Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Watches 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watches  (Read 61697 times)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 02:15:36 PM

I've lost more watches to acid and our NMR than I have to any other cause.   

Uh. How do you not get in to trouble for this?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 03:36:45 PM

Uh. How do you not get in to trouble for this?

I wrote the grant that purchased it.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cheap watches won't quench a larger magnet. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:43:13 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 05:42:44 PM

Heh, well Ab apparently has similar taste to me.  

Well now I know you are a very discerning person.  awesome, for real

You'll like that watch. Take some time to learn how to do everything with it as the way you set the different functions is a bit odd with pulling out the crown one stop, setting what you are trying to do, then pulling it out a second stop to actually set it. You also just get the minute hand going with a twist of the crown and it will track around to get to the time you want and then you twist it a bit to stop the rotation. The first few times it seems like a huge pain in the ass but one you get the hang of it it is really easy and actually pretty slick. Keep the manual around for a while.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:50 PM

I really like that watch.  Great choice.

If you care about fashion on any level above jeans and a t-shirt, they're one of the few ways a guy can accessorize.

Jeans, shoes, and a t-shirt is all the accessory a guy needs. Cell Phones are the new watch. Though I do love me some skeleton faces.

Couldn't disagree with that more.  Most people are going to notice a well dressed person (with or without watch) than just another guy in jeans, whatever threadless t-shirt they put on that day, and the latest iphone (obviously this doesn't apply in college or hipster circles). 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:55 PM

You all missed the pool-mate!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/01/pool-mate-watch-packs-built-in-accelerometer-to-track-laps/

A watch that can tell what stroke you are swimming, count number of strokes per lap and track your laps & splits w/o having to hit a button!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 08:53:18 PM

Many people notice a good watch. It's one of the few pieces of male jewelry you can own and still have a classic look.

My advice is go with something you know will last for 20+ years, hold the value, and pay accordingly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 10:20:56 PM

If I had about 80k to drop though I'd get a Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Mechanica Grande Complication which looks like this and has a tourbillon to adjust for the changing effects of gravity on the workings as your arm moves about.

I suppose that's what you buy if you can't stretch to this one:

I do like rose gold on watches and skeletons are pretty neat, but even if I somehow end up wealthy I can't see myself wearing anything that expensive on my wrist. Have you seen the belt-driven Tag Monaco?

Clever but ugly. I'd still prefer one of their 'cheaper' watches:

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 06:29:04 AM

I don't wear watches mostly because I either break them or they just stop working.  I've either thrown out or, if they were pricey, given away all my watches over the years.  I have one left that was a promotional item from something I worked on back in the olden days.  It's very rare and I've never worn it, but it's still somehow broken.  Anyway, it probably wouldn't help my issues with time or memory.  They're a habit it took a lifetime to cultivate, much to the chagrin of everyone I know.  I'm always either too early or too late or I forget to show up at all.

Anyway, I really like those ones with their innards out.  They're like very classy zombie watches.  But what the fuck is in a watch that costs over a 100K?  With ladies watches that cost tons of money, you can tell what makes them so pricey.  It's the diamonds piled all over them.  Mens, though, if they're not big giant ugly hunks of gold, what makes them special enough for that sort of price?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 06:54:35 AM

But what the fuck is in a watch that costs over a 100K? enough for that sort of price?
Some people just want to spend $100k on a watch.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:00 AM

I've just got a fairly low-key cheap Swatch. I tend to end up scratching any watch I own quite a bit so I wouldn't want one of those incredibly expensive watches. It's useful for knowing the time and I could never be bothered taking my phone out of my pocket whenever I wanted to check. I fail at wearing it as jewellery too since I have the watch face on the under-side of my wrist so I can check the time when I'm teaching without making it obvious and I've just gotten used to wearing it that way.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 08:52:31 AM

Anyway, I really like those ones with their innards out.  They're like very classy zombie watches.  But what the fuck is in a watch that costs over a 100K?  With ladies watches that cost tons of money, you can tell what makes them so pricey.  It's the diamonds piled all over them.  Mens, though, if they're not big giant ugly hunks of gold, what makes them special enough for that sort of price?

It's usually the complexity and durability that marks the value; although as with all things there are many watches that are simply fashion items and far overpriced.

This is one of only four Patek Phillipe Calibre 89's ever made. It is the most complex personal timepiece ever made, it has 1,728 pieces and is worth around $6m. It has 33 complications (functions other than telling the time in hours minutes and seconds) and is just a fantastic piece of work, both as a machine and as a piece of art. Simpler pieces derive their cost in a similar way, they may not be covered in jewels, but the materials are still often expensive and the cost is justified by having a watch that in theory doesn't break, while still being incredibly complex.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 09:21:26 AM

There is all kinds of interesting materials science that goes into very expensive watches.  Things like accounting for differences in movement as temperature or pressure or even gravity changes.  Watches so accurate that they only loose 1 second over years of use no matter what you do while wearing it.  Some people are willing to pay for that but that's still never going to seem 'rational' to 99.99999% of people interested in what time it is.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 09:26:27 AM

Or you could just get an atomic watch like I recently did (it was one of Amazon's "all-week Black Friday" deals) for < $100.

Edit: "atomic watch" as in a watch that can pick up an atomic clock radio signal and set itself to that
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:28:03 AM by Trippy »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 09:33:46 AM

I'm really not much of a jewelry person.  The cleverness and art involved in those pieces are all well and good, but it's also not something you're likely to carry around with you to tell time, is it?  Even if it's on a fancy stick.  That $130K watch is, though, which is why I wondered what would make it cost that much.  I wouldn't think it would be worth it unless you're really, really careful or you just don't care about how much money you waste when you accidentally bang it on your desk or something.  When I see men running around with those giant golden Rolex watches or women with thousands of dollars worth of jewels piled on, mostly I just think it's kind of obscene.  Unless they've made it themselves or something.  I guess.  But then, I think I might secretly be a Georgist.  Maybe an Anarchist, too.  Depends on how much I take a dislike to the person showing off all their expensive shit.

Ok, maybe I WOULD carry around an expensive watch on a fancy stick for a laugh. 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:42 AM

You could also wear a top hat!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 10:19:28 AM

This is one of only four Patek Phillipe Calibre 89's ever made. It is the most complex personal timepiece ever made, it has 1,728 pieces and is worth around $6m. It has 33 complications (functions other than telling the time in hours minutes and seconds) and is just a fantastic piece of work, both as a machine and as a piece of art. Simpler pieces derive their cost in a similar way, they may not be covered in jewels, but the materials are still often expensive and the cost is justified by having a watch that in theory doesn't break, while still being incredibly complex.

But can it track my arm motions to tell what stroke I am swimming? pffft!
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:14 PM

I have an Omega Speedmaster Pro (Moonwatch), and with any luck it will be on my wrist and in great condition in 40 years time.

As for the previous posts mentioning magnets, the Rolex Milgauss is proof against that type of thing. Lovely looking watch albeit overpriced as with all other Rolex's.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 12:27:04 PM

Tabula Rasa paid for this watch  awesome, for real

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/spacewalk/

Richard Garriot's Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk watch

Specifications:

Caliber:
Spring Drive Chronograph 5R86

Case:
High-intensity Titanium
Diameter 53.0 mm (12-6h) , 48.7 mm (3-9h)
Thickness 15.2 mm
Weight 92.5 g

Glass:
Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating

Water resistance:
10 Bar

Bracelet:
The final specification is yet to be decided. SEIKO is now working with
the Russian Federal Space Agency on the optimum design.

Spring Drive Chronograph Caliber 5R86:
Hour, minute and second hands with calendar
GMT hand
Power reserve indicator
50 jewels

Movement Diameter:
30.0 mm
Thickness: 7.6 mm

Other:
416 parts
Power reserve: 72 hours with/without chronograph function in use
Chronograph to 12 hours

==============
Available in 2010 in a 100 piece limited edition release:
SEIKO Spring Drive Spacewalk, the Commemorative Edition
Approximate recommended retail price:   US$28,000

If it wasn't for the price - I'd get one =)
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31:04 PM

More colorful than the game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:28 PM

It's pretty with the glowy blue but I'm still thinking those inside out watches are the prettiest.  If I wore a watch and was a fucking rich asshole, I would definitely get one of those disgustingly expensive ones. 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:03 PM

I'll only get a 100k watch if it shoots lasers and can deflect bullets.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 04:38:28 AM

I have avoided this thread long enough...  I have quite a few automatics in my rotation, different watches for different suits and ties.  It is my secret shame. 

While you can not afford an IWC, Panerai, Audemars Piguet, Rolex or Omega at the moment; there are some nice watches out there under your four hundred dollar mark. 

For your budget, I would strongly suggest buying a watch on eBay from a reputable seller who is an authorized dealer.

I am not sure about the reliability of a mechanical watch in your target range.  So, if you are ok with a quartz movement, I would go with Citizen.

I can not remember if you are still in Japan, but Citizen has some amazing technological marvels such as the solar atomics.  You never have to replace the battery and they are extremely accurate.

I use this one while traveling in sketchier areas, if it was stolen it would not be a huge loss, but I have never worn it with a suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CITIZEN-TITANIUM-ATOMIC-SKYHAWK-BLUE-ANGELS-JY0050-55L_W0QQitemZ310186565834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item48388f60ca

You can get the same basic watch in steel or in black steel in your price range.

There is also this style if you prefer something with a bit less of a military look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Citizen-BY0000-05E-Atomic-Time-Perpetual-Calendar-Watch_W0QQitemZ200416818075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item2ea9c5f39b

Best of luck and enjoy your new accessory.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 05:19:06 AM

I can not remember if you are still in Japan, but Citizen has some amazing technological marvels such as the solar atomics.  You never have to replace the battery and they are extremely accurate.
They aren't that amazing as I got my Casio solar atomic for $50.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 11, 2009, 09:55:42 AM

There are some amazing models, as well as bargain basement ones as well, only available in Japan.

I am ashamed to say I have a titanium Casio pathfinder as well.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 02:37:59 PM

They aren't that amazing as I got my Casio solar atomic for $50.

... from a legit looking guy on the street in New York City?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 02:52:52 PM

From Amazon. I mentioned it above. Here's the direct link: Casio Men's Waveceptor Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 02:56:38 PM

From Amazon. I mentioned it above. Here's the direct link: Casio Men's Waveceptor Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch

Damn, that's a bargain!  I may be buying a new watch to break.

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 04:49:37 PM

I actually really rather like that one.

How do atomic watches work, do they set themselves or do you press a button? If you travel do they reset themselves?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 07:58:35 PM

Water resistance:
10 Bar

But does it tell you when to take decompression stops?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 08:06:26 PM

Water resistance:
10 Bar

You could probably calculate it using the watch.  The thing looks like it has a built-in slide rule. 

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 08:07:59 PM

How do atomic watches work, do they set themselves or do you press a button?
For my Casio it's either. I.e it will scan periodically on its own or you can do a manual scan/update.

If you travel do they reset themselves?
My Casio is designed to pick up the broadcasting atomic clocks in the US and Japan. Timezone is something you set manually. I.e. the atomic clock just broadcasts "UTC +0000" time (I believe) and the actual time you see on the watch is based on the time zone set. My Casio has timezones from all over the world so you can travel with it but again it won't automatically resync itself if it can't detect the clocks its set to scan for.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 12, 2009, 12:51:22 AM

Meh. 10 bar is nothing. I have a cheapo than can go to 20 bar. Will test it out one day. Promise.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 01:36:11 AM

Water resistance:
10 Bar

The Seiko is a Space Watch not a Diver  awesome, for real

Its was meant to be the first watch rated for free space vacuum (for EVA)

SEIKO Spring Drive Spacewalk is the first watch ever designed and built specifically for use in free space. It was created with the active co-operation of Richard Garriott, online game designer and the adventurer who spent 12 days in space on a mission to the International Space Station (ISS) in October, 2008.
On December 23, 2008 two months after Richard’s return, the remaining two watches were tested in free space during a 5-hour 38-minute Extra Vehicular Activity (EVA) by the Russian cosmonaut, Yuri Lonchakov, who wore one on each wrist during his stay outside the ISS. During the EVA, the watches kept the correct time and the chronographs functioned perfectly. This represents a considerable achievement, given that the watches were worn outside his spacesuit and exposed to violent swings in temperature, zero gravity and strong radiation.

Well why an astro/cosmonaut would need to time anything or actually use a watch in EVA is beyond me but its actually pretty cool. I don't think the Russian space agency really needs a specially designed watch for that but like space tourism - it (Seiko) pays the bills I guess.  
why so serious?

Space watches are seriously cool though.
Omega Speedmaster "Moonwatch" (Official NASA space watch; first watch on the moon and used in Apollo 13 to time the thrusters when the computer went down)
Omega Speedmaster X-33 - The update on the original mechanical speedmaster - discontinued for civialian sales, now only sold to NASA.
Fortis B-42 OFFICIAL COSMONAUTS - another bill payer for the Russians too i guess...
Breitling Cosmonaute - One of the earliest space watches - Scott Carpenter took it up with him on Aurora 7.
Yuri Gagarin probably wore a Russian Poljot, John Glenn wore an early Heuer (now TAG Heuer), dunno what Alan Shepard used (probably didnt wear one).

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:48:57 AM by Ubvman »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 03:32:39 AM

I have avoided this thread long enough... 
Ha!  When I created this thread, you where one of the people I was most interested in seeing their feedback from, considering all your rich/business/corporate/cool dealings (or what ever).  I knew you had to have a watch collections  tongue

Sadly, as I posted above, I actually was forced to make a decision earlier than I thought (the day I made the post....).  So while I appreciate your suggestions, it's a bit late.  Also, I've been back in the US the last 2 years, though hopefully that will change soon'ish.

However, you've increased my confidence as the watch I got was a Citizen Eco solar watch like you recommended (and Ab recommended), so wohoo!  This was the watch:

http://www.jomashop.com/citizen-bl8000-54l.html

I liked it because it had lots of nice features, and looked pretty neat.  I do like the first watch you linked, but I'm sort of torn on those watches.  They look off (too..... busy?).  Not sure if they would really seam gaudy, though the one you linked looks better than most.  I just decided to go with a less busy watch that looked a bit more artsy (I guess).

-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 07:06:01 AM

Meh. 10 bar is nothing. I have a cheapo than can go to 20 bar. Will test it out one day. Promise.

Make sure to let us know what the water's like down at 190m awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Watches  
Jump to: