Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 134224 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #245 on: May 30, 2010, 03:17:30 AM

I want to see an f13 vendetta! It sounds way more awesome than what I usually have, namely crabby-nerd internet slapfights that usually culminate with someone going "..buh... muh... well UO SUCKS!" and then waiting to see if I headbutt my monitor in fury and die.

He's just ROLEPLAYING a Wild West Vendetta.  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: May 30, 2010, 07:29:47 AM

holy fuck do I suck at this game

You can set the Targeting option to Casual, if you're having trouble aiming.  If you switch to multiplayer, you have to set that option as well, separately.

I had trouble with some of the controls at first - the tutorial/explanation/instructions weren't quite sufficient in explaining some things.

Since I accidently skipped the tutorial for dueling, I still have no idea how those work.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #247 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:08 AM

For dueling, simply wait for 'DRAW' to pop up, the LT or down/up on right stick, then when targetting click when the crosshair is white. For a disarm, paint a target on their gun, then head (if the first shot is a disarm, the rest don't fire) Better shots (gun hand, hat, head, heart) fill the meter so that you shoot first. Allegedly you can shoot their feet to make them drop their gun and dance, but it's never worked for me, nor has only shooting their hat off, though hat then head works fine. And you can't seem to disarm guys in most of the sidequest mandatory duels, the guy with the Terrible Colonel Klink accent shot me after I shot his gun, twice!

This has worked for me, but may be completely wrong.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:03 PM

Really enjoying the game.  I am a playing a lawman type bounty hunter.  It's very fun to hunt down criminals, even if a fucking cougar almost made me lose my last target!  Also enjoying the treasure hunting, not so much enjoying the cattle herding rancher stuff.  Favorite moment so far is when I have to kill four robbers and their whore pleads with me not to kill her.  I hesitate and she runs off and is promptly eaten by wolves.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Bloody wolves are wicked.  They are small, low, dark and don't show up on radar.  I think of them as the creatures from "Aliens".

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #249 on: May 30, 2010, 01:40:39 PM

holy fuck do I suck at this game

You can set the Targeting option to Casual, if you're having trouble aiming.  If you switch to multiplayer, you have to set that option as well, separately.

I had trouble with some of the controls at first - the tutorial/explanation/instructions weren't quite sufficient in explaining some things.

Since I accidently skipped the tutorial for dueling, I still have no idea how those work.

I have the targeting set to casual, yeah. WTB casual option for horse riding.  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #250 on: May 30, 2010, 04:38:45 PM

I have the targeting set to casual, yeah. WTB casual option for horse riding.  awesome, for real

Try changing the horse controls to camera relative.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: May 31, 2010, 01:52:14 PM

Try changing the horse controls to camera relative.

That helped a lot, thanks.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: June 01, 2010, 06:58:32 AM

This game is crazy good.  I ended up getting it for the PS3.  Though I have minor complaints about some of the control/targeting aspects and some annoying bugs (crashes) here and there, pretty much everything else about this game is outstanding.  I don't even like westerns and never played cowboys and indians.

I'm playing a rather law-abiding type, but I do have a question:  does the bandana you can buy (Thieve's Landing) really allow you to go on a murderous rampage without losing honor?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #253 on: June 01, 2010, 07:05:01 AM

This game is crazy good.  I ended up getting it for the PS3.  Though I have minor complaints about some of the control/targeting aspects and some annoying bugs (crashes) here and there, pretty much everything else about this game is outstanding.  I don't even like westerns and never played cowboys and indians.

I'm playing a rather law-abiding type, but I do have a question:  does the bandana you can buy (Thieve's Landing) really allow you to go on a murderous rampage without losing honor?

I went on a killing spree in Armadillo and killed every single deputy that came in after me - I holed up in the telegraph room in the train station. My bounty was up to $1200 and lost a good bit of honor, but not nearly enough to make me infamous. I did not use the bandana but I will give it a go later today.

I am making it a point to dispatch the clergy that preach outside the saloon in Armadillo. I beat the crap outta the priest, then took the rosary from the nun, punched the shit outta her, lassoed her ass and left her on the tracks in front of the station where I watched the train make her into a red mist. Fantastic game...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #254 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:25 AM

I tried to capture as many people as I could, to stack them up on the rails. Unfortunately, some wanker saw me lasso some guy and whined to the fuzz. I only got up to three, the aim was 20 :(

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:39 AM

It does prevent honor loss, but not bounties being placed on you if people see and report your crimes.

I tried to capture as many people as I could, to stack them up on the rails. Unfortunately, some wanker saw me lasso some guy and whined to the fuzz. I only got up to three, the aim was 20 :(

This is how I was testing my bandanna out, same thing happened. The worst part about it was that someone freed the ones I had on the tracks while I was out running the law. Damn people need to mind their own business since it's dangerous freeing people from the tracks. How do they know those people tied up didn't deserve it? Hell, one of them told me to slow down when I rode past them....the nerve.
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:10 AM

Possibly the funniest thing I have witnessed yet is some guy jumping off his horse, running over to some boulders, starts taking a piss and a pack of wolves come outta no where and ravage his ass as he runs screaming for help. I shot a few of the wolves, but the dude still had 2 on him. So I skinned them all and looted the guy's mauled body for $4.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I have yet to even get deep into the storyline quests... been having too much fun with bounties and that god damn poker has me hooked. Now about lassoing some wild animal and setting it loose in the saloon...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: June 01, 2010, 10:40:09 AM

The worst part about it was that someone freed the ones I had on the tracks while I was out running the law. Damn people need to mind their own business since it's dangerous freeing people from the tracks.

I never knew that could happen. That's awesome.

I went on a killing spree in Armadillo and killed every single deputy that came in after me - I holed up in the telegraph room in the train station. My bounty was up to $1200 and lost a good bit of honor, but not nearly enough to make me infamous. I did not use the bandana but I will give it a go later today.

One of the trailers talks about creating a ghost town if you kill enough residents, but I suspect that may be a point about the setting of the game rather than something the player can actually do. However, I think I'll find out.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #258 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:07 PM

Finally almost finished up all the challenges.  Just got the last plant gathering challenge to go , but that one is going to be a bit of a slog.
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 01, 2010, 01:50:11 PM

One of the trailers talks about creating a ghost town if you kill enough residents, but I suspect that may be a point about the setting of the game rather than something the player can actually do. However, I think I'll find out.

This is true. It was midday and everyone was gone and all the shops closed when I went on my rampage. Only returned to normal when I saved the game and came back.

Litigator
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: June 01, 2010, 02:29:05 PM

I am loving how fucked up the stranger missions are.  It's like a parody of the "go to this place and help me do this thing" quests in all these games, because half the quest-givers are insane and things always turn out badly.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #261 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:49 AM

We bought this.  I don't know who will fiddle with it first but probably Righ.  I've been having stressy eye headaches when I play stuff after a while, anyway.  I think a trip to the Ophthalmologist might be in order!  Maybe I need computer gaming goggles or something.   swamp poop

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #262 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:36 AM

We bought this.  I don't know who will fiddle with it first but probably Righ.  I've been having stressy eye headaches when I play stuff after a while, anyway.  I think a trip to the Ophthalmologist might be in order!  Maybe I need computer gaming goggles or something.   swamp poop

Will they fit under your helmet?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: June 02, 2010, 06:03:42 PM

Holy god, but this is fun. I didn't really like GTA 4 in part because I just didn't like the main character or his pals at all. I *like* Marsden--fantastic voice work, great dialogue.

I've been cleaning out the gamblers at poker again and again. I'm playing an honorable guy but I am really tempted to blow the antisemite store owner away. Unfortunately I know he'll just be back again. If you could kill him permanently, I'd lasso him, drag him out of town, and tie him to the railroad tracks.

I found Dead Eye a bit hard to use at first--I blew it when I was supposed to save some guy being hung by shooting the rope.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: June 02, 2010, 06:09:39 PM

His voice work is very good but I find the writing pretty inconsistent, personally. His reactions to losing the various gambling games are particularly great.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #265 on: June 02, 2010, 07:35:54 PM

Picked this up and dropped 8 hours straight into it night before last. I never got into GTA games, disliked the whole gangstarr vibe, but even though I'm not a huge Western genre fan I am enjoying the HELL out of this game. So far not too far in the story/missions as I keep getting distracted moseying around, killing and skinning wildlife, playing poker and horseshoes.

Good times. Easily worth the price of admission so far.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: June 03, 2010, 03:35:36 AM

I was the same way, not a fan of westerns but, wow, is this game good!  Once I made good money at bounty hunting, I don't skin much anymore.  I had avoided the story missions and now I've blown through about a dozen, good stuff.  I've found a bug!  The bartender in Chuparosa won't serve me a drink...or maybe it's because I'm a gringo.  Some of the story missions are very cinematic.  In one, you have to shoot your way through town to save someone.  It really felt urgent and movie-like.  But one of the other ones, a cart race, sucked!  Mainly because I sucked at it.  I gave up after about six tries, that's the only place I've skipped.

So much win.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #267 on: June 03, 2010, 04:28:54 AM

Finally finished the story today (have to finish off some bounty missions and one of the outfits to get to 100%).  I know a lot of people burned out on GTA IV before reaching the end, but there they weren't missing much.  I really hope most people manage to get to the end of the story here.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #268 on: June 03, 2010, 06:55:18 AM

Finally finished the story today (have to finish off some bounty missions and one of the outfits to get to 100%).  I know a lot of people burned out on GTA IV before reaching the end, but there they weren't missing much.  I really hope most people manage to get to the end of the story here.

Good to know.  I stalled out a little bit. I'll make sure to pick it back up once I can kick my SC2 beta habit.. or in 4 days when the beta ends.

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32:12 AM

Finishing Alan Wake put a pause to my Red Dead playing and I've been focusing heavily on League of Legends. Coming back to it felt awkward, especially multiplayer. I'll have to make an effort to finish Single Player.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #270 on: June 03, 2010, 08:45:14 AM

It seemed like cinematics got longer and longer, and more pointless as the plot advanced.
I mean, I've hit what I thought was the end of the main plot, and I'm only 80% complete. If 20% of the game is dicking about on my farm, it's a hell of an anticlimax.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:32 AM

About the last portion of the game:

Also

His voice work is very good but I find the writing pretty inconsistent, personally. His reactions to losing the various gambling games are particularly great.

What seemed odd to me is that John seems to become more unlikeable as the story goes on. He's really mean to the character called Uncle (not sure if it's really anyone's uncle or not).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:16:44 AM by palmer_eldritch »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: June 03, 2010, 10:08:06 AM

Might want to Spoiler Tag...

I didn't think that was going to happen, if that's what really happens.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:01 AM

Picked this up last night and had some fun with it today. I like the amount of side-quest type shit to do, really gives the game a worldly feel. I did however experience a lockup during one of the Marshall's missions (the 2nd one); had to power off the PS3. Music kept playing but otherwise totally unresponsive. Very frustrating; hope it auto-saved me somewhat recently.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: June 03, 2010, 11:55:47 AM

I would totally play a Red Dead Redemption mmo game. 

I haven't played that many console games, but this one is more immersive than any I've played.

(Why does the spell checker not like immersive?)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #275 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:29 PM

It seemed like cinematics got longer and longer, and more pointless as the plot advanced.
I mean, I've hit what I thought was the end of the main plot, and I'm only 80% complete. If 20% of the game is dicking about on my farm, it's a hell of an anticlimax.

Can't really say much without getting into spoilery stuff, but there's a reason for the farm missions near the end (I think there's 7 or 8 of them total) followed by kind of an epilogue stranger mission you get in Blackwater.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #276 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:25 PM

I've only just gotten to Mexico, but the shiny started to wear off, revealing the treadmill underneath:

Ride 5mins to get to mission start NPC.
Ride alongside them for 5mins, listening to either decent or cringe-worthy dialogue.
Press the widget.
Ride alongside them for another 5mins, again listening to either decent or cringe-worthy dialogue.
Possibly watch a cutscene.
Shoot 18 guys in the face.
Rinse, repeat.

Haven't played GTA4 yet beyond a few minutes, but Saints Row 1/2 and GTA3/VC/SA seemed to be less about long drives and short action. Perhaps I have the rose-coloured glasses, or their worlds were smaller, or filled with more interesting eye-candy, or that cars are faster, or a bit of all of the above. Probably a bit of the fact that pretty much anywhere can be a mission-starter or a hub in an urban game, while your options are more limited when you have half of Texifornivada to ride around in (BTW, is the Geography made up/"inspired by" or actually closely based on a real area?)

Not that other games don't (pretty much all) follow their only formula, but this one seems to be losing it's shine for me.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:45 PM

Man, it wouldn't feel anything like a Western without long rides through empty spaces. If anything the roads are a little too crowded with other people at times.

EDIT: It may be that from a pure gameplay standpoint that's not desirable, but I think they did a pretty good job striking a balance between the need for it to feel "right" pacing-wise and the need to keep the action junkies involved.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #278 on: June 03, 2010, 03:50:53 PM

Or you could just insta-travel there from the campfire.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: June 03, 2010, 04:41:05 PM

Or you could just insta-travel there from the campfire.

It took me a while before I realized that if I had a waypoint set I could insta-travel there from anywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: