Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Watches 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watches  (Read 61818 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: December 07, 2009, 10:33:49 AM

So I am to receive a watch for Christmas, and need to select one soon.  I really don't know which brands are good, just want a nice quality watch.  Price range should top out around $400'ish.  Please post any suggestions/advice here.

Been looking at Seiko so far.  I like watch's that look like this one:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=192856&CategoryID=24074

Or for more bling, I might go for this one:
http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=275678&cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-1-_-23-_-MP123

Another thing is that I don't like watches that are to big.  I was looking in Fossil the other day, and most of the watch faces were fucking huge.  I'd like it not to take up half my forearm if possible.

Please suggest away.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:35:55 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:45 AM

If it is a gift, and the price range is $400, you should look at mechanical watches. While they cost more than comparable quartz/electronic watches, they are simply more stylish and better manufactured.

I would suggest looking at something with a ETA/Valjoux caliber in your price range, at $400 you can get something from Revue Thommen, Festina or Zeno, which are usually very good watches. A decent movement in your price range is the "Valjoux 7750". Do an ebay search for that (click me) and you'll see watches ranging from $200 to $4000 and upwards, just to give you an idea on how widely that movement is used, of course varying on the jewels and finish. It is the movement that is used in very high profile Breitlings, Omegas, Longines and so on.

My recommendation: if you spend $400 on a watch, buy a timeless piece of jewelry. For simple timekeeping, a $50 quartz would do too ;).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:00:40 PM

My recommendation: if you spend $400 on a watch, buy a timeless piece of jewelry. For simple timekeeping, a $50 quartz your phone would do too ;).

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:42 PM

I hate watches. When I see somebody look at a watch, it always makes me feel sad.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:21:50 PM

Another thing is that I don't like watches that are to big.  I was looking in Fossil the other day, and most of the watch faces were fucking huge.  I'd like it not to take up half my forearm if possible.

That's a good thing because buying one of those monstrosities is like dropping hundreds of dollars on a butterfly collar.  I see these clowns walking around with Flavor Flav's clock on their wrist!  Oh yeah, they usually do have the clown (or elf) shoes to go with the ridiculous watches.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:10 PM

I have a Seiko Kinetic similar to the first link you posted (slightly different style, and in a silver/gold scheme).  I like it a lot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:45:50 PM

I have a Seiko Kinetic similar to the first link you posted (slightly different style, and in a silver/gold scheme).  I like it a lot.

I have one as well and I hate it.  I got it as a present for graduation and have worn a cheap timex ever since. 

Not sure what help this is beyond the fact that opinions on watches vary. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:43 PM

I was a big fan of my Seiko Moon Phase Chronograph that I wore for over ten years, but I've been wearing a Citizen Eco Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph for the last two years and like it a lot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:17:19 PM

I have one as well and I hate it.  I got it as a present for graduation and have worn a cheap timex ever since. 

Not sure what help this is beyond the fact that opinions on watches vary. 
Heh, yeah, I'm thinking this thread is only just going to show people have some wildly different views on watches, but thanks none the less.  Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about that watch?  It's kind of a prime candidate for me so far..
I was a big fan of my Seiko Moon Phase Chronograph that I wore for over ten years, but I've been wearing a Citizen Eco Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph for the last two years and like it a lot.
Yeah, a friend of mine who's into watches told me he prefers Citizen over Seiko.  They have some nice ones I'm looking into, though a lot of them seem to suffer from the aforementioned huge fucking watch problem.  Hard to judge from online though, so I'm going to run out to the mall after work to see some of these first hand.

Thanks for all the info so far everybody.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:07 PM

I was worried making the move as my Seiko was significantly thinner than my current Citizen  but after a while I didn't notice.  I went with a leather band which helps keep down on bulk a bit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 01:40:01 PM

I stopped wearing a watch on my wrist when I started carrying a phone in my pocket.

I doubt if I will ever go back.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:41 PM

I stopped wearing a watch on my wrist when I started carrying a phone in my pocket.

I doubt if I will ever go back.

Yeah, I would have thought wristwatches would be obsolete as timepieces at this point.  I do occasionally eyeball fancy mechanical watches with envy, though, simply because they're low-tech engineering marvels.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:13 PM

I don't wear a watch or a phone. What's with you people, anyway?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 01:52:15 PM

Yeah, I always sort of felt the same way (I just used my phone as well).  But I got a decent watch a few years back, and its actually kind of nice to have one.  As Kageh said, its just a piece of Man Jewerly.  I don't spend much money on anything apparel related, but having a nice watch is pretty fun.  Makes me kind of feel like a actual adult for some reason  awesome, for real.  

I also don't really have a choice, as its been decreed I shall receive a nice watch as my Christmas gift this year, and thats that.

Besides, if anything a snazzy watch works as a decent conversation starter at a bar.

-Stephen Colbert
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 02:09:08 PM

Watches are awesome.  If you care about fashion on any level above jeans and a t-shirt, they're one of the few ways a guy can accessorize. 

I don't really like metal wristbands, so I wear this and get compliments on it fairly often:

It's a Fossil, but it's a normal size, and only $115.  Of the two listed in the OP, I like the second.  The first one isn't exactly ugly, but it looks like a watch my grandfather might wear.  Whether or not you think that's a bad thing depends on your taste, I guess. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 02:21:22 PM

Ooo, that one does look pretty nice.  I would like to get one of the more complex looking ones, as long as its not gaudy (like you mentioned, the second one I linked looked decent to me).  Some look cool, and then I see ones that look like this monstrosity:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:27:11 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 02:34:04 PM

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 02:34:18 PM

My current watch is a $120 Armitron automatic skeleton watch. It's pretty nice for a cheap watch and gets complimented quite regularly. I don't really do jewellery (I only wear a thumb ring and a closed ring in my ear) but if I had a lot of money I'd buy a really nice watch instead of a nice car.

This one is my watch

If I had about 80k to drop though I'd get a Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Mechanica Grande Complication which looks like this and has a tourbillon to adjust for the changing effects of gravity on the workings as your arm moves about.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 04:24:02 PM

I've had a lower-end Swatch for a few years, and I like it enough.

For me, it's also very useful to have, as I don't have access to my cellphone during the day, so I DO actually need the watch to tell time when I am not at a PC.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 05:52:25 PM

I used to wear a Seiko that looked a lot like this one but then I started carrying a cell.  I like the jewelry aspect to them, but I just can't be bothered to strap it on any more.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:33 PM

I have a $60 Fossil watch I've had for 10 years and have a cell phone that is just a cell phone - no texting, internet, or anything else.  I'm almost as archaic, but not quite.  I do have a fakie $20 Rolex I bought from a street hustler in NY about 7 years ago just because I felt like it was something I had to do while I was there  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Amazingly enough it keeps perfect time and I think I've changed the battery once or twice.

I'm leary of spending too much on a watch because I've got a mild case of excema that flairs up every so often when I wear a watch or my wedding ring.  Would suck to spend a bunch of money on something that's just going to make me itch an hour or two after I put it on. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 06:33:30 PM

I don't like metal bands either (pulls my arm hairs - ouch) so I have one of these on my wishlist:
http://www.amazon.com/Torgoen-Swiss-Chronograph-Computer-T2-01-01-S02/dp/B000TR9TUG

They have a few different styles and colors depending on what you are looking for, but they are around $350.

But!! It's always good to see a watch in person so you can tell how big it really is. This trend for HUGE men's watches sucks.

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 07:11:46 PM

This is my watch. I've been really happy with it. It has enough gizmos that it is fun but isn't overloaded with stuff to the point of looking really cluttered. I like the perpetual calender a lot because I am constantly dating things and like to be able to look down and see the date and never have to mess with it (you even set the leap year). There are a few color/band (including metal) combos that you can get this model in:

I also dig that Fossil one up there with the exposed gears.

-H.L. Mencken
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:34 PM

If you're going to buy a watch, buy a nice pocket watch. Screw those arm bands. Otherwise, yeah, I would use a phone. But then that is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 07:49:59 PM

Say, I have a very slightly used Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk if anyone is interested.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

While on Amazon I ran into this watch, I think I know what my to-self christmas present is this year (if I don't get a nicer watch from the wife):

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:57:19 PM by Viin »

- Viin
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 09:45:02 PM

I'm another fan of the Eco Drives.  I've had my Stainless Steel Diver's watch for almost ten years and the only thing I've had to do to it is change the date occasionally.

I really don't see myself changing to something else any time soon.  In part because, unlike my similarly hairy Dad, I can't stand bracelet straps so it's either plastic or NATO straps for me.  Those two types pretty much scream Diver's watch and I've got quite a nice one now awesome, for real.

As for using watches at all, I've grown up wearing them and even though I almost never leave the house without my phone and MP3 player I still feel strange dressed without a watch.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:47:52 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 04:57:40 AM

If you care about fashion on any level above jeans and a t-shirt, they're one of the few ways a guy can accessorize.

Jeans, shoes, and a t-shirt is all the accessory a guy needs. Cell Phones are the new watch. Though I do love me some skeleton faces.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 05:28:27 AM

I think this watch is one of the coolest I have seen in ages. Sadly it's still a concept and hasn't been put up for sale (It's made by the Japanese design house 100% design)

If money was no object I would get myself something by MB&F, probably the Horological machine No.3

Or Cabestan's Winch Driven Vertical Tourbillion, for a cool $400,000.

Lastly there is Haruo Suekichi who makes very steampunk-esque pieces at the rate of almsot one per day. Each one is unique and he makes them in his stall in a flea market in Tokyo. His watches aren't expensive, so I hope to buy one sometime just on the basis that they are so awesome.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:10 AM

I think this watch is one of the coolest I have seen in ages. Sadly it's still a concept and hasn't been put up for sale (It's made by the Japanese design house 100% design)
If that's a Tokyoflash watch, those are of notoriously shoddy craftmanship.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:39 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 09:11:25 AM

Heh, well Ab apparently has similar taste to me.  Turns out I needed to pick a watch by last night so some crazy coupon stacking thing could be used to get 60% off the price.  After looking online all day then going and looking at all the watch's in person, I chose this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Perpetual-Calendar-BL8000-54L/dp/B00074HDAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1260295626&sr=1-1

Which I now see is basically a blue version of the one Ab posted.  Thanks again for the advice though everybody.  You may now continue posting insane $100,000 watches, and rants against wearing them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:08:26 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:56 AM

This thread reminds me that I need to invest some Xmas dough into getting my grandfather's Omega repaired. I could take it to Macy's and send it out for service, but I'd really like to find a shop that does it in house -- and that will promise not to clean up the scuffs that he left on the crystal.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 09:54:31 AM

THIS is the watch that replaced my Seiko kinetic.  

The Timex has been more reliable and is essentially a throwaway.  If it gets ruined by chemicals in the lab, I just spend $25 and I have another the next day.  

Edit: Ab, that's a great watch!  Nice choice. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:29:51 AM

The Timex has been more reliable and is essentially a throwaway.  If it gets ruined by chemicals in the lab, I just spend $25 and I have another the next day.  

Heh, I just remembered that the last time I wore a watch was when I worked at a science museum in high school.  I accidentally magnetized it and I haven't worn a watch since.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 11:28:19 AM

Heh, I just remembered that the last time I wore a watch was when I worked at a science museum in high school.  I accidentally magnetized it and I haven't worn a watch since.

I've lost more watches to acid and our NMR than I have to any other cause.   

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Watches  
Jump to: