Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  (Read 80937 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: November 28, 2005, 01:48:04 PM

Bah, you folks are so predictable.

I want Crossroads online. Level up your musician and compete against others! Heavy metal dungeons with spiked lewts, hair bands with amazing power of aquanet, bluesmen selling their souls to Smed, etc. Plus Miagi, minus Macchio.
schild
Administrator

Reply #106 on: November 28, 2005, 01:49:30 PM

Harmonix signed on to the Xbox Live Marketplace. Maybe, one day, we'll get Guitar Hero over XBL.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #107 on: November 28, 2005, 01:50:29 PM

I want Crossroads online. Level up your musician and compete against others! Heavy metal dungeons with spiked lewts, hair bands with amazing power of aquanet, bluesmen selling their souls to Smed, etc. Plus Miagi, minus Macchio.

I would have been surprised if you had not suggested some strange guitar MMO.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 28, 2005, 02:55:29 PM

I don't even remember if I've replied to this yet.  In any event:

Sports MMO's would be interesting.  Golf, baseball, football, hockey.

Old West.  I know it's being attempted, but I'm not impressed with what I've seen on the horizon.  Pure pvp gunfighting goodness.

Dark Age: No magic, just swords and stuff.  Mount & Blade the mmog.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #109 on: November 28, 2005, 03:04:11 PM

Cyberpunk, like someone else said here, preferably set in Gibson's BAMA Sprawl.

Cthulhu, but you'd be rerolling toons every three months as your old ones would be too crazy to be useful anymore.

Rifts would also roxor my boxers.

Lastly, something based on the Bordertown books would just send me to the freakin' moon.

I'm working on an idea that's been bouncing through my head for years now, but that's a story for another time.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: November 28, 2005, 04:33:07 PM

Sci-Fi/Modern games have been less popular than fantasy because people understand guns better than they understand maces and swords. If you hit somebody with a mace... literally hit them so that blood comes out and they say "ugh" like they do in most MMOGs... it makes limbs useless, collapses ribs, and shatters skulls. Even in armor. Swords were mostly clubs as well,  but they could also poke like spears which, again, had a nasty habit of killing folks in one or two "hits" --

-- but we don't have any experience with that so  somehow the endless swing-ugh, swing-ugh, swing-whiff, swing-ugh works just fine visually. The cliche is golden.

Seeing two people stand at about 20 feet apart firing machine guns at eachother and saying "ugh" just doesn't cut the same mustard. Guns are supposed to KILL PEOPLE. With that in mind, they're a lot harder to balance... and instant death isn't much fun (it's rare even in single player games),  especially at more realistic ranges.

That's my excuse anyway.

If I had to choose, I'd like to see a fantasy game in a completely unique setting. No more orcs, elves, fireball-flinging mages, and magic swords. "Fantasy" is a genre without limits, but the entries thus far have lived within relatively strict fencing. That said, I'd rather see a game that stayed fun for a long time and had lots of variety in its gameplay, no matter what genre costume it happened to choose.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #111 on: November 28, 2005, 06:14:31 PM

If you hit somebody with a mace... literally hit them so that blood comes out and they say "ugh" like they do in most MMOGs... it makes limbs useless, collapses ribs, and shatters skulls. Even in armor. Swords were mostly clubs as well,  but they could also poke like spears which, again, had a nasty habit of killing folks in one or two "hits"

This exactly why I think combat systems will suck unless they focus on defense (and by "focus", I mean, giving it more attention than offense). Nifty attack animations and combos do not make a good combat system (and mmo's can barely pull this off either). This goes without mentioning ideas such as tank classes with more "hit points" than others, buffing, and the like.

I'm not sure if any rpg designers know this, but a grown human being can incapacitate most other grown human beings with only his/her bare hands......And nobody withstands a warhammer to the face. "Hero" or not. "Heroes" generally prefer the idea of avoiding spikes being jammed into their heads too.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #112 on: November 28, 2005, 06:31:18 PM

I'm not sure if any rpg designers know this, but a grown human being can incapacitate most other grown human beings with only his/her bare hands......And nobody withstands a warhammer to the face. "Hero" or not. "Heroes" generally prefer the idea of avoiding spikes being jammed into their heads too.

Well yeah, that problem goes back a long way, pretty much to the creation of levels and hit points.  None of the heroes in any fantasy book I've ever read were thinking about how many blows their HP would allow them to survive.  If they had bows drawn on them or daggers at their throats, they didn't just say "fuck it, I'll take the damage".
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #113 on: November 28, 2005, 06:40:36 PM

[edit] Hmm....I should think this through more. This post wasn't exactly relevant.  wink
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:45:24 PM by Stray »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #114 on: November 28, 2005, 08:21:53 PM

Harmonix signed on to the Xbox Live Marketplace. Maybe, one day, we'll get Guitar Hero over XBL.

They really dropped the ball by not having new songs to download for $2.99 a tune.
Draive
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 28, 2005, 08:24:06 PM

prx-guild.com
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #116 on: November 28, 2005, 09:09:50 PM

Total War the MMOG.

Each player gains around a dozen unit slots over the course of his career. You can use about 4 or 5 in a battle at once, you can form groups of around 5 or 6 players to build an army of 20-25ish units.

Wow, I was thinking how they need to do a multi-party mmog.  When you start out, you get three or four characters, letting you decide how you want to build them for combat.  Your idea of having RTS/crafting/gathering sounds pretty cool too.

As for genres:
--Sci Fi or Sci Fantasy
--Civil War
--Napoleonic Wars
--Toon town gone bad...hey it's Mickey, but with hookers and beer  :-D
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #117 on: November 28, 2005, 09:16:00 PM

See, now this man's thinking.  If you wanted some form of foozle-bashing you could include pop and hip-hop foozles.  MMmmmmiiiillion dollar idea here.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #118 on: November 29, 2005, 02:07:54 AM

Quote from: Margalis
One of the issues with some settings is a distinct lack of loot. In a Western MMORPG there just isn't a wide range of items.

Fantasy gives you a TON of loot options because you can add random crappy effects to anything and say 'it's magic!" So you can have your sword of + strength, your sword of + agility, your sword of fire damage, your glowy sword of plant killing, etc etc. And artistically you can slap a blue glow on something and call it new and improved.

In a western setting you just have a bunch of revolvers.

There's nothing saying you couldn't do that in a Wild West setting either. I'd rather play a game that plays with the facts a bit anyways.

Revolvers are the shit (and it's not like all guns are the same), but other weapons can be included as well: Axes, throwing axes, martial arts, brawling, archery, farming equipment....Even swords if you want.

If you want more fantasy, you could stretch the facts and even include magic. Indian had their shamans, the Chinese had alchemy/herbalism, the Blacks had voodoo, and to steal an idea from Deadlands, the white men had "Luck" (In Deadlands, there was a card carrying mage class called a "Huckster").

Deadlands would be awesome.
schild
Administrator

Reply #119 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:02 AM

I've said this a thousand times.

A big company needs to buy up the license to Planescape: Torment. You could put fucking anything in that world, and if there were a door, it'd be a-ok with continuity. Goddamn I'm a genius.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #120 on: November 29, 2005, 05:30:39 AM

I've said this a thousand times.

A big company needs to buy up the license to Planescape: Torment. You could put fucking anything in that world, and if there were a door, it'd be a-ok with continuity. Goddamn I'm a genius.

Planescape was a D&D setting, so with DDO coming out that looks pretty unlikely.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 29, 2005, 06:44:54 AM

If you wanted some form of foozle-bashing you could include pop and hip-hop foozles.  MMmmmmiiiillion dollar idea here.
Fitty: Get Foozle or Die Tryin' (and resurrect and come back and try again). Send me a money hat kthx.

Actually, I'd like a GTA-like open city to roam in and then instanced "mini" games. Like you drive out to the golf course and then enter an instance of Tiger Woods (closed if you don't own the "plugin"). Drive to the stadium and enter an instance of (motherfucking) Madden. I mention EA products because they've got the stable of IP to do such a thing, the size to make an mmo, and a creaky old mmo that needs to be taken out back and shot by a robot pirate ninja. But I've been wanting a game that's really a graphical hub for a bunch of other games since I was a wee lad on the Atari VCS.
Warryyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 29, 2005, 10:51:32 AM

Smurfs Online
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 29, 2005, 10:56:37 AM

Anarchy Online, done right. Not the messy system, broken engine, etc. they have now. WoW's system and interface with AO world, mob variety and skins would satisfy me. Manginas can pretend the Nano breed are elves.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #124 on: November 29, 2005, 10:57:03 AM

Darklands would be a fun MMO setting. The skill system was very UO-ish and the only magic was potion tossing and the prayer mechanic. There were a lot of events tied to the lunar cycle that could be cool in an MMO. I am sure Christian groups would go nuts, too, if you let players do witchcraft. That's an extra bonus.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #125 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:33 AM

Darklands would be a fun MMO setting. The skill system was very UO-ish and the only magic was potion tossing and the prayer mechanic. There were a lot of events tied to the lunar cycle that could be cool in an MMO. I am sure Christian groups would go nuts, too, if you let players do witchcraft. That's an extra bonus.

God that was a fun game. Buggy as hell, but it was worth it. Love to see even a single player remake or sequel to it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 29, 2005, 01:19:52 PM

I'm surprised someone hasn't said 'Pern' yet.

The MMO setting I'd like to see is 'modern day'. You could go through school, get a job, do that every day, and one day, maybe, you could retire and just sit in front of the TV the rest of your life. Or, you could be a clerk at the DMV whose goal is to make life miserable for everyone around you - bonus points for making people shout at you.

- Viin
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #127 on: November 29, 2005, 01:41:39 PM

anything without elves or magic, or pseudo-magic
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #128 on: November 29, 2005, 01:45:57 PM

The MMO setting I'd like to see is 'modern day'. You could go through school, get a job, do that every day, and one day, maybe, you could retire and just sit in front of the TV the rest of your life. Or, you could be a clerk at the DMV whose goal is to make life miserable for everyone around you - bonus points for making people shout at you.

I found a game for you: http://www.eagames.com/official/thesims/thesimsonline/us/nai/index.jsp

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 29, 2005, 01:46:03 PM

1.  Mythological/Homeric Greece.  I want to bop around little islands on my pagasus beating up titans and gorgons and taking their l3wt. The prospect of a Hades expansion to this non-existent game is already making me excited.

2. Dante-esque Gothic Fantasy/Horror.  In other words, World of Motherfucking Diablo.  (WoW) + (a few years' experience) - (pink haired gnomes/Nightmare-Before-Christmas undead and fucking anime-inspired shit everywhere) = umf umf.

3. OK, I'm ready for my lynching but I have to say I'll always be interested in well-done high fantasy settings.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 29, 2005, 01:56:47 PM

Skies of Arcadia Online.

Or at least a game in an SoA-styled world.

Most of my other ideas are unsellable grand mal strategy games, or space games distinguishable more by feature sets than by original story ideas.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #131 on: November 29, 2005, 03:11:06 PM

I dont know if anyone has said this, but what about some thing like Crimson Skies for a setting, it could be pretty heavy on the vehicles and stuff, but with indoor dungeons.

Also, I had a dream (yeah, very dorky, I know) about Starcraft MMO. It was really sweet in my dream, so now Im hoping Blizzard makes some thing like that.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #132 on: November 29, 2005, 03:29:20 PM

Ditto on so many of these:

Deadlands or anything else with a wildwest + open pvp setting
Battletech
Crimson Skies
Any gritty Steampunk, Cyberpunk or Post-Apocalyptic setting will get my money for at least a month
Necromunda // Inquisitor (both WH40K universe settings but with a scope that might be doable in a MMO)
EvE + flight sim controls = winner
Tribes universe (jet packs + vehicles + bigger vehicles + fps = luv)

Thats all I've got at the moment, really I'm just looking forward to more worlds that are designed to be the game, not established worlds being fucked up in order to fit into a game.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 30, 2005, 06:42:32 AM

I'm a little late noticing this thread, but my answer is definitely gold rush/western.  You know... part Sierra's old Gold Rush... part Outlaws... 100% kickass.

My friend who works for an mmorpg studio and I actually began outlining design doc for such a game a few months ago, but we both kinda got busy with real life so it's been collecting dust.   Sad Panda
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 06:45:21 AM by Kenrick »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 30, 2005, 07:15:03 AM

http://www.planetside.com

Play Vanu MAX for jetpacking, though. But it is similar on a lot of levels. Best mmo thus far, by far.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 30, 2005, 07:51:04 AM

Dune... done right

Inconceivable!

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #136 on: November 30, 2005, 07:54:46 AM

I never read much Science Fiction or Fantasy but two books I did read and enjoy in my youth were the Dune series and the Foundation series.  I think either would make a good setting for an MMO.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #137 on: November 30, 2005, 09:20:11 AM

http://www.planetside.com

Play Vanu MAX for jetpacking, though. But it is similar on a lot of levels. Best mmo thus far, by far.

Yeah I know of Planetside, but the Tribes universe has a decent storyline to it, and the game I'm imaging would be more of a meaningfull full-scale war type deal and less a CTF with no score capture static bases that are meaningless type of thing.  Also jetpacks for everyone is love, mortars are love, and can you imagine if they went all the way from light armors up to starsiege mechs?  That would be fucking awesome.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 30, 2005, 09:20:46 AM

I'm a little late noticing this thread, but my answer is definitely gold rush/western.  You know... part Sierra's old Gold Rush... part Outlaws... 100% kickass.
Win the lottery and send this guy your money.

I had at times a high hope for Warhammer online, since that's a fantasy RPG favorite, but... no. They cannot convey the nature of the game in the (most likely) WoW copycat it eventually will end up as, if it ever comes out.

RIFTS? Yes, I'd add my vote for that, despite it being an "everything but the kitchen-sink" world using Palladium's sucky system. At least it has variety. TORG/Planescape/Nexus type stuff is also interesting.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #139 on: December 01, 2005, 10:28:09 AM

Most of my other ideas are unsellable grand mal strategy games, or space games distinguishable more by feature sets than by original story ideas.

*coughbattlecruiser2000cough*

bad dev! bad!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  
Jump to: