Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 301664 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #665 on: April 16, 2010, 02:42:51 PM

I've got a huge desk which is just the right height to allow me to sit in a relaxed pose in a stressless.

A stressless, btw, is god's gift to geeks.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #666 on: April 16, 2010, 05:58:31 PM

I turned my iPad into a giant mousepad for my Windows 7 box. It works over TCP/IP rather well and it services as a remote control for my DVD player while on the couch.

I mistakenly tried to play Bad Company 2 using the iPad as the mouse, and promptly launched a 40mm grenade into my teammate's face while running around in random directions.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #667 on: April 16, 2010, 06:12:00 PM

I still think the iPad is stupid. But one of my workmates is so convinced it's a revolution, he bet me $50 that I'll buy one in the next 18 months.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #668 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:13 PM

I still think the iPad is stupid. But one of my workmates is so convinced it's a revolution, he bet me $50 that I'll buy one in the next 18 months.

Can I get in on that action?  I'll bet him I don't buy one in the next 18 months either.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: April 16, 2010, 11:42:02 PM

This is my HTML/CSS developer app:

How have I survived so long without paying Apple $3000 for a workstation and Adobe $2000 for a design program?  After all, fuck knowing how to write the code myself or anything, clearly I need a program to hold my hand and do it for me.  Of course, I also don't attend web development seminars for the same reason I don't attend high school algebra classes, so maybe the attendees really do need those macs.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #670 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:55 AM

Oh come on now, you can at least use notepad++ or something!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:05 AM

"copy con" too hard for you, Mr Fancypants?  why so serious?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #672 on: April 17, 2010, 01:14:04 AM

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: April 17, 2010, 01:37:29 AM

"copy con" too hard for you, Mr Fancypants?  why so serious?

Actually, yeah.  Not for the initial creation, but I'm a bigger believer in repairing than proofreading, so I bang out the code, fire it up in a few different browsers, then look at what parts are fucked up and go back into the code to find out where I typoed.  And sadly copy con isn't so good for editing the files once written!  But there's no substitute for the cleanliness of handwritten websites.  I can put up a multi-page website in under 400k, graphics and all.  My parner uses Netobjects Fusion and the resulting code is unreadable gibberish and the websites are bloated to hell.  In fairness, I don't know a damn thing about PHP and he writes online stores in it; it's not like he's a useless hack or anything.  But I die a little inside when I see the HTML generated by his program.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:03 AM

Actually, yeah.  Not for the initial creation, but I'm a bigger believer in repairing than proofreading, so I bang out the code, fire it up in a few different browsers, then look at what parts are fucked up and go back into the code to find out where I typoed.  And sadly copy con isn't so good for editing the files once written!  But there's no substitute for the cleanliness of handwritten websites.  I can put up a multi-page website in under 400k, graphics and all.  My parner uses Netobjects Fusion and the resulting code is unreadable gibberish and the websites are bloated to hell.  In fairness, I don't know a damn thing about PHP and he writes online stores in it; it's not like he's a useless hack or anything.  But I die a little inside when I see the HTML generated by his program.
This is part of why I hate being moved from my own web server to some silly CMS piece of trash.  Not only am I constrained to its parameters, but it turns two minute jobs into twenty minute ones (literally, not figuratively), then I have to wait for publishing cycles to see if my changes even do what I want, and it rewrites my code!

It even tries to rewrite my longer php snippets despite them being in code blocks.

Mob

I got around it by doing a simple include statement.  It doesn't seem to touch my php then.  Which you know, could work for my HTML, too.  That's it!  You're a genius!  I'll do include files for all my HTML.  Muahahahaha!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #675 on: April 17, 2010, 08:54:17 AM

Our department is considering changing from vanilla CSS templates to Drupal CMS, and I'm not sure its a very good solution. The idea is that with Drupal, faculty can edit their own publications page. However, Drupal seems so heavy and invasive that I think I'd rather do the updates myself as I have been doing.

Oh, and the iPad really really isn't very good at content creation. It'll do as an emergency SSH into a server if you need to, but anything with long lines of code that require you to be precise in your editing is a bit of a nightmare.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: April 17, 2010, 02:16:32 PM

Stick with your old system.  Write a form so faculty can enter what they want if you must.  Most still wouldn't ever update their pages, especially if it requires learning on their part, and they will find a way to break it.  The trade-off isn't worth it.

I wonder how well the iPad works with various types of CMS.  Seems like it'd be one more frustration on top of what those systems introduce.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: April 17, 2010, 04:17:27 PM

Nice little article on the similarities of the iPad to Alan Kay's 40 year old 'Dynabook'. Title's sensationalist but the article itself is pretty objective.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #678 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:04 PM

Nice little article on the similarities of the iPad to Alan Kay's 40 year old 'Dynabook'. Title's sensationalist but the article itself is pretty objective.
It's kind of hard for Apple to have stolen the idea from Alan Kay when 1) Alan worked at Apple for a while disseminating his ideas throughout the company and 2) Alan specifically told Steve Jobs about the potential for an iPhone with a larger screen back when the iPhone was released:

“When the Mac first came out, Newsweek asked me what I [thought] of it. I said: Well, it’s the first personal computer worth criticizing. So at the end of the presentation, Steve came up to me and said: Is the iPhone worth criticizing? And I said: Make the screen five inches by eight inches, and you’ll rule the world.”
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #679 on: April 17, 2010, 06:10:30 PM

Charlie Brooker on the iPad

Apologies if this has been linked before, but it's still worthwhile either way.

awesome, for real

Edit by Trippy: you fail at linking
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:04:59 PM by Trippy »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: April 17, 2010, 09:57:53 PM

It’s like having an Xbox or Playstation in the palm of your hands.

It's actually exactly like that.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should pick a 360 up with their hands and try playing a game with it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: April 18, 2010, 01:40:19 AM

Oh fuck. I lolled.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #682 on: April 18, 2010, 08:13:19 AM

In other news, that video where the cat's fascinated by the iPad app? Well, my cats couldn't give a flying fuck  why so serious?

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #683 on: April 18, 2010, 08:20:21 AM

I wonder if Apple has to deal with return reasons like "magical device does not delight my cats."

Probably.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: April 18, 2010, 09:38:38 AM

I think it's a pretty safe bet they do.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: April 18, 2010, 11:48:11 AM

Visited the Apple Store yesterday and people were queued up just to touch one. Like 3+ tables with ~6 iPads each…

…had seen one up close earlier in the week at a ruby user group meeting but did get to finger it again and would have added it to my purchases (picked up one of the new 13" MBP) but sales dude informed me they completely sold out the day before.

Book reader is way sweeter than Kindle — can do color, pictures, charts, graphs, etc.… …and while Kindle better at pure text with e-ink, page flipping and PDF experience sucks on Kindle, and is done eloquently on iPad.

Waiting for v2 and/or price cut…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:37 PM

Book reader is way sweeter than Kindle — can do color, pictures, charts, graphs, etc.… …and while Kindle better at pure text with e-ink, page flipping and PDF experience sucks on Kindle, and is done eloquently on iPad.

How's that to lug around?

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: April 18, 2010, 12:19:29 PM

How's that to lug around?

Without having it for an extended time, I can't appraise, though those I know that have them are indeed enamored (except for the criticisms of iWork which appears needlessly and brain numbing hobbled and lack of printing (or cumbersome kludginess)).

I will say it was not as large as I expected (it's not much that much larger than an old school Franklin Day Planner) but it was slightly heavier than anticipated, but still way less a load than that 13" MBP I bought (1.5 lb v. 4.5 lb).

But you might not even need to hold it — it seems just dandy to place flat on table or prop up (via case) or with a pair of cheap black rubber stoppers.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #688 on: April 18, 2010, 12:31:34 PM

But you might not even need to hold it — it seems just dandy to place flat on table or prop up (via case) or with a pair of cheap black rubber stoppers.

Expect to see those at the apple store for $59.95 soon.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #689 on: April 18, 2010, 12:36:38 PM

Expect to see those at the apple store for $59.95 soon.

I found a case for mine for 20 bucks at Amazon. As far as lugging it around, its fine. Now, I am having a hard time finding daily uses for it as an IT guy. The department got the thing for me to use, and I'm getting a bit embarrassed by it.

I'm still using my Kindle over it, because it really isn't very pleasant to read from for a dedicated period of time.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: April 18, 2010, 03:52:47 PM

I've messed around with one at the best buy near my office, and my initial assessment of 'giant ipod' played out like I expected it to.  The screen's as beautiful as one would expect, but the thing was ugly with finger smears all over.  My ipod has a matte screen protector on it that does a good job of hiding fingerprints; I imagine similar are available for the ipad.  It's too big to be convenient to carry, too small to be awesome enough to be worth carrying everywhere, and doesn't do anything my ipod doesn't do.  If it were significantly cheaper, I'd be tempted.  It'd be a sweet nerd toy, no question.  But for work I keep a Dell Vostro A90 in a briefcase with my tools and CDs/flash drives.  It has magical things like a keyboard, USB ports, Windows 7, and OS X Snow Leopard.  Carrying around the ipad would require that I toss the netbook to make room for it in my case, and it's simply not nearly as useful.

Get an ipad strong enough to support a real OS and I'll be all about it.  Significantly drop its price and I might splurge on it as a shiny toy.  With neither of those things being the case, I really don't see the point.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:50 PM

It’s like having an Xbox or Playstation in the palm of your hands.

It's actually exactly like that.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should pick a 360 up with their hands and try playing a game with it.

So I can play Mass Effect 2 on it?  World of Warcraft? 
Jesus.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:52 PM

Jesus.

Read what I wrote again.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #693 on: April 19, 2010, 01:21:38 AM

why so serious?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:16 AM

Jesus.

Read what I wrote again.
Tannhauser fell into the sarchasm and can't get out.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: April 19, 2010, 03:44:27 AM

Why did we stop using green again?   Heartbreak

Still, glad that was sarcasm, because that post almost made me lose hope in mankind.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:22 AM

Well this will make multi-touch that much harder...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: April 20, 2010, 11:49:55 AM

Apple Rejects Kid-Friendly Programming App

Apple last week removed an app called Scratch from its iPhone and iPad App Store. The Scratch app displayed stories, games and animations made by children using MIT’s Scratch platform, which was built on top of Kay’s programming language Squeak, according to MIT.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: April 20, 2010, 12:10:16 PM

The app was written by a guy named Mcintosh, too.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: April 22, 2010, 03:17:07 PM

Those with an iPad, does it support multi-touch gestures for back/forward while browsing? I forgot to test while I was looking at one at BB. And yeah, its a lot heavier than I care for, but I love the screen size and zooming capability - which my netbook could sorely use.

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad  
Jump to: