Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 299358 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1120 on: October 29, 2010, 07:26:33 PM

The only reason i take my laptop with me even on business is because of Skype and Powerpoint.

Skype and Keynote both can run on the iPad :D

I need the video for Skype, and iPad Keynote is inadequate for my typical decks. :(

Also, Flash, since i work with it now.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: October 30, 2010, 07:23:03 AM

Stupid iPad developers.  No I will not pay $5 to buy your time wasted game.  No reason for some of these apps to be so much more expensive than their iPhone versions...

Other than this I'm loving it
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:41 AM

iPad a Therapeutic Marvel for the Disabled

Since its debut in April, the iPad has become a popular therapeutic tool for people with disabilities of all kinds, though no one keeps track of how many are used this way, and studies are just getting under way to test its effectiveness, which varies widely depending on diagnosis.

A speech pathologist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center uses text-to-speech applications to give patients a voice. Christopher Bulger, a 16-year-old in Chicago who injured his spine in a car accident, used an iPad to surf the Internet during the early stages of his rehabilitation, when his hands were clenched into fists. “It was nice because you progressed from the knuckle to the finger to using more than one knuckle on the screen,” he said.

Parents of autistic children are using applications to teach them basic skills, like brushing teeth and communicating better.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:37 PM

Never played the actual board game, but Ra has been made as s a nifty iPad (and runs on iPhone/iPod Touch) game… 

Don't really understand the angst over a $4.99 app — that's still about the cost of a Venti drink at Starbucks.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/ra-designed-by-reiner-knizia/id400213892?mt=8

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: November 10, 2010, 01:07:13 PM

Don't really understand the angst over a $4.99 app — that's still about the cost of a Venti drink at Starbucks.

I've come to terms of it, it was mostly changing my mentality from a "buying a quick one off app" to buying apps I'll get more use out of than with my phone.

Though some iPad apps have huge price jumps from the iphone versions for no reason.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: November 10, 2010, 01:27:49 PM

I don't think anyone who owns an iPad should complain about something related to it being over-priced.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1126 on: November 10, 2010, 03:29:28 PM

I don't think anyone who owns an iPad should complain about something related to it being over-priced.
I won mine.

I would never endorse this product to another human being.

Edit: I would not, however, complain about the price of an app unless it was extraordinarily off from what such a thing should actually be worth.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: November 13, 2010, 01:08:43 PM

So are you guys still using your iPads regularly?  

I play the rare game and use it as an oversized life counter for Magic the Gathering (which I don't even do anymore since someone cloned the app for Android). Other than that, it's just another piece of tech in my arsenal that fires blanks.

Slightly OT, which app is that?  I have a few I've tried on my Droid that work for what I wanted, but none that I really really liked.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: November 21, 2010, 07:18:51 AM

So Rage HD by Id software is pretty fun, and the graphics are amazing!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1129 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:00 AM

How are the controls? These things can look good on the iPad, but lose their appeal to me once I try to, you know, play them.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1130 on: November 21, 2010, 09:40:44 AM

So are you guys still using your iPads regularly? 

I play the rare game and use it as an oversized life counter for Magic the Gathering (which I don't even do anymore since someone cloned the app for Android). Other than that, it's just another piece of tech in my arsenal that fires blanks.

Slightly OT, which app is that?  I have a few I've tried on my Droid that work for what I wanted, but none that I really really liked.
I think it's called Lifecounter on both platforms.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: November 21, 2010, 10:58:11 AM

How are the controls? These things can look good on the iPad, but lose their appeal to me once I try to, you know, play them.

Controls feel good to me.  Its a rails shooter, so you only worry about shooting and dodging, but the game handles movement.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:17 AM

I usually hate iPhone games like Rage, but it is pretty fun. I've only played on my phone so far though, so I can't speak to the iPad controls.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1133 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:14 PM

The iPad controls, once you get to used to them, feel better to me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: November 22, 2010, 07:01:11 PM

I wonder if Apple will sell a lot of them over the holidays?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1135 on: November 22, 2010, 07:05:30 PM

Can I use this thread for general iThing bitching?

My iPod's battery has finally given up the ghost.  Apple apparently charges $80 plus shipping to remedy this problem by sending you a refurb with a new battery (and the expectation that you'll be giving them another $80 in a couple of years when the new one dies).  I remember hearing a lot of complaints about the battery issue way back when I bought the thing, and thinking it would be annoying, but I thought it would be more like I'd have to bring the thing in to the store and have them install a new $20 battery.

Currently thinking I'll send it off to a third party repair shop that'll replace the battery for $60 with one that is supposedly better and comes with a lifetime warranty to prove it.  Seems slightly sketchy, but if it works it's a lot better than what Apple is selling.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: November 23, 2010, 12:48:42 AM

Yeah, always plan on upgrading when the battery dies out or go third party. It seems to be better with newer devices, but historically Apple batteries suck, both original and replacement ones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1137 on: November 23, 2010, 03:37:20 PM

I seriously contemplated upgrading, but I don't think the differences between the 4th gen and the 1st gen are worth $300.   undecided

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: December 16, 2010, 04:56:09 AM

iBand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XNfWNooz4

I really want one of these now but I'm going to wait for version 2.0

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1139 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:59 PM

That is dumb. No offense. But dumb dumb dumb. I have 8bitone on my ipod and I still think it's dumb.

For those of you wondering: http://www.yudo.jp/en/music/eightbitone
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: December 17, 2010, 03:13:46 AM

Currently thinking I'll send it off to a third party repair shop that'll replace the battery for $60 with one that is supposedly better and comes with a lifetime warranty to prove it.  Seems slightly sketchy, but if it works it's a lot better than what Apple is selling.

I have used http://www.iresq.com/ to repair an ipod mini and an original ipod in the past.  Fast turn around and both units are still working without a hitch.

As for the iPad, I put an Otterbox Defender case on my daughter's iPad before handing it over to her.  She uses it daily for things like wikipedia, ibooks, and a few games.  Paying for iPad games is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying Nintendo DS cartridges.  So far she has enjoyed the pottery game http://www.idreams.pl/Pottery/ , a game in which she raises frogs http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-frogs/id386644958?mt=8 , reading tintin comics, and a cute little game where you have to cut a rope http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cut-the-rope-hd/id394610743?mt=8 the most.

I might get one for myself just to take advantage of the Victoria's Secret app.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: December 17, 2010, 05:22:19 AM

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1142 on: December 17, 2010, 08:39:18 AM

Huge sale on EA apps for CHristmas. Just about everything is 99 cents and applies to all iOS versions.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: December 17, 2010, 11:47:16 AM

Cut the Rope is an awesome game.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #1144 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:33 PM

Not iPad related - this only works on iPhones or the latest Touch - but it's cool and I don't want to start/bump another thread.

http://questvisual.com/

Basically a neat word for word translation tool that utilizes the camera. Demo download is free - spanish to english is $5 english to spanish is $5.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: December 19, 2010, 08:01:31 AM

If you have an iPad and a cat get "Game for cats." My cats leveled up twice last night.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1146 on: January 03, 2011, 05:00:02 AM

And cost you how much extra? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(what I'm talking about is what the comments in this link is referring to: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/game-for-cats/id406740405?mt=8)

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: January 03, 2011, 07:57:41 AM

That's clever.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad  
Jump to: