Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 398859 times)
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: July 07, 2010, 06:39:59 AM

There are times I'm glad I have about the world's most pedestrian/common name(s).

Ditto.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: July 07, 2010, 07:03:08 AM

I wonder whats next? Perhaps they will migrate the old forum posting data over to the new forums with no choice.  why so serious?
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:31 AM

There are times I'm glad I have about the world's most pedestrian/common name(s).

I just feel bad for people with names that gamers will make jokes about.  I mean surely there's some Mike Hunts, Peter Gozinyas, and Heather Feltersnatchs out there right?

Female perspective?
http://www.metafilter.com/93492/But-my-name-really-is-Deathblood-Blackaxe#3171416
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:19:49 AM by Outlawedprod »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:23 AM

I like how Real ID went from "something you only use for your in real life friends you already know" to global identifier in all of two weeks.

Ohhhhh, I see.

don't worry it sounds worth than it really is  awesome, for real
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #179 on: July 07, 2010, 07:33:22 AM

Can they ban you from the forums if your legal name really is Adolf Hitler?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 07, 2010, 07:36:06 AM

When did you develop a lisp?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 07, 2010, 07:42:14 AM

When did you develop a lisp?

The lisp is for wow threads and clowns shoes threads, which this thread has a 2 for one special one  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #182 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:13 AM

I get the feeling that I'm going to need a RealID just to log into the single player version of Diablo 3. But it's all so I can have the opportunity to post about my successes to Facebook. That's it. No other reason. Don't look behind the curtain.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 07, 2010, 08:00:49 AM

I get the feeling that I'm going to need a RealID just to log into the single player version of Diablo 3. But it's all so I can have the opportunity to post about my successes to Facebook. That's it. No other reason. Don't look behind the curtain.

Yeah, I think its about social network (facebook) integration.  Its already in the SC2 beta, and I'm sure its going to be part of Diablo 3.   Frankly, I think this is the end of buying Blizzard products for me.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 07, 2010, 08:26:42 AM

btw, you can turn off the facebook <-> starcraft friendlist sync thing. Account -> Privacy Settings -> Custom -> Customize Settings -> under "Contact Infomration" youremail -> only me -> save :)

I won't have people from high school adding me and going LETS PLAY 2S! Awesome :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 07, 2010, 08:31:44 AM

btw, you can turn off the facebook <-> starcraft friendlist sync thing. Account -> Privacy Settings -> Custom -> Customize Settings -> under "Contact Infomration" youremail -> only me -> save :)

I won't have people from high school adding me and going LETS PLAY 2S! Awesome :)

Oh I don't have a facebook account anyway, so that isn't the problem. Its just the overall direction that bothers me.  Then again, I was upset with SC2 when there would be no chat in bnet 2.0.  Then they announced they would add chat.  If they take this back, I'll consider getting on board again, if they don't, well, I've got plenty of other good games to play.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 07, 2010, 11:01:51 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:52 AM

It's going to be amazing to watch the reaction from Blizzard when the first "Tracking from SC2/WoW via Facebook to RL" murder happens.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #188 on: July 07, 2010, 11:10:42 AM

It's going to be amazing to watch the reaction from Blizzard when the first "Tracking from SC2/WoW via Facebook to RL" murder happens.
I have to wonder if their PR people are shitting bricks in anticipation of headlines like "Man beaten up over a computer game thanks to company revealing his personal data".
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 07, 2010, 11:13:05 AM

Man beaten up? Oh no...it'll be much, much worse than that.  This opens the door for a lot of nastiness.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:39 AM

but not for Blizzard employees, apparently
This post WILL get deleted, Im just trying to get this information out so other people will realize how much Blizzard is screwing us over.

After a long talk with a few Blizzard phone reps, it turns out BLUES will NOT have their real names posted in the forums due to "Security Concerns." Blues are free to hide from the nightmare RealID will turn these forums into, and yet we, the paying customers, will be forced into it?

Thats right everyone, YOU will have to reveal your real name in order to post on these forums. Blues, on the other hand "Cannot risk having their personal lives compromised by in-game issues" (Thanks, Josh with no last name - thats a gem).

I have already canceled my account and filed a complaint with the ESRB about all of this, I suggest you do the same.

E: Muad'dib, we have mediasign - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10543100.stm
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:54:44 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:47 AM

I find it difficult to believe that random people on the Blizzard phone line have any idea what the policy will be for something that is months away and has just generated such a shitstorm.   I find it much easier to believe this person made up & posted something in the hopes of provoking a statement from Blizzard one way or the other.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:12 AM

I'm now really hoping this thing goes through, just so I can enjoy all the butthurt.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: July 07, 2010, 11:57:02 AM

I'm now really hoping this thing goes through, just so I can enjoy all the butthurt.
Post your RL name.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:09 PM

I already post on a forum with my real life name.  Why would I care?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

One World of Warcraft player, Jim Brand, contacted BBC News to say how disappointed he was over the change.

"I have been using the forums for over five years, reporting bugs and trying to be helpful. Now, to have the privilege to help people on the forums I have to reveal my real name; I'm dead against it," he said.

"I work in a charity and deal with governments officials. If they do a search and see I am a gamer, it could affect my employment prospects," he added.

Ohhhhh, I see.

beer geek.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17:06 PM

Incidentally, that story is now the third most read on the BBC News page.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #197 on: July 07, 2010, 12:18:14 PM

I already post on a forum with my real life name.  Why would I care?

Because that's an obscure environment where doubtless few people give a shit. It's way different than having all your gaming habits posted to a Facebook account for every friend and potential client/employer to gaggle about what you might do in your free time. It could be used for any number of ridiculous things from harassment to racism to RL insanity, not to mention the inevitable hackings involved with having email addresses, real names, and credit cards all tied together in neat little packages.

The truth is, even if there's nothing that you believe is horribly invasive about the policy, it's still providing more data than is necessary to play a fucking game. They don't need to make any of our real life data public for the game to function. It's a needless risk for almost no real reward.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:20:00 PM by Paelos »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: July 07, 2010, 12:27:11 PM

One World of Warcraft player, Jim Brand, contacted BBC News to say how disappointed he was over the change.

"I have been using the forums for over five years, reporting bugs and trying to be helpful. Now, to have the privilege to help people on the forums I have to reveal my real name; I'm dead against it," he said.

"I work in a charity and deal with governments officials. If they do a search and see I am a gamer, it could affect my employment prospects," he added.

Ohhhhh, I see.

need a bigger  Facepalm

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:21 PM

The truth is, even if there's nothing that you believe is horribly invasive about the policy, it's still providing more data than is necessary to play a fucking game. They don't need to make any of our real life data public for the game to function. It's a needless risk for almost no real reward.

That's a bit like saying FrontierVille shouldn't be spammy.  It is what it is.

Going forward you can either play with most of the Real ID-stuff turned off or just play something else.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:01 PM

If I'm forced to use my RL name, then I think I should make sure all my RL causes are prominently displayed, too.  Time for... The GLBT Avenger!  Which will probably lead to some homophobe murdering me because they can track me down with a ten second search.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:30 PM

Absolutely. Our goal and vision in this partnership is to really to cross-populate the social networks and to easily find and add your friends from Facebook onto the new Battle.net service as the first step and extending it to other features in the future. … Later on, of course, we have lots of things we are talking about with Facebook. We haven't announced anything specific, but we have lots of ideas about ways to cross-populate and share data between the two services.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 07, 2010, 12:45:35 PM

Because that's an obscure environment where doubtless few people give a shit. It's way different than having all your gaming habits posted to a Facebook account for every friend and potential client/employer to gaggle about what you might do in your free time.
It'd be posting to my Facebook account...in a feature I can turn off. 

It could be used for any number of ridiculous things from harassment to racism to RL insanity, not to mention the inevitable hackings involved with having email addresses, real names, and credit cards all tied together in neat little packages.
That shit's already a fuckstorm prior to this. 

You can play the game fucking fine without revealing RealID shit.  Or is posting on the forums the new game? 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:08 PM

Absolutely. Our goal and vision in this partnership is to really to cross-populate the social networks and to easily find and add your friends from Facebook onto the new Battle.net service as the first step and extending it to other features in the future. … Later on, of course, we have lots of things we are talking about with Facebook. We haven't announced anything specific, but we have lots of ideas about ways to cross-populate and share data between the two services.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

This shouldn't come as a surprise, ever since they mentioned it being added to the SC2 beta, which was probably at least 2 months ago now, and maybe longer, it was pretty obvious they were going to go in this direction.  I think the real names on the forums thing is a particularly bad result and is rightly angering people, but it shouldn't be surprising that they want to integrate battle net with facebook in general.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: July 07, 2010, 12:52:57 PM

You can play the game fucking fine without revealing RealID shit.
WRONG but thank you for playing.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53:22 PM

I just wonder how long until someone goes to someone's real house and beats them up because of this.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: July 07, 2010, 12:57:52 PM

Well then that shit needs to be fixed.

The rest of it, again, why the fuck would I care?  Was everyone here a WoW forum warrior or something?  I never touched the damn thing.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:37 PM

Why is that even a problem? It's like trying to blame firefox for suspect plugins. In either case the solution is simple, don't download and run shit you don't trust.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #208 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:13 PM

The rest of it, again, why the fuck would I care?  Was everyone here a WoW forum warrior or something?  I never touched the damn thing.

Here's my real fear:

This shit is only "optional" now because they are testing it in the WoW community before they release the other games. What they want to do is force to sign up for a Battlenet account and access the game with a persistent internet connection that displays your real name when you're logged in, so they can tell who is trying to pirate their precious game, and get paid by their facebook partners. That's not optional. That's where this is heading.

Tinfoil Hat

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:38 PM

And who the hell is forcing anyone to play that?

That's really what I don't get about the slippery slope-type arguments.  It's not like there aren't alternatives out there if Blizzard goes completely off the reservation.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: