Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:51:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 183389 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: July 11, 2010, 01:50:38 PM

Ok, so the guy who got a BS card earlier gets another specious card to be ejected?

EDIT: Iniesta has this ref in his pocket. That is the third card given based on his playacting this match.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:52:48 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #806 on: July 11, 2010, 01:51:40 PM

He was being a dick the whole match, to be honest.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: July 11, 2010, 01:54:56 PM

A very useful dick at that. I don't mind the refereeing. It's by the book. If all games were done this way we'd see better football.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: July 11, 2010, 01:57:08 PM

The best player scores the winning goal.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #809 on: July 11, 2010, 01:57:11 PM

INIESTA!!!!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: July 11, 2010, 01:57:15 PM

Bah.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #811 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:13 PM

Well that's that... good picks Haem.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:10 PM

What an ugly game. swamp poop

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:32 PM

Talent wins over thuggery.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:43 PM

Iniesta was bloody amazing all game, so that was some sweet karma.  Good show.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #815 on: July 11, 2010, 02:11:01 PM

What an ugly game. swamp poop

One of the two things happened that I was praying wouldn't happen, a scoreless game after 60. If it had gone to penalties... I can only imagine how pissed off I'd be.

This game spit on the rest of the tournament.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:52 PM

It's really bad for football that this kind of play is what wins world championships. It's like both teams had a greasy veneer of faux sportsmanship cream covering their pustulent skin.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: July 11, 2010, 02:35:37 PM

It was an entertaining game. There were a lot of cards but that's because Fifa decided it wanted a zero tolerance match as is common in the first and last games of a big tournament.
If you think this was bad football, bad sportsmanship or bad entertainment, watch the first three games in your local national league next month.

I'm not saying this was as good as it gets, I'm saying this was as good as you can expect.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: July 11, 2010, 02:42:25 PM

Also: no more vuvuzela's.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: July 11, 2010, 02:44:05 PM

Viva Espana! Great tournament, thanks for hosting it South Africa and four years now to the next one. I reckon England are strong contenders if we get things right and how watching someone else win it makes me hope that we do.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: July 11, 2010, 02:58:00 PM

It was an entertaining game. There were a lot of cards but that's because Fifa decided it wanted a zero tolerance match as is common in the first and last games of a big tournament.

I agree with you, but deciding to call a game closely (and still with a handful of weird decisions) when you've been allowing a wrestling match all tournament is beyond insanity.  I mean, the only thing crazier would have been to change the... oh...

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Nissl
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: July 11, 2010, 02:59:07 PM

After watching a good chunk of the tournament.... you know what's wrong with soccer? It's not the low scores or the diving, although those are both symptoms.

The problem is that it's way, way too rewarding to foul. Anytime a team gets in flow, someone makes a great play, all a defender has to do is grab a guy or make a sloppy challenge. A free kick on the spot is almost never as good as the lost opportunity, the flow is gone and the defensive team gets a full reset. A yellow card costs nothing, especially in the finals where there are no future games to miss.

What if... players were out 5 minutes for a yellow card, then 10 for the team's second yellow card, etc, up to a max of 20 or even 30 minutes?

What if... players could advance the ball 10 yards in any direction after a foul, maybe 20 if it were in their own half?

What if... the ref could give a direct kick right outside the box for a minor hold in the box, without being forced to decide between giving one team a goal and ignoring the play?

Meh.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:02:10 PM by Nissl »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: July 11, 2010, 04:06:46 PM

Iniesta wasn't the best player on the pitch tonight or in the Semis for that matter, not by a long shot he was average in fact and kept making bad decisions in the final third, but to be fair he kept plugging away and when you have players like  Xavi, Fabregas and Pedro on the pitch eventually something has to crack. I was glad for him though he did play his heart out & was subject to a few nasty challenges. I can't say I blame him for simulation cause Howard Webb provided little protection, De Jong should have seen straight red for the Karate kick on Alonso & Van Bommel should have seen red for stamping on Iniesta in the second half.

The Footballers choice for player of the tournament has to go to Xavi (again), he was immense.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: July 11, 2010, 04:37:35 PM

You're only saying that because your team didn't lose a single game this world cup. (as did mine)

If you love what Xavi does then you have to appreciate what Iniesta put in. He's a top bloke too. He deserves his day in the sun.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: July 11, 2010, 05:03:32 PM

Xavi's the fucking ringmaster, Iniesta just jumps through the hoops. I am glad for Iniesta, I just think Xavi is the best central midfielder I have ever seen.

I can't even imagine how good Barca are gonna be now they have Fabregas, that's like dreamteam shit.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:11:50 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:00 PM

I think both goalkeepers had better games than anyone, really.  At least one fantastic save one on one for each of them.

AKA Gyoza
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #826 on: July 11, 2010, 08:33:43 PM

The game was shit. I don't care how anybody slaps the veneers on it. They broke the rule that you don't play different in the finals just because its the finals. This wasn't the game I'd seen out of either of these teams until today. I mean 12 yellow cards? WHAT? If you take everything into account both teams barely put a shot on goal every ten minutes on average. It was horrid, terrible football.

And it's what I feared because they were both playing scared.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #827 on: July 11, 2010, 09:22:39 PM

I tried to watch this. I really did.

Fuckin' horrible. I played soccer (yes, I know....football) growing up and I still can't stand watching it. Especially this abortion of a game. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: July 11, 2010, 09:24:53 PM

All people care about with American sports teams is winning.  Do people really care "how" their football teams win worldwide?  There seems to be an awful lot of complaining about "form" when it comes to football. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: July 11, 2010, 09:47:34 PM

Game bored the crap out of me. I missed the first 20 minutes and all the kung fu, and that probably was the best part.

It was a shitty final to a great tournament.

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: July 11, 2010, 11:04:43 PM

Iniesta wasn't the best player on the pitch tonight or in the Semis for that matter, not by a long shot he was average in fact and kept making bad decisions in the final third, but to be fair he kept plugging away and when you have players like  Xavi, Fabregas and Pedro on the pitch eventually something has to crack. I was glad for him though he did play his heart out & was subject to a few nasty challenges. I can't say I blame him for simulation cause Howard Webb provided little protection, De Jong should have seen straight red for the Karate kick on Alonso & Van Bommel should have seen red for stamping on Iniesta in the second half.

The Footballers choice for player of the tournament has to go to Xavi (again), he was immense.

I think if you really go back and look at that game you may have a different opinion. Xavi is fucking brilliant to watch and is an unbelievable tactician with unreal skill on the ball but Iniesta was really pushing the issue in this game and creating chances. Even though playing mid he was constantly up at the edge of the 18 yard box.  He had at least two other chances that were snuffed with fouls.  He was awesome in this game and constantly comes up big (i.e. his semi-final late goal against Chelsea in the 09 Champion's).   Both players were great (in tough circumstances of the hack-fest the Dutch decided to play) but Iniesta was awesome. For the tourney maybe Xavi was better overall but not by much and if you are looking tourney-long I thin David Villa did more than both of them considering how tight the wins were.

-H.L. Mencken
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #831 on: July 12, 2010, 12:26:44 AM

If you think this was bad football, bad sportsmanship or bad entertainment, watch the first three games in your local national league next month.

Zero tolerance? The ref was way more tolerant than he should have been, and way more tolerant than many of the refs we've seen so far in the tournament.  The way that the Netherlands were hacking at the Spanish players I'd have easily seen three Dutchmen sent off with straight reds or dual yellows - Van Persie and Van Bommel - far worse tackling than the one that got Tim Cahill a straight red. And De Jong should have had a straight red for his kung fu bullshit.

The ref was clearly terrified of actually following through and sending anyone off. Yellows mean next to nothing in the final unless you continue to be a thug, and even then both Bommel and Persie got away with it. Spain deserved that win way more than Holland. They actually, you know, played football. I feel bad for Robben, who was a great player through the tournament, but he should be back next time.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:46 AM

I felt bad for Robben for being a decent player on a squad of goons until he started flailing his arms every time something didn't go his way like a giant twat.

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:11 AM

I think if you really go back and look at that game you may have a different opinion. Xavi is fucking brilliant....

Don't get me wrong Iniesta is a top player and a match winner you would always play him even when has having a bad run of it, but overall neither game was suited to him with the amount of pressure from Holland & Germany placed in the final third. He spent most of the game running into opposition, blind alleys, losing the ball, getting fouled and when he did get a good chance to lay it off he fluffed his lines, basically looked like nothing was gonna go right for him.

Xavi on the other hand kept Spain in the game by retaining posession, slowing things down when the pressure mounted & just dictating the pace of the game, this is invaluable to any team and not many players can do this continously over the course of a game especially at the highest level. He has immense vision he seems to know where everyone is around him and then he makes everything look so easy drifting between players and finally his decision making is impeccable he always makes the right pass, doesn't give it away cheaply very often.

Robben had a good game too, in fact he looked a 100% more dangerous than Iniesta for 90 minutes, we would all be talking about how awesome he is  if he had scored and Holland went on to win, thank god we're not though it would have been bad for the game if Spain had lost.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: July 12, 2010, 12:36:54 AM

I felt bad for Robben for being a decent player on a squad of goons until he started flailing his arms every time something didn't go his way like a giant twat.

He learned that one at Chelsea.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:39 AM

I think if you really go back and look at that game you may have a different opinion. Xavi is fucking brilliant....

Don't get me wrong Iniesta is a top player and a match winner you would always play him even when has having a bad run of it, but overall neither game was suited to him with the amount of pressure from Holland & Germany placed in the final third. He spent most of the game running into opposition, blind alleys, losing the ball, getting fouled and when he did get a good chance to lay it off he fluffed his lines, basically looked like nothing was gonna go right for him.

Xavi on the other hand kept Spain in the game by retaining posession, slowing things down when the pressure mounted & just dictating the pace of the game, this is invaluable to any team and not many players can do this continously over the course of a game especially at the highest level. He has immense vision he seems to know where everyone is around him and then he makes everything look so easy drifting between players and finally his decision making is impeccable he always makes the right pass, doesn't give it away cheaply very often.

I guess we are arguing whether Oban 18 or MaCallan 25 is better. They are both pretty damn good.

The couple of times he was in the box and trying to get it on his other foot weren't spectacular, but I would suggest the fact that he was in the box with possession 1v1 that many times as a midfielder is a testament to him rather than a negative.

-H.L. Mencken
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: July 12, 2010, 02:50:31 AM

Regarding referee Howard Webb I thought he had a decent game. Yes, he could have sent someone off in the first 20 minutes. But we've seen games where that happened and they were shit. (Remember Germany v Serbia in the group when Klose got sent off?).

It was a horribly difficult game to referee because the Dutch very clearly wanted to be as violent as they could without quite going over the mark and getting a red. But the Spanish also are quick to foul if exposed to a counter. In fact fouling is the only reason Puyol still has a career as he's too slow to catch people like Robben if he doesn't.

I found it an absorbing match that was SAVED by the ref handing out enough yellows to stop it becoming a massacre without handing out reds that would have ended it as a competitive spectacle.

Besides Robben is the most effective player I've ever seen at drawing fouls. If reds had been flying all the Dutch would have had to do is pass to Robben and have him fall over and they'd have been playing against just Casillas.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #837 on: July 12, 2010, 03:03:16 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #838 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:07 AM

That's adorable!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #839 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:40 AM

That chick was hawt! I liked the cute facepaint.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010  
Jump to: