Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:44:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  (Read 104417 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #70 on: October 24, 2009, 04:37:09 PM

WoW overcame this problem by creating classes that could spec for both healing and non- or less healing roles.  I think that this is a start on the move away from the tired tank-healer-dps trio, but there's still a long way to go. 

Yep... though I am more than a little curious as to how the leveling/skill up function will work in the next FF mmo.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 24, 2009, 04:56:30 PM

WoW overcame this problem by creating classes that could spec for both healing and non- or less healing roles.  I think that this is a start on the move away from the tired tank-healer-dps trio, but there's still a long way to go. 

I agree, that it's start and little else. You can still do some group quests (did WOTLK even have any of those? I stopped playing in the middle of Arena Season 3) with a casually put together group.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 25, 2009, 03:54:50 AM

Yes, Wrath has group quests.  However, unlike previously they tend to not have prerequisite quests.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:50 PM

Thanks to newsletter #48 now peddling the same content I'm unsubscribed from even the mailing list.

I'd usually read them to see whats going on in WAR but with the usage of it from August to peddle other games with no real changes I'm done.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:47 PM

This is kind of interesting:

WAR Endless Free Trial

We’ll soon be lifting the 10-day restriction on our Free Trial! You'll be able to enjoy the trial experience and New User Journey for as long as you like!
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 01:37:58 PM

WAR Endless Free Trial

We’ll soon be lifting the 10-day restriction on our Free Trial! You'll be able to enjoy the trial experience and New User Journey for as long as you like!

Day of the Rope!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:51 PM

Well, they do worse than go F2P like DDO and survive.  DDO is huge atm AFAIK from just playing it a few times.  F2P with MTs could help.  Oh wait, it's pseudo-unbalanced-PvP so no. 
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 02:37:26 PM

Going Free with Store would be one of the few things they could do to get me take a second look.  But CoH is the one I really want to go FwS.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:13:20 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #78 on: October 30, 2009, 02:40:56 AM

WAR Endless Free Trial

Andy confirmed this on the vnboards.  It's going to be interesting to see how they cap the trial accounts.

T1 limited (no point really, normal trial would have people leaving T1)

T2 limited (see the best parts of the game for free, then pay for the bad parts?)  I think this is most likely but T3 scenarios are going to seem awful quiet, immediately after you parted with your credit card information.

Edit typo
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:12:31 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 02:51:39 AM

WAR Endless Free Trial

Andy confirmed this on the vnboards.  It's going to be interesting to see how they cap the trial accounts.

T1 limited (no point really, normal trial would have people leaving T1)

T2 limited (see the best parts of the game for free, then pay for the bad parts?)  I think this is most likely but T3 scenarios are going to see awful quiet, immediately after you parted with your credit card information.

Toll booths to get into different zones after T1. I could see it...straight outta Blazing Saddles.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #80 on: October 30, 2009, 11:24:00 AM

The free trial is already T1 limited so I expect that is where it will stay.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:05 PM

The free trial is already T1 limited so I expect that is where it will stay.

Well hell, free game from 1-11 and then you are stuck at cap? for free? Ok, I am now half interested...  ACK!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 12:23:21 PM

You'd never level out of the low level battlegrounds.  Or can you go past level 11, you just can't access T2?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #83 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:01 PM

Next step is total FTP or shut down, I would think. 
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 30, 2009, 12:41:46 PM

Wait, they're offering the best part of the game, for free?!

I can see a few people re-upping, for free, just to roll through 1-11 over and over again.  I'd at least consider it, rather than dismissing it out of hand.  Even better if you cap at 11 and can't advance.  OH THE HUMANITY.   awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 12:44:54 PM

I think folks have been asking for /exp off for a long time to allow them to stop at 11.  This is pretty much that, for free. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #86 on: October 30, 2009, 01:44:58 PM

Wait, they're offering the best part of the game, for free?!

I can see a few people re-upping, for free, just to roll through 1-11 over and over again.  I'd at least consider it, rather than dismissing it out of hand.  Even better if you cap at 11 and can't advance.  OH THE HUMANITY.   awesome, for real

I am seriously considering it. T1 is by far the best part of the game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 01:52:38 PM

I'm with ya. I may use this oppurtunity to roll a Knight of the Blazing Sun. I wanted to roll one at release, but that got canned.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 02:53:19 PM

Why are my "it's a trap!" senses tingling...

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 03:00:53 PM

Just remember the shine starts coming off in tier 2, and that it's completely gone by tier 3.  You should be fine!
Andy_Mythic
Developers

EA Mythic

Reply #90 on: October 30, 2009, 04:24:24 PM

Realistically, we're not blind to the fact that a rather large portion of our departed community liked, nay loved, the Tier 1 experience. So yeah, we're giving away what that portion of former players may consider the "best part of the game", but you know what? So what? That means that our new and existing players can have a better Tier 1 experience while we do everything in our power to improve Tiers 2, 3 and especially 4.

We're doing whatever it takes to improve our conversion ratio of new trials to subs...just like any other existing post launch MMO does.

Andy Belford
Community Guy
TBD
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #91 on: October 30, 2009, 05:24:43 PM

If the unlimited trial is restricted to T1, then the only benefit is increased population at tier 1.  I'd have thought at this point you would be trying more drastic measures like making destruction free to play till RR40, maybe super rare loot drops on cities/keeps allowing +1 RR increase over 40.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about balance and you could just say Order is meant to be overpowered, they actually pay.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #92 on: October 30, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

One thing that I'm sure has come up, but its the first thing that comes to my mind. This will lead to a whole slew of people capped at level 11, with the best gear possible. Its totally going to twink out T1, and probably make T1 no fun for people whom are leveling up and plan to leave t1.

Honestly, if I was a paying customer, I would be pissed. I think the only way to bypass this is to let demo players actually level to 12, but not enter t2.
Andy_Mythic
Developers

EA Mythic

Reply #93 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:59 PM

If the unlimited trial is restricted to T1, then the only benefit is increased population at tier 1.  I'd have thought at this point you would be trying more drastic measures like making destruction free to play till RR40, maybe super rare loot drops on cities/keeps allowing +1 RR increase over 40.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about balance and you could just say Order is meant to be overpowered, they actually pay.

I will respectfully disagree with you on the benefit.

Also, why on earth would we make Destruction FTP? I'm assuming you do not know the current state of the servers.

As with any faction based MMO, the balance of power swings like a pendulum.

Andy Belford
Community Guy
TBD
Andy_Mythic
Developers

EA Mythic

Reply #94 on: October 30, 2009, 05:39:27 PM

One thing that I'm sure has come up, but its the first thing that comes to my mind. This will lead to a whole slew of people capped at level 11, with the best gear possible. Its totally going to twink out T1, and probably make T1 no fun for people whom are leveling up and plan to leave t1.

Honestly, if I was a paying customer, I would be pissed. I think the only way to bypass this is to let demo players actually level to 12, but not enter t2.

The disparity between those who are "twinked" and those who are not is minimal. I went over the numbers (with the design team) and the actual effect of being at the maximum possible gear (all BiS for lvl 10) and the difference is not enough to make one sit up and be overly concerned. This is further assisted by the fact that there is a softcap that kicks in to enforce what is some pretty steep diminishing returns. Also, we raised the bolster to 10 rather than 8 to further reduce the disparity between Rank 1's and Rank 10's.

Andy Belford
Community Guy
TBD
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #95 on: October 31, 2009, 06:21:23 AM

I will respectfully disagree with you on the benefit.

Also, why on earth would we make Destruction FTP? I'm assuming you do not know the current state of the servers.

As with any faction based MMO, the balance of power swings like a pendulum.

I thought the vast majority of the servers had been closed, I'm not saying making destruction FTP is a great idea, it's pretty out there, but time for great or even good ideas has long passed for WAR.  At the minute you guys are going to work on class balance while the game apparently (given the absolute silence on subscription numbers) slowly bleeds out.  I'd have thought balancing the two great loves of mmo players, free versus overpowered would at least shake things up a bit.  But it's not really a serious suggestion, previous ideas like making levelling faster or forcing scenarios to rotate so people aren't expected to spent hundreds of hours playing Serpent's Passage seem obvious and yet have been (mostly) completely ignored.  When does fear of making things worse, shift to "don't rock the boat"?
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 31, 2009, 06:21:45 AM

I decided to go hve a second look (I'm an idiot ok  Ohhhhh, I see. ). Darklands no longer existed so I transferred my toons to Volmar. Well, I tried to. One transfer stuffed up - confirmation that it had gone to Badlands even though I checked the confirmation carefully for it to go to Volkmar and verified it. So much for my L32 IB - I don't know anyone that plays order on Badlands. So my WH (24) gets to Volk ok. Wow - graphics are still crap and there is zero immersion in the game. Killing things feels like... ummm.... ummm... nothing. Barely any Order around, Destruction were rolling everywhere. Scenarios don't pop - well not in the hour I waited for one to pop before logging the hell off. PvE is still rubbish. Mobs re-setting after they flee etc. I didn't even bother with the new content - thank god checking it out is free.

I'm sorry - this game has not got better at all. It's junk and although the early game was a hell of a lot of fun in the day, it's dated worse than WoW or heck, even EQ. Rose coloured glasses I gues - but I really hadn't remembered how bad the game was. It needs to be left to die - the sooner the better.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Dragnet
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 31, 2009, 07:04:28 AM

with two factions, the game never will be have a chance
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 31, 2009, 07:36:48 AM

The serpent's passage thing over and over was a bug in the queue.  Scs are really random nowadays (depending on zone control).  I always queue all, drop Grovod since it's the only one I don't like, and am pleasantly surprised at the diversity.

T4 is actually a good deal of fun for me in SCs.  That's more when 6-mans start.  What I don't like is T3.  LoTD makes things so much easier to level than at release but it's still not a lot of fun.  T3 is inactive.  T4, well you're worthless till you hit 40.  The only thing that pisses me off about T4 is the constant siege on Altdorf across all servers shuts down scs.  At that point I just play an alt.  I got a full set of invader in two runs through Altdorf and while I'm sure I'll do it again I don't want to every night, especially when the renown is awful and I can't get the last drop I want since I only seem to win gold bags instead of purples.

I think the unlimited T1 trial is great, even if it'll make it even easier for the opposite realm to monitor what you're doing.  I still think the game needs a severely truncated road to 40 for players who aren't in powerleveling guilds.

Also like DDO I think this is a game that could thrive on a la carte pricing as they are both games based on that price model in their original form.  Unfortunately I think that's a decision that should've been made at release, as it would've let the playerbase direct what content was created.  For such a system to be attractive to me I'd need a lot more available to pick and choose than there currently is.  Like new races, classes and goodies.  I think a better decision would be being more competitive with the monthly fee as Funcom is making gestures of doing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:40:35 AM by Hayduke »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 31, 2009, 09:36:45 AM

One day of play was pretty much enough to cap a character, including doing some scenarios on the rare occasions they spawn. In terms of attracting new people I wonder if allowing them to taste the other tiers (eg. time limited but not T1 limited) wouldn't work better. I know for the group I tried with once we capped the characters interest in the trial evaporated. And there's not really much sense of RvR given you never see a keep.

Oh, and getting mugged by level 20 skaven in the human capital when you're capped at level 10 is sort of cruel.

That said, especially in Australian primetime, the population seems well below critical mass. Seeing PQ's asking for 6-9 players when there's fewer than that in the entire 1-10 zone. The guild I got bulk invited to had 20 people online and proudly said that it was 4x as much as the next largest.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #100 on: October 31, 2009, 10:10:45 AM

with two factions, the game never will be have a chance

ACK!

-Rasix
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #101 on: October 31, 2009, 10:18:49 AM

The serpent's passage thing over and over was a bug in the queue.

Heh, you have a link for that?  I spent ages in that shitty scenario because of a bug?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Andy_Mythic
Developers

EA Mythic

Reply #102 on: October 31, 2009, 11:08:32 AM

The serpent's passage thing over and over was a bug in the queue.

Heh, you have a link for that?  I spent ages in that shitty scenario because of a bug?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Yes, you did. It was a bug, and an unfortunate one at that. Ages is arguable (if I remember correctly we caught the bug within the first 90 days) and it wasn't something that was evident as most people were queuing for SP anyways since we didn't have the Queue Anywhere feature in game at the time. Remember standing around in the Warcamp for the Scen you wanted to queue for?

Andy Belford
Community Guy
TBD
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #103 on: October 31, 2009, 04:30:55 PM

"Ages is arguable", not to be a dick or anything as I'm really not that upset about wasting my time, I should have known better, but it's only really arguable if you don't consider the first 90 days as that important.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 31, 2009, 08:07:01 PM

This sums up my whole EA-Mythic/Warhammer Online experience:

I petitioned to get my Ironbreaker to Volkmar from Badlands after the transfer stuffed up:

Part of their response: "We are sorry, but unfortunately due to the sensitive nature of your request, you will need to contact our phone support team at 650-628-1001"

GF'd - I live in Australia! I am not going to pay the best part of two subscriptions in international phone calls to move the only toon that I got to T3 to a server that I can play with others on. You can take my credit card details over the internet but you can't deal with the movement of a toon from one server to another via the same email address I have had for 6 years? Dear Mythinc, here's a hint - I have NEVER had to contact Blizzard or CCP by phone to transfer characters that stay on the same account (or move to another owned by me for that matter). Professionalism and customer service go a long way.

Ok maybe I'm over-reacting but screw it, I CBF'd even though IB was the only character I really enjoyed playing.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  
Jump to: