Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  (Read 81179 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: January 11, 2005, 04:55:15 PM

I got inspired by a thread on Corpnews talking about MMOG design and people talking about what setting they would like a MMOG to be made in. I thought it deserved it own thread.

I have always wanted a Planescape style MMOG. Doesnt have to be DnD, just that sort of thing. It would be very easy to do instanced mission areas, or new content add-ons and stuff. Also it would be really easy to add new races or classes. And it give a reasion for so many powerful people to be all living in such close proximity to eachother, unlike WoW or EQ where the entire world is populated by heros, but it seems wrong.

I would also like to see a Steampunk or Cyberpunk MMOG.

How about all of you guys? Where would you like to play?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 05:01:34 PM

World of Darkness
All Sergio Leone westerns
pre-Clans Battletech (Clans are the Night Elves of Battletech)
Robotech
Lankhmar and/or Vlad Taltos

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 05:02:34 PM

Steampunk.  

Fallout (post-apocalyptic).

Ancient Greece or Rome (with their respective deities).

Western (or Firefly esque space western *drool*).

-Rasix
Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:36:04 PM

Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock
steampunk-fantasy

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:43:04 PM

One that recreates the world of "Neuromancer" by William Gibson would be the perfectly refined Cyberpunk IMO.

Probably also a good reflection of the "Iron Kingdoms" for Steampunk (a pencil and paper RPG setting).

And a ++ for the pre-clans battletech.
schmoo
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 06:31:42 PM

Steampunk, for sure.

Iain Banks' 'Culture' would be excellent, too.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 06:43:50 PM

Steampunk is already coming with the new DnD MMO. (Assuming it gets published).

I'd like to see Cyberpunk above all others. The thing that drew me to AO was the talk of Fixers using the net which turned out to be nothing but a transport system. Neocron came close but I despised alot of their design decisions.

To work it'd need:

Dark, gritty scenery..bladerunner basically
My own grungy aparment, complete with rats and sirens outside, and a computer
The net<-A MUST
Cyberware in some form.

Personally I'd like to see the old PnP Shadowrun turned into an MMO. It fused Cyberpunk and Fantasy and worked for the most part.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 06:51:00 PM

If you going, might as well go in whole hog.

What I would like is a flexibile gaming system, ala Gurps, that can be adapted to suit almost any setting.  More of a multiverse with travel between widely different dimensions/worlds each with their own "laws" flavor and settings, plus potential links to other worlds.

So, you could have a post apocalyptic theme one, where in certain locations nucleur blast open portals to other place like a high magic fantasy world, oriental themed world, even bizarre horror themes or alien settings.

Plus, in that circumstance, expansion are easy to justify. ;0)

Still waiting for a good sci fi game since AO, E&B, EVE and SWG really dont cut it.  Someone make me a nice hard sci fi game please.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 06:52:12 PM

Sci-Fi, space exploration, planet exploration, 100% dynamic content (fully destructable and constructable evironments).   Players acting as agents or citizens of pre-established fictous government entities with adequatte socialpolitical controls to stop players who don't take the game seriously from ruining it for everyone else.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 06:55:22 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Sci-Fi, space exploration, planet exploration, 100% dynamic content (fully destructable and constructable evironments).   Players acting as agents or citizens of pre-established fictous government entities with adequatte socialpolitical controls to stop players who don't take the game seriously from ruining it for everyone else.

Where do I sign up?

I do have to wonder why fantasy is so dominant. Is it a perception that fantasy sells over scifi?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 07:04:11 PM

I'd second the PS:Torment idea.  Something about that game still makes me think, and it would be a great setting to put ANYTHING you wanted in.

Quote from: geldon
stop players who don't take the game seriously from ruining it for everyone else

Something about that makes me cringe.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 07:09:58 PM

Riverworld.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 07:13:50 PM

Definitely Leone.
For something western-based, but with more fantasy: Deadlands.

Caveman era (actually, I'd prefer something less historical and more silly, like the movie "Caveman". Claymation dinosaurs and gigantic iguanas would be a plus).

Something Aquatic/Atlantean, with a mix of sci-fi and fantasy both (like the Namor comics).
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 07:15:37 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Something about that makes me cringe

Sounds a bit fascist, isn't it?

I want players to have freedom in what they do in the game, but I've decided just turning people loose to do whatever creates a real unstructured wreck.   Some of the players are going to try to seriously build up an interesting universe, many of the players are going to just do whatever because a game is, after all, about having fun.   Left uncontrolled, the later will tear apart any progress the former makes at building a good virtual community.

Since this is my ideal MMOG we're talking about, I'm opting for an approach where the players don't run the governments, but act as parts of that government.   Want to blow stuff up?  You can be a space marine or a fighter pilot, you'll generally be following orders of superiors and can work your way up the military chain of command through good conduct.   Want to work independently?  No problem, you can be a civilian plying whatever trade you're interested in, perhaps a tradesman, or perhaps as a bounty hunter.  

While combative civilian professions would exist, there'd be laws in place so you can't just run around do whatever with your character without facing some pretty stiff consequences.  Being a criminal is an option, but criminals tend to lead harsh short lives and that's likely how it'd go here.  

Overall, all these restrictions should result in a much more believable and even enjoyable environment.   Believable because your character has to deal with realistic societal pressures, and enjoyable because the gameplay is much better structured than a "do anything" format.   It's sort of like how a class defines an idea of a profession better than a randomly chosen skill pool.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 07:27:19 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Quote from: MrHat
Something about that makes me cringe

Sounds a bit fascist, isn't it?

I want players to have freedom in what they do in the game, but I've decided just turning people loose to do whatever creates a real unstructured wreck.   Some of the players are going to try to seriously build up an interesting universe, many of the players are going to just do whatever because a game is, after all, about having fun.

Since this is my ideal MMOG we're talking about, I'm opting for an approach where the players don't run the governments, but act as parts of that government.   Want to blow stuff up?  You can be a space marine or a fighter pilot, you'll generally be following orders of superiors and can work your way up the military chain of command through good conduct.   Want to work independently?  No problem, you can be a civilian plying whatever trade you're interested in, perhaps a tradesman, or perhaps as a bounty hunter.  While combative civilian professions would exist, there'd be laws in place so you can't just run around do whatever with your character without facing some pretty stiff consequences.  Being a criminal is an option, but criminals tend to lead harsh short lives and that's likely how it'd go here.   Overall, all these restrictions should result in a much more believable and even enjoyable environment, much like how a class defines a character better than a randomly chosen skill pool.

The overall feel of what you're suggesting is 'serious' which would motivate me to suggest you market it as an MMOW instead of an MMOG.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 07:32:52 PM

Curse my blatant overediting.

Yeah, pretty much a more seriously geared MMOWish endeavor.  I hesitate to say I'd be for developing a mere simulation so much as a game that takes itself a little more seriously.   There'd be a lot of focus on the interactive game mechanics in any dream game I had a hand in.

schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 07:48:00 PM

Jennifer Government. But not shitty and web based.

Dragonlance. Planescape. ... Either really.

Fallout. This should be a no brainer though.

Deus Ex. Would be nearly impossible but by god the possibilities for dev run conspiracies in an instanced world make me giddy.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 08:51:49 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
I do have to wonder why fantasy is so dominant. Is it a perception that fantasy sells over scifi?

We're recapitulating the original evolution of computer games.  Probably because of the thresholds of disbelief.  In Fantasy, anything jarringly unrealistic can be ignored on the grounds that a world full of wizards throwing fireballs doesn't need realism.  To a lesser extent, the same goes for SciFi settings, anything can be explained away by Clarke's Law, which is why the era of Fantasy dominance will probably be followed by SciFi dominance.  Only once the tropes and conventions for dealing with the unavoidably unrealistic elements have become so accepted that they aren't even noticed, will we get games based on strict historical or contemporary settings.

In the late 80's, early 90's, fantasy RPG's (M&M, King's Quest, Ultima, the Gold Box SSI games) dominated computer games so completely, that I understand it was almost as hard to get backing for a non-Fantasy game.  That was followed by dominance of Sci-Fi themes and decidedly fantastic historical settings (Wolfenstein, Doom, Descent), then by hard-core realistic combat simulators (tank simulators, plane simulators, submarine simulators).  The modern era of "realistic" shooters (that have more in common with Quake then the fans really want to admit) is actually pretty recent (and already playing itself out).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 09:11:23 PM

You know, I've been playing games since the early 80s and it never even occured to me to look at it in that way.

Here's a good question: Why are the current crop of Sci-fi MMOs so unsatisfying?

AO is about the only one I find at all palatable. SWG makes me cry. The space based games look more like glorified persistent Wing Commander than MMOs to me. Neocron had too much PvP empathis for me. (When I played you were literally punished for not PvPing by decreased XP gain).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:53 PM

Quote from: Stray
Definitely Leone.
For something western-based, but with more fantasy: Deadlands.

I second Deadlands.

Other game settings I would love to see:

[*]Glorantha - Still my favorite FRPG campaign setting
    [*]Legend of the Five Rings - Samurai, ninja, magic and Dune-style politics
    [*]Paranoia - Already said too much...
    [*]Top Secret/Spycraft - Spies, secret agents, etc.
    [*]Some sort of sci-fi space exploration setting
    [/list:u]
    Viin
    Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 09:20:24 PM

There is a Roman MMO being created, called Roma Victor. Only God knows if it'll see the light of day or not.

But I would absolutely love to second the Firefly MMO! There's something about that setting that would work absolutely perfect in a game (preferrably as an MMO). Old fashioned gun fights, brawls, horses, whore houses mixed with some space ships, cybernetics, and technology .. Ok, now I have to watch the series again!

- Viin
    Viin
    Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 09:29:02 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
    Here's a good question: Why are the current crop of Sci-fi MMOs so unsatisfying?

I certainly hear you. I wish there were some better ones ... Have you tried EVE or JumpGate?

EVE is interesting, but you certainly have to like the style of play. But it is very cool looking and it is pretty fun doing missions and kill pirates. It gets old when you start strip mining astroids because your corp keeps asking everyone to help stockpile resources - it's probably much more fun being a pirate than a good guy.

JumpGate was interesting when I played a few years ago, but just didn't catch me. I did try Vendetta Online with their free 2 week trial - it seemed interesting enough. Reminded me of the later versions of the Descent games (it is a in-cockpit space sim that can use a joystick which is cool). Maybe I'll try that game again in the near future.

Ooooh, another game I'd like to see made into a MMO like is Allegiance. That was a kick ass game and would be even more awesome on a larger (than 64 player) scale and made persistent.

- Viin
    Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 10:18:19 PM

Steampunk, definitely.

Cyberpunk, preferably Shadowrun provided someone could do the license justice (which no one fucking would). An RP-Heavy Shadowrun MMORPG with a more action based combat system, a matrix combat system, vehicles, based around doing Shadowruns with Random people? Awesome.

Half the fun of Shadowrun is making a group of people with various mental or social problems get shit done.

It'd take a very large environment or lots of low-population servers for it to work right...I mean, 50 people doing similar high-speed chase Shadowruns on the highway would just look stupid.

...Or a REAL MMORPG based on Phantasy Star (not PSO's world, regular Phantasy Star), with a Hunter's Guild where players can actually GIVE others quests (i.e. a High level crafter can just post a request for materials at a hunter's guild, and players can take the quest).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
    MahrinSkel
    Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 10:23:15 PM

Microsoft owns the FASA properties, including Shadowrun and BattleTech.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
    Margalis
    Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 10:58:47 PM

One of the issues with some settings is a distinct lack of loot. In a Western MMORPG there just isn't a wide range of items.

Fantasy gives you a TON of loot options because you can add random crappy effects to anything and say 'it's magic!" So you can have your sword of + strength, your sword of + agility, your sword of fire damage, your glowy sword of plant killing, etc etc. And artistically you can slap a blue glow on something and call it new and improved.

In a western setting you just have a bunch of revolvers.

When you add magic or "nanotechnology" or whatever you open items up to a very wide range of effects, as well as allowing people to specialize in magic itself. If you take the average MMOPRG and strip out all magic and magical effects you have a pretty boring game.

Magic is sort of a free-floating creative license to do whatever you want.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
    sinij
    Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 11:15:00 PM

medival sword and magic with dragons and sorcerers
    apocalyptic post-nuclear wastleand with mutants and ruins

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
    Krakrok
    Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 11:21:38 PM

Syndicate. Can anyone count the ways the persuadertron could be used for grief?
    Calantus
    Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 12:32:19 AM

Dark Semi-Futuristic (Syndicate, Deus Ex)
    Cyber-Punk
    Steam-Punk
    Fantasy

Those are the 4 I'd ever be drawn to due to setting. Modern-day (if they're gritty enough to make the "real" world unrecognizable this is alleviated), non-fantasy-historic, and full-blown scifi turn me off in RPGs but I'll still play them if they are good enough.

I'd especially love a planescape(-esque) setting. Can you imagine what could be done with a MMOG set primarily in Sigil? Beautiful, beautiful music.
    ahoythematey
    Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 02:40:03 AM

RIFTS.
    Soukyan
    Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 05:16:19 AM

Dune

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
    "Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
    "Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
    Righ
    Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 06:04:11 AM

And if we're going to bring PnP RPGs into it, FGU's Aftermath.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
    LordDax
    Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 06:13:30 AM

For my fantasy pick I would choose WoT or Sword of Truth, since ME:O is slated to release(...evenutally....).

And I second the idea of Shadowrun as a MMOG, that game created countless boredom breaking adventures and laughs when I played it back in the day. I heard it went clickbased now so maybe I'll give it a try again. But I think it would make a great Cyberpunk MMOG.

Oh and I just remembered that any of David Edding's stuff would make a great fantasy game and you couldn't go wrong with Timothy Zahn for sci-fi. Which raises an interesting point...why doesn't a company get an established writer to create a good book but release it in MMOG interactivity format? I mean in fantasy novels you always hear about the neighboring kingdom/state/planet preparing for war or all the weapons in testing at the labs, why not let players become the great supporting cast for the story?

When the future doesn't appear to be the way you like it, re-invent it!
    Zetleft
    Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 06:14:53 AM

Privateer Online damnit.  Would also love to see BattleTech persistant universe.
    Megrim
    Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 06:29:33 AM

Mmm... something to do with Cyberpunk. Preferably with open pvp. The opportunities for griefing will be endless, but meh, what can you do.

Also, the GURPS cross-world thing would be really good, if done right. It'd be interesting to have interchangable fantasy and sci-fi (and everything in between) environments in one game.

- meg

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
    stray
    Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 06:34:27 AM

Quote from: Margalis
    One of the issues with some settings is a distinct lack of loot. In a Western MMORPG there just isn't a wide range of items.

Fantasy gives you a TON of loot options because you can add random crappy effects to anything and say 'it's magic!" So you can have your sword of + strength, your sword of + agility, your sword of fire damage, your glowy sword of plant killing, etc etc. And artistically you can slap a blue glow on something and call it new and improved.

In a western setting you just have a bunch of revolvers.

There's nothing saying you couldn't do that in a Wild West setting either. I'd rather play a game that plays with the facts a bit anyways.

Revolvers are the shit (and it's not like all guns are the same), but other weapons can be included as well: Axes, throwing axes, martial arts, brawling, archery, farming equipment....Even swords if you want.

If you want more fantasy, you could stretch the facts and even include magic. Indian had their shamans, the Chinese had alchemy/herbalism, the Blacks had voodoo, and to steal an idea from Deadlands, the white men had "Luck" (In Deadlands, there was a card carrying mage class called a "Huckster").[/quote]
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
    f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  
    Jump to: