Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853838 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3255 on: January 25, 2021, 05:45:52 AM

Has any console in the history of gaming ever released enough units at launch to make scalpers useless?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3256 on: January 25, 2021, 10:01:53 AM

No but this launch is particularly egregious. I just really wish I could put my card and name on a list and just tell Sony to ship one when they have one at retail price. If it’s in a year, fine. I just won’t worry about scalpers and bidding and whatever.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3257 on: January 25, 2021, 01:38:41 PM

Well, looks like we're now planning two PC builds in the household. My son has been saving up for one, and I've decided to update mine as well. I might keep the same case as it's been really good as far as noise, cooling and overall aesthetic. Everything else probably has a couple generations ahead of it. Best part, wife is fully onboard.

This NVIDIA card availability is a big downer on the entire process. What a fucking shitshow.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3258 on: January 25, 2021, 02:11:03 PM

There are Discord servers out there with bots that notify you when graphics cards (and PS5s too, actually) become available, you just have to be quick to order them: keep yourself logged in to all the usual suspects, have your payment info saved, etc. I can get you guys invites if you want, just PM me here or on Discord.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3259 on: January 25, 2021, 02:37:58 PM

Has any console in the history of gaming ever released enough units at launch to make scalpers useless?
No but this launch is particularly egregious. I just really wish I could put my card and name on a list and just tell Sony to ship one when they have one at retail price. If it’s in a year, fine. I just won’t worry about scalpers and bidding and whatever.
The lack of in-person in-store purchasing is what is allowing scalpers to go wild, or more specifically an enforceable "limit 1 per customer" setup, though even that has it limits (e.g. Chinese scalpers paying people to buy iPhones in the US back when it was hard to buy them in China).
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3260 on: January 25, 2021, 09:01:36 PM

I've done something dumb, but it works.

Back on Boxing Day 2019 I bought a Dell XPS notebook which was a mistake as I really didn't need an ultrabook, especially not the one with the superfluous 4K screen. Then along came the pandemic and working-from-home and it became a tax writeoff. So I kept it as my daily driver.

My PC gaming was on an Alienware Alpha R1 (NVidia 860M equivalent GPU) plugged into my 4K TV. But in the Black Friday 2020 sales, I bought a 3070 (at a 20% discount) and a Razer Core X Chroma eGPU box to house it.

It's ridiculous, but now I can run anything. You'll find me sitting in the corner with the eGPU next to my armchair, playing games at 4k on a 13" screen. Or through in the home office, plugged into the dual 1440p monitors. Or alt-tabbing between stupidly high-spec games and my work.

Next time I'll just build a PC.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3261 on: January 25, 2021, 11:12:57 PM

The lack of in-person in-store purchasing is what is allowing scalpers to go wild, or more specifically an enforceable "limit 1 per customer" setup, though even that has it limits (e.g. Chinese scalpers paying people to buy iPhones in the US back when it was hard to buy them in China).
It occurred to me that places like Amazon and E-Bay could kill like 90% of the scalping market dead almost instantly if they were willing to enforce a strict policy of placing a markup cap on "New" hot item products.  Like, if E-bay introduced a rule that said "if we catch you selling a PS5 for more than 10% going market rate, we ban your ass", and put this rule into effect for the first say, 5 months of the launch of any "super hot item" such as Game consoles or new phones, most of the scalping market would basically evaporate overnight.  Sure, a small segment might go underground or try selling through shady sites, but if the big players clamped down on their marketplaces, most of the quick money types would be effectively priced out of the market.   If they can't make big bucks on fast turnarounds, it isn't worth the effort.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3262 on: January 25, 2021, 11:42:52 PM

It occurred to me that places like Amazon and E-Bay could kill like 90% of the scalping market dead almost instantly if they were willing to enforce a strict policy of placing a markup cap on "New" hot item products.  Like, if E-bay introduced a rule that said "if we catch you selling a PS5 for more than 10% going market rate, we ban your ass", and put this rule into effect for the first say, 5 months of the launch of any "super hot item" such as Game consoles or new phones, most of the scalping market would basically evaporate overnight.
I posted about this earlier but Amazon has done that -- there are no secondary seller listings for PS5s on Amazon. The first few days after the launch there were scalpers selling on the main listing page but Amazon but a kibosh to that quickly. Then scalpers tried to create their own product pages and Amazon killed those too. eBay of course gives no fucks and let's scalpers go wild on there. Amazon, however, has Sony to keep happy if Amazon wants to keep being an authorized reseller of Sony products so Amazon has financial incentive to keep the scalpers off whereas places like eBay, Yahoo Auctions (JP), Craigslist, etc. could care less.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3263 on: January 26, 2021, 04:30:24 AM

Scalpers are why eBay exists; why would they go after people who make them money?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3264 on: April 11, 2021, 10:21:19 AM

So, picking a bad time to do an upgrade, but my aging rig (Asus M5A97 R2.0 mainboard, NVidia 970 TI, 16 gigs RAM, AMD FX-4300 ~3.8 GHz 4 core CPU) is starting to experience some crashes to reboot, and I'd just as soon replace most all the guts as do an extended troubleshooting process.

Obviously, new video card is just not going to happen, but I see some fairly reasonable prices for mainboards and CPUs out there. Anybody got any suggestions? For compatibility purposes I'd just as soon stay with AMD. Money isn't really that much of a problem, but I'm opposed to spending $1000 plus on a video card just out of principle.

Just noticed that I'm also running a 600 watt power supply, which strikes me as somewhat low nowadays. What's a good power supply like now?

All suggestions welcome, and if anybody has a secret stash of GPUs I wouldn't mind hearing about that too...

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3265 on: April 11, 2021, 10:33:48 AM

Obligatory what’s your budget question.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3266 on: April 11, 2021, 11:51:43 AM

Like to make it all under a grand, but mostly just don't want to be gouged (such as by a new video card). I'd like to make another lasting update that will keep me happy for years.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3267 on: April 11, 2021, 12:31:20 PM

Okay keeping it under $1000 USD is going to be rough since AMD is missing budget options in the current-gen Zen 3 line since demand for the higher priced stuff is still so high and they had no competition from Intel at AMD's current low-end Zen 3 offering until literally last week.

So what you are looking for at a minimum is something like:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x (cheapest Zen 3 CPU currently)
AMD B550 motherboard (X570 is the "enthusiast" Zen 3 chipset)
16 GB DDR4 RAM at >= 3200 MHz

The MSRP of the 5600x is $299 but finding it for less than $350 is a challenge right now. For a basic B550 motherboard you are looking at $80 - $120. Memory is $80+. So that's $510, assuming you can find a CPU at $350, leaving you not a whole lot for a GPU, which you won't be able to find so it doesn't really matter. If they were available at their MSRP an RTX 3060 at around $350 would be ideal for your budget.

Edit: oops $510, not $610
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:32:54 PM by Trippy »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3268 on: April 11, 2021, 01:38:28 PM

Thanks. I meant to leave out the GPU entirely from the budget anyway -- I'll get a new one when the prices are sane.

That's actually not that bad. What would you suggest for power supply? 600 watts enough or do I need to bump that up?

Edit: Good god, the cheapest I'm seeing that CPU is $380 on Newegg. Everybody else has them edging up near $500.

But you know, the funny thing is that I am pretty sure my first 486 chip cost me more. Certainly in adjusted dollars.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:49:19 PM by Mandella »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3269 on: April 11, 2021, 03:40:23 PM

Depends on the GPU you want to get eventually. The power consumption on that CPU is relatively low at about 80W peak power consumption at max steady state (turbo boosts expired). An RTX 3060's minimum recommended power supply is 550 W (170 W power draw for card itself) and an RTX 3060 Ti's minimum recommended power supply is 600 W (200 W power draw for the card).

Edit: at a $1000 budget sans GPU you could look at the 5800X which is often marked up less than the 5600X and is in fact right now selling for its MSRP on Newegg for $449.00. You probably will want to get a bigger power supply though if you go with that CPU since it'll draw an additional 40 - 50 W or so at peak compared to the 5600X.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:51:11 PM by Trippy »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3270 on: April 12, 2021, 06:09:53 AM

Just bought a Alienware R10 with a 3080 in it.  Had a 6-8 week lead time but it came in 5 days. Also bought a 34" ultrawide screen.

This machine is a dream. Because it's a Dell, my company was able to get me a decent system for $2400 and I get to pay pre-tax money.

Plugged in all my stuff in to the back, and pressed a button and it all worked. Love it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3271 on: April 12, 2021, 01:21:07 PM

So I took all of Trippy's recommendations. Ended up buying the $380 chip, so plus taxes and all came to about $600 for the whole deal, which I am not too unhappy about. Happy late Birthday to me. And I should get everything before the weekend.

I am holding off a new power supply and video card until a bit later.

Trippy, if you are ever down this way I owe you a pizza and beer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3272 on: April 14, 2021, 07:03:46 AM

Just bought a Alienware R10 with a 3080 in it.  Had a 6-8 week lead time but it came in 5 days. Also bought a 34" ultrawide screen.

This machine is a dream. Because it's a Dell, my company was able to get me a decent system for $2400 and I get to pay pre-tax money.

Plugged in all my stuff in to the back, and pressed a button and it all worked. Love it.
I mentioned this to the fiancee last night and she was encouraging me to do the same  awesome, for real

I told her that just because I bitch about the state of technology pretty much non-stop...putting together a new pc tends to never be a negative experience. I'm also hesitant to buy something where I can't pick a specific motherboard and a specific GPU, etc, and I like to put Platinum PSUs in my machines, etc.

But at this point it's impossible to actually build the pc I want, so here we are. I figured holding off for Rocket Lake would have been enough time for the stock issues to get better, but, again, here we are.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3273 on: April 14, 2021, 09:08:39 PM

My Laptop's power connector is starting to fail so I have finally said fuck it and ordered a Soldering Iron Kit so I can learn how to fix it myself. I've watched a video about it, and it does not look too difficult, thankfully.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3274 on: April 15, 2021, 06:38:01 AM

Your first solder is never good.

Just bought a Alienware R10 with a 3080 in it.  
(questions redacted)

Fuck it all and fuckin' no regrets.

Alienware R12 ordered. Fiancee asked if I was going to spend the next year and a half debating it before buying  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

The prebuilt option is costing me, since I'm getting it as close to my planned build as possible...I'll likely have to repaste, slap some cooling on the vram and gpu voltage regulators, and order at least one more fan....but FUUUUCK IIIIT
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:46:26 PM by Sky »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3275 on: April 15, 2021, 05:33:40 PM

...I'll likely have to repaste, slap some cooling on the vram and gpu voltage regulators, and order at least one more fan....but FUUUUCK IIIIT

If possible, keep us updated how that goes and if necessary. My kid never got her system and I'm thinking of going the R12 route with her. She was really excited to build her first PC but I don't have the time or patience to stalk GPUs for her.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3276 on: April 15, 2021, 07:14:50 PM

...I'll likely have to repaste, slap some cooling on the vram and gpu voltage regulators, and order at least one more fan....but FUUUUCK IIIIT

If possible, keep us updated how that goes and if necessary. My kid never got her system and I'm thinking of going the R12 route with her. She was really excited to build her first PC but I don't have the time or patience to stalk GPUs for her.

Long long ago my mother bought a top of the line gaming Alienware desktop and it proved how shit prebuilts are to me down the line. Couldn't reinstall OS because it wasn't a real OS disc and you couldn't do anything inside the case because it was some custom hackjob that was borderline inaccessible and couldn't fit standard parts. Again years ago, perhaps lessons have been learned and nobody puts OS on discs anymore.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3277 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:07 AM

Regarding prebuilt, what brands are considered decent at this time? Hoping to not pay the Alienware tax.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3278 on: April 19, 2021, 09:58:21 AM

I checked NZXT's pretty garbage builder site, they only had an option for a 3070 stock. For gpu options, there was (iirc) only a 2070. Only way to get a 30xx card was to order a config with it, and that was only the 3070. I also was thinking about ibuypower's site, but the lead-time on a 3080 is an extra 3 months and the premium on a 3090 is almost $1800 OVER a stock 3070 config.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3279 on: April 19, 2021, 10:43:16 AM

Regarding prebuilt, what brands are considered decent at this time? Hoping to not pay the Alienware tax.
I haven’t checked recently but I’m assuming prebuilts from vendors like Asus, MSI, and Corsair are still decent and will use standard components unlike Dell / Alienware. HP Omen apparently uses some custom parts like Alienware does so I would avoid them.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3280 on: April 19, 2021, 10:50:47 AM

I checked NZXT's pretty garbage builder site, they only had an option for a 3070 stock. For gpu options, there was (iirc) only a 2070. Only way to get a 30xx card was to order a config with it, and that was only the 3070. I also was thinking about ibuypower's site, but the lead-time on a 3080 is an extra 3 months and the premium on a 3090 is almost $1800 OVER a stock 3070 config.
All the boutique BTO sites I just checked supposedly have 3080s with non-crazy lead times and minimum markups. If you can’t wait any longer you can try one those:

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/ (Now owned by Corsair)

https://www.digitalstorm.com/desktops.asp

https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/overview
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3281 on: April 20, 2021, 05:35:10 AM

Your first solder is never good.

Just bought a Alienware R10 with a 3080 in it.  
(questions redacted)

Fuck it all and fuckin' no regrets.

Alienware R12 ordered. Fiancee asked if I was going to spend the next year and a half debating it before buying  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

The prebuilt option is costing me, since I'm getting it as close to my planned build as possible...I'll likely have to repaste, slap some cooling on the vram and gpu voltage regulators, and order at least one more fan....but FUUUUCK IIIIT

Grats. I went this way because I was never going to get a 3080, and that was the only card I was going to get. I have zero complaints and I think I got a pretty damn good deal.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3282 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:45 AM

I ran the configurators on all the sites Trippy linked. It's all about compromises, where and what you're willing to. Some were more accurate to the brands/skus I had been looking at, but stepping back and trying to be objective (as I could cancel my Dell build at that point if I liked one of the others). Right out of the gate, windowed cases and RGB don't work for me (for the R12, it will be put on a dim amber/red or turned off). A couple I got far enough for a delivery est, and it was still like 3 weeks out (vs 4 at Dell, and I'm a week into that now). The closest for me was Falcon, I really liked the config I could get there, closest to what I would've built...but a grand more, with a couple of compromises in spec!

So yeah, I'm good. I know the limits I'm getting and I'm ok with that (I'm basically buying myself a pita to find a short gpu upgrade 5 years from now, I rarely mobo upgrade vs getting a new case at that point). Since it's basically impossible to get a 30xx (I was doing the notification/twitter/app stuff to find one last year, same with PS5), the Dell markup was actually reasonable compared to sourcing an actually available scalped card (and as it turns out, sits pretty fairly amongst the competition, thanks Trippy!).

We could talk about my shed and the price of lumber next  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS swamp poop Heartbreak

My build just went to production, I hope that's not the next limbo. Reports say they seem to be getting stock in 2 week batches, fingers crossed they're freshly restocked right now!

(edited to add: the sheer amount of info videos about these R12s that are intended for miners is obnoxious)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:59:22 AM by Sky »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3283 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:01 AM

I know why I want a 30xx card, but why are the rest of you even bothering?  My 2080 super card destroys every game it has to run in pancake mode, and most things in VR as well.  I wouldn't even consider a 30 series card for normal gaming.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3284 on: April 20, 2021, 09:48:12 AM

Because I have a i5 2500k/970 and want to upgrade to a new pc. I don't want to mess around with it for a few years after I do. Also, crushing some VR at some point when the games catch up more is definitely on the docket. It's a luxury decision for sure, but we've been in hardcore saving mode for a while now and I don't really have other hobbies draining the account (I'm all supplied up for art, when that muse revisits; I have a killer bass guitar; etc). It's just really overdue at this point and I don't feel like protracting it out into a half-ass build-it-as-stock-is-available project. I mentioned it in passing to the old lady and she said getting something I can plug in and enjoy is worth the premium, as well. Who am I to argue!? (maybe I haven't mentioned the airflow upgrades and repasting, but that's minor stuff heh)

Also, a 2080 super is like $1500-2000 on newegg, so
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3285 on: April 20, 2021, 10:03:01 AM

My next thing is buying some VR gear and trying it out.

Not there yet on pulling the trigger.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3286 on: April 20, 2021, 11:37:12 AM

I know why I want a 30xx card, but why are the rest of you even bothering?  My 2080 super card destroys every game it has to run in pancake mode, and most things in VR as well.  I wouldn't even consider a 30 series card for normal gaming.

Additionally what big budget game releases are on the horizon worth upgrading a PC for? Cyberpunk came and went. I don’t see one game still scheduled to release in 2021 that screams to me that I need all the ray tracing I can get up in this bitch.
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #3287 on: April 20, 2021, 11:53:51 AM

Avoid Lenovo prebuilts.  My father wanted a new computer to play around with Blender so he bought one of their AMD Legion towers.  Came with a GTX 1660 Super, one of "their brand" motherboards and a 400W PSU.  GTX 1660 Super recommends a 450W minimum PSU, yet Lenovo only offers a 400W..  Although he hasn't had an issue yet, I've already picked up a PSU on sale to replace the one he has, cause I know its gonna cause him issues.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3288 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:20 PM

Minimum PSU recommendations for GPUs are all way over-generous though.

(Though not saying the PSU might not be undersized)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3289 on: April 20, 2021, 12:36:23 PM

Additionally what big budget game releases are on the horizon worth upgrading a PC for? Cyberpunk came and went. I don’t see one game still scheduled to release in 2021 that screams to me that I need all the ray tracing I can get up in this bitch.
I played Cyberpunk at 720p. On a 4k display. C'mon, man.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: