Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Lord of Ultima 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lord of Ultima  (Read 36242 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 09:15:50 AM

I find it interesting how pbbg's are getting bigger and your big-block 3d MMOs are getting smaller.  We're almost to a point now where the retention and profit margins are smarter devving a damned webgame.

5 million user Facebook games pull in $50k a day.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:39 AM

More slots for this opened up this morning - I was able to get in.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 08:23:15 AM

I too hath gotten in.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:20 AM

Every single time I read about this or get the e-mail, I'm a half hour to an hour from a computer. Ugh.

Still open at 8:30 am PST. I might get in this time...

I'm in.

I liiiiiiike.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:18:16 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:15 PM

Meh.  I dunno.  This game is to regular city builders like Nile Online like Starcraft on fastest map is to regular Starcraft.  I don't like Starcraft on fastest map.

Why don't you try our other games?
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 04:55:34 PM

I like it.

They made starting fun, which is... out of the ordinary for these games.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 05:23:28 PM

That there is a PVE / PVP switch is something worth noting. They've smartly implemented the ability to be at a "certain level" before you can be attacked based on progress rather than time. That you can stock cities with defenses that are separate from your army cap is also a plus.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:29 PM

Selling Iron.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 08:09:45 PM

Are we actually allowed to talk about this game or not?  Wth kinda closed beta doesnt have a formal NDA?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:54 PM

Does it count as a closed beta if you can just go make an account? Either way, still haven't seen an NDA. Although I could have sworn they said not to post screenshots somewhere..
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:34 PM

Game is actually pretty decent. Disregard my sour grapes from earlier and try it out.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:46 PM

You guys got an Alliance yet?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 04:17:33 PM

Welp, since there's no NDA;  I've only played for a few hours and I like the feel of the game (so far).  Geometric resource gathering and construction always is cool to me, e.g. you cant just place structures willy nilly (well, you CAN, but you'd be gimped).  And you're given quite a large area to manage.  I'm testing another game that has a similar mechanic.

The constuction speed is spot on early-game... very fast (might as well be an RTS).  Whether this stays pretty linear throughout I cant tell yet (i.e. you're given enough to do and/or times or short enough to make an evening of it).  So yah, this may be one of those pbbg where most strength is determined by logged time, rather than RMT.  Army movement however, seems pretty slow.

The tut. is very basic for now.   Also, quests, the shop, items, and social element are missing.  So really, much of our opinions are based on lack of info. right now.  So far though, I like the foundation.  Nice UI, decent crunch, good speed, good lore obviously, and so on.

Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 04:48:37 PM

No alliance yet, really haven't messed with that side of things. I'm working on building up resources and getting my place as defensive as possible before the newbie protection wears off. Assuming it does, at least. Can you only be attacked if you build a castle? That would be sort of annoying.. once I get to the point I put one up I want to be able to attack all of the people around me.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:40 PM

Whether this stays pretty linear throughout I cant tell yet (i.e. you're given enough to do and/or times or short enough to make an evening of it.

Nope.

Just spent 18 hours knocking down some rocks, then 9 1/2 building my town house.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 08:20:17 AM

Can you only be attacked if you build a castle? That would be sort of annoying..

When do you hit Castle? Is that a Level of upgrade?

I only sorta know what I'm doing here and the documentation is a bit sparse. This is like playing the Eve Skill Trainer except in additon to the progress bars, I get buildings smiley
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 09:32:03 AM

Anyone able to mess around in the dungeons yet?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 10:34:06 AM

I've sent Berzerkers and got like 2 wood, 1 iron and 2 stone. Not 2,000, nor even 200, 2! I just sent a newer larger force to a Level 2 dungeon though. Not sure what I'll get in return. The round trip is looong.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

I have a level 2 dungeon near me. Hour long trip one way. Sending 150ish men (Mostly Dwarves and the first Elves, at the moment. Currently making Crossbowman, who can carry double loot so we'll see if that helps.) I only get about 32 wood, 32 rock, 240 iron, 96 wheat, each time. Sometimes less, rarely, if ever, more. It seems to have a cap based on dungeon level. I sent out an army to a level three last night, and picked up 122 wood, 906 stone, 120 iron, 362 wheat, with the same 150ish units. (If only it wasn't six hours one way.  Heartbreak)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 12:34:50 PM

I don't know what the Progress % means on a dungeon nor what the different attack types mean. Woefully undocumented for testers.

Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:23 PM

My understanding of Progress is that it is basically the percentage of the dungeon killed off. Once it gets to 100%, the dungeon closes ("Dungeon is abandoned"), and a new one opens up somewhere else. I assume, at least. I've seen abandoned dungeons on other isles, but it could be at 100% progress a dungeon goes to the next level, which would be sort of neat.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:46:27 PM by Xurtan »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 02:46:58 PM

Takes awhile to do that, looks like.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:51 PM

Ok. So basically they're a waste of time at the moment. I don't even need to be logged in to make 8+ times that an hour. I imagine there's a lot of balancing that needs to happen still. Or maybe there's some rares in the dungeon I'm missing out on.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:25 PM

It is still extra income. What else are you going to do with those soldiers? (Assuming you recruit at all, that is.) No point in having them sit there when you can send them out to the nearest dungeon for free resources. Certainly not a primary way to gather supplies, though. Hell, I make 1200+ of each resource (other than wheat) an hour currently, and I doubt I'm at the high end of that scale.

It might be a good way to supplement your gold income, if you can find a good dungeon. I've seen in chat people talk about getting 400+ gold from level 3 dungeons.

I take it diamonds are real world bought currency, not currently activated?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:37:24 PM by Xurtan »
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 28, 2010, 05:42:12 PM

I'm getting about 30 per resource every dungeon raid.

It takes hours, and I make over a thousand times that per hour doing nothing.

Read over that doc the junior designer submitted before it gets coded, yeah?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 06:47:54 PM

Also: 288% build speed and shit still takes FOREVER.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:13 AM

Feels more like Lord of Travian than anything.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #62 on: March 01, 2010, 02:03:00 PM

I started playing and then got this feeling. I instantly shut my browser and havent looked back.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 01, 2010, 02:08:17 PM

I started playing and then got this feeling. I instantly shut my browser and havent looked back.

That would lbe what I did. I mean yeah, you don't have to invade other people, but then what's the point? And  if you do, you're in an instant arms race that you're going to lose unless you're psychotically addicted to the game  :and: got in at the start.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 01, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

At least they give the option to simply build.
I cant knock it until I see the other features that arent even implemented yet.

Also, that arms race only begins once you're ready.  Obviously, if you're able to build economically uncontested you're in a much better position than otherwise.  All of these games have little to do with production of arms and more to do with the resources required.

Gotta wait and see what the dungeons, quests, trade economy, and social/alliance structure are all about.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:29 PM

I'm fuzzy on how PvP works in this game -- is it opt-in so that you can choose to skip PvP entirely and just build your city up free of distractions?  Or does PvP mode engage once your city gets to a certain size?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:31 PM

I'm fuzzy on how PvP works in this game -- is it opt-in so that you can choose to skip PvP entirely and just build your city up free of distractions?  Or does PvP mode engage once your city gets to a certain size?

If you build a castle, you can be conquered.  If you dont, you merely become farmed.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 01, 2010, 07:55:56 PM

The resources you get from dungeons are based on the number of enemies you face. You get 15x of the primary resource (wood from forest, iron from mountain, stone from hill), 2x of the other two resources, and you always get 6x food. Assuming you have the carrying capacity to haul it back with you. The monsters in each type also have different weaknesses, broadly speaking.

The largest dungeon I have tried so far was a level 4, which had 317 orcs.  I brought home 4,744 Iron, but it was somewhat costly in lost troops. Raiding dungeons doesn't hold a candle to steady production, but it's something extra to do, especially as the build times increase, and becomes more useful with a larger army. You can split forces and run more than one at once, for example. Sticking with cavalry once you have it also does a lot for turnaround time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:45 PM

Feels even more like Eve skill tree management. I "play" about 20 minutes a day, which is about 4 log ins to max out my build queue smiley There's nothing realtime about this game except the smokestacks. Oh and progress bars.

If I'm reading the date thing right, the newbie halo drops on Saturday. That's when it gets interesting maybe? How does one get a Castle? I've got quite an army getting fat and lazy.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 03, 2010, 07:01:40 PM

I wish I could tell my troops to haul off / target a specific resource.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Lord of Ultima  
Jump to: