Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 135025 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #315 on: June 12, 2010, 05:27:16 AM

I havent had a black screen crash, but my horse has gotten stuck once, and I've also had an NPC (the snake oil salesman) blipping in and out during 2 seperate cutscenes.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:59 AM

Many  of his comments were true and I had never thought of them.  I guess there's a mystical formula where the more you love a game, the more bugs and other crap you're willing to put up with.  Maybe time is a third factor, the more you play it the more the crap annoys you. 

If he doesn't like auto-aim, then he should turn it off.  All in all a fair review, but I think he's missing the point of a sandbox game.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:54 AM

Just an FYI to anyone waiting for the PC version of this....looks like its not happening.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/109/1096617p1.html

"PC gamers anxiously awaiting word from Rockstar Games on Red Dead Redemption should brace themselves: the developer said today that it is not working on a PC version of the Western shooter and it has no plans to bring Red Dead Redemption to PCs.

Answering questions on the Red Dead Redemption forum, Rockstar made its intentions clear: "As of now, there are no current plans to bring Red Dead Redemption to the PC platform. If that should change, we will let you know."
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #318 on: June 12, 2010, 02:32:28 PM

Which means they are, but it won't be for another year and it'll be the worst port ever.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #319 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:43 AM

All in all a fair review, but I think he's missing the point of a sandbox game.

The thing is that to me at least, RDR seems less sandboxy than games like SR1/2 and GTA:SA and also more formulaic. It seems like there's actually less to do overall, and money is very quickly reduced to meaninglessness. The writing is better than most/all sandboxes we've had before, and Marsden especially is a much more sympathetic and likeabe character than other Sandboxes have had, but the game itself seems less so.

fake edit - as I recall, he liked GTA4 at the time, and really liked Saints Row 2, mostly because of all the sandboxy dicking around.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: June 13, 2010, 12:23:58 PM

I am really enjoying the multiplayer game, although I understand the xp from gang hideouts was just nerfed.  Not really sure why, I'm about level 40 now, and have played a lot.  I don't know if I'll make it past 50 (once you go from 1 to 50, you start over again at 1 on Legendary, and then do that 2 more times for a total of 4 times, I think).

I would so love a western MMO like this one.  I just like being in this world, brown though it is.  The music and art are right up my alley.

I like cheap thrills, though, like riding up in a Stagecoach and blasting through Solomon's Folly, or trying to kill public enemies while driving a coach.   Running over AFKs.  Jollies.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: June 13, 2010, 05:00:11 PM

Is it wrong that I get so much joy out of watching a guy get drug by his stirrup when I shoot him off his horse?  Also love dueling, although sometimes I just skip shooting their gun and put 6 shots into their heads.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #322 on: June 13, 2010, 05:55:09 PM

Is it wrong that I get so much joy out of watching a guy get drug by his stirrup when I shoot him off his horse?  Also love dueling, although sometimes I just skip shooting their gun and put 6 shots into their heads.

If it is, then you can have a drink at my table. I find that shit funny as hell, bonus points if he is dragged into a fence and goes off tumbling.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #323 on: June 13, 2010, 10:09:40 PM

I would so love a western MMO like this one.  I just like being in this world, brown though it is.  The music and art are right up my alley.

A proper co-op mode would make this game brilliant.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #324 on: June 14, 2010, 12:33:53 AM

I'll happily lasso people and drag them along, giggling maniacally. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18:56 AM

If it is, then you can have a drink at my table. I find that shit funny as hell, bonus points if he is dragged into a fence and goes off tumbling.

I'll happily lasso people and drag them along, giggling maniacally. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm guilty of these things as well, it just never gets old. Also, me and a buddy who I play with have a tendency to shoot the other one's horse in the head while they're riding to watch them flip over. Or, after they call the horse we'll shoot it as they're about to get on. These give the same type of joy as watching someone being dragged.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:12 AM

A proper co-op mode would make this game brilliant.

This reminds me, any updates on the coop DLC that was to be released in June? The only thing I remember hearing about is that there would be about 6-8 missions that were free, I haven't heard how it will work (if it's separate from the regular campaign, more akin to free mode only with bounties, etc).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:21 AM

I missed the dueling tutorial the first time I had one and I can't figure out quite how to do it, I have to say.

I occasionally wish it was a bit clearer what was going on when I ride up on a random incident in the middle of nowhere. Yeah, yeah, I know, realistic, but when I ride up on gunshots in the middle of the night, I wish the participants were quicker to shout something like "We're the law, he's the bad guy" or something. Pretty often I end up blowing away the people I didn't want to blow away.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #328 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:55 PM

I missed the dueling tutorial the first time I had one and I can't figure out quite how to do it, I have to say.

I think someone explained in detail a few pages back.  I missed it also.  Basically what you do is hit your aim button (or I think press down on the right stick, haven't tried this method) when it says DRAW and your screen goes into the dead eye mode.  Then aim as normal.  You'll have to hit R1 to line up a shot when it's over a part of the body.  Hitting R1 over a high value body part (head) and when it's a white cursor fill up your meter on the right faster. Repeat marking areas with R1 until you run out of time. If the time goes out with your meter higher, you'll win.  Alternatively, you can also just shoot the gun out of their hand.

Finished it.  The ending was truly  ACK! just not as  ACK! as I thought it was going to be.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:27:22 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #329 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:30 PM

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #330 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:28 PM

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #331 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:57 PM

I hate how all the spoiler talk must look to people who haven't finished the game yet.  But too bad.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: June 15, 2010, 03:40:39 AM

As for dirty actions, I like to drag folks through the desert, shoot hats off and throw dynamite at stagecoaches.  If I can drag someone through a pack of wolves so much the better! 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #333 on: June 16, 2010, 05:51:51 AM

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: June 17, 2010, 08:00:05 AM

First free multiplayer co-op pack out next week. 

Outlaws to the End

In addition to the deep single player campaign and robust online multiplayer components of Red Dead Redemption, we are also very happy to finally reveal the game’s co-op mode, which will be released FREE in June simultaneously for both consoles via Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation®Network, respectively.

The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack will feature six all-new cooperative multiplayer missions to play with 2-4 players.  This will be a completely free download that we will have ready for you to download and play at some time in June.

These six explosive and epic missions will play out across the game world, including:

“Walton’s Gold”
Walton’s Gang have taken control of a mining camp rich with gold.  Fight through the camp and load your mine cart with as much gold as you can carry and get out as fast as you can – Walton’s boys have rigged the place to blow!

“The River”
Ride a raft down river, taking out rebel encampments along the way until you reach the rebel stronghold of Nosalida and a final epic battle for the town’s massive weapons caches. Watch out for Gatling gun-equipped enemy rafts.

“Ammunition”
The Mexican Army has the town of Tesoro Azul under siege.  Storm the gates under heavy cannon, Gatling gun and sniper fire to destroy the Mexican artillery placements.

Plus three more missions to be revealed in detail soon.

The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack will also yield additional multiplayer XP rewards, and brand new Achievements/Trophies to unlock.

Stay tuned for much more information – as well as release information and pricing on two further downloadable content updates, which we plan to release over the summer. Both of them will also be available simultaneously for both consoles.

more here:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/5211/first_red_dead_redemption_dlc_details_-_the_outlaws_to_the_end_co-op_mission_pack_coming_in_june_as_free_download.article

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:33 PM

Just finished the storyline after playing days of multiplayer.

I find multiplayer very compelling.  The single player storyline, not so much.  But even if this game didn't have a storyline, I'd still play it.

I don't know why but I love the actual gameplay.  The controls don't piss me off, and they feel nicely snappy.  I hate trying to go through doorways, and the acceleration function is a little lacking (pushing a button repeatedly to go faster) but those things are minor to me.

It seems like the horse thing, of catching and breaking them, must have been changed at some point.  Every time I catch a horse and break one, it saves something, but all the certificates are available except for the 3 best horses (until you catch/break them).  I think it would have been better if one started with one decent horse, because really there's little point in catching and breaking more than the 3 good ones.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:17 AM

Can a solo guy like me enjoy MP?  Easy to pick up groups?  Griefing?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: June 22, 2010, 10:43:13 AM

Can a solo guy like me enjoy MP?  Easy to pick up groups?  Griefing?

Sure.  Yep.  Yep.

There are also guilds for people to play in too, although there's no formal in game mechanism.  That takes a more dedicated approach to playing than I possess, however.  There's a forum for Red Dead Redemption here, if you're interested (with a subforum for multiplayer posses).
http://www.reddead.net/forums/

I play almost every day for at least a little bit, and manage to get groups most of the time.  Or I just start inviting people and get a group that way.

There are also pvp games to play (capture the bag, shootout, gang shootout) if you like that sort of thing.  I'm not very good at those, and I haven't spent much time in them.  They're ok, but some of them I hate.  The ones you get for casual targeting are randomly chosen, so the chances of playing games I hate is high, therefore I don't play them all that much.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: June 22, 2010, 01:32:48 PM

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:53 PM

12 MB.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:33 PM

So as part of the pre-order LE, I got the soundtrack.  Most of it is stuff that isn't great but not bad, but  is just excellent stuff.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: June 23, 2010, 07:00:54 AM

12 MB.  Ohhhhh, I see.

12mb on 360 I'm guessing? 15mb on PS3 had me a little worried about how good and fulfilling it will be, but I didn't take the time to try it out last night. Anyone with some thoughts on the new DLC coop pack?
fatboy
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: June 23, 2010, 07:19:29 AM

The co-op DLC pack is up on Live and PSN now.

I have not gotten the DLC yet.  Anyone have any problems with it? 

I read this morning on other sites the (some) people were having issues with it.  I.E. Multiplayer glitches, spawn issues, graphical issues.

If you don't want to hear the answer -- don't ask the question.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: June 23, 2010, 07:46:39 AM

It's shit.  So buggy that RDR multiplayer is basically unplayable - whether you get the DLC or not, it's totally fucked up right now.

If you want to exploit the bugs, go enter gang hideouts, kill the red dots if any appear or blow up crates if you see them and then get plenty of points for doing practically nothing.  But stay away from Gaptooth Ridge, because it will crash you practically every time.

Don't they test this stuff?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #344 on: June 23, 2010, 12:30:11 PM

12 MB.  Ohhhhh, I see.

12mb on 360 I'm guessing? 15mb on PS3 had me a little worried about how good and fulfilling it will be, but I didn't take the time to try it out last night. Anyone with some thoughts on the new DLC coop pack?

I'm assuming most of the content was already on the disc.  This was supposed to be stuff that shipped with the game originally, but they couldn't get done in time.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: June 23, 2010, 12:55:28 PM

I hadn't heard of that, but it makes sense Velo. Though Xan's post above yours is still supporting that 15mb wasn't large enough, or at least not done correctly, to fix what should have been out at release.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:19 PM

They fixed most of what was wrong already.

What was wrong was really, really wrong.  Seems like just minor bugs remain today.

I'm impressed with the dlc.  The missions are fun.

Now, if they can put in a train and lasso into multiplayer...
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: June 23, 2010, 03:40:58 PM

Glad to hear about the bug fixes. I also agree about the lasso + train, but there needs to be an escape method for players in the lasso. I wonder how they'd do that but also keep it so a player can actually lasso a player and have them held in the lasso without the captured just hitting a single button to get out of it.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: June 24, 2010, 08:59:23 PM

I also agree about the lasso + train, but there needs to be an escape method for players in the lasso. I wonder how they'd do that but also keep it so a player can actually lasso a player and have them held in the lasso without the captured just hitting a single button to get out of it.

Equip knife and attack 1x to release, which also puts the attacker's lasso on a 30s cooldown.  Problem solved.  Since the weapon switching is kind of stupid, it'll give the lasso user a little bit of time to do something retarded but not completely screw over the victim.  

That said, isn't CC generally considered poor form in multi (taking control from the player)?

To be honest, I just want them to put the card games in multi.  :/

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: June 25, 2010, 06:50:50 AM

Card games in multi would be decent. 

As for  CC, normally I'd agree it would be bad here but since this would require someone to sit and hold the lasso for a max of a couple seconds before the player can cut themselves free (assuming your solution posted) , that wouldn't be that bad. One idea I had that they could do though if they added the lasso, and something I wanted to see, is add in bounties in the lobby. Think about if someone clears an area, hogties the bounty npc, a server wide message announces it, and now the player has to get back to town with the bounty fighting both the regular spawns from the single player game, and the other players trying to steal that bounty from them. That is a small addition that could be fun imo.

The switch to knife -> attack 1x I could see working if they get lassoed. If they manage to be hogtied, instead of just lassoed, maybe only give attacking a 20% chance to break the tie?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: