Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 184394 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #840 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:27 AM

The best player scores the winning goal.

No.

Iniesta was most definitely NOT the best player on the pitch. Now, don't get me wrong, that was a fantastic goal, hard as hell to keep down with that fucking helium balloon ball they saddled the tourney with, but Iniesta wasn't the best player in that game at all. He made lots of great runs, he worked his ass off, but he should have had at least 3 goals. But it seemed like every time he got wide open for a shot, he had no confidence in his ability to finish. He muffed a lot of chances because of it. Ramos was more threatening in all of the games. Most of the midfield in Spain other than Alonso seemed to lack the same confidence in their shooting, Torres was bad rusty which is why Villa scored most of their goals.

I enjoyed the game, but it was ugly. Way too many fouls, way too many red cards, and way too much flopping. Iniesta was the worst Spanish diver, and he absolutely bought that second yellow for Heitinga. If that was a foul, Puyol should have gone off earlier for his tug on Robben. The Dutch really did play like fucking thugs, and it was quite disappointing because they are better than that. Van Bommel is lucky to have stayed on the pitch, and De Jong's Jackie Chan impression should have had him off twice over. That was ridiculous. Robben's festering gob should have gotten him into more trouble than that. And the refing wasn't bad, per se, it just wasn't consistent with the rest of the tourney.

I'm glad we don't have to see the Jabberwocky ball again, because it blew. I think it's absolutely the reason we had so few goals this Cup.

Hate to see Torres go down with that all too familiar to Liverpool fans tug on his hammy. It may mean he stays with Liverpool, which still means we need another striker for the half season he will miss when he tweaks it again.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #841 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:24 AM

Iniesta was most definitely NOT the best player on the pitch.

He's certainly a very likable player. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #842 on: July 12, 2010, 11:18:13 AM

Don't get me wrong, Iniesta is GOOD. But the last year, his goal production has dropped off a great deal, and his performances in the Cup made me think it was related to confidence. I'd take him on my team any day, so long as he stops the bitch-diving.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #843 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:11 PM

Gave me a new appreciation for the NBA and flopping around there. Wonder which sport came up with that first. Maybe its my lifelong influence of watching the violence in the NFL here in the US, but some of those flops were just embarrassing. Granted I am rather green when it comes to soccer at this stage, but rolling around looking for the ref wincing in pain and getting right back up and taking off at full pace would seem a bit suspect. Part of the game, I get that and I can accept it - but sheesh.

However... this piece of work seems to fit a penalty if not some walking papers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEZktAU9TA8

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: July 12, 2010, 01:17:12 PM

The ref seemed to me to be in a 'no fucking around give everyone a yellow for anything' mode for the whole game.  That's usually how they are for really big games.  However this game was exceedingly difficult for a ref, as there was a lot of bullshit going on.  He also seemed to be looking right at that play.  So I don't know how you don't give that a red, unless you blinked or something.  There was also a call where he issued a card for what looked like a non-foul only after the Spanish cried.  Maybe it was to make up for the lack of a red for the kung fu.  Either way, the refereeing was pretty consistent other than that.  I didn't come away feeling like the refs cost the Netherlands the game.  At the end of they day they deserved to be a man down for longer than they were.

And yea, overall other than the pretty good goal, and the couple of spectacular saves, the game itself was an embarrassment to the sport.  This sport needs to clean up flopping (and really clean itself up too) before it will ever grow.

AKA Gyoza
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #845 on: July 12, 2010, 01:34:58 PM

Everyone bitch dives, Haemish.  For a Spanish speaker he actually doesn't bitch dive quite nearly as often as one might think.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #846 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:27 PM

And yea, overall other than the pretty good goal, and the couple of spectacular saves, the game itself was an embarrassment to the sport.  This sport needs to clean up flopping (and really clean itself up too) before it will ever grow.

I've come to that conclusion as well. I think it will never ever take off in America until they get rid of the ridiculous dives or hold people accountable. The US wants athletes to be tougher, consider it a good attribute when people play with pain, and they love a guy who takes a hard shot, gets back up quick, and smiles at the defender like he was nothing. If you get a rep as a faker or a candyass in pro sports here, you're generally hated by all sides.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: July 12, 2010, 01:52:14 PM

Unless you're Derek Fisher.  And then you get showered with championship rings.

AKA Gyoza
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #848 on: July 12, 2010, 01:55:48 PM

or Paul Pierce
or Lebron James (elbowgate)
or Tom Brady

I wonder what FIFA will do, I'd bet on nothing at all but considering how big the numbers are and the chance of another massive world cup in the States soon you'd think they might want to try something to tidy things up a little bit.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #849 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:47 PM

If somebody is flopping around on the ground, thrashing around, they should give him a red card.  Call it the "your not man enough to be playing a sport" penalty.  Because guess what, know what happens when somebody gets seriously hurt in all other sports?  They curl into the fetal position or otherwise lay on the ground clutching the hurt appendage.  They DON'T fucking move around.  Because moving when your hurt causes even more pain (also means you could make the injury worst, something that's hammered into you from a young age).  Anybody thrashing around on the ground is in no way hurt, or are spectacular pansies.  Either way, eject them immediately.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:45 PM

Part of the difference between drawing a charge in basketball and flopping in soccer is that basketball has the restricted area (no charges 4ft from the basket) while soccer has these huge penalty boxes where a foul doesn't just get called, but becomes a free goal most of the time.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #851 on: July 12, 2010, 05:35:12 PM

This is probably the best case of American flopping.

Wojo Rocks
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: July 12, 2010, 05:55:02 PM

This is probably the best case of American flopping.

Wojo Rocks

that's not flopping that's getting your hand too close to a mans balls and the guy won't let go.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: July 12, 2010, 06:01:46 PM

No.

Iniesta was most definitely NOT the best player on the pitch....

Word.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: July 16, 2010, 03:03:35 PM

Fo'shizzle.

Shortie was bleak. As in reflecting.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #855 on: July 21, 2010, 12:40:43 PM

Torres was bad rusty which is why Villa scored most of their goals.

Not so sure.  I have not been a follower of Torres, though he is really good.  I like the article of Sid Lowe's covering Villa.  I think this year will be a good one for Barca.

I am a huge fan of Xavi.  He is just brilliant.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #856 on: July 21, 2010, 01:06:02 PM

I've watched Valencia since the '06/'07 season. Torres is faster than Villa, and probably a little more versatile in that he can head the ball better than Villa. But Villa is much more durable, and he can take corners if need be. I've seen Torres both at his best and when he's just coming back from injury (I've seen that a LOT lately). Trust me, he looked just like he always does when coming back from an injury, rusty, uncoordinated and lost. As for Villa, Barcelona got a goddamn BARGAIN for $50 million. If anyone could have deserved Ronaldo money getting thrown their way, it's Villa. I don't care what Real Madrid do in the transfer market, I can't see any reason Barca shouldn't walk to the fucking title this year.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #857 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:36 AM

Sep Blatter considering getting rid of ties at the world cup.  The funniest thing is that he "thinks" it may make the game more interesting. 

Sounds like a great idea to me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #858 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:39 AM

Facepalm

Fryderyk

Email
Reply #859 on: August 17, 2010, 04:47:49 AM

Spain won the world cup Nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010  
Jump to: