Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 184372 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:42 AM

This is coming up soon and looks to be a good one.

It looks like, from this list, that Spain should be a major player in this year's cup.  I fully expect to see Spain and England underachieve and Germany, Italy, Brazil and probably Argentina in the finals, depending on the path to the final game. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:10 AM

Spain will depend on David Villa and Fernando Torres' health. If they can keep it together, I back them - I'm not going to dismiss them like I did in Euro 2008. Brazil isn't as scary as it used to be and Argentina is one white powder sniff from deconstructing at any time. Italy doesn't scare me either.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:02:43 AM

Italy does however have plenty of time to get up to speed with the minnows in their group.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:12 AM

England are in awful shape for this World Cup. I expect we'll get through the group stages but I don't see us going much further.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:45 AM

For those watching from the States, have you seen ESPN's broadcast times?

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/01/espn-inc-2010-fifa-world-cup-schedule/

Basically, for the Group Stages, every day from 6/11 thru 6/25 there will be a 7am, 9:30am, and 2pm (Eastern Time) game.

For the elimination rounds, the games are 9:30am & 2pm.

Semi's and finals at 2pm.

Hurray for DVR, although I usually try to watch at least one game a day at the pub.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:05:49 AM

Hurray for DVR, although I usually try to watch at least one game a day at the pub.

I miss London.  There was a pub in the hallway between my dorms and the classrooms.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:17 AM

I have to look forward to a summer with loads of people complaining about France kicking Ireland out of the WC qualifyers and how we would be beating the crap out of the useless teams that did qualify.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:14:04 AM

Planning to watch the US v England game at a pub, but will probably watch most of the rest at home. Can't wait!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51:18 AM

My Tivo will be on fire during that week month.

EDIT: Because the World Cup is longer than a week, dumbass.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:58 AM

USA England really needs to be watched with a crowd and saved to either be savored again in delicious happiness or ritualistically savaged over drinks and bitter tears of loss.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:48:10 AM

It was flipping tapes in 98 that convinced me to get a DVR when the DISHplayer came out the next year.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 05:08:27 PM

WAKA WAKA RISEEEEEE  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGMyHtZpMwY
----

Starts tomorrow, 11th June.

Group A:

4pm CET - 10am EDT South Africa - Mexico
8.30pm CET - 2.30pm EDT  Uruguay - France

My prediction: 1-1, 0-1
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:17:40 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:32:45 PM

I am a bundle of giddiness.

tomorrow el-tri 2 Bafanna Bafanna 1
Hand of Gaul1 Ura, ura, ura not gonna make it to the second round 0.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:43 PM

World Cup Calendar.

I worry that England might win it, the loss of Rio isn't the worst thing that could happen as long as Ledley King stays fit they have the more stalwart defender. I fancy Argentina to make it to the Semis or final and I suspect USA to go to the second round only to be knocked out by Germany. My punt for the semi's will be Argentina, Spain (maybe Brazil), England and Netherlands.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 08:25:00 PM

as long as Ledley King stays fit

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

why so serious?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 08:31:41 PM

Hmm, good point.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:53 PM

World Cup Bracket Poll

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19349.0

Get your picks before matches start tomorrow…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:40 AM

Opening Ceremony starting any minute now.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:39:03 AM

Good start of the 2010 World Cup: 1-1 between Mexico and South Africa, I was right  Heart

Mexico has a brilliant play, but the young age of some of their key elements is clearly showing, like Dos Santos and Vela. Too many chances wasted, too much playing around in the middle with useless one-twos, they were playing better when using the wingers. But hey, if they manage to get more serious and pass on to the next stage, they can wreak some havoc, they're quite unpredictable with their quickness.

South Africa, heart, long balls, but beside the great goal and Pienaar experience, their true key element is the experienced coach, Parreira. He surely knows how to place his pieces around the field.

Honor mention: Perez, Mexico goalkeeper. He's just a MESS, lol.

Oh, and by the way:

http://www.beet.tv/2010/06/world-cup-fever-internet-has-busiest-day-ever-.html

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:19 AM

I still don't understand why that first goal wasn't given to Mexico.  What happened there?  There was a defender on the goal line so it clearly wasn't offsides.  I never really heard an explanation for it.

most often known as Drevik
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:25 AM

I still don't understand why that first goal wasn't given to Mexico.  What happened there?  There was a defender on the goal line so it clearly wasn't offsides.  I never really heard an explanation for it.

He was ruled offsides.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:40 AM

You are offside when the ball is played forward by your team from a position further from the goal line than the second to last player of the opposing team and you are closer to the goal line than the second to last player of the opposing team and you are ahead of the ball (unless you are in your own half, then you are never offside). The key thing here, is that the goalkeeper is just another player for the purpose of this rule, you don't get special credit for who happens to be the last and second to last man.

There was one defender on the goal line, the second to last player was the goalkeeper who had charged forward, the player who put the ball in the net was ahead of the goalkeeper when the ball was played forward. Ergo offside.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:59:33 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 11:28:03 AM

I can understand the confusion I've rarely seen that call come into play.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:29:51 AM by Amarr HM »

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:01 AM

You can watch the games live on the internet through Univision here:

http://futbol.univision.com/fifacopamundial/partidos-en-vivo/

Also, you can watch them live on ESPN360.com if you have the right broadband provider. It's currently not working, probably because of too much demand.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 01:25:44 PM

The Uruguay-France match was a total letdown.  Ohhhhh, I see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 04:38:25 PM

Enjoyed the Bafana Bafana goal celebration.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 04:48:08 PM

The Uruguay-France match was a festering pile of dogshit  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fixed that for you
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:52 PM

Guess that's two fingers to those who thought France were the more attractive proposition than Ireland.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 06:35:27 PM

The Uruguay-France match was a festering pile of dogshit  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fixed that for you

Right  ACK!

Nothing really to comment about that match. Tomorrow should be interesting enough with the much anticipated debut of Argentina (Milito, Messi and everyone else) and USA vs. England (for many reasons, not only sport ones), of course. Oh, and the EXCITING Greece vs. South Korea at 1.30pm CET (7.30am EDT)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 12:01:20 AM

I can understand the confusion I've rarely seen that call come into play.

I was sure that was an onside play. It still doesn't make any sense to me, but I ain't a ref.

Shocked by the France game though. I didn't expect Uruguay to make much of a fight of it. France must have had sore hands.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The South Africa-Mexico match was fun, though. Tshabalala looked pretty damn good, and I wouldn't be surprised if some European team gave him a look when this was over. He seemed a pretty decent Michael Essien type with a killer shot.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 03:18:59 AM

You need 2 defending players ahead of you to be on-side (usually a goalie and a defender). Goalie went out, so there was only one player left, hence off-side. I think I just paraphrased eldaec Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 03:57:56 AM

30 minutes 'til Day 2 starts.

My predictions: Kor-Gre 1-2 (but quite uncertain on paper), Arg-Nig 3-1, Eng-Usa 2-0

May the Vuvulezas be with you.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 05:29:44 AM

Greece are playing some really sloppy football so far. If they'd played the way they did in the last 5 minute's for the past 20, they''d have gotten the lead, though.
Hoping to see a fistfight between the Greek keeper and his defender in the second half...

Looking forward to trying to stay awake for the England-US game later though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Greece doing the same thing I keep seeing lower-tier teams do (including Australia, I have to say) - fucking around passing the ball back and forth in your own half looking for the perfect play when a player from the other team has a go at them, gets the ball and puts it in the net.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:41:45 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:18 AM

Greece is a total trainwreck, horrible slow play and lack of attention, they're basically sleepwalking on the field. Deserved 2-0 lead for South Korea.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 06:17:08 AM

Greece have been playing much better in the second half, but too little, too late, and well outclassed by the Koreans. Argentina and Nigeria will show them the meaning of pain!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010  
Jump to: