Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  (Read 81131 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #70 on: January 13, 2005, 07:50:23 AM

Quote from: Lum
Quote from: Bunk
Promblem is, it'll never happen because you can't make an MMO an M rated game and the setting won't work on anything less than that.

UO was rated M.

Yea, but how long did people jerky last? Personally, I'm guessing that UO made it to release as an M rated game because of Raph's often mentioned fact that it was "under the suits radar".

I can't think of anything remotely M rated about the game after the first couple of months.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 13, 2005, 08:04:38 AM

You must of had the profanity filter on.  It was rated M because you never know what other people will do.... and they found out all about internet anonymity pretty damn quickly.  

You see something similar in any game release now that can go online, console or pc, but now it just states something like 'rating does not reflect online play'.
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: January 13, 2005, 08:55:46 AM

Darklands Online (Medieval Europe with Saints and Alchemy)

Oooh good call. Buggy as hell, but wow that was a fun game. I still have nightmares about getting wtfpwned by the Wild Hunt. I have a sneaking suspicion that that band of roving centaurs in the Barrens of WoW were inspired by this (having been rolled by them several times).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: January 13, 2005, 02:32:17 PM

My most recent MMOG idea was Call of Cthulhu Online.  It'd be a predominantly PvE game with regular story arcs; the gameplay focuses on puzzle-solving and exploration (e.g. following trails of clues).  The twist is that if the players don't "win" the story arc (e.g. stop cult X from summoning the incarnation of old one Y), the server is wiped and everyone rerolls.  Bwahahaha!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #74 on: January 13, 2005, 02:42:24 PM

Also, 6% of all client downloads wipe your hard drive.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #75 on: January 13, 2005, 03:34:37 PM

Well, I hate to shamelessly plug one of the games my own company will publish, but with the references in this thread to Car Wars, I wonder how many folks realize that Auto Assault is coming out this year?

As to the main purpose of this thread, I always think of three unused liscenses:

Hyboria (Conan)
H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands
Earthsea

I also think that an interesting Western-style kind of game is possible.  You could set it on an alien world as a colony that reverted technologically for some reason.   Technological advancement in a steampunk kind of way could be a big part of a game like that, I think.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #76 on: January 13, 2005, 03:55:03 PM

Firefly the game would be called Traveller. It has been rumored several times on the TML, but I don't know if Marc Miller has licensed it.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 13, 2005, 03:56:20 PM

Quote from: Tisirin
Hyboria (Conan)

Would I be able to camp picts?

Wiiiiii!
WayAbvPar

Reply #78 on: January 13, 2005, 04:59:16 PM

Well, I hate to shamelessly plug one of the games my own company will publish, but with the references in this thread to Car Wars, I wonder how many folks realize that Auto Assault is coming out this year?

Can you give us a link for an update? What little I had heard made me feel like I would still be waiting for a true Car Wars game even after its release.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #79 on: January 13, 2005, 06:12:14 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

Can you give us a link for an update? What little I had heard made me feel like I would still be waiting for a true Car Wars game even after its release.

Happy to. It's simply http://www.autoassault.com/ .  We've been adding quite a bit of material lately and are moving into a schedule to add more every week.
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #80 on: January 13, 2005, 06:13:47 PM

Quote from: Rodent
Hyboria (Conan)

Would I be able to camp picts?

Dude , camping Picts is for noobs.. Everyone knows that the Hyrkanian Steppes is where you get the l33t drops..
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #81 on: January 13, 2005, 06:28:28 PM

To pimp for a game that I'm *not* working on (after doing everything but padlocking myself to their offices trying to get an interview), Auto Assault looked like it was going to be really good.  A lot depends on how they went about building the world, but the core gameplay was just a complete blast, so as long as they didn't screw up, it should be a hell of a lot of fun.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 13, 2005, 07:03:12 PM

What I'm about to type makes me wince, but has NCSoft considered doing what SOE did and making a game pass with a flat rate for all of their games? I love COH and might try this autoassault as well.

*feels very dirty for suggesting another company do what SOE did*

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 13, 2005, 07:15:28 PM

Quote from: Righ
Firefly the game would be called Traveller. It has been rumored several times on the TML, but I don't know if Marc Miller has licensed it.

I believe at one stage CRS (ww2ol makers) had a license to do a Travellers MMOLG and had discussions about doing it after ww2ol release.
Of course that aint gonn happen now.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #84 on: January 13, 2005, 07:18:15 PM

I'll agree with Tisirin on Conan.  I'd also like to see a Western/Supernatural mix like what Lansdale and Truman did with Jonah Hex.  Maybe a Resident Evil MMO (or any zombie MMO really).

Other things I'll just throw out there without really thinking about how they'd work:

Tron
Prophecy (Angels vs. Angels and all that)
Oz (the HBO series).  Prison-based MMO where there could finally be true player enforced justice as griefers are made to put on dresses and dance, or are beaten and then shit on.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #85 on: January 13, 2005, 08:11:58 PM

Quote from: Velorath
Oz (the HBO series).  Prison-based MMO where there could finally be true player enforced justice as griefers are made to put on dresses and dance, or are beaten and then shit on.

Holy shit. Now THAT's a great idea. Seriously.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about the ladies...Can't have a coed prison. Ah well, it'd still make a good single player game.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 14, 2005, 06:23:49 AM

Skotos is running a text based Call of Cthulhu game.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 14, 2005, 08:59:13 AM

Looking through this thread, I see alot of references to specific IP's and licenses that have already been tried and cancelled or failed outright.

I'm not saying that the license or setting was a bad one, just that it was either done wrong or doomed from the start.

Multiplayer Battletech Online:3025 - Awesome game, I was in the beta right up until the game was about to launch and Microsoft bought FASA and told EA to fuck off.

I also see alot of people wishing for genres and settings that are currently in development.

Car Wars/Road Warrior is taken care of by Auto Assault.

Pirates?  Yarrr, being done.

And that Conan/Hyborian setting, hehe.  The license is not as unused as you would believe. /wink

I would have to say that a Cyberpunk/Shadowrun type setting would be my first wish.  Fallout would be second on that list.  And to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the women. Scratch all that.  An MMORPG set in the War World book series created by Jerry Pournelle would definitely rock.

In 2004, the MMO world was being steamrolled by the combined EQ2 / WoW Juggernaut.  I think that 2005-2006 will be giving us a look at several games that are going to depart heavily from the standard Fantasy/Sci-Fi settings.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 14, 2005, 09:30:34 AM

Quote from: d4rkj3di
I think that 2005-2006 will be giving us a look at several games that are going to depart heavily from the standard Fantasy/Sci-Fi settings.

Let 's hope that they also depart heavily from the tired D&D/Diku mechanics.

Setting = good, Gameplay = good, Setting + gameplay = win.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #89 on: January 14, 2005, 12:09:25 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
What I'm about to type makes me wince, but has NCSoft considered doing what SOE did and making a game pass with a flat rate for all of their games? I love COH and might try this autoassault as well.

*feels very dirty for suggesting another company do what SOE did*

Well, I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that it's pretty obvious what kind of price-breaks and cross-marketing one can do when one has a suite of games rather than one or two titles.

A flat rate or "pass" is definitely something that any company with a suite of games should strongly consider.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 14, 2005, 01:19:51 PM

Not that any Lineage player has time to do anything else, with that grind. CoH+AA+GW would be attractive however.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 14, 2005, 01:33:38 PM

Boy if there was an all access pass for coh that included autoassult I would be terribly tempted. Then again I have no freaking time for all the games I currently have. I need to win the lottery buy a nice cave and close the door and not come out again.

kaid
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 14, 2005, 01:35:50 PM

Not that any Lineage player has time to do anything else, with that grind. CoH+AA+GW would be attractive however.

Add in Tabula Rasa and that NCsoft combo is really, really attractive to me.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 14, 2005, 02:13:06 PM

Quote from: Mi_Tes

/Agree. But I was under the impression GW wouldn't sport a monthly fee anyways.

Wiiiiii!
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 14, 2005, 03:37:18 PM

Quote from: Rodent
Quote from: Mi_Tes

/Agree. But I was under the impression GW wouldn't sport a monthly fee anyways.

Your right, their will be no monthly fee for GW.  However, that combo of games sounds great (only thing that would make it better for me is if NCsoft would pick up and finish Mythica).  

Perhaps with GW, NCsoft could give a discounted price for the downloadable expansion packs (half price) for anyone who has a NCsoft-e combo pack.  That would be a way for NCsoft to give a decent break for people playing that game and still be in line with the "no monthly fee" cost model.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
BlackSky

Email
Reply #95 on: January 15, 2005, 08:54:44 AM

Color me childish, but I wouldn't mind playing a Watership Down MMO, I always loved those books . . .

(No furry coments, please)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #96 on: January 15, 2005, 10:03:41 AM

Quote from: BlackSky
Color me childish, but I wouldn't mind playing a Watership Down MMO, I always loved those books . . .

(No furry coments, please)

Would you be interested in a game of Furcadia?

Seriously though, the Plague Dogs (at least from what I remember) is one of the best cartoons ever made. Never got around to seeing Watership Down though. Just as good?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 15, 2005, 05:13:12 PM

I kept hoping Art Garfunkle would catch myxomatosis. Saccharin for the eyes and ears.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #98 on: January 17, 2005, 09:55:02 AM

Cyberpunk 2020 Online would have been awesome as it was envisioned.

The Conan world, Call of Cthulu, Deadlands, and Shadowrun would all be interesting worlds as well. Oh yeah, and Star Wars, in the Old Republic days, when there were lots of Jedi running around.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 17, 2005, 11:00:31 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Cyberpunk 2020 Online would have been awesome as it was envisioned.

The Conan world, Call of Cthulu, Deadlands, and Shadowrun would all be interesting worlds as well. Oh yeah, and Star Wars, in the Old Republic days, when there were lots of Jedi running around.

Mmmm, Call of Cthulu 2020 Online.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 17, 2005, 12:00:52 PM

Deadknights of the Old Cthulurun 2020 Online: The Hyborian Wars.  Only on Station Pass!
mmo.maurice
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: November 28, 2005, 01:03:19 PM

sorry to resurrect this (i'm new to the site, and i'm going through all the old posts)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Ravensloft
Twilight 2000
Raymond Fiest's Riftwar (set in the time of the Valheru, although maybe a young Valheru due to the disparate power levels)

WayAbvPar

Reply #102 on: November 28, 2005, 01:19:30 PM

Wow. I am prescient.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: November 28, 2005, 01:29:17 PM

Since this has been necroed, I'll say I'd love to see Shadowrun, Fallout and/or Deadlands done as MMOGs.  The old Fading Suns RPG could make a great MMOG as well.

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #104 on: November 28, 2005, 01:45:17 PM

I'm itching for something different.  Steampunk, maybe (NOT amime).   People have mentioned Sci Fi Western, like in those Stephen King books or something... that sounds good, too.  I've been bored to tears with CoH/V lately, but I wouldn't mind trying one of those new comic type MMOs that are on the horizon... I think I read one or the other was going to be skill based... that would be cool.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your MMOG Setting?  
Jump to: