Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:43:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 301679 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: April 05, 2010, 09:23:05 AM

I hear that 9 out of 10 grandmothers prefer multitasking in their internet enabled devices.  And flash.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:10 AM

My wife, who is not at all computer-savvy but who is considering buying an iPad, had heard about the flash issue. She has no idea what flash is, but is concerned about it. The media impact of this is broader (by at least one person) than I expected.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #527 on: April 05, 2010, 09:30:52 AM

She'd understand what it meant the first time she went to a flash-required website and got the blue box of denial.  (Or at least she'd feel the pain -- the browser doesn't actually tell you that the problem is lack of Flash support.)  It's good practice for the site to offer an HTML alternative in case the browser doesn't support Flash, but that doesn't mean every site does it.  There have been a number of instances with my iPod where I wanted to look up some info on, say, a restaurant's website, and I couldn't load the site because it was all in Flash, or had a short Flash intro at the beginning that was supposed to redirect to the real site.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #528 on: April 05, 2010, 09:57:13 AM

a short Flash intro at the beginning that was supposed to redirect to the real site.

I hate that. Some of them aren't short either.

http://www.tr-i.com/

That said, I prefer my web browsers to support all the crap that people use, just in case I somehow need it. Maybe Google can make a browser for Apple's devices and sue for anti-competitive behaviour when Apple blocks the app. :)

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: April 05, 2010, 10:01:00 AM

That said, I prefer my web browsers to support all the crap that people use, just in case I somehow need it. Maybe Google can make a browser for Apple's devices and sue for anti-competitive behaviour when Apple blocks the app. :)

Opera supposedly has an iphone browser pending approval
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: April 05, 2010, 11:55:51 AM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:52 PM

Mmmm aluminum dust!  Eat
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:39 PM

Sorry, I don't get the flash hate, not with how much it has improved the Internets.

Its apple/mac/Linux that is the problem, not flash.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:04:02 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: April 05, 2010, 02:04:39 PM

It's how Flash is often used, unnecessarily, because the web designer heard that you have to make everything in Flash.  It's like using large point blinking text just because you can.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:21 PM

It's how Flash is often used, unnecessarily, because the web designer heard that you have to make everything in Flash.  It's like using large point blinking text just because you can.

And you will continue to find that forever with anything.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: April 05, 2010, 03:46:03 PM

Flash is just a necessary evil. Just like HTML, CSS, HTTP, parts of JavaScript and the entire DOM API. Flash is somewhat unique however since its shortcomings are often experienced by the users, while the others can (largely) be managed by the developer.

Thing is, Flash isn't the elephant in the room any more than most of the other things that are used on the web. Developers (web ones especially) tend to go into a frantic circlejerk over standards but the truth is that the standards, even if implemented well, typically blow. CSS is acceptable for simple styling but abysmal for layout (please center this variable-sized box on both axes. The CSS3 spec is just embarrassing. Rounded corners, wooo!) HTML as a concept is just wrong (you can't seperate layout and semantics with HTML, no matter how much W3C wants us think so. You just can't.) HTTP was fine for sending static pages back when mankind used to bang rocks together to make fire, but since people started working around that limitation, the shortcomings have become numerous. AJAX, Comet, polling (short or long) are all hacks to make a stateless protocol more stateful. Ironically, Flash is also almost unique in the sense that very little needs to be done to actually have it run in multiple browsers (embedding, mostly.)

My point is, Jobs should ban the entire web if he's concerned over hackjobs. He isn't, though, or Apple would have their own project (FappleLight, maybe?) to deal with the problem domain that Flash covers. HTML5 isn't a solution, it's just a side (or down-)grade to take Adobe out of the equation. It can grow into something pretty cool, but we're many, many years away from the point where Flash games of today can be produced in HTML5. Flash isn't slow, insecure or whatever because it's not Apple, but because of its capabilities. Simply put, you aren't going to get Flash-but-without-the-problems. The best one can hope for is really Flash-with-a-few-problems-less.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:51:31 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #536 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50:02 PM

I wish I could find a good reason to buy one.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #537 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:30 PM

The biggest issue with flash is that its architecture makes it really hard to accelerate with modern hardware.  Adobe is franticly trying to improve this in recent version updates, but it's still a mess.  With larger displays (a lot more pixels to touch), purely software scene rendering does not scale well, and having to have software touch pixels that your hardware video codec generates causes a lot of overhead, cache thrash, etc.

Modern OS and browser design can sandbox things pretty well (I believe the chrome guys run flash in a separate process container to limit the security and stability impact, for example).

Playing a fullscreen video with no "chrome" on a modern ARM SoC with hardware h264/mpeg codec or dsp support (as all of the popular SoCs have -- Apple's A4 is not special here) is an extremely low power operation, requiring the CPU to run for very tiny periods of time every few frames or once a frame worst case.  Introducing a software render step on top of that (as flash apps often do) can take you from CPU idle 99% of the time (power determined by battery size, display/backlight power cost and codec) to CPU running 50% or more of the time which starts to seriously impact battery life.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:36 PM

Yes, Flash is comparatively slow and without detailed knowledge of the inner workings of Flash, I have no problems believing that Flash could be improved/replaced in many ways, it's just that sticking your head in the sand isn't going to help. Like I said, build your own RIA container like Microsoft is doing, work with Adobe to produce a subset player (that isn't a stand-alone app like the YouTube app), just do SOMETHING other than saying "X sucks because I say so, we're going to simply ignore that everyone wants it."

I'm being a bit harsh here, but presumably you get my drift. It's corporate arrogance at its worst.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:34 PM

Android's getting flash.  Chrome's got flash.  Even though it's a pain in the butt, Google's working with Adobe to make it go, because hey, there's a lot of flash content out there and people want it to work... I mean hell, how am I going to watch Strongbad Emails on my phone otherwise?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: April 05, 2010, 08:44:42 PM

Indeed, my nerdrage was rather specifically directed at Apple/Jobs. I'm a fan of design purity, if it's for technical people. If it's consumer devices, I expect things to... well, work as expected.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:41 PM

Yeah, I remain torn on this one.  Flash is pretty terrible and I'd love to see it die and leave us all in peace, but fundamentally I believe in open platforms, and I think Steve actively banning it is a greater evil.

Note open platforms, not necessarily open source. It's far more important to me that computing platforms have no barrier to app development and deployment than that the source for everything be available -- platform source is a nice to have, open platform is a fundamental requirement for a modern computer, in my mind.

It's unclear if you could even ship a third party ipod/ipad browser with flash, due to the rules against embedded languages (hell, depending on how you parse that any web browser would be disallowed due to javascript...).
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: April 05, 2010, 09:24:50 PM

Android's getting flash.  Chrome's got flash.  Even though it's a pain in the butt, Google's working with Adobe to make it go, because hey, there's a lot of flash content out there and people want it to work... I mean hell, how am I going to watch Strongbad Emails on my phone otherwise?

Trend is not good for Flash. It's not going to disappear entirely but we already are seeing it phased out in lieu of (a) H.264 for video which will play on the millions of iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads natively in the browser and (b) javascript library frameworks which supplant Flash for the little fade out slideshow animated image banners. And Apple is a big part of that, like it or not. There's no reason that Strongbad can't be encoded as H.264 and playable on the iPhone, though it's doubtful old repositories will be converted. Eventually, though, H.264 is going to be the lingua franca of web video, with Flash a historic footnote, just like RealPlayer/RealMedia before it, and the never to be nascent ogg theora format.

Flash sucks. It runs horribly on any other platform (Apple, Linux and most mobile devices) than a modern Windows OS machine, and if  you haven't noticed, unlike 10 years ago, that market is too large to ignore and relegate support to no longer homogenous tidings.

Even Google is opting for HTML 5 (judging from those that work there and there efforts in advancing HTML 5 standards, whereas Adobe is doing their best to delay/stall) and only resorting to Flash as a fallback.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #543 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:39 PM

Call me Mr. Tinfoil Headcase, but I suspect the flash blockade by Apple has far more to do with ITunes as a content portal than any real concern about Flash's processing needs. The thing that I don't think Job's has thought through is that if the iPad gets enough marketshare, the 'free content' stuff, such as Hulu, will just transcribe their content into iPad compatible formats. It may take a couple of years, but the internets is faster and more agile than Apple, Microsoft or any one behemoth.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: April 05, 2010, 09:30:48 PM

Google's definitely heavily invested in HTML5.  I'd agree that Flash has questionable future, but right now there's still a lot of flash content out there and it seems worthwhile to support it if possible.  Because, at the end of the day, users just want the websites they visit to work, no matter what device they use to surf the web.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: April 05, 2010, 10:04:02 PM

Problem is that people keep talking about Flash as if playing video was the only thing it did. Yes, it is used a lot for video playback, but sites like Kongregate have found some minor uses for it too. Video is the easy part to solve. HTML5's true multimedia capability will likely be pretty crap for years to come.

There's another thing concerning HTML5 which is true for all open standards - feature creep. Mozilla will add a couple of features, so will Google, Microsoft is going to add a tonne (because that's their m.o. - "screw standards"), Apple a couple of others et c. until HTML5 is as motley as CSS. For better or for worse, this isn't the case with Flash. I feel opening the browser to multimedia (the nineties are back!) is opening a can of worms: there's so much to do that different browser vendors will make different decisions on what to implement.

The HTML5 spec, as it is, isn't powerful or flexible enough to replace Flash, it's going to need a whole swab of proprietary extensions to be useable as a real platform. Right now it's just a couple of novelty features that makes certain things sorta-kinda-almost viable.

Engels,
it's a theory many people subscribe to in all honesty. It's in-character somehow. Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:53 AM

Yes, Flash is comparatively slow

Negative, its slow on machines that intentional restrict access to hardware and other resources. Anything else, is just bad code/use of flash itself. We are not talking VM's here.  why so serious?

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:42 AM

Yes, Flash is comparatively slow

Negative, its slow on machines that intentional restrict access to hardware and other resources. Anything else, is just bad code/use of flash itself. We are not talking VM's here.  why so serious?

Bullshit.

As subpar (compared to Windows) as Flash runs on the Apple platform, it's even worse on Linux where there is nearly no "restricted access to hardware and other resources" — where we're looking at the same hardware, but a Penguin instead of Microsoft Bob (or whatever the old clippy animation was).

Regarding web usage of Flash — yes, video is far from the only thing that Flash does, but it's the main usage of Flash on the web. Though other application usages are just as affected…

* …animated image banners — easily done with JS frameworks like jQuery, Prototype, MooTools, YUI, etc.… …and if you hadn't noticed, new site refreshes are dumping the flash in lieu of JS solutions.

* …games — yeah, not going away immediately, but I suspect HTML 5 will supplant this too — if Quake can be written in HTML 5, I'm sure most of the silly Flash games can be too. Also, the biggest FB game maker, Zynga, is eagerly porting its games to the iPad/iPhone platform.

* …other — documents? Audio? These are subpar web alternatives even today.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: April 06, 2010, 09:58:22 AM

So how does Silverlight fit in this whole equation?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #549 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:06 PM

It doesn't. No one but microsoft likes it and trying to get people to install some activex plugin to even get it to work is like pulling teeth.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12:27 PM

It doesn't. No one but microsoft likes it and trying to get people to install some activex plugin to even get it to work is like pulling teeth.

Except netflix, and the olympics, and quite a bit of other big organizations..........
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #551 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:47 PM

Ya, I too didn't have too much trouble with Silverlight, either in IE8 or Chrome.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #552 on: April 06, 2010, 04:44:15 PM

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:27 PM

Except netflix, and the olympics, and quite a bit of other big organizations..........
What I was really wondering was whether the iPad permits Silverlight...

Fake edit: Or I could just Google it...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #554 on: April 06, 2010, 05:31:03 PM

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:14 PM

Cool! awesome, for real

And hey, get off Silverlight, it's pretty darn cool when compared to Flash. smiley

Regarding web usage of Flash — yes, video is far from the only thing that Flash does, but it's the main usage of Flash on the web. Though other application usages are just as affected…

* …animated image banners — easily done with JS frameworks like jQuery, Prototype, MooTools, YUI, etc.… …and if you hadn't noticed, new site refreshes are dumping the flash in lieu of JS solutions.

* …games — yeah, not going away immediately, but I suspect HTML 5 will supplant this too — if Quake can be written in HTML 5, I'm sure most of the silly Flash games can be too. Also, the biggest FB game maker, Zynga, is eagerly porting its games to the iPad/iPhone platform.

* …other — documents? Audio? These are subpar web alternatives even today.
The Quake 2 port wasn't written in HTML5, which was exactly my point. It was written using a HTML5 Canvas and a number of other technologies that aren't actually part of the specification, like WebSockets and WebGL, neither of which in turn have finalized specifications. Hell, even HTML5 isn't a W3C recommendation yet. This is the feature creep I'm speaking of - vendors throwing stuff in there hoping to appeal to developers, resulting in browser-specific apps and aggravating the already significant issue of browser incompatability.

Secondly, we're talking browser adaptation for HTML5 to work commercially, something history tells us is insanely slow. It's not a matter of just getting the technology out the door, it'll be years before it has reached enough desktops to be considered exclusively. The reason JavaScript has gained such a foothold the past 4-5 years is because it's supported relatively well all the way back to IE6 (XMLHTTP mostly), it has just been neglected. The beauty of a plug-in like Flash is again that plug-ins have been supported in some form since the dawn of time, it doesn't require the user to upgrade his or her browser, it's just an additional download. It has a played a large part in the success of Flash that it has worked fairly well almost regardless of browser. Maybe someone should write an ActiveX-plugin for HTML5 support? Grin

Flash is likely going to go away sooner or later, but my belief is that it'll be around for several years still, because the end users like it (not that most know the difference, they just like the content Flash gives them.) HTML5 needs to be much better at doing what Flash is doing before people in general will care. I don't see that an essentially lamer but "standards compliant" API is going to ursurp Flash because geeks think it should. tongue

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: April 06, 2010, 08:00:03 PM

Flash is likely going to go away sooner or later, but my belief is that it'll be around for several years still, because the end users like it (not that most know the difference, they just like the content Flash gives them.) HTML5 needs to be much better at doing what Flash is doing before people in general will care. I don't see that an essentially lamer but "standards compliant" API is going to ursurp Flash because geeks think it should. tongue

The discussion about standards is of tertiary concern. Standards are never going to be universal. All that needs to happen is that it works "good enough". Even today, with the standard in flux, new sites and site refreshes are popping up using HTML 5 even if they have to use 3 separate CSS properties to round corners, declare background opacity, etc.…

I'm not talking of the theoretical, I'm referring to what is happening right now, circa 2010 in web site development. Flash is incrementally being discarded or kept as a graceful fallback. It's already occurring with the annoying epilepsy inducing flashing banners and it's starting now with video where video tags are going to be used and Flash just a fallback for IE browsers (and older browsers). Google is headed that way. Apple is already there. Everyone else is going to follow, Microsoft and Adobe be damned.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

iPad doesn't like sunlight:
Over at The Next Web, meanwhile, there's a tale from an iPad user in Texas who says his iPad shut down after "a little over an hour" in the great outdoors: "I let it sit for a minute or two, then it happened again maybe 30 minutes later."
It'll be functionally useless outdoors all along the Gulf Coast for nine months out of the year.  Awesome.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:40 PM

Apparently they do thermal shutdown at 35C, which seems pretty low.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #559 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:17 PM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad  
Jump to: