Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: New UI (Webkit Based) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New UI (Webkit Based)  (Read 17785 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 06:15:07 PM

Overall the client seems pretty nice and smooth for me. Two gripes. The Store page is way to big and crowded. Feels like a step back. Icons everywhere and I have to scroll way down to even get to the New Release and Coming Soon pages. Do not like. The other being, I wish my installed games would show up at the top of the list, like the old Steam. Just me I guess, but I liked that better.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:27 PM

The games list is filterable by category; switch to "installed" in the dropdown and you only see installed games.  It seems like it might not remember this, though, which is annoying.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27:16 PM

The games list is filterable by category; switch to "installed" in the dropdown and you only see installed games.  It seems like it might not remember this, though, which is annoying.

Yeah, I figured this out but I liked to see everything.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 01:25:47 AM

This is so much faster for me now, good work Valve!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:42 PM

If your overlay text disappeared in the past few days (like mine did), you can add -no-dwrite to your Steam shortcut and that'll fix it until they can get a patch out.

The text also seems less blurry now which is a definite plus.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:56 PM

I uninstalled the beta version. I was just having to many issues, and the performance was identical.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:14 PM

I actually rather like the current interface for steam.....

I'll give this a shot though.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:09 AM

All the view modes for the library are fucking awful. Scratch that, pretty much all the new layout is incredibly bloated and shitty. It's like a 26-inch iPhone interface. There was nothing wrong with the old interface, even the fact that it was running in an IE window.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 08:10:15 AM

I would like the old sort list back.  I could fit a lot more games into the window without scrolling.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:51 AM

Figure I'll ask here rather than make a new thread.  I'm going to reformat my HD and install Windows 7 (because my release candidate expired and is yelling/resting at me now).  All my steam info is on another drive.  Is there any way for me to re-install steam, and then reconnect it with all the data I've already downloaded?  I'd really rather not re-download 100 gigs worth of games..

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:59 AM

I would think that if you just re-install Steam and point it at the same cache directory that it'll see the cache and go "oh, okay".

IIRC there's also a special option in Steam to make a backup of your cache?
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 01:08:36 PM

You can also update your release candidate with a real version without losing your installs. That's what i did and it worked beautifully.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 03:50:44 PM

Valve is sending out Apple inspired ads for their games. The majority are pretty much win.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/03/valve-teases-upcoming-half-life-release-for-mac/
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:56 PM

Holy fuck, you weren't kidding:

Owns so hard I can't describe it.

-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 04:08:22 PM

You can also update your release candidate with a real version without losing your installs. That's what i did and it worked beautifully.
......I didn't even think to try this.   Facepalm

-Stephen Colbert
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:18 PM

Google for the hack to do it; it's very simple. It takes one quick edit of a text file and a couple quick registry tweaks. 5 minutes tops.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 05:44:52 PM

I did a reinstall anyway, to get a clean OS.

Steam worked fine once reinstalled.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 02:24:55 PM

I would think that if you just re-install Steam and point it at the same cache directory that it'll see the cache and go "oh, okay".

Yep, I've done that multiple times - back up the entire Steam folder, restore it after reinstalling Steam.  I recommend doing a "validate game files" afterward just in case.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 04:05:00 PM

Cool, thanks all.  Yeah, I'll probably do a clean wipe anyways.  I like to do clean OS installs, always leery of any sort of upgrade approach, even if I shouldn't be.

-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 04:46:49 PM

I did a clean install and I have Steam on a separate disk.  I can't remember if I reinstalled Steam or just started it... probably reinstall.  In any case it should find everything if you use the same directory.  My steam.log has stuff as far back as 2007 in it so apparently I have not wiped the directory tree since then.

Impulse works differently but almost as easy.  Since Impulse games go into their own directories rather than some secret place under steam, you will need to tell new-Impulse where the game dirs are.  After that it should validate and not need a redownload.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:51 AM

Wired article on Steam for Mac. Awesome. As a user of both platforms, this makes me stupidly happy.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/

Bringing Steam to Mac will give gamers several cross-platform benefits, Newell said.

• If players already own the PC versions of Valve games, they’ll get Mac versions at no extra charge through a feature called Steam Play.
• By using the Steam Cloud feature that the company introduced in 2008, players can save in-progress games online, then call up those saved games no matter which version they’re playing. If you’re playing Half-Life 2 on your home PC but then head out on the road with your MacBook, you can continue your game-in-progress.

beer geek.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:13 PM

Wired article on Steam for Mac. Awesome. As a user of both platforms, this makes me stupidly happy.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/

Bringing Steam to Mac will give gamers several cross-platform benefits, Newell said.

• If players already own the PC versions of Valve games, they’ll get Mac versions at no extra charge through a feature called Steam Play.
• By using the Steam Cloud feature that the company introduced in 2008, players can save in-progress games online, then call up those saved games no matter which version they’re playing. If you’re playing Half-Life 2 on your home PC but then head out on the road with your MacBook, you can continue your game-in-progress.

Yeah, that's awesome. The part about getting Mac version "at no extra charge".

Most of my computer XP is in the Mac world these days, but I do run Windows when running those apps and games not available on OS X platform. I never know which version to buy — hopefully, this solves the gaming dilemma…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:13 AM

Best part of that, if I understand the release correctly, is that the games are being written natively for the Mac, not as cider ports.

Fucking. A.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 08:48:00 AM

Now if you could run OSX on a homebrew pc hardware platform, I'd give a shit.

I know one gamer who only runs macs, and he can't afford a mac that would run TF2. If he could, he'd probably build a gaming pc for the catalog of everything else. I love OSX, but the hardware is an albatross.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #59 on: March 10, 2010, 06:37:15 AM

Usefully cynical commentary.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #60 on: March 10, 2010, 08:00:42 AM

You can. Hardware permitting of course.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: March 10, 2010, 08:03:21 AM

I know one gamer who only runs macs, and he can't afford a mac that would run TF2. If he could, he'd probably build a gaming pc for the catalog of everything else. I love OSX, but the hardware is an albatross.

I know at least one person who buys Mac hardware and installs Windows on it so he can run games.   awesome, for real
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 10, 2010, 09:42:41 AM

Maybe....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 09:50:08 AM

Hardware permitting of course.
0.0 DPS
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:12 AM

I know at least one person who buys Mac hardware and installs Windows on it so he can run games.   awesome, for real
/boggle

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: March 10, 2010, 10:37:46 AM

I posted that hoping to see a cage fight between Prospero and Sky, and so far I'm disappointed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 10, 2010, 11:17:02 AM

Eh, if I had the money that's probably what I'd do.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 11:48:45 AM

Hardware permitting of course.
0.0 DPS

Look it up and see if your specs fit the drivers they have for the installs. It was pretty varied from what I recall and wasn't a scenario of "You need an Asus M7NCD-EX-PR mobo. Won't work with the non PR version."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 01:55:17 PM

Yeah, I've been watching for a while. I've got an X-Fi.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Creative
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 07:23:39 PM

/boggle

Not too surprising. Apple hardware is pretty top of the line. Overpriced compared to what you can custom build, but its sexy and all that. Pity about the one button mouse nonsense. Otherwise I would have gotten a mac book pro and put on Windows 7.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: New UI (Webkit Based)  
Jump to: