Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853637 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3185 on: September 01, 2020, 10:40:00 PM

I need to see some real-world testing, particulary for VR.  I have a 2080 Super that already makes mincemeat of most flat games, and even most VR.  But if the bump up to a 3080 is big enough, I might go for it.  The old cards can be sold for quite a lot, I suspect.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #3186 on: September 01, 2020, 11:57:55 PM

The 980ti still makes mincemeat out of everything that isn't 4k. The only thing that'll make me upgrade is Cyberpunk and even then I might not even need to.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3187 on: September 02, 2020, 02:32:18 AM

Is that true even at 120hz and up?  If so, that's pretty amazing.  And annoying that this tech has slowed to a creeping halt.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3188 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:04 AM

No it’s not true. I have a 1080 (and an i5) which is faster than a 980ti and game at 1080p and there are plenty of games at max settings that can’t hold a stable 60fps.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3189 on: September 02, 2020, 08:50:09 AM

The 9xx and 10xx are going to feel dated once the base target is the new consoles. Even when the tech is supported (RTX in 10xx), it's going to perform like a dog.

I'm biased because I absolutely love ray tracing, but DLSS is also a game-changer. I'd be interested in how DLSS improves VR, since ideally my next pc would be built with that in mind.

Playing stuff on the PS4 Pro, which tends to target framerates over quality, I've become more aware of framerate in general. I used to be just fine with some slowdown in service of image quality, but after playing GTA V on the PS I missed the sheer variety and volume of cars available. Went back to the PC, and while it's gorgeous (relatively), the chugging of my 970 trying to keep up with it was tough to deal with. The dual focus of quality and speed (rather than resolution) of gpu development is something I'm  looking forward to.

Also, Cyberpunk. I do not want to turn down from ultra on that one, it's so visually rich (I just wish it would get held back another year for full RTX implementation!).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3190 on: September 02, 2020, 09:28:48 AM

Digital Foundry 3080 first look with relative numbers between 2080 and 3080 on NVIDIA selected titles: https://youtu.be/cWD01yUQdVA

tl;dw 3080 ranges around 60% - 80% faster than 2080 at 4K. It’s also appears to be able to hold a stable v-sync enabled 60 FPS at 4K on the Borderlands 3 benchmark where the 2080 can only average about 31 FPS.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3191 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:57 AM

A look at the power draw, from the MSI livestream today:

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3192 on: September 02, 2020, 03:29:38 PM

The 980ti still makes mincemeat out of everything that isn't 4k. The only thing that'll make me upgrade is Cyberpunk and even then I might not even need to.

Is that true even at 120hz and up?  If so, that's pretty amazing.  And annoying that this tech has slowed to a creeping halt.

I'm also confused 1440p on 27" with steady 60+ fps is a pretty crazy demand load I've found. Now admittedly the core cpu part of my pc is quite (5yrs) old but....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:42:49 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3193 on: September 03, 2020, 08:09:09 AM

That video looks very promising. 

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3194 on: September 05, 2020, 04:59:44 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087GH5SK2/

this was not what i meant to end up buying when i started looking at monitors but they give me a headache and this seems like a good price, pair it with a 10850K and use entirely old stuff for everything else for now....

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3195 on: September 06, 2020, 09:58:02 AM

I'm looking at the same mobo. Main dings I can see thus far are related to installing windows and drivers, so what I would consider 'the usuals' :D

I'm stuck on case choice. I like the airflow of the Fractal Meshify C, but I dislike the front panel look and the idea of having the case more or less open to my seating position at head level seems odd. I love the look of the Define C (same case with dampening foam, without the mesh front)...but I'm planning on sticking a hot cpu and gpu in there (10850k and 3080). I've got an Antec p80 that I've been using for a decade, the define C looks very similar, but the thermals have been an issue in the past with hotter parts (though it's fine with the 970, the old 8800 was toasty)

My basic setup would be https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DHJtcq

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Master
i9 10850k with a Noctua NH-15 (considering the NH-15S for the gpu offset)
32GB (2x16) G.Skill ripjaws 3200 CL14
Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB m.2 nvme

Carrying forward my 970 gpu and Seasonic SSR-850-TD psu.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3196 on: September 06, 2020, 11:22:40 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3197 on: September 06, 2020, 12:36:51 PM

Yeah, I was looking at their studies. That article bugged me because it's stock fans, which nobody reading an article like that will be using. But in the video for the comparison of the meshify and define, they put a couple fans in the front for a head-to-head. Nearly identical on gpu but the cpu was 6C cooler in the meshify. That's pretty much the only tangible difference, everything else seems to approach margin of error.

And I'm focused on these two because they seem like the best performers that aren't ugly AF (design, lights, windows) and are relatively small. I like the NZXT H710 but it's 4" higher and 4" deeper (also...window).
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3198 on: September 06, 2020, 04:23:22 PM

I'm looking at the same mobo. Main dings I can see thus far are related to installing windows and drivers, so what I would consider 'the usuals' :D

I'm stuck on case choice. I like the airflow of the Fractal Meshify C, but I dislike the front panel look and the idea of having the case more or less open to my seating position at head level seems odd. I love the look of the Define C (same case with dampening foam, without the mesh front)...but I'm planning on sticking a hot cpu and gpu in there (10850k and 3080). I've got an Antec p80 that I've been using for a decade, the define C looks very similar, but the thermals have been an issue in the past with hotter parts (though it's fine with the 970, the old 8800 was toasty)

My basic setup would be https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DHJtcq

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Master
i9 10850k with a Noctua NH-15 (considering the NH-15S for the gpu offset)
32GB (2x16) G.Skill ripjaws 3200 CL14
Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB m.2 nvme

Carrying forward my 970 gpu and Seasonic SSR-850-TD psu.

This is very close to where I am ending up on this computer that started as a monitor....   Exact same Mobo, CPU, Cooler & PSU. Makes me feel good.

Except i'm going to carry my CL15 3000 32GB forward at least for now, the two options I consider for upgrade are mainly this ridic $390 setup (3800/CL14!@!!):
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/43wkcf/gskill-trident-z-neo-32-gb-4-x-8-gb-ddr4-3800-memory-f4-3800c14q-32

or a more reasonable $230 on a good day for 32gb setup that would still be sizable upgrade (4400/CL19)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vVVD4D/patriot-viper-steel-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-4400-memory-pvs416g440c9k

Staying away from ram because there is no sale price that is amazing me and I'd much rather stick to Corsair as I have for so long now and it annoys me that there aren't a lot of 4000+ CL15-16 setups yet and that those that might exist aren't listed on the mobo's compatability chart though with intel setups that hasn't really been a true problem since forever ago for me at least.

-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3199 on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:23 PM

One of the weirder hesitations I have is whether to wait a bit because of 'the future'  why so serious?

I'm an intel guy, so the lack of PCIe 4 is a thing. Not a huge deal on its own, especially early on. As I've mentioned earlier, I'm also tempted to wait for what might only be a rumor - a 20GB version of the 3080. Those two things are directly related, thanks to directstorage and the concept of streaming compressed assets directly into the gpu. I feel that's going to be a clear bandwidth hog, and my outside bet is that it will also like a big pool to dump into. Since we're talking about an installed base that will largely not have both in place, it's a future problem...but I'm also building for a longer lifecycle on this one (in case my fun money disappears next year!).

I know trying to game 'the future' is a fool's errand, build the best thing on the shelf today and don't second guess later. But with the new consoles also looking at optimizing storage, my spidey-sense is telling me this might be an actual thing. I'll likely still build now in advance of actually available 3080s (and likely cave to get a 10GB version), I'll mention it here so I can point and laugh at myself from the wasteland in 2024 during the Third Inauguration of the First Emperor.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3200 on: September 10, 2020, 05:10:39 PM

Need a laptop for doing development work on, someone tell me this is the wrong choice?  Budget is up to 1500 but I'd love to stay at 1k.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/inspiron-17-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-17-3793-laptop/cai173w10p1c32

Needs are obv good big screen, good keyboard, at least quad core good cpu, 16gb, ssd and something that doesn't look like Hannah Montana would own it.

Don't cares are weight, graphics, fancy bullshit like fingerprint scanners.

Nice to haves are touch screen and metallic case but I can live without as evidenced by my link.

Why don't you try our other games?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3201 on: September 10, 2020, 09:05:13 PM

For Windows or Linux notebooks, you can do a lot worse than Dell. My only suggestion would be to switch to the Latitude line, which I have found more durable and "work ready". I had a 13" Latitude 7400-ish model a few jobs ago that was one of my favorite computers ever.

I would stay away from touchscreen, the glossy fingerprinted screens bug the heckins out of me.

Let the other guys rip me apart for this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/all-deals/latitude-7400-laptop/spd/latitude-14-7400-laptop/s092l740014us
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3202 on: September 11, 2020, 06:32:06 AM

If this is for working and nothing compute intensive, and it is for working from home. I'd cut money out of your budget for a separate keyboard and monitor.

Working from home got so much more relaxed when I stopped trying to tap away on a laptop keyboard.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3203 on: September 11, 2020, 06:44:42 AM

If this is for working and nothing compute intensive, and it is for working from home. I'd cut money out of your budget for a separate keyboard and monitor.

Working from home got so much more relaxed when I stopped trying to tap away on a laptop keyboard.

Good points, but I have a nice dual monitor Ryzen 5 rig I built recently.  Basically just sick of sitting in the same place all the time.  Want to do more work outside.

Hawkbit's comments made me go back and look again, think maybe this and I'll just buy memory for it. If only they'd ship it without memory or a drive.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-17-laptop/spd/xps-17-9700-laptop/xn9700cto200s

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3204 on: September 15, 2020, 09:52:57 AM

Couldn't get myself happy with any options Dell had even though I so wanted to be happy with an Dell XPS.  Couldn't justify the pricetag and couldn't get past the fact that Ryzen offers equal performance or better at half or less the price, so abandoned ship, scoured Reddit and Youtube reviews and went with this.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GDCLSXP

If it lives up to its promise, wow what a beast of a machine for the price.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3205 on: September 15, 2020, 11:20:43 AM

I'm likely going to try my hand at a Founders' Edition 3080, but the rest I'm going to punt to Rocket Lake. Building for longevity and I'm going to make a bet on directstorage.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3206 on: September 16, 2020, 07:12:45 AM

3080 reviews and benchmarks are out of embargo...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review

Tl;Dr card makes pretty pictures go fast.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3207 on: September 16, 2020, 10:00:59 AM

One reason I'm considering trying for the FE is a very unsubstantiated rumor that the beefy cooler on them is a loss leader and that nvidia has been reserving the cream of the bins for their own skus. I forget the link now (sorry), but the author had info about the cooler's manufacturer and was of the mind that the FE design itself was boosting early reviews/scores. And that AIBs would be jacking the prices and not achieve the same level of cooling (unless you splash out for it, as they don't loss lead).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3208 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:40 AM

I think that is true to a degree on all founders editions, usually makes them the best purchase for the first 6 months to a year. Equally though if you are buying in a year's time you'd expect the bins issue to be les of a big deal once manufacturing is worn in.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3209 on: September 16, 2020, 11:10:08 AM

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm considering. Either I get a FE or live with my 970 in a Rocket Lake build for a while.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3210 on: September 16, 2020, 11:24:29 AM

3080 reviews and benchmarks are out of embargo...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review

Tl;Dr card makes pretty pictures go fast.
Good to see native 4K gaming at 60fps stable is finally a reality at non-crazy prices. That'll be my next build (going from 1080p to 4k) but I'm not in any hurry so I'm waiting to see what AMD releases*, how the election goes, whether or not I get a work bonus this year, etc.

* Not that I would get an AMD graphics card (LOL drivers) but it may affect NVIDIA pricing and other stuff
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3211 on: September 16, 2020, 12:16:51 PM

I'm not going full 4k till I can get an Oled monitor supporting it at earthly prices. The current trade off between speed and colour quality on monitors infuriates me.

But my 970 based system does need to go.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3212 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:51 PM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3213 on: September 16, 2020, 01:45:26 PM

48", who do you think I am? Sky?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3214 on: September 17, 2020, 07:30:11 AM

48", who do you think I am? Sky?
48"? Maybe for the bathroom.  why so serious?

George was a 65" DLP set and I've only gotten bigger with each upgrade. I'm currently at 83", and I feel that's the maximum for my living room. The 75" was a wee bit too small.

I forgot I had PT for my shoulder this morning, so it looks like I'll be holding out for another card as of course all the FE cards are long gone by 10am EDT. My next point of interest is that GA120 board, I'm still tempted to believe it's a 20GB 3080 to trounce Big Navi.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3215 on: September 17, 2020, 08:53:16 AM

Ugh, I got so close. When the notify email for the 3080FE came through, I was able to use that link to actually get a 3080 into my cart...but the site is getting slaughtered. Dozens of timeouts, I used a couple browsers and got to the cart twice. Once it ended up kicking me back to the store page but two other times I was able to get to the final confirmation page...and it's now returning an out of stock error. So close.

What a goddamned tease!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:26:40 AM by Sky »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3216 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:41 PM

Yeah, these appeared to sell out any just about any price around here locally within an hour or two.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3217 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:12 AM

I've ordered my new shiny toys, but mentally I'm viewing it like a kickstarter. Just forget about until it randomly shows up one day as a nice surprise for future me.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3218 on: September 26, 2020, 01:41:54 AM

Instability being reported in some AIB 3080 cards. Apparently because the reference spec was borderline on power filtering, and some cards haven't even met the reference spec.

Founders Edition, Asus, EVGA and probably some others are ahead of the reference spec and will likely not have the same issue.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real-what-can-be-investigative-within-the-crashes-and-instabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

Instability is only at high boost clocks, so seems likely the fix will be updating the weaker cards to throttle the boost clock.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:07:36 AM by eldaec »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3219 on: September 26, 2020, 12:33:34 PM

Yep, going to be a bunch of folks with stinkers that will be underclockers. Happy that a lot of scalpers are hopefully screwed (and people who buy from them might learn a lesson?).

I would've won the lottery because I was trying to get FE or the MSI.

But yeah, it's a mess. Good reminder to not buy launch hardware. Now I'm conflicted about preordering the PS5...
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: