  How awesome does that sound?  Come on.

You just killed your 100th skeleton!  Would you like to share this accomplishment with your friends?

"Sorry you guys died there.  Facebook window popped up."

All that shit you just mentioned?  It could happen one day.  But it probably won't. 
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:16 AM

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole.  Slippery slope argument is like, the most elemental fucknut argument that everyone learned in freshman debate class.  All anyone ever does is string out the opposing side of the argument they don't like into its most absurdly cruel stretch of the imagination.  

Randomly accusing people of 'slipperly slope argument'  and 'hyperbole' without specifying what is supposedly hyperbole or slippery slope is like, the most elemental forum warrior argument that everyone learned in reading a list of logical fallacies. All anyone ever does is accuse the opposing side of some kind of fallacy without justifying it, then act like they one the argument.

Of course there will be people who shy away from positive contributions due to privacy concerns.  And of course there will still be plenty of people willing to post class guides and protips.  But the potential for massively undercutting all the rampant and flagrant douchebaggery is staggering.  If you remove all that douchebaggery the forums become vastly more usable for finding news and information.

No one has yet to provide any reason to believe that this change will actually remove douchbaggery from the forums. Some people have an account in another person's name, some used a fake name to register, some will create a fake name, some just don't care. I'm not sure how you expect this to make the forums more useful for finding news, since they sticky any news announcements, and you can go to a blue tracker site if you just want to see Blizzard's posts.

You also haven't provided an explanation of why you think that plenty of people will be willing to post class guides and tips. There are already only a limited number of people writing class guides, and many of them have not been updated in quite some time, so it doesn't sound like there are 'plenty' at the moment even without the changes. Instead of having 'anyone who plays and looks at the forums' giving protips, you reduce the pool to 'anyone who plays and looks at the forums and doesn't mind posting under their real name', which is a lot fewer people. Have you taken my 'post your name on the official forums stating that you don't think releasing names is a problem' challenge yet?

If you burn your house to the ground, the potential for termite damage is much less. It's still not a good plan. Releasing personal information about everyone who plays in order to stop people who might not have entered their real personal information from trolling is not a good plan.

Please asswipe.  Every third post here is slippery slope.  If you honestly believe that having some level of accountability on the forums won't improve the atmosphere then you're fucking delusional.  Blizzard is assuming there will be casualties, that some good posters will no longer do so.  They are also assuming that there will still be dipshits running around.  But it's a pretty safe gamble that the great weight of these two things will pan out the way they intend.  It's just human nature really.

*edit
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:50:47 AM by dusematic »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:35 AM

I honestly believe that it will have an immediate positive effect followed by a long term major negative effect on the forum users. Because, well, giving out personal information to anonymous people on the internet does not end well.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: July 08, 2010, 08:50:13 AM

Duse.  Dude.  You're wasting your time fighting against evil trolling trolls.  First, this isn't about trolling.  And second, you're trolling right now.  I've come to love that about you.

You're okay with them ignoring pretty blatant security issues because they want to adhere to Facebook's anti-anonymous posture, and not-coincidentally, have boat loads of money shot straight up their asses.  It's not a defend-able position.

AKA Gyoza
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:48 AM

My understanding is that even if you do post you don't have to import your Facebook friends list or use any of that functionality.  I'm just saying that if it cleans up the boards and makes them civil, then it's genius.  Fuck the fallout.  If it doesn't?  Then obviously the Internet Fuckwad Theory is flawed, human nature is broken beyond repair, and I'm a giant dildo.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: July 08, 2010, 08:57:36 AM

Internet does the predictable: http://asnowstormbyanyothername.blogspot.com/

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:25 AM

You are a fucking grade A idiot if you think the forums have anything to do with the real motivations behind any of this.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:26 AM

I bet Bioware is kicking themselves that SWTOR isn't going live anytime soon. 

Bioware: "We're like them, but we don't force you to use your real name!"  MArketing gold.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:55 AM

You are a fucking grade A idiot if you think the forums have anything to do with the real motivations behind any of this.

Part of my point is that I don't care the motivation behind it.  If someone's motivation was to take over the world by making Raisinets fall from the sky, I'd feel the same way.  Because Raisinets are awesome.

**By the way, 95% of the people most upset about this are going to quietly buy the game and play it anyway, enjoy themselves thoroughly, and carry on about their lives with zero ill effects.  God forbid they post somewhere else (which they certainly already do).  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:05:13 AM by dusematic »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:02 AM

Part of my point is that I don't care the motivation behind it.  If someone's motivation was to take over the world by making Raisinets fall from the sky, I'd feel the same way.  Because Raisinets are awesome.

You are a fucking grade A idiot
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:40 AM

And you'd still be an idiot eating Raisinets.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: July 08, 2010, 09:04:30 AM

And you'd still be an idiot eating Raisinets.

What are you trying to say?  That you're a Goobers man?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: July 08, 2010, 09:05:52 AM

I'm trying to say choke on cocks. You're a solipsist of the worst sort.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: July 08, 2010, 09:06:42 AM

All that shit you just mentioned?  It could happen one day.  But it probably won't. 

Um aren't PS3 achievements and whatnot already able to be spammed on facebook if the user enables it?  It's not that inconcievable that Blizzard would do this as well.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:27 AM

That's a lot different than it being required. Who cares if they have it if it's an optional service that you can either use or don't use at your discretion?

beer geek.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:32 AM

I'm trying to say choke on cocks. You're a solipsist of the worst sort.

lol, I wish.  Listen up terds.  This is a business.  They want to make money.  So all of your conspiracy theories about Blizzard doing this for money?  NO SHIT.  The fact of the matter is, that even if this move made the official forums a damned paradise, you'd still be against it on some sort of political or philosophical ground based on your right to post anonymously and unfettered on Blizzard's official forums.  I mean fuck, some MMOs haven't even had official forums.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: July 08, 2010, 09:11:23 AM

Thread on the forums is reaching 11k posts in only a couple days/

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:16 AM

lol, I wish.  Listen up terds.  This is a business.  They want to make money.  So all of your conspiracy theories about Blizzard doing this for money?  NO SHIT.  The fact of the matter is, that even if this move made the official forums a damned paradise, you'd still be against it on some sort of political or philosophical ground based on your right to post anonymously and unfettered on Blizzard's official forums.  I mean fuck, some MMOs haven't even had official forums.

Yes, its called principled opposition.  The reasons for it have been chronicles pretty thoroughly in this thread.  I guess you've never thought about ethics for more than 3 minutes in your entire life.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: July 08, 2010, 09:15:17 AM

So this is really a moral crusade that all you guys are on?  It's a God given right to post for free on Blizzard's official forums.  I get it.

awesome, for real

Just kidding around.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  If the forums still suck when this goes live I'll try to care more.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: July 08, 2010, 09:18:53 AM

My understanding is that even if you do post you don't have to import your Facebook friends list or use any of that functionality.  I'm just saying that if it cleans up the boards and makes them civil, then it's genius.  Fuck the fallout.  If it doesn't?  Then obviously the Internet Fuckwad Theory is flawed, human nature is broken beyond repair, and I'm a giant dildo.

How many bags of shitfertilizer  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? can I mail to your home address. Just give me your first and last name.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: July 08, 2010, 09:20:02 AM

So this is really a moral crusade that all you guys are on?  It's a God given right to post for free on Blizzard's official forums.  I get it.

awesome, for real

Just kidding around.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  If the forums still suck when this goes live I'll try to care more.

If you seriously think thats the long and short of it you are an idiot, as others have already pointed out.  Either that or you're being willfully ignorant.  Either way, I'm done talking to you.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: July 08, 2010, 09:21:09 AM

realID for f13 go go go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:43 AM

Your blizzard account gets hacked.  Person uses your hacked account to post on forums.

Yep.  No possible issues resulting from your real name used in that situation.

why so serious?
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:50 AM

Your blizzard account gets hacked.  Person uses your hacked account to post on forums.

Yep.  No possible issues resulting from your real name used in that situation.

why so serious?

That's actually the first realistic and valid concern I've heard.  Good point. 
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28:00 AM

Oh besides it being very easy to locate your house by typing in your first and last name on google?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: July 08, 2010, 09:31:44 AM

Or stalkers which many of us or friends have actually dealt with?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:21 AM

You haven't been paying attention, for dusematic, concerns are only legitmate if they seem likely to happen to him, and only if they outway the awesomeness of troll free forums. awesome, for real
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:23 AM

You haven't been paying attention, for dusematic, concerns are only legitmate if they seem likely to happen to him, and only if they outway the awesomeness of troll free forums. awesome, for real

That's fair to say.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:44 AM

Why would you want a troll free forum?  You wouldn't be allowed to participate.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: July 08, 2010, 09:43:31 AM

Why would you want a troll free forum?  You wouldn't be allowed to participate.

Genuinely laughed out loud on that one. 
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: July 08, 2010, 09:47:39 AM

I really don't understand why there's not a pseudonym option.

The real rage from this is its a game people have vested time in and they are shifting to the RealID dragging the users kicking and screaming. The arguments for "well you use your real name for xyz" doesn't serve any purpose. In order to use Facebook per example you know from the initial sign up your real world details are going to be shared. Activision/Blizzard/Vivendi are basically forcing all players to broadcast their user data to world or their partners with no opt out.

Under Canadian PIPEDA law's I wonder how this is going to work. I'm going to file an official request today for information related to my account and petition a request to service without using my real name as its covered by our laws.
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:12 AM

Please asswipe.  Every third post here is slippery slope.

Just shouting the name of a logical fallacy doesn't show that someone is using that fallacy. BTW, which of the three posts following yours is a slippery slope?

If you honestly believe that having some level of accountability on the forums won't improve the atmosphere then you're fucking delusional.

I've given reasons for my belief, all you've done is swear and insist that you're right. It's very easy for someone who wants to troll to avoid using their real name (fake name on account, get an account just for trolling, bought/traded an account from someone else years ago), and a lot of trolls simply don't care, while legitimate posters are more likely to have only an account they care about and won't want to pay $15/month just to talk on forums. Which group of people is more likely to have bought their account, used a fake name, have an account under a parent's name, or is willing to spend $15/month on a fresh account just to post - long time legitimate players, or kids who want to cause trouble?

Just the "accountability" you gain by linking game things to real info is something I'd oppose in and of itself. As far as I can tell, it appears to consist either of harassment by other forum posters, or people in non-game contexts responding badly to game related posts. Do you really support accountability through harassment antics? Is there some other form of accountability that I'm missing? Who do you think fears that accountability, thinking people who would provide the good information you're hoping for, or immature people who like to harass people? How does this 'accountability' target the right person when you don't have to present ID to open an account and there's no ID check to be sure of who owns old traded, sold, or stolen accounts?
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: July 08, 2010, 09:51:27 AM

I really don't understand why there's not a pseudonym option.

The real rage from this is its a game people have vested time in and they are shifting to the RealID dragging the users kicking and screaming. The arguments for "well you use your real name for xyz" doesn't serve any purpose. In order to use Facebook per example you know from the initial sign up your real world details are going to be shared. Activision/Blizzard/Vivendi are basically forcing all players to broadcast their user data to world or their partners with no opt out.

Under Canadian PIPEDA law's I wonder how this is going to work. I'm going to file an official request today for information related to my account and petition a request to service without using my real name as its covered by our laws.

This is just for the Starcraft 2 forums if I'm not mistaken.  My understanding from everything they've said, is that you will go in knowing full well what the deal is.  Old forums won't carry over.  So you can choose to participate or not going in.  That said, if you choose not to, then there is not much of a problem unless you just can't get enough of posting on the official forums. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:55:42 AM by dusematic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: