Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: There's a Story Here, Somewhere. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There's a Story Here, Somewhere.  (Read 162592 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: April 15, 2010, 03:16:15 PM

Funny to rich white investors, maybe, but not to your paying customers or developers who are the backbone of your operation.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #106 on: April 15, 2010, 03:25:34 PM

Funny to rich white investors, maybe, but not to your paying customers or developers who are the backbone of your operation.

Either he hasn't realized on several occasions that what he says to rich white investors reaches the developers and customers, or he just doesn't give a fuck.  It took him six months after the original quote to bother explaining that:

"It was a line that I used for investors," he said. "It was mainly because I wanted [to explain to our shareholders that] we were responsible in the way that we made our games and that it wasn't some Wild West, lack-of-process exercise and that we really did give some thought to the capital being used to provide a return to shareholders."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 15, 2010, 03:46:17 PM

There's going to be a point where Activision Blizzard's ways are going to catch up with them. Infinity Ward is a prime example of success that shatters, and I can only see AB demanding increasingly bigger and better performance from what properties it does have. Why put everything into your products and make a blockbuster when IW is your fate?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #108 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:57 AM

hmmm yeah. I think I might go with the original quote rather than the "joke" explanation that came along later on.

Also, this:
There's going to be a point where Activision Blizzard's ways are going to catch up with them.
Why put everything into your products and make a blockbuster when IW is your fate?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #109 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:15 AM

Why put everything into your products and make a blockbuster when IW is your fate?

You like to eat? Remember, most developers don't have the luxury of having the EA's of the world come begging to give them money in exchange for the eventual exploitation they will endure.

As for Activision, I'm quite sure they will smile all the way to the bank with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, 4 and 5 before they retire the franchise.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 16, 2010, 09:26:26 AM

Yes, let's apply my statement to all developers in the industry instead of ones under AB's umbrella, since that was my intent.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #111 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:40 AM

Other than Blizzard, I'm not sure there are too many devs under the AB umbrella that my statement wouldn't apply to.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 16, 2010, 12:27:33 PM

Passion is the main reason people get into the games industry, not a paycheck. It is a fire that needs certain factors to keep burning bright. Low morale, and seeing what your overlords are doing, can have a dramatic effect on that passion's brightness and may even kill it.

Leaders who are able to inspire and encourage their employees get the most out of them and see the type of success they want to see happen from passionate people.

Seeing EA's responses, and how biting, smart, and precise they are, has won them some points in my book, aside from what appears to be a slow progression away from the monster they used to be.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #113 on: April 17, 2010, 04:03:49 AM

Counterpoint fo Haemish - As much as I love playing games, I can't see why intelligent people who want to have a life and job go into the industry, considering how disposable and disrespectfully the employees are treated. Maybe do it for a couple of years in your early twenties on your way to getting a real grown-up programming job somewhere. Most of the people running things seem to be idiot man-children like Dmart, Barnett, McQuaid, etc or businessmen who hate their products, consumers and employees, like Kotick.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:11:08 AM by Azazel »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 17, 2010, 10:18:48 PM

You could just not work for those people.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45:51 AM

If you're looking to get in on making an MMO, the only name worth mentioning currently is Blizzard.  Kotick is just riding the wave of another's success, and he's probably smart enough not to fuck with that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #116 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:29 PM

In the video game industry, I think those people vastly outnumber the type of people I'd want to work for. Douchebag man-child with pretensions of rockstar grandeur not only seems popular, I think it's actually an unwritten job requirement based on the preponderance of said manchildren in the industry.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:57 PM

In the video game industry, I think those people vastly outnumber the type of people I'd want to work for. Douchebag man-child with pretensions of rockstar grandeur not only seems popular, I think it's actually an unwritten job requirement based on the preponderance of said manchildren in the industry.

That is pretty much why I got out of the industry after working on Fury and the egotistical and failure that Adam Carpenter and the other lead/seniors were.  After we got laid off one of my friends who had worked for several game company told me that what happened with Fury and that kind of environment is pretty much 50% of the gaming companies out there.  I said fuck that and left the industry to higher paying jobs where I was respected.  He left for Pandemic, only to get screwed by EA and then got screwed at the next place. Meanwhile, since then my salary has gone up by over $10k and even in this economy I have amazing job security. 
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:31 PM

Honestly? I want to work under Jason West and Vince Zampella. I want to see the leadership that their employees espouse that makes them devoutly loyal to them and motivates their ass to do great things.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #119 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:35 AM

Bonuses lost by fired Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella have been "redistributed" among the studio's remaining employees, says a rep speaking on Activision's behalf.

"Vince and Jason had very large bonuses; those bonuses are being redistributed to everybody else, to the people who did not allegedly attempt to steal company secrets," writes Amrich, advising members of the group to look at Activision's counter-suit "for details about Vince and Jason's surreptitious attempts to photocopy and scan sensitive documents."

So stick around, get bonus, run like hell afterwards? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:11 AM

I'm surprised they did that given pending legislation.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:55 AM

Seven (And Counting) Ex-Infinity Ward Employees Join Respawn

So, West and Zampella are such horrible, scheming bosses (as Activision alleges), that ex-IW just can't wait to rejoin them?  I can't help but think that this part just makes it more obvious that Activision are the disgusting, conniving sleazebags in this fight.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #122 on: April 24, 2010, 05:47:22 AM

So stick around, get bonus, run like hell afterwards? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I read somewhere that they were going to give bonuses, but I notice they don't say WHEN those bonuses are going to be given, or what the pay structure would be. I am sure it would be as big a hook to keep people as they could manage - 3 year vest, lump sum at end, etc.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 09:53:47 AM

Probably get the bonus for MW2 once they ship MW3.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #124 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:34 PM

Seven (And Counting) Ex-Infinity Ward Employees Join Respawn

So, West and Zampella are such horrible, scheming bosses (as Activision alleges), that ex-IW just can't wait to rejoin them?  I can't help but think that this part just makes it more obvious that Activision are the disgusting, conniving sleazebags in this fight.

Pending someone's comment on why they are leaving IW and joining Respawn, it's very possible for those in IW to assume a bunker mentality and see that the grass is greener at Respawn. What it is like down the road is a whole other story.

It's very possible for both sides to be acting in the wrong, at least partially.

Blactivision has made some pretty strong allegations; it'll be interesting to see what they can actually show to back them up.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:14 AM

Here comes a new challenger!  IW-related lawsuit tally at three now?

More than three dozen former and current employees of Infinity Ward, the Encino-based development studio that made the hugely successful Call of Duty: Modern Warfare video games for Activision Blizzard Inc., have sued the publisher claiming that they are owed between $75 million and $125 million in unpaid royalties and potentially more in compensatory damages.
Of the 38 employees involved in the lawsuit, 21 are former employees of Infinity Ward;  17 still work there. Approximately 95 people worked at Infinity Ward on last November's Modern Warfare 2, meaning that about 40% of its employees at that time are now suing Activision.
It alleges that the publisher has withheld royalty payments in order to keep them from leaving as their former bosses did, putting at risk the potentially hugely lucrative release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 planned for late 2011.

"Activision engaged in this inappropriate course of conduct in an attempt to force employees of Infinity Ward to continue to work at a job that many of them did not want just so Activision could force them to complete the development, production and delivery of Modern Warfare 3," the suit says.

I'll stop there, but the whole article is quite quotable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:15:03 AM by ahoythematey »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:03 AM

Well, shit.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 05:22:09 PM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:23 PM

The first link is speculation and doesn't really mean anything.  Any one of us here could have called that, and there's still a high chance it won't happen.
The second however is interesting, and I'm hoping the reasons he left come to light.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:32 PM

Yeah that link's title was a bit misleading.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:10 AM

beer geek.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 29, 2010, 03:15:37 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:17 PM

My friends are mocking me for my "cautiously pessimistic" viewpoint of this development.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 30, 2010, 07:18:56 AM

So, uh, Call of Duty: Black Ops was announced today.  Don't the IW guys claim to hold the rights to Call of Duty titles in a modern setting?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 30, 2010, 09:42:54 AM

Yes, they did. I hope they get within a week of launching this game, lose the lawsuit, and cannot publish this game unless they give West and Zampella all the venture capital they need to make their own game before they sign off on this game.

Also? Worst announcement ever. Not even a fucking screenshot on that website. They have nothing but a name to show, and not even a distinctive logo? What the fuck? Maybe I'm spoiled by how Blizzard announces a game. You don't need a convention but an initial package of goodies rather than a ho-drum "Yeah we're releasing a game in six months" would be great.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: April 30, 2010, 10:09:41 AM

I guess there is talks that "Black Ops" may not be an actual "modern" game. There was talk that the Treyarch was working on a Vietnam based CoD.

Additionally, maybe IW's claim was to specifically "Modern Warfare". They originally did not want the term "CoD" attached to it, but Marketing pushed for it (and won).

beer geek.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 02, 2010, 05:00:31 PM

I guess there is talks that "Black Ops" may not be an actual "modern" game. There was talk that the Treyarch was working on a Vietnam based CoD.

Additionally, maybe IW's claim was to specifically "Modern Warfare". They originally did not want the term "CoD" attached to it, but Marketing pushed for it (and won).
From what I've heard, CoD: Black Ops is in fact set in Vietnam. Also, IW's claim is to all post-Vietnam Call of Duty titles IIRC.

Fake edit: From back on page one:
Gee-zus Christ.

Fuck.

These are some pretty bad allegations. If it weren't for West and Zampella maintaining creative control of post-Vietnam Call of Duty titles, Activision could just pay them off and snatch up the CoD brand. This probably explains why Treyarch's CoD is in Vietnam. West and Zampella had the keys.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 15, 2010, 04:18:22 PM

Also? Worst announcement ever. Not even a fucking screenshot on that website. They have nothing but a name to show, and not even a distinctive logo? What the fuck? Maybe I'm spoiled by how Blizzard announces a game. You don't need a convention but an initial package of goodies rather than a ho-drum "Yeah we're releasing a game in six months" would be great.

And no, having a concert for your employees featuring Eminem & Rhianna as your COD: Black Ops spokesperson does not count as good promotion of the game.

Fuck me, I can't wait for PAX.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #138 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:54 PM

Any of our newshounds found any updates to this? The suit and counter-suits and so forth?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #139 on: December 22, 2010, 01:29:07 AM

Activision adds EA to its complaint against West and Zampella.

The documents paint West and Zampella as less-than-angels in dealing both with Infinity Ward and Blizzard Activision, plus adds John Riccitiello as someone who directly approached West and Zampella in the efforts to poach them.

Side note: I want my law firm to be Gang Tyre, because it sounds like they deliver their legal arguments with baseball bats.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: There's a Story Here, Somewhere.  
Jump to: