Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Lord of Ultima 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lord of Ultima  (Read 36527 times)
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 05, 2010, 03:33:37 PM

How does one get a Castle? I've got quite an army getting fat and lazy.

It's on the regular progression of buildings which open up as you upgrade your Town Hall. It's in the row following the Stonemason. Not recommended to build it the first moment it's available, you're just going into PvP at the weakest possible time, and you can lose your town but you can't yet take over anyone else's. That requires a Baron unit.

I wish I could tell my troops to haul off / target a specific resource.

The dungeon type determines which resource you get the most of: wood from forest, iron from mountain, stone from hill. Again, it's not a lot, but they might as well be attempting to earn their keep.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 04:13:22 PM

Castle is good if you have weak neighbors. I have people who put up a Castle and no army to support it. I now have three farms for resources. Only bottleneck is building time and army caps for me.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:47 PM

Out of curiousity, does this actually have anything in common with Ultima?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 05:03:27 PM

From what I can tell...

...not a damn thing.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:18 AM

Server wipe right when I conquered my first city. ;_;

BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:53 AM

Not actually a wipe Lorekeep - they just opened a second world and steer you there by default.

You can still get to your old city from the log-in screen.

So you can have 2 cities doing absolutely nothing very slowly.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 09:46:09 AM

wat.

Oi...

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, 07:38:21 AM

From what I can tell...

...not a damn thing.

Yea, I'm not sure a) why they called it Ultima; and, b) why this isn't on Facebook. Perfect game for that system and easier to get a lot more people.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:59 PM

Game's in Open Beta now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:25:47 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21:35 PM

In Open Beta now.

Is it a Travian clone?  Any interesting innovation?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 20, 2010, 05:18:53 AM

I'm still not entirely sure what the game is here. If it wasn't called Ultima, I wouldn't have even checked it out. But there's no Ultima to be had here really either. It's just optimizing build orders and resource collection. You can go PvP if you want, but you're not forced to. There's trading, but I haven't ever seen my resources get depleted. So it's not so much what I need as much as how long I'm willing to wait for it.]

Is that how Travian is?
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #81 on: March 20, 2010, 06:34:59 AM

Is it a Travian clone?  Any interesting innovation?

It's a Travian clone.  Yes, some interesting innovation.  It's released open beta now.  Nice graphics.

Until you build a castle, you can't attack other players and other players can only scout and plunder you.  As long as you've built enough hideouts to protect your resources, you can play the game in a mode where other players have zero incentive to attack you.

Dungeons provide a reason (though not a great one) for the castle-less to have an army.  

The Ultima naming is a joke.  Originally, the only Ultima reference was the name of the game (and it's font).  They made it "more Ultima" in a recent patch by changing the name of the Mage's Tower to "Moonglow Tower" and the Temple to "Trinsic Temple".  Those three names are quite literally the only Ultima in the game.

They recently went live.  You can now spend real money to buy in game diamonds, which you use to buy/hire various advantages in game.  Unfortunately, they made the classic move of reducing what you can do in order to make the upgrades worth buying...  Things like:  You use to have a building build queue of 10 buildings.  Now you have a build queue of 6 buildings and can spend X diamonds per week to hire a building minister who will expand your build queue by 10 to 16 buildings.

Also interesting, most of the in game store items have different ranks.  Higher rank players can buy significantly more powerful (like double), slightly more expensive variations of items.

The role of positioning things is kind of interesting.  There are quite a number of cases of building X gets a bonus when placed next to building Y situations, including, of course, a building Z which gets a bonus for each empty adjacent location.

I've played it to the point where I have a well developed, non-castle'ed first town, almost ready to create a second.  I probably will create it, make sure my hideouts mean I'm not leaving behind a farm, and then stop playing.

Edit: Fixed release state.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:41:47 PM by Jerrith »
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:22 PM

Meh.  Those Travian clones are getting more annoying than RTS clones after Starcraft and Red alert 2.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 04:19:48 PM

Tough for me to be real critical of this game because I like the Studio, but yah... the force is not strong in this one as of now.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #84 on: April 08, 2010, 11:58:29 AM

I started building up a city in open beta, and then couldn't really find any inspiration to log back in.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 08, 2010, 12:03:19 PM

I logged in two days in a row and then forgot about the game until now.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 07:56:31 AM

Maybe cause it's so easy or not that in depth, but I've been logging in daily to this.

Help me.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:00 AM

What server are people on?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 02:00:21 PM

World 3. I'm on Continent 13.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:45 PM

I'm server 3, continent 11
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #90 on: April 21, 2010, 06:13:47 AM

What's your user name? We can be friends!
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 21, 2010, 06:20:52 AM

I'm on as JWIV. 

And yah, the earlier critiques are still completely valid I think.  Straight up clone with no tie to the IP outside of the title.  Still, it's a nice timekiller for a bit.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #92 on: April 21, 2010, 11:26:02 AM

Yeah, I just pop in once a day and set stuff to build/upgrade and send off a raiding party.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #93 on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:44 AM

awesome, for real

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 14, 2010, 02:21:25 PM

anyone else having issues getting in?  it says waiting for...

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Lord of Ultima  
Jump to: