Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  (Read 80926 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #140 on: December 01, 2005, 11:00:39 AM

Crimson Skies

Hell fuckin' yeah. But then I'd have to make an air pirate character named Don Carnage.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
WayAbvPar

Reply #141 on: December 01, 2005, 11:15:23 AM

I am gonna have to go back and play that again. I got stuck doing a mission 4 or 5 times, loaned it to my brother, and haven't played it since (even though it has since been returned). It inspired me to go see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, which was kinda fun too.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #142 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:46 PM

Crimson Skies

Hell fuckin' yeah. But then I'd have to make an air pirate character named Don Carnage.

yes, very fun.  Good call.    Go here: Porco Rosso

"Come over here and SAY THAT! PWNZ0R!!"

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: December 01, 2005, 01:31:45 PM

Alternate America where the natives won and drove the Europeans off.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #144 on: December 01, 2005, 01:48:14 PM

Dark fantasy.

No, I don't mean drow.

Give me a world built around a character like Baba Yaga instead of dropping Baba Yaga into a fantasy world cause, uh, it's fantasy.

A world with Gypsies, werewolves, witches, vengeful ghosts, dark forests, and superstition.

More horror than fantasy, please.  And, even though I'm usually cool with elves, /no fucking elves/.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #145 on: December 01, 2005, 02:02:44 PM

Call of Cthulhu..

No wait.. If I had to camp Joseph Curwen's lich form for the 1% chance he'd drop the scroll of +5 Yog Sothoth slaying, I'd puke..

How about Hellblazer.. and no.. I don't mean the damn movie version, bastards..

Or, while we're on the subject of comics, how about a Sandman mmog.. it'd rock to live in the dreaming, but it'd suck to have to take a 40 man raid to kill one of the endless (seriously, do you think the developers would grok the concept that the endless are endless?  I doubt it, you know you'd end up having to have 10 priests, 10 rogues, 10 mages, and 10 tanks take down Despair or some crazy stupid shit)..

Hmm.. out of the three, the only one that I can see working out is Hellblazer.. that world was infused enough with magic to make it work, and you could make it pvp with demons vs. humans.  Different classes like Witch Doctor, Investigator, Magician, etc., and maybe some other interesting things..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: December 01, 2005, 02:14:59 PM

CoC in a purely instanced world with common towns like Guild Wars and each instance having it's own story might work.

But it couldn't be an MMOG the way we know it. More a matchmaking service for a squad based investigative survival horror.

I gave a lot of thought to the structure of a squad based conspiracy MMOG. The ideas work on paper, in action people would break them.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #147 on: December 01, 2005, 04:00:11 PM

CoC in a purely instanced world with common towns like Guild Wars and each instance having it's own story might work.

But it couldn't be an MMOG the way we know it. More a matchmaking service for a squad based investigative survival horror.

I gave a lot of thought to the structure of a squad based conspiracy MMOG. The ideas work on paper, in action people would break them.

People would break the fuck out of them. I had a Cthulhu now/Dark Conspiracy P&P campaign going for a while but it only took one guy not into it to fuck the whole thing up. Imagine that multiplied by a thousand.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #148 on: December 01, 2005, 04:07:17 PM

You'd have to structure the goals such that they can be completed by a relatively small handful of competent individuals if they really put their minds to it.  Imagine the world in which a CoC campaign generally takes place - the "heroes" are at the very edge of the bell curve, while the rest of humanity doesn't have a clue about what's going on.  Given the intelligence distribution of your average online game, that'd work well.  The only trick would be making it fun enough for all the people who aren't able to get in on saving the world this time around.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #149 on: December 01, 2005, 06:01:05 PM

What would be really cool is to work the mythos into some game where the 99% of the population really has no clue.

Y'know, sell it as something else to the masses, but then have a few people mysteriously disappear and pique the interest of the mythos chasers. Of course, it would never work, but I think it would be really cool.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #150 on: December 01, 2005, 07:23:45 PM

The only trick would be making it fun enough for all the people who aren't able to get in on saving the world this time around.

Duh - I just realized what the answer to that one is.  Put in a zone full of foozles to whack (completely unrelated to the Mythos, like a field of bunny rabbits) and 10,000 levels of advancement.  Problem solved.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #151 on: December 01, 2005, 07:47:24 PM

The only trick would be making it fun enough for all the people who aren't able to get in on saving the world this time around.

Duh - I just realized what the answer to that one is.  Put in a zone full of foozles to whack (completely unrelated to the Mythos, like a field of bunny rabbits) and 10,000 levels of advancement.  Problem solved.

Pure genius. Throw in a little random consensual PvP for the e-peen set and bingo.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #152 on: December 01, 2005, 08:59:05 PM

Skies of Arcadia Online.

Or at least a game in an SoA-styled world.

Most of my other ideas are unsellable grand mal strategy games, or space games distinguishable more by feature sets than by original story ideas.
You win.

My ideal vision of it would inevitably be ruined by the players since I'd like to see player owned/crewed ships with ship to ship battle involving more conventional MMOG combat AND Puzzle Pirate type stuff. No way you could get anyone but the poopsockers to do that unless you made it "POOSH BUTAN, WIN LOOTS" simple.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #153 on: December 01, 2005, 10:20:44 PM

Historical medieval setting (ie, no magic) with conflict between city states.  Think, northern Italy around the Renaissance, or northern Germany with the Hanseatic League.  I'd like to see a well built political system that allows for intrigues and control over pre-established cities.  Make the game very economic oriented, with trading guilds and city states fighting over control of many different resources and markets.  Basically, think Darklands crossed with Eve, with some Europa Universiallis thrown in.

If that makes any sense.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 01, 2005, 11:12:10 PM

Fallout. This should be a no brainer though.

This site is too vast to try and Necro quote.  But I had thought in the past you had indicated that Fallout would not be a good setting for a MMORPG.  Your point was that the game was a success because ".. great story telling" which would not really translate well into a MMORPG?

1. Fallout
2. Vampire Masquerade (both time periods modern and old - time travel would be a neat twist - rather than new zones - you have new time periods).

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #155 on: December 02, 2005, 03:16:19 AM

Ah, fuck, my 2 page post got eaten. God. Damnit.

Ok.

Let's go back to Lum's question.

For what game/idea would you invest $20M?

None. Not until Blizzard fucks up WoW to a point of no return. Right now, I would:

Edit: Someone contacted me just because I confused them. Ok, let me clarify. If I had $20M right now, I'd rather be swimming in it than investing it in online gaming. I just don't think the technology is there yet.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 02, 2005, 05:03:40 AM

Cthulhu mythos.  Game starts off as a single player experience. You are an agent of the old ones (you pick your god at player creation).  As you complete objectives you come closer and closer to causing the return of the old ones to your world.  As you complete your objectives you get to choose powers:

• pets (deep ones, Mi Go, Shuggoth, etc) - results in a more RTS type gameplay
  • intelligence gathering - results in a more explorer-type experience with artifact collection and placement, (basebuilding-type gameplay)
  • strength/speed/health - standard hack/slash/nuke
  • control of NPCs - turning the pitiful fools against themselves, an attempt at a less-combat focused gameplay (likely you are an agent of Nyarlathotep)

As you choose powers you see your avatar change, slowly becoming more and more monstrous.

The single player game ends with you bringing about the return of the old ones, effectively ending the world as it existed and making you something of a god.  At which point the mutliplayer game begins.  Your world is your base of operations, the goal is to increase your influence by taking over additional worlds.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #157 on: December 02, 2005, 08:33:07 AM

Hmm.. out of the three, the only one that I can see working out is Hellblazer.. that world was infused enough with magic to make it work, and you could make it pvp with demons vs. humans.  Different classes like Witch Doctor, Investigator, Magician, etc., and maybe some other interesting things..

It would only be interesting if they made combat a sort of bargaining/puzzle/MTGO-style card game sort of thing, based around bargaining with the powers, giving up lungs and friends and shit.

But you know they'd just throw in holy hand grenades and consecrated/blessed shotguns and call it a game.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #158 on: December 02, 2005, 06:44:00 PM

Nausicaa would be fucking great (airships! steampunk!).

But then I wish I had the founding and a huge group of talented people to do Elric/Stormbringer (Michael Moorcock, which is rather dark fantasy). That's my dream.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #159 on: December 02, 2005, 07:01:58 PM

Nausicaa would be fucking great (airships! steampunk!).

But then I wish I had the founding and a huge group of talented people to do Elric/Stormbringer (Michael Moorcock, which is rather dark fantasy). That's my dream.

Well, I think a lot could be done with the Eternal Champion stuff as a whole since the multiverse in those books incorporates worlds other than fantasy.  It would take a pretty massive team to do something like that though, but overall I think it would add a lot of context to Elric's world.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #160 on: December 02, 2005, 07:36:29 PM

Well, I think a lot could be done with the Eternal Champion stuff as a whole since the multiverse in those books incorporates worlds other than fantasy. It would take a pretty massive team to do something like that though, but overall I think it would add a lot of context to Elric's world.
The game is pretty much complete in my head since it's a couple of years that I shape my ideas around that setting.

I consider this a very powerful licence, not only because it's truly evocative and already rather "graphical" in the books (the descriptions are absolutely awesome and Melnibone would be worth the price alone) but also because it's still available (Moorcock wouldn't be against the idea and some exposition) and because of the potential of the Multiverse.

I've done a whole lot of work but some of the traits are:
- Some raw game mechanics taken directly from "Elric" the pen&paper ruleset made by Chaosium and completely skill based and realism based (no infinite hit points, no levels crap, no infinite treadmills).
- A game world separated in two. Shards (the implementation of the basic world in the books) with factional PvP where the guilds conquer and control the land and spawn NPCs themselves (no passive NPC lore, it's all in the hands of the players) and portals that link these shards together (realm-crossing) and open access to planes (static, not instanced). Then from these planes (working like hubs similar to Guild Wars) the access to other PvE dimensions, worlds and adventures. These completely instanced for full control and authorship in the stories.
- The implementation of powerful artifacts that transform the player into a demi-god (hello unbalance). Think of Strormbringer (the sword). These can be taken/summoned from the PvE instances accessible through the planes (exactly as Elric got Stormbringer) and then brought back to the PvP shards. These artifacts grants insane powers and change the whole aspect of a character (more fearsome, huger etc..) but they are also lootable in PvP. To remain in the game world they have a maintenance cost that can be paid only by killing people in PvP. So no hiding. The opposite faction can also use divination to track the current location of the artifact, so you are always hunted and cannot hide.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #161 on: December 02, 2005, 08:51:01 PM

The game is pretty much complete in my head since it's a couple of years that I shape my ideas around that setting.

I consider this a very powerful licence, not only because it's truly evocative and already rather "graphical" in the books (the descriptions are absolutely awesome and Melnibone would be worth the price alone) but also because it's still available (Moorcock wouldn't be against the idea and some exposition) and because of the potential of the Multiverse.

I've done a whole lot of work but some of the traits are:
- Some raw game mechanics taken directly from "Elric" the pen&paper ruleset made by Chaosium and completely skill based and realism based (no infinite hit points, no levels crap, no infinite treadmills).
- A game world separated in two. Shards (the implementation of the basic world in the books) with factional PvP where the guilds conquer and control the land and spawn NPCs themselves (no passive NPC lore, it's all in the hands of the players) and portals that link these shards together (realm-crossing) and open access to planes (static, not instanced). Then from these planes (working like hubs similar to Guild Wars) the access to other PvE dimensions, worlds and adventures. These completely instanced for full control and authorship in the stories.
- The implementation of powerful artifacts that transform the player into a demi-god (hello unbalance). Think of Strormbringer (the sword). These can be taken/summoned from the PvE instances accessible through the planes (exactly as Elric got Stormbringer) and then brought back to the PvP shards. These artifacts grants insane powers and change the whole aspect of a character (more fearsome, huger etc..) but they are also lootable in PvP. To remain in the game world they have a maintenance cost that can be paid only by killing people in PvP. So no hiding. The opposite faction can also use divination to track the current location of the artifact, so you are always hunted and cannot hide.

The main problem I see (not really a problem I guess so much as something to figure out) is how the players would fit into the overall story.  It wouldn't make sense for them to be aspects of the Eternal Champion since it was only on rare occasions that even a few aspects would be in one place at any given time.  To have thousands of them interacting with each other wouldn't really work.  I suppose the players could start out in Tanelorn, or possibly be people like the Chaos Engineers or something though, but for the most part I don't see a lot of people from Elric's world being able to travel between dimensions.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #162 on: December 02, 2005, 09:11:24 PM

Well, my implementation is pretty loose. It borrows many elements that I find functional and inspiring but then I ditch everything that doesn't fit in the model.

As I said the world is split in two. The PvP/conquest world has no directed story and is enrooted with three static factions (Law/Balance(crafters-traders)/Chaos), plus the possibility for the players to form "fallen houses" that will work like independent factions. The players start here, the PvP is the first and main purpose.

(This PvP world is cloned on different servers like it happens in every other game. The difference is that the players can open portals to the planes and then, from the planes, travel to a different shard. But then you can own landmass only on one shard set as "home" and if you set a new one you lose what you previously got.)

Then there are the planes and the access to the multiverse (which can shift from horror to fantasy but wouldn't go past the setting boundaries) where there's space for directed lore and stories to follow, like pieces of "dreams" that you gather progressively (discovering the story). Like a web with many ramifications.

I used the setting for inspiration, then the actual rules depend on the game needs only.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #163 on: December 02, 2005, 10:44:34 PM

I used the setting for inspiration, then the actual rules depend on the game needs only.

Probably would be for the best I suppose since a lot of the larger story of the EC (like the "game of time" stuff) can get pretty confusing.  One of these days I'll have to go and re-read everything in order.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 05, 2005, 05:18:02 AM

Sid Meier's "Alpha Centauri" online, where you play as a colonist of one of the factions, rather than as the entire faction. Tech tree to work towards, etc. ATITD in space with combat!

There's a lot of talk about a wild west MMO. Tales of Alvin Maker anyone? It's just about the only old west MMO that I have faith will actually ship. And yes, a Firefly MMO would make me feel all tingly inside.

Lum, you need that $20m to make that game. I would buy it.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #165 on: December 05, 2005, 05:21:58 AM

Someone on slashdot posted this - which I find much more interesting than the actual slashdot thread:

Here's what the US Copyright office has to say about it - and they should know

he idea for a game is not protected by copyright. The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it.
Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author's expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable.

Ok, so what's stopping someone from applying the MtG rules to an online game aside from bad taste? Because really, best PvP system evar.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 05, 2005, 11:24:54 AM

Ok, so what's stopping someone from applying the MtG rules to an online game aside from bad taste? Because really, best PvP system evar.

Etherlords makes me say, "nothing", as long as you don't use cards.  Would be an interesting game, especially if they started very conservatively (unlike MtG) until they got the feel for how powerful to make any given "rule" (creatures, enchantments, sorcery).  Would also be interesting to do the "world rules" thing (with each zone, etc starting with a separate global effect).

An MtG MMO with players as something close to a Planewalker seems like it could be pretty cool, especially from a PvP perspective.  Good idea (sorry if I didn't see it earlier in the thread).
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #167 on: December 05, 2005, 12:28:05 PM

Etherlords makes me say, "nothing", as long as you don't use cards.  Would be an interesting game, especially if they started very conservatively (unlike MtG) until they got the feel for how powerful to make any given "rule" (creatures, enchantments, sorcery).  Would also be interesting to do the "world rules" thing (with each zone, etc starting with a separate global effect).

An MtG MMO with players as something close to a Planewalker seems like it could be pretty cool, especially from a PvP perspective.  Good idea (sorry if I didn't see it earlier in the thread).

Schild's been expressing this idea for Some Time Now.

I think you could even use cards, as long as you don't steal their art/names.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #168 on: December 05, 2005, 12:35:16 PM

Etherlorda 2 was great until you went online and played against all the degenerate decks( well blue starter deck is complete ass).

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #169 on: December 05, 2005, 01:52:08 PM

Oh man, I forgot to pick up Etherlords 2. Hey SANTA! ;)

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #170 on: December 05, 2005, 08:14:12 PM

Oh man, I forgot to pick up Etherlords 2. Hey SANTA! ;)
Starforce!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: December 05, 2005, 08:41:35 PM

There's a lot of talk about a wild west MMO. Tales of Alvin Maker anyone? It's just about the only old west MMO that I have faith will actually ship. And yes, a Firefly MMO would make me feel all tingly inside.

There is a Firefly NWN mod if you haven't seen it.

Sid Meier's "Alpha Centauri" online, where you play as a colonist of one of the factions, rather than as the entire faction. Tech tree to work towards, etc. ATITD in space with combat!

It looks like the ATITD engine is licencable though someone would have to email Teppy to find out how much. Anyone have $100k laying around to give it a go?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #172 on: December 05, 2005, 08:50:28 PM

Starforce!

Drippy PUssy, Cockwhore!

...the shame...

"Me am play gods"
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #173 on: December 06, 2005, 07:49:37 AM

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Ringworld

Call of Cthulhu might work, but would require one thing no company is willing to put the balls on the table to do.  Perma death.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: December 06, 2005, 11:10:18 AM

Historical worlds that single characters can wonder through.

In fact assuming Lum is still reading this I'd be more than happy to outline the general business model and game mechanics.  I'm about two months away from approaching some money people in DC.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  
Jump to: